Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

RockThatBlue

• I think that he was the sole bright spot on offense till Brisett entered the game. I wonder if the quick try after the clear TD by Pagano shook Mack's respect for him as a coach.. He wouldn't say in the post game interview but I think he is clueless as to why the coaches didn't review it.

I thought our run game as a whole looked pretty good considering the Rams didn't really have to worry about our pass attack.

Gore was solid averaging 4.2 ypc and the line opened up some nice holes. I thought Mack showed glimpses. His avg wasn't good but I think that's because the Rams blitzed pretty well on some of his runs.

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I thought our run game as a whole looked pretty good considering the Rams didn't really have to worry about our pass attack.

Gore was solid averaging 4.2 ypc and line opened up some nice holes. I thought Mack showed glimpses but I also think the blocking didn't do too well when he got his carries.

Adding the fact that they weren't that worried with the passing game, they were "one sided defense", when luck gets back (or even while brissett plays), the other teams must be worried about the passing game and we can get even better with the running

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Gore was solid averaging 4.2 ypc and the line opened up some nice holes. I thought Mack showed glimpses. His avg wasn't good but I think that's because the Rams blitzed pretty well on some of his runs.

Turbin should've been in for those goal line carries.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The run game never had a chance tbh. Once Colts were down 10-0 they went into panic chucking mode.

Yeah, that's true. I find myself hoping for more screens pretty often. Not that Turbin would really excel there, but I think Mack would. I think those could be some nice gains when we're going with backups.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, that's true. I find myself hoping for more screens pretty often. Not that Turbin would really excel there, but I think Mack would. I think those could be some nice gains when we're going with backups.

Mack would be great on screens I think. Unfortunately for some reason getting the Colts to run screens is like pulling teeth. 

Uh...2.4 ypc, and 9 carries for 0 yards without the 24 yard run....not sure where all this praise is coming from.  It may ultimately be true, but yesterday was not good evidence to support the thesis.  He couldn't get out of the backfield most of the game.

31 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Turbin should've been in for those goal line carries.

I was saying that exact thing the second we ran first and goal from the one. On that series Pagano showed several times his ability to have his teams consistantly show deficiencies in situational football. 

At a minimum it was definitely a good learning experience for him (fumbling in a not so important game, because of the score obviously).

He got first hand knowledge of how defenders will play for the strip on every play.

Ran with some power and shiftiness. Way better then the usual udfa experiment we try yearly.

He was definitely the lone bright spot for me.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Mack would be great on screens I think. Unfortunately for some reason getting the Colts to run screens is like pulling teeth. 

Agree with the pulling teeth comment.

I think Andrew does poorly on touch passes like screens and fades.  He, for some reason, just doesn't have the touch.

Morris did GREAT at screens because he "sold" them.  Andrew doesn't do that at all.  He releases much too quickly and doesn't bait the D-Line in enough.  Morris actually looks downfield with his back to the RB and then feels the pressure and tosses a flair out to the RB.  He does that so well.  ST is also not too bad at throwing a screen.  Andrew...not so much.

Just my observations.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The offense most of yesterday was clearly terrible, but one player that did play well was Marlon Mack. He should've finished with 2 TDS, but I really liked what I saw from him.

Thoughts?

Kid is fierce- just waiting to erupt. That's my next jersey right there.  On the real

He's not a power back, but they put him in those power goal-line situations.  That's on coaches.  His fumble, although it was a good rip by the defender, is on him.  But I like this guy in space and he can catch it too.  He's got a bright future with us........so long as the coaching staff doesn't ruin him too.

1 hour ago, A8bil said:

Uh...2.4 ypc, and 9 carries for 0 yards without the 24 yard run....not sure where all this praise is coming from.  It may ultimately be true, but yesterday was not good evidence to support the thesis.  He couldn't get out of the backfield most of the game.

Good thing players are graded on plays and not stats.Did watch him or just google his stats?

2 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Mack is going to be good. I wish we would let him loose the guy is a 3 down back. Just my opinion but I think playing Gore to appease the veterans ego is absurd. Mack is the most talented back on this roster. We need another young RB to compliment him In next years draft. 

Have you ever heard of the "rookie wall"?  They only play 11 or 12 games in college vs. 16 in the pros. Teams nearly always keep rookies on at least some sort of pitch count (QBs being the obvious exception) to keep them fresh towards the end of the season. 

He'll get plenty of carries, but so will gore...well unless they go down by 21 points in the first quarter every week

48 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

He's not a power back, but they put him in those power goal-line situations.  That's on coaches.  His fumble, although it was a good rip by the defender, is on him.  But I like this guy in space and he can catch it too.  He's got a bright future with us........so long as the coaching staff doesn't ruin him too.

A young player with tons of upside whose shown promise? Better sit him behind an incumbent, over the hill Vet and not increase his carries.

*Pagano logic

2 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Mack is going to be good. I wish we would let him loose the guy is a 3 down back. Just my opinion but I think playing Gore to appease the veterans ego is absurd. Mack is the most talented back on this roster. We need another young RB to compliment him In next years draft. 

That is what irks me about this coaching staff.  They seem to do things that 99% of other coaching staffs would not.  For example playing Tolzein.  And stick with Gore when he offers NOTHING for the future.  There probably is not another team he would be starting on.  Ridiculous at this point for Mack not to be the full blown starter.

4 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

It's absurd to think we are playing Gore to appease his ego. I do agree that Mack has a bright future as long as ball security doesn't become an issue. If Mack shows he's capable of being our 3 down back and I believe he will. We may be best served to pair him with Turbin for a minute. We have some big holes on D and the OL that need to be addressed. We still don't have a rush backer or a play maker inside. We have to look at LB's the first 2 2 days of the draft. I've been saying for 3 years we need a G. We have a lot of holes not sure a RB in back to back drafts is in the cards. If we go in that direction Penny from SDSU is a guy we might be able to steal day 3. 

Mack has the explosiveness we have needed but Gore did well on Sunday.  I like the combination that they bring with Gore doing the leg work and tiring the opposing run D for Mack to unlock the door and break free.  Turbing still has plenty value for those short yards needed.  A very complimentary backfield.

The one thing I would say (having not had a chance to properly look back at the game) I thought Mack could have done a better job on his overturned TD.  He looked to be standing high to me rather than tucking in and driving through to the end zone.  No doubt it was a TD either way but if he tucks the ball and aims through the defender it makes sure. 

On 9/12/2017 at 3:38 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Mack has the explosiveness we have needed but Gore did well on Sunday.  I like the combination that they bring with Gore doing the leg work and tiring the opposing run D for Mack to unlock the door and break free.  Turbing still has plenty value for those short yards needed.  A very complimentary backfield.

The one thing I would say (having not had a chance to properly look back at the game) I thought Mack could have done a better job on his overturned TD.  He looked to be standing high to me rather than tucking in and driving through to the end zone.  No doubt it was a TD either way but if he tucks the ball and aims through the defender it makes sure. 

Same thing I thought.   Could have just ran the guy over and got in there straight up.

The thing that makes me mad about Chud is he tries to be too smart in situations that simply require common sense.   In short yardage and goal line situations there is no way I would not have Turbin on the field.   He's almost a guarantee to punch it in and yet we always go and do some stupid stuff like put the ball in Tolziens hands on the goal line. If you have one of the best short yardage backs in the game just give the dude the damn ball and let him mano y mano for the score.  Simple.

After each drive or when he would come off the field mack would go straight to the stationary bike everyone who was there would be able to see this but im not sure if it was shown on tv should we be worried about him possibly having a nagging hammy or was he just trying to stay warm?

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

The thing that makes me mad about Chud is he tries to be too smart in situations that simply require common sense.   In short yardage and goal line situations there is no way I would not have Turbin on the field.   He's almost a guarantee to punch it in and yet we always go and do some stupid stuff like put the ball in Tolziens hands on the goal line. If you have one of the best short yardage backs in the game just give the dude the damn ball and let him mano y mano for the score.  Simple.

Also, why did they say in the off-season that they wanted to give the ball more to Turbin and he gets 2 attempts?  We make a few questionable moves that's for sure.