TKnight24

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

. I think Simon is still ok, but so far we've literally hit on one new player (two if you count Mack), and that's not acceptable.

Very kind of you to give them one full game before you determined all this.

"

We have to let our rookies play and see what happens. If they crash and burn, so be it, if they hit, then a position is filled for the forseeable future.

"

Said no football coach, ever.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Umm

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Pagano-Still-No-Announcement-On-Starting-Quarterback/2eb7fece-496d-452d-b9b1-81c5a5525c77?sf114408894=1

Is this just poker face stuff??  Why arn't they announcing the starter?  Try to make the cardinals prepare for both QB's??

Why would they announce it? Zero advantage in doing so

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would they announce it? Zero advantage in doing so

I'm not sure how much advantage the other team would get from preparing for Brisset or Tolzien. Brisset has very little game tape and it was in a QB friendly NE offense so that doesn't hold much value. Tolzien doesn't need to be prepared for, just tell the D to take turns picking him off so everyone gets a turn. 

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not sure how much advantage the other team would get from preparing for Brisset or Tolzien. Brisset has very little game tape and it was in a QB friendly NE offense so that doesn't hold much value. Tolzien doesn't need to be prepared for, just tell the D to take turns picking him off so everyone gets a turn. 

Arians: Tolzien will throw a few floaters be ready to take them to the house.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

Very kind of you to give them one full game before you determined all this.

"

We have to let our rookies play and see what happens. If they crash and burn, so be it, if they hit, then a position is filled for the forseeable future.

"

Said no football coach, ever.

I gave them preseason too. :) 

8 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I still have a problem with all this.  To me this means Tolzien is not ever going to be part of the plan.  So why leave him on he roster at all? If you're admitting you blew the decision to start with, which they're doing by giving him one chance one start in 2017, what happens if Brissett gets hurt?  You can't turn back to Tolzien now.  You've just told him, and everyone else, he isn't worth trying to fix, improve, work with. I'm surprised there wasn't a Tolzien cut, Morrris signing.  

Please try to get it out of your head......

Just because Tolzein sucked,  doesn't mean Morris is better.

If Morris was better,  then Chris Ballard would have kept him.      If you don't believe or trust Pagano, then try to believe and trust Ballard.

This is no longer a Grigson administration...........

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For what it's worth,   I heard Arians on NFL Network radio today.....    said he's not planning for either QB.

He's planning for the Colts offense.     Says that's what we're going to be running no matter who the starting QB is.   They're not changing thngs no matter who the QB is.       Said we'll run Frank Gore,  and we'll pass to Hilton and Doyle.

Literally,   that's what he said.    

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

100% agree with you. Let Morris be the backup to Brissett. Because if Jacoby gets injured what do you do? Go back to Tolzien?

Yes,  they will go back to Tolzein.

At this point,  trust in Chris Ballard.       I don't know why that seems unreasonable to you and others?

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, offensively I couldn't care less, defensively, It's a huge disappointment. We draft defensive players, and they don't even start the game. Gurley isn't exactly good either. Him with his YPC average will make the forum think our run defense is better than it is, and the same with David Johnson injured. We're lucky he's out, but when an RB worth his weight in salt like Leonard Fournette carries the ball 20+ times for 100+ yds and 2 tds Vs us, then we'll see that the run defense is just as bad as the pass defense. I think Simon is still ok, but so far we've literally hit on one new player (two if you count Mack), and that's not acceptable. We have to let our rookies play and see what happens. If they crash and burn, so be it, if they hit, then a position is filled for the forseeable future.

In what world is Todd Gurley NOT good?

Over a 1,000 yards and a 4.8 average per carry his rookie year.      And he fell off his 2nd year when the o-line was terrible and there was no decent QB play to keep defenses honest.

Todd Gurley is a very good player.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

In what world is Todd Gurley NOT good?

Over a 1,000 yards and a 4.8 average per carry his rookie year.      And he fell off his 2nd year when the o-line was terrible and there was no decent QB play to keep defenses honest.

Todd Gurley is a very good player.

It seems like he always gets stuffed when I watch him. Granted, that's a fantasy football view, and based on games I see on TV, but he always seems to be very ineffective on offense. I think he'll be a Trent Richardson type, but that's just my opinion, based on his draft position, and how he plays. He's good in the receiving game, but just because he's a featured RB doesn't make him good. That 4.8 YPC was a fluke IMO, and I truly believe he can't carry the team when the opponent prepares for him.

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It seems like he always gets stuffed when I watch him. Granted, that's a fantasy football view, and based on games I see on TV, but he always seems to be very ineffective on offense. I think he'll be a Trent Richardson type, but that's just my opinion, based on his draft position, and how he plays. He's good in the receiving game, but just because he's a featured RB doesn't make him good. That 4.8 YPC was a fluke IMO, and I truly believe he can't carry the team when the opponent prepares for him.

Repeat.....

In Y2, the Rams had an inpet offense that looked like the Colts offense last week.     That's why Jeff Fisher got FIRED!

The O-line was dreadful,  and there was no QB play to keep defenses honest.     Defenses were stacked against Gurley because that was the only threat the Rams had.

If you haven't noticed,  the Rams spent most of their off-season assets drafting, signing and trading for wide receivers,  tight ends,  and O-lineman.      Gurley is a player.

Your eyes are too caught up in Fantasy.

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth,   I heard Arians on NFL Network radio today.....    said he's not planning for either QB.

He's planning for the Colts offense.     Says that's what we're going to be running no matter who the starting QB is.   They're not changing thngs no matter who the QB is.       Said we'll run Frank Gore,  and we'll pass to Hilton and Doyle.

Its true. That's Chud's offense.  Run the ball between the tackles.  Feature one WR heavily.  Feature the TE.  

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's...certainly not good.

Hopefully Chud does a good job spreading the ball around. I remember back in 2015, after Luck got hurt and Hasselbeck took over, the Colts were doing a good job getting the football into other receivers hands. Gotta do that again if they have any shot at beating a tough Cardinals team.

Moncrief I think is the X Factor. AZ recently has had problems with that number 2 corner spot, so hopefully he's able to make an impact early and often. 

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yuck

11 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

This makes me more excited to attend the game. We'll see what he's made of.  I believe he beat the Texans in a start last year, so at least he has a win under his belt?  I don't think it can get much worse than Tolzien.  Hopefully Brissett can make some plays down the field and use his athleticism. Hopefully no turnovers and hopefully the offense can stay on the field.

He had belichek and staff .

coaching and play calling will be paramount this week.

we'll see how chuck and chud do.  Nowhere for them to hide.  They HAVE  to help their players out.  Especially with all the new faces.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please try to get it out of your head......

Just because Tolzein sucked,  doesn't mean Morris is better.

If Morris was better,  then Chris Ballard would have kept him.      If you don't believe or trust Pagano, then try to believe and trust Ballard.

This is no longer a Grigson administration...........

You too have missed the point.  The Colts have decided Tolzien was a mistake.  You can't now go back to him.  You can't if Brissett stinks it up.  You can't if Brissett gets hurt.  And when Luck returns Tolzien will now be the one cut unless they keep 3 which I don't see happening.

You cut Tolzien and sign someone else because Tolzien shouldn't play again for the Colts.  If he isn't good enough to play then he isn't good enough to be a backup in a position which very well might see the field with the Colts o line.  

If Brissett starts Sunday, Ballard is telling the entire planet that Tolzien isn't the answer.  Which means he shouldn't be the backup either.   He can't be next man up.   It isn't like a guard or a young corner or some special teams linebacker you have time to groom.  It's the most critical position on the field.  One for the Colts which only has to tread water, try to steal a win or two, until the starter returns.  

Nowhere in any of this did I say Morris was better.  Tolzien shouldn't be one of 53 if he can't play.  And Ballard and Pagano apparently have just told us all he can't play.  Please try to get that in your head.  What your logic and others is basically saying is that you're fine if Tolzien plays again. Because he's the next man up if Brissett catches a cold, or twists an ankle in he shower or gets blindsided and knocked out.  You may find that acceptable. I find it as bad as the decision to start him.  

42 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

.  What your logic and others is basically saying is that you're fine if Tolzien plays again.

Um, no. What our logic is saying is that, if tolzien has to play again in the event that brissett gets hurt, then that is the necessary evil we will have to endure in the short term until Luck is healthy.

Not sure why Colts staff chose Tolzien over Morris, probably never know, as it seems to be something they refuse to explain.  All I know is what I saw in last years preseason, and this preseason, Morris was the obvious choice.  But what do I know, just a loyal Colts fan who made the move with them from Baltimore, that is kind of running out of patience.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

You too have missed the point.  The Colts have decided Tolzien was a mistake.  You can't now go back to him.  You can't if Brissett stinks it up.  You can't if Brissett gets hurt.  And when Luck returns Tolzien will now be the one cut unless they keep 3 which I don't see happening.

You cut Tolzien and sign someone else because Tolzien shouldn't play again for the Colts.  If he isn't good enough to play then he isn't good enough to be a backup in a position which very well might see the field with the Colts o line.  

If Brissett starts Sunday, Ballard is telling the entire planet that Tolzien isn't the answer.  Which means he shouldn't be the backup either.   He can't be next man up.   It isn't like a guard or a young corner or some special teams linebacker you have time to groom.  It's the most critical position on the field.  One for the Colts which only has to tread water, try to steal a win or two, until the starter returns.  

Nowhere in any of this did I say Morris was better.  Tolzien shouldn't be one of 53 if he can't play.  And Ballard and Pagano apparently have just told us all he can't play.  Please try to get that in your head.  What your logic and others is basically saying is that you're fine if Tolzien plays again. Because he's the next man up if Brissett catches a cold, or twists an ankle in he shower or gets blindsided and knocked out.  You may find that acceptable. I find it as bad as the decision to start him.  

The Colts can use Tolzein as a back-up if Brissett gets hurt.      This wouldn't be the first time this scenario unfolded in the NFL.      This would not be unchartered territory.

Besides,  if Brissett goes down,  then Tolzein would be the third string QB.    Expectations would be extremely low.

We could still play Tolzein.      I think you're reading way,  way too much into things.

36 minutes ago, J@son said:

Um, no. What our logic is saying is that, if tolzien has to play again in the event that brissett gets hurt, then that is the necessary evil we will have to endure in the short term until Luck is healthy.

This organization butchered the QB position this offseason.  And I simply won't ever agree with a stance that says Tolzien is a better option than any one of a number of still unsigned free agents or even a draft pick.  They had a lot of time and had the money to make sure that the backup was better than Tolzien.  They didn't.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts can use Tolzein as a back-up if Brissett gets hurt.      This wouldn't be the first time this scenario unfolded in the NFL.      This would not be unchartered territory.

Besides,  if Brissett goes down,  then Tolzein would be the third string QB.    Expectations would be extremely low.

We could still play Tolzein.      I think you're reading way,  way too much into things.

Maybe.  But the decision to not cover Luck with a capable backup was an enormous miss.  Some take a year to recover from labrum surgery.  So the 6-9 months was best case.   It can just as easily be January 2018 before he's healthy.  Clearly they think he's closer or they wouldn't have pulled him from the PUP list.  But with only 16 games, throwing away even a couple because you don't have a QB when there were alternatives is a bad miss by the Colts in my estimation.  

Tolzien... I just watched, and re-watched him stand flat footed, with poor pocket awareness, and no pocket mobility, lob softballs off his heels, to receivers who weren't open, while open receivers often watched on. Staring down receivers, seeing routes, not coverage or throwing lanes, was consistent with his preseason offerings. All of this was the sum of years of practice and preparation, and all the first team reps of an entire camp.

What bothered me most though, was the absolute dare Wade Phillips put on Tolzien. He packed the box and dared Tolzien to make the downfield throws. Tolzien didn't recognize the disrespect built into their gameplan, nor could he make the throws the few times he tried. What I saw was a clipboard holder, with no capacity to compete mentally or physically on Sundays.

Brissett...  The only alternative to the above.

41 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Maybe.  But the decision to not cover Luck with a capable backup was an enormous miss.  Some take a year to recover from labrum surgery.  So the 6-9 months was best case.   It can just as easily be January 2018 before he's healthy.  Clearly they think he's closer or they wouldn't have pulled him from the PUP list.  But with only 16 games, throwing away even a couple because you don't have a QB when there were alternatives is a bad miss by the Colts in my estimation.  

Yes.....   we agree.....     a bad miss.

I think they figured this out AFTER free agency....   by the time they realized Luck might not be back in time,  it was too late.     The gamble was lost.

I know Ballard and even Luck have said there was no set-back.     I honestly don't believe it.    The moves the team made throughout the course of the off-season,  capped off by trading for Brissett all scream (to me)  that they knew Tolzein wasn't good enough.       That they'd take a loss or two with Tolzen to have a better chance with Brissett when he got up to speed.     That's the only thing that makes sense to me.  

I said this the day we traded for Brissett.     And nothing has changed since to make me think anything else.

17 hours ago, MTC said:

Not surprising one bit. You just can't have Tolzien out there again with the same offense and expect different results. Brissett brought a lot of energy towards the offense as he was able to throw the ball with a stronger arm and accuracy. 

Didn't Brissett only have 3 attempts?  Think he was 2/3 for 51 yards. 

And the ball to Moncrief was just a Hail Mary jump ball.  Way too small of a sample size to assess JB's arm strength and accuracy.  Need to see how he makes the tough "NFL throws" (e.g., deep, out-breaking routes).  

All that said, I'm beyond thrilled that Tolzien is riding pine now.  JB did look much more comfortable in the pocket in the limited number of dropbacks he did have. 

Tolzien simply panicked on every dropback.  Deer in the headlights look at all times. 

12 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Didn't Brissett only have 3 attempts?  Think he was 2/3 for 51 yards. 

And the ball to Moncrief was just a Hail Mary jump ball.  Way too small of a sample size to assess JB's arm strength and accuracy.  Need to see how he makes the tough "NFL throws" (e.g., deep, out-breaking routes).  

All that said, I'm beyond thrilled that Tolzien is riding pine now.  JB did look much more comfortable in the pocket in the limited number of dropbacks he did have. 

Tolzien simply panicked on every dropback.  Deer in the headlights look at all times. 

So, was it too small a sample size or not, Zibbs......?

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Makes sense. Luck is the only QB we have that's worth preparing for because he can hurt you in so many ways, especially if you don't pay attention to his underrated athleticism. Preparing for our offense is in general is the right move. I'm guessing they'll put PP on Hilton and let their run defense do what it's been doing, which is shut down the little run game we have.

7 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Not sure why Colts staff chose Tolzien over Morris, probably never know, as it seems to be something they refuse to explain.  All I know is what I saw in last years preseason, and this preseason, Morris was the obvious choice.  But what do I know, just a loyal Colts fan who made the move with them from Baltimore, that is kind of running out of patience.

The predominant theory (although not proven) is that it was a move based on playbook knowledge and Xs/Os type stuff in practice that made Tolzien the better choice. He is a better option to help Brissett learn the playbook faster, and Brissett was going to be relied on to play sooner rather than later the minute we traded for him. If neither of our active QBs know the playbook, then we could be in serious trouble. 

It is obvious that on the field, Morris looked to be the better option, so there HAD to be something happening on the practice field/ film room that made him drop below not only Tolzein, but Phillip Walker in the pecking order at times this offseason. 

PS- Welcome to the forum! 

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Arians isn't preparing for Tolzien, or Brissett. They have a lot of recent tape on the Colts offense without Luck under center.  That's a part of the Colts playbook.  Chudzinski isn't changing that.  Tolzien runs it (well, attempts to anyway) and Brissett will have to as well. They can't change the playbook for Jacoby, because you can't get the other 10 guys (actually all the O guys...) up to speed on it.  JB has to continue to learn it and expand his reps and ability with it, and the other O guys have to get better executing it. Period.

In that light, I am sure the Colts will do what Princeton Tiger and I have already alluded to.  That is, the scouts have recon on the Cards.  Chud and his staff will whittle the huge playbook down to a few dozen plays that have a chance to work against the Cards D (Based upon down and distance / Red Zone / 2 minute / etc..).  They will pare it down further based upon what knowledge Brisset has of the playbook, and has shown he  'can_run_at_a _high_level'.  They will practice those heavily during the week.  I expect many of the plays on the game plan sheet will be the same play, but from a different formation or look, depending upon down and distance.  Hopefully this will work, because I doubt there is much recourse at this time for "second half adjustments".

What I want from the O is to run when they expect pass, and pass when they expect run, and chew clock and get first downs.  Give the guys on D a chance by tipping the TOP to even or even in the Colts favor. That's my take, anyway.

Don't we also have Temple QB Phillip Walker on the P.S. ??