Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking: Jacoby Brissett named Starter

TKnight24

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Remember 2011 when we were like 0-100 and they made the switch from Painter to Orlovsky?  Colts actually played decent ball and had to dump the last game in order to win the Luck sweepstakes.   

Brissett has the be as as good as Orlovsky, and Tolzien is worse than Painter.  

There's some correlation there, all things considered.  Addition by subtraction AND addition.   

Ahhh yes. I member the infamous 0-100 start of the 2011 season.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As I have said before it appears ST is much better in the locker room/film room than SM 

Not debating that.  And that doesn't get to my point at all.   So Brissett gets sacked and hurt and we are ok with Tolzien right back under center?   I'm not a Morris supporter - he knows the offense and could back up Brissett.  Bottom line to me is, when Luck is healthy and plays, the Colts cut one of the QBs anyway.  Who do you think that will be now based on Sunday's  starter?  

Just now, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Not debating that.  And that doesn't get to my point at all.   So Brissett gets sacked and hurt and we are ok with Tolzien right back under center?   I'm not a Morris supporter - he knows the offense and could back up Brissett.  Bottom line to me is, when Luck is healthy and plays, the Colts cut one of the QBs anyway.  Who do you think that will be now based on subdays starter?  

ST for sure but until that day or when someone better is brought in ST needs to stay on the 53

2 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Not debating that.  And that doesn't get to my point at all.   So Brissett gets sacked and hurt and we are ok with Tolzien right back under center?   I'm not a Morris supporter - he knows the offense and could back up Brissett.  Bottom line to me is, when Luck is healthy and plays, the Colts cut one of the QBs anyway.  Who do you think that will be now based on Sunday's  starter?  

If Brissett dies during the game, he may be the one being cut.

I think when all's said and done, Luck will start, Brissett will be the back up, and a 3rd guy, someone we're not presently aware of, will be on the PS.

20 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Not sure I'd go that far lol. He should do better than Tolzein, but its far from a given that we will win.

20 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Chuckwood has to do more then name him as QB to save his job.

duh but he may just survive sunday lol

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

Here's hoping Brissett plays so well that when Luck is ready to play, there is a QB controversy.

:thinking:

Long time reader, first time poster, all the way from Oregon! I have to say that I have been praying for this announcement since about 5 minutes into the Rams game...it was very hard to watch! Not that I'm expecting him to light it up, but I think he gives us a chance to win or at the very least make it interesting to watch.

Sco Colts!

Sco Ducks!

Just now, Roger said:

What? You don't think, however unlikely, that would not be a good problem to have?

That "however unlikely" caveat is much, much larger than I'm guessing you're thinking it is..

And frankly another distraction and more media talking heads trying to speak into existence Luck leaving would not be my idea of a "good problem".

33 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I still have a problem with all this.  To me this means Tolzien is not ever going to be part of the plan.  So why leave him on he roster at all? If you're admitting you blew the decision to start with, which they're doing by giving him one chance one start in 2017, what happens if Brissett gets hurt?  You can't turn back to Tolzien now.  You've just told him, and everyone else, he isn't worth trying to fix, improve, work with. I'm surprised there wasn't a Tolzien cut, Morrris signing.  

100% agree with you. Let Morris be the backup to Brissett. Because if Jacoby gets injured what do you do? Go back to Tolzien?

33 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ST for sure but until that day or when someone better is brought in ST needs to stay on the 53

Why?  He's as likely to have to play as anyone in a backup role on this roster.  Maybe more so.  If the Colts aren't going to play him, if he serves no on field purpose, this roster and this team isnt good enough to use one of 53 spots on a locker room cheerleader or practice field hall of famer.  

1 minute ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Why?  He's as likely to have to play as anyone in a backup role on this roster.  Maybe more so.  If the Colts aren't going to play him, if he serves no on field purpose, this roster and this team isnt good enough to use one of 53 spots on a locker room cheerleader or practice field hall of famer.  

Until AL is practicing you need another QB on the 53 esp. since PM retired

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good news.  And although he has only had a few practices he is a veteran.  He should be able to pick a lot of the playbook. Just needs the wristband. 

He is a second  year player learning a brand new offense.   He is far from a seasoned vet 

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That "however unlikely" caveat is much, much larger than I'm guessing you're thinking it is..

And frankly another distraction and more media talking heads trying to speak into existence Luck leaving would not be my idea of a "good problem".

However unlikely, it has happened.  Wally Pipp getting replaced by Lou Gehrig.  Drew Bledsoe getting replaced by some stiff name Tom Brady...

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is a second  year player learning a brand new offense.   He is far from a seasoned vet 

He's not a seasoned vet but he is a vet with a few starts under his belt I believe.  He knows the drill.  I am sure they simplified the playbook for him.  The wristband is a nice crutch to have.  Certainly not the best of circumstances but not the worst either.  

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All right, good news finally. With the injury to David Johnson and Brissett starting, there is a small spark of life for the Colts this week. Luckily, we face the Browns next week as well in case Brissett pulls off the victory Sunday.

The browns were hanging with the Steelers what's lucky about facing them? 

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Keefer

"a glaring admission that they royally screwed up in going w/ Scott Tolzien."

Kravitz

"They couldn't start Tolzien. Just couldn't." 

Thanks for your OPINIONS there media guys.  Contrary to what your inflated ego is telling you, WE DON'T NEED THEM.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling CP and RC played some head games with Ari. over this

Yes,  and Ballard too.

I've been saying this a lot this calendar year when people have been complaining about the lack of information......

Teams DO NOT give out info sooner than the absolutely have to.     If they feel it helps them --- even just a little bit --- then they will wait for as long as they can before revealing the news.

That's how the NFL game is played.       And for fans who are outraged because you think the Colts "lie to their fans"...   it's what ALL 32 teams do,  not just the Colts.       Everyone is doing it for their own benefit.      Winning is a cut-throat business in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The browns were hanging with the Steelers what's lucky about facing them? 

Well, in theory it's good. Most games weren't exactly blowouts week 1 except ours and the Texans, and the Texans beat the Bengals last night. I'll assume the Browns are still bad until Kizer shows he is competent. Though we are the underdogs Vs the Browns as well unless Brissett can show he's competent as well. 

Not sure what to say, if we can't beat the Browns, then we won't beat anyone without Luck. I know we aren't getting anywhere with Chuck, but I prefer to pretend we are still in it in week 2. :) 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, in theory it's good. Most games weren't exactly blowouts week 1 except ours and the Texans, and the Texans beat the Bengals last night. I'll assume the Browns are still bad until Kizer shows he is competent. Though we are the underdogs Vs the Browns as well unless Brissett can show he's competent as well. 

Not sure what to say, if we can't beat the Browns, then we won't beat anyone without Luck. I know we aren't getting anywhere with Chuck, but I prefer to pretend we are still in it in week 2. :) 

Everyone looked better then us wrek one lol thats what sucks 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Everyone looked better then us wrek one lol thats what sucks 

Yep, offensively I couldn't care less, defensively, It's a huge disappointment. We draft defensive players, and they don't even start the game. Gurley isn't exactly good either. Him with his YPC average will make the forum think our run defense is better than it is, and the same with David Johnson injured. We're lucky he's out, but when an RB worth his weight in salt like Leonard Fournette carries the ball 20+ times for 100+ yds and 2 tds Vs us, then we'll see that the run defense is just as bad as the pass defense. I think Simon is still ok, but so far we've literally hit on one new player (two if you count Mack), and that's not acceptable. We have to let our rookies play and see what happens. If they crash and burn, so be it, if they hit, then a position is filled for the forseeable future.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

There's a pretty sizable gap between "being fine" and "not being any worse than Tolzien".

It's safe to assume he'll be a bit better, but I'm not thinking that a guy who showed up two weeks ago is going to put a cape on and save the day.. Seems like a stretch.

We'll see (hey I can state the obvious!!)..

As long as the team show a slight improvement over last weeks disaster don't care.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, offensively I couldn't care less, defensively, It's a huge disappointment. We draft defensive players, and they don't even start the game. Gurley isn't exactly good either. Him with his YPC average will make the forum think our run defense is better than it is, and the same with David Johnson injured. We're lucky he's out, but when an RB worth his weight in salt like Leonard Fournette carries the ball 20+ times for 100+ yds and 2 tds Vs us, then we'll see that the run defense is just as bad as the pass defense. I think Simon is still ok, but so far we've literally hit on one new player (two if you count Mack), and that's not acceptable. We have to let our rookies play and see what happens. If they crash and burn, so be it, if they hit, then a position is filled for the forseeable future.

I can't agree about Gurley I love him think he's a top RB when he isn't on a team all alone like he has been 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

There's a pretty sizable gap between "being fine" and "not being any worse than Tolzien".

It's safe to assume he'll be a bit better, but I'm not thinking that a guy who showed up two weeks ago is going to put a cape on and save the day.. Seems like a stretch.

We'll see (hey I can state the obvious!!)..

Totally agree people on here are acting like he is the savior he's prolly not that much better then Tolzien lol sure he's prolly better but by how much the pats traded him to us I doubt he's gonna be a top backup talent