Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So.....why not Kaepernick again???

BigQandTheManiac

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why a lot of people dance around this issue.  I am not afraid to say that if I were an owner I would not hire Kaepernick for the SOLE reasons that he disrespected the flag, wore socks with cops depicted as pigs on them, and wore a pro-Castro shirt while professing to be against oppression.  I would not hire him on that alone even if he was a good QB.  Turns out he also is not a good QB.

I support his ability to express his views no matter how much I disagree with him or his methods.  I also support every owner's freedom to hire and fire whoever they deem necessary for the good of their franchise.  As much as certain people seem to misunderstand, no one is entitled to a job, services, or property from a private employer.  

Exactly. The guy doesn't know our offense. We already have Brissett for that waste of roster spot not too mention Colts have too much class for a selfish player who would put himself above the good of the team. We've always been a quiet organization we don't need that kind of headline. I'd rather see Luck throw left handed or even go down swinging with Tolzein vs even letting that guy look at our practice squad. 

Hes is a bum & a disgrace 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm more than happy to debate.

Kaepernick 2016 stats

16TD/4INT

Passer rating: 90.7

Rushing yards: 468

Tolzien won't throw 16 TDs all season, and is already sitting at 2 picks, with a 33.8 passer rating. Kaepernick is better, it's not even close.

Brissett has zero experience being a starter aside from a couple quarters last year for the Pats, and in garbage time in yesterday's game. He's probably our best backup at this point, but without more of a sample size, it's easy (for me) to arrive at the conclusion that Kaepernick is better.

We have zero idea how good Morris actually is. Sure he looked good in the preseason vs 3rd stringers and fringe roster guys, but that's a whole different ballgame than playing a full game vs NFL starters and having a DC actually gameplan for him. I'd side with Kaepernick here as well.

Kap was in a system he was familiar with, didn't have to push the ball down field, many of the TDs he threw were more a result of the person receiving the ball making something happen than by great throws by him.

Plus the only proof I need, if Kap had any redeeming qualities as a QB he'd be suited up and at least on the sidelines on Sunday.  He's not... because he's not very good.

I think most of you guys haven't seen Kaepernick enough to know that he is not the answer.  He's a physical specimen, sure, but he's got two big liabilities: (1) he cannot throw the ball accurately with any consistency; and (2) he cannot read defenses from the pocket.  The 49ers dumbed down their offense and used various schemes to give him easier throws, but the more he played, the more defenses realized his limitations and forced him to make passes he couldn't make against defenses he couldn't read.  The 4 interception AZ game back in September 2015 fully exposed him.  The DBs were just sitting on his passes and picking them off at will.  Put him in a different scheme and he may have some flashy plays helped by his scrambling, but eventually he'll be exposed.  It's like a power hitter in baseball who can't hit a low inside fastball--all they see are low inside fastballs unless a pitcher makes a mistake.  Kaep has no future in this league, based solely on his ability to QB.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and this is mine. I have been a Colts fan since I was old enough to know what a football was....around 1972. I have seen a lot of good and bad over the years as a fan of this team. I can honestly say that I would rather see the Colts go 0-16 and lose every game 50 to 0 than to have Kaepernick on this team....or anyone that doesn't stand for the national anthem. To me, it s totally disrespectful to our great country and all the men and women who served and died under that flag. If you have a cause or agenda that's fine. This great country allows you to have that right but during the national anthem is not the place or time.

Edited by k9copinmd

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Plus the only proof I need, if Kap had any redeeming qualities as a QB he'd be suited up and at least on the sidelines on Sunday.  He's not... because he's not very good.

So you're saying that since no one has signed Kaepernick, that means there's absolutely no way he's better than Josh McCown, Trevor Siemien, Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, or Jared Goff?

12 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

I can honestly say that I would rather see the Colts go 0-16 and lose every game 50 to 0 than to have Kaepernick on this team....or anyone that doesn't stand for the national anthem. To me, it s totally disrespectful to our great country and all the men and women who served and died under that flag. If you have a cause or agenda that's fine. This great country allows you to have that right but during the national anthem is not the place or time.

I was at a bar watching the games yesterday, you wanna know what absolutely no one did? Stand during the national anthem.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I was at a bar watching the games yesterday, you wanna know what absolutely no one did? Stand during the national anthem.

Yes, and its sad that people don't. I don't want to turn this into a political argument so I will leave it at that. I offered MY opinion on the issue and that's all I have to say about it on this forum. 

2 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Yes, and its sad that people don't. I don't want to turn this into a political argument so I will leave it at that. I offered MY opinion on the issue and that's all I have to say about it on this forum. 

I tried to base my argument FOR him by using statistics and data, it's everyone else that wants to talk about the anthem or make up some thinly-veiled phony excuse to not sign him even though he's clearly a better option than any of the guys that are available to play Luck's absence right now.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I tried to base my argument FOR him by using statistics and data, it's everyone else that wants to talk about the anthem or make up some thinly-veiled phony excuse to not sign him even though he's clearly a better option than any of the guys that are available to play Luck's absence right now.

All the arguments are out there. Stats are one thing, but we all know stats are misleading. He ran the RGIII offense and I see no one callung for an RGIII signing. The point is, Kaep is too hot topic, and whether its the anthem, football, or race, it always devolves into that, which is precisely why he isnt being signed. Most people, irrespective of race are tired of having to defend their POV, why turn this forum into that and worse, divide fandom...over a game? The race debate is legitimate, does it have to touch on every aspect of our lives, even the ones we revert to in order to escape it?

I'm of the opinion that if you hate on Kaep for political reasons, the rationale you're employing is hypocritical.  While I am in full support of his political endeavours (save the things about Castro being a good guy...), I think Kaep being a free agent is mostly (but not completely) football.  His completion percentage in the last 2 years is below 60%.  That's pretty bad.  Doesn't mean he's a worse option than Tolzien, but it's not like he's Drew Brees or Peyton Manning on the free agent market.

4 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Before the mods lock this thread please hear me out

I know this maybe be beating a dead horse and I'M SORRY....but you can't tell me that Kap is not a better option to go with right now. Screw the political crap. Nobody can say with a straight face that we wouldn't fair any better  with Kap as oppose to Tolzie. Everybody is so concerned with the media attention Kap brings. Well that's no different then  the negative media attention this team has got and has been getting the last few years, anyway. Besides we've seen way worse from the NFL  over the years. Child abuse, rapist, murder, domestic violence, dog fighting, cheating scandals, bounties, etc. What Kap is doing pales in comparison to those things. All of a sudden signing Kap doesn't sound too crazy to me, anymore. You may not agree with what he's doing fine...but you can't tell me you wouldn't rather have him then Tolzie at QB right now. Stephen A. Smith, Cris Carter, and Nick Wright  all believe Kap should be a Colt right now until Luck returns...And I agree...Plus we don't know how good Brissett is really gonna be. Now GO AHEAD and bash me and hit me with the backlash.Cause I know it'll never get through to some of you.

The reasoning to not sign Kap this far into the season is simple. Kaps skillset is the exact opposite of the skillset our offense uses. He is good at short high percentage throws and screens. His biggest flawes are reading defenses from in the pocket and making plays on long downfield routes. Thats 90% of our playbook. For Kaepernick to be successful, we would have to cater an offense around him. Not only would Kap have to learn said offense, but our whole offense would have to learn this new playbook on the fly. Even with the best, most flexible coaches in the NFL this would take weeks for the team to get up to speed, which would be right about when Luck comes back. Now consider how bad and unflexible our coaches are when it comes to schemes and ask yourself if you trust them to make the necessary changes to put Kaepernick in a position to succeed.

They havent been able to do it for Luck with YEARS of time to do so, so how can you possibly expect them to do it in weeks for Kap? 

MAYBE it would have made sense to sign Kap in June (but even then I have my doubts with these coaches) but this late in the season its all but impossible.

Also I think Brissett has a similar skillset to Luck and once he has the offense down he will be better suited to run the current system we have in place. No changes to the offense needed. But just like if we brought Kaep in today, we are going to have to be patient for a couple weeks as he settles in. 

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

In 12 games last year, Kap threw for 16TDs to only 4INTs, and posted a passer rating of 90.7. He's better than every single QB on our roster besides Luck, and it's not even debatable.

In the stat that matters the most over everything, Kaepernick is 3-16 in his last 19 starts.

Yes, I know its not all his fault, but he was not helping the team to win.

I mean, the dude lost his starting spot to Blaine Gabbert who is Tolzein level awful. 

His play style just doesn't mesh with the Colts offense.  Why would the Colts bring a guy in who is not going to come cheap and then have to completely restructure your offense for only a few weeks until Luck is ready to play?  It makes zero sense from a football standpoint. I agree he is leaps and bounds better than Tolzien but Jacoby is use to running a complex pro system where Kap is still a spread type QB.  If Luck was gone for the year picking Kap up would make sense because you wouldn't be completely changing systems.

26 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

While I am in full support of his political endeavours (save the things about Castro being a good guy...),

Really not trying to stir the pot, and on some level I agree with this statement, but even you should acknowledge the hypocrisy in it. Theres just really no way to support defend without toeing the line of hypocrisy.

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I can say with a straight face that I would rather root for a team with Scott Tolzien as the QB than as Kap as the QB.

Actually the Colts may not win a game all season and I will still be a colts fan.  I would stop being a Colts fan if they sign Kap.

Holy cow. That's ridiculous.

4 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

He's not good enough to replace Luck, he's too good just to sit behind Luck. 

This is how I feel about the situation and I think it's a very level-headed answer.  

I don't have any clue of what type of salary he's willing to play for either.  

If we were going to sign him it would have been before camp.  

BUT if Luck is going to be out the whole season (Irsay said it was up to the football gods), then they should have signed him yesterday.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The whole thing is a dumb spectacle and fake patriotism.  It's great to show pride in your country, but to blindly agree with everything that is going on because it isn't affecting you is despicable.

There are real issues, but people are just going to complain about a guy kneeling during a freaking song.  

He got their attention off of something so minuscule.  

I think he won.

8 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Kaepernick is 3-16 in his last 19 starts!!

Also Colin doesn't seem to want to play football. 

Football is the ultimate team sport.   

I've always hated putting win loss records on QB's.  

While they probably have the most influence out of anyone, they cannot win by themselves.  

A lot of things have to go right. 

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

The whole thing is a dumb spectacle and fake patriotism.  

There are real issues, but people are just going to complain about a guy kneeling during a freaking song.  

I think he won.

He lost. The second Cleveland Browns demonstration was the way to go. Much more constructive than the disrespect. It's not fake patriotism to many. 

Bottom line is he is no longer a good QB, and not worth the distractions brought to a team. He could have possibly signed with the Ravens, but the girlfriend had to get her two cents worth in.  Just another in a long line of controversies, not just one. When your skills are waning, and you seem like you want to be more of a social justice warrior than football player, the calls will go to other back up quarterbacks. It's like any other business. 

25 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

He lost. The second Cleveland Browns demonstration was the way to go. Much more constructive than the disrespect. It's not fake patriotism to many. 

Bottom line is he is no longer a good QB, and not worth the distractions brought to a team. He could have possibly signed with the Ravens, but the girlfriend had to get her two cents worth in.  Just another in a long line of controversies, not just one. When your skills are waning, and you seem like you want to be more of a social justice warrior than football player, the calls will go to other back up quarterbacks. It's like any other business. 

I'm really tired of hearing this distraction crap.  

Do you really think this team cares about "distractions"?  

We have a joke of a coach. A bad Oline. A huge question mark of a defense and a drugged out owner.  

If anything, this team would welcome some normalcy that is Kaepernick. 

But let's go ahead and keep rooting for woman beaters. That's all good.

5 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Before the mods lock this thread please hear me out

I know this maybe be beating a dead horse and I'M SORRY....but you can't tell me that Kap is not a better option to go with right now. Screw the political crap. Nobody can say with a straight face that we wouldn't fair any better  with Kap as oppose to Tolzie. Everybody is so concerned with the media attention Kap brings. Well that's no different then  the negative media attention this team has got and has been getting the last few years, anyway. Besides we've seen way worse from the NFL  over the years. Child abuse, rapist, murder, domestic violence, dog fighting, cheating scandals, bounties, etc. What Kap is doing pales in comparison to those things. All of a sudden signing Kap doesn't sound too crazy to me, anymore. You may not agree with what he's doing fine...but you can't tell me you wouldn't rather have him then Tolzie at QB right now. Stephen A. Smith, Cris Carter, and Nick Wright  all believe Kap should be a Colt right now until Luck returns...And I agree...Plus we don't know how good Brissett is really gonna be. Now GO AHEAD and bash me and hit me with the backlash.Cause I know it'll never get through to some of you.

Irsay doesn't have the balls to do it.  Now that they have Brissett the situation isn't as dire.  But I do agree that Kap would be much better than sorry Scott Tolzien, who is bottom barrel.

21 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I'm really tired of hearing this distraction crap.  

Do you really think this team cares about "distractions"?  

We have a joke of a coach. A bad Oline. A huge question mark of a defense and a drugged out owner.  

If anything, this team would welcome some normality as is Kaepernick. 

But let's go ahead and keep rooting for woman beaters. That's all good.

Other players bad behavior doesn't excuse a foolish demonstration. The Cleveland second demonstration was much more constructive, and sent a better, more positive message. 

33 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

The whole thing is a dumb spectacle and fake patriotism.  It's great to show pride in your country, but to blindly agree with everything that is going on because it isn't affecting you is despicable.

I think he won.

A freakin song??? I'm sorry its not a "freakin song". Its the national anthem of this country which I happen to love. Call it fake patriotism if you wish. I know whats in my heart but you got me wondering whats in yours to blindly question others patriotism because they support the flag and anthem of this nation.