Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen needs to be released in the Off-Season

Indeee

Eat the money, pay the dead cap, whatever.... Get rid of this bum, easily the dumbest decision the colts brass has made... outside of the trent trade

On the pass in corner of the endzone yesterday was last straw for me personally. This dude is a decent size guy and you don't fight for the ball? He needs to be ripping the ball away from defenders and he never does.

I know why the colts signed him but this was a mistake, as it turns out we should have released both allen and fleener. Based on how we have utilized the TE's Doyle and swoope are all we need

Cut ties and lets move on, this guy is horrible!!

I was certainly not a fan of spending that money on him or Fleener based on their production and/or time spent on injury. However, he hasn't played badly outside of one game that he had the drops. He made some tough catches so I'm not going to say to cut him now and take whatever cap hit we would have to take. At this point, it should be a 3 year contract and decide what to do at year 3. 

29 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Eat the money, pay the dead cap, whatever.... Get rid of this bum, easily the dumbest decision the colts brass has made... outside of the trent trade

On the pass in corner of the endzone yesterday was last straw for me personally. This dude is a decent size guy and you don't fight for the ball? He needs to be ripping the ball away from defenders and he never does.

I know why the colts signed him but this was a mistake, as it turns out we should have released both allen and fleener. Based on how we have utilized the TE's Doyle and swoope are all we need

To the bolded:

1) Why would they just outright release him when he clearly does have some trade value? He can catch, and he's a great blocking TE. At minimum they'd be able to get at least a draft pick in return, and not have to eat that cash. And to call him the "dumbest decision" is pretty far off base. I could rattle off 3 moves that were far worse (signing Landry Jones, not re-signing Jerrell Freeman, drafting Bjoern Werner). Having Allen on the team isn't such a bad thing when you compare it to those 3.

2) I love Doyle and Swoope, but neither have the blocking skillset that Allen has. Doyle is a poor man's Dallas Clark (and I mean that in the BEST way possible, I love me some Doyle, and want him to be part of the plan long-term). As far as Swoope goes, he's still just scratching the surface, we don't really know what we have in him yet. It looks promising, but his all around game is still pretty raw.

All in all, I like the TE depth that the Colts have right now, and that includes Allen, even though he does have a bad game from time to time and struggles to stay healthy.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded:

1) Why would they just outright release him when he clearly does have some trade value? He can catch, and he's a great blocking TE. At minimum they'd be able to get at least a draft pick in return, and not have to eat that cash. And to call him the "dumbest decision" is pretty far off base. I could rattle off 3 moves that were far worse (signing Landry Jones, not re-signing Jerrell Freeman, drafting Bjoern Werner). Having Allen on the team isn't such a bad thing when you compare it to those 3.

2) I love Doyle and Swoope, but neither have the blocking skillset that Allen has. Doyle is a poor man's Dallas Clark (and I mean that in the BEST way possible, I love me some Doyle, and want him to be part of the plan long-term). As far as Swoope goes, he's still just scratching the surface, we don't really know what we have in him yet. It looks promising, but his all around game is still pretty raw.

All in all, I like the TE depth that the Colts have right now, and that includes Allen, even though he does have a bad game from time to time and struggles to stay healthy.

I agree for the most part but I think Doyle's run blocking is far better than anything we ever saw from Clark. His pass blocking could definitely use work though.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

I agree for the most part but I think Doyle's run blocking is far better than anything we ever saw from Clark. His pass blocking could definitely use work though.

Yup he blocked great for Gore on his td run. And I swear I saw him smile getting up after he blocked for Gore on a 1st down run lol. He is awesome. 

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Just think, it wasn't all that long ago when Doyle was considered a waist of time.

Now he has one of the top catching percentages in the league.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Are you serious?  You can't be.

6 hours ago, Indeee said:

Cut him prior to the 5th day of the 2017 league year and the dead money is only $3m. 

But yeah, he's not going to be cut this offseason, nor should he be. 

They should trade him in the offseason. As it stands they're paying him to run block which is pointless. Doyle has been far better in the passing game.

Allen is getting too much money for what he's actually doing which isn't much. I think the days of believing he's going to be a top TE are done. So trade him and use that money on someone for FA.

10 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Doyles run blocking down field has been awesome, pass blocking against rushers isn't at Allens level though.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

They should trade him in the offseason. As it stands they're paying him to run block which is pointless. Doyle has been far better in the passing game.

Allen is getting too much money for what he's actually doing which isn't much. I think the days of believing he's going to be a top TE are done. So trade him and use that money on someone for FA.

I don't know if he is tradeable.  Who else is going to want that contract?

As for the TE position in total, the issue isn't whether or not to cut Allen, the issue how much will it cost to retain Doyle.  If Allen's contract interferes with that, then that would be cause for cutting Allen.  If we can afford both, I'm all for it, but Doyle is the higher priority.

13 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

To the bolded:

:thmup:

It is a lot of money for what he produces but, to be in the position of having three strong TE's we can utilise is never a bad thing.  If we can shore up the O-line and use Allen more for blocking the run game should really grow and make us much less one-dimensional.

13 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And to call him the "dumbest decision" is pretty far off base. I could rattle off 3 moves that were far worse (signing Landry Jones, not re-signing Jerrell Freeman, drafting Bjoern Werner). Having Allen on the team isn't such a bad thing when you compare it to those 3.

Wait... we signed Landry Jones??! 

I know Luck gets compared to Big Ben a lot, but this might be taking the comparison too far. 

I agree that we completely overpaid Allen. If anything, he should be traded for picks. Don't just cut him (like Moore) and get nothing for him. 

If you break down Allen's  salary vs. production/amount of games he actually plays, it's pretty abysmal. :( 

2016 stats:

19 attempts / 29 targets 

207 yards 

In 2016, Allen will earn a base salary of $2,500,000, a signing bonus of $4,000,000 and a roster bonus of $5,406,250

42 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The guy has shown great flashes and is coming off an injury. His confidence is down but as mentioned earlier he had a huge smile when set a great block for Gore.

Doyle and Swoope are not enough, Allen has a place here he just needs to take it

Doyle is the one who smiled, just so you know on that part of your first paragraph. 

37 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Doyle is the one who smiled, just so you know on that part of your first paragraph. 

Allen was smiles all day yesterday. several close ups of him smiling. If he gets his confidence back then we're all in for some good things. But I thought that he was the one that smiled on the block, sorry about that

Lets see what Allen can do over the course of the rest of the season. If he stays healthy, I do believe he can be a key factor in the passing game. They just have to scheme for him a little bit. He is playing better, IMO. But he has to get a chance too. If Chud is truly going to incorporate the TEs and RBs a bit more into the passing game, Allen will show up. Patience. 

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

We could pay a portion of the guaranteed money.  Regardless of whether that's advisable or not, it could be depending on who/what we'd be receiving in return.  But in general, I agree with you that he's probably not a trade candidate in the offseason.

He's not been healthy and even when healthy he's been a disappointment. I am not sure releasing him would be wise though. I guess if you can trade him, that would be optimal, but then again - who would want his contract and be willing to give up assets for it?

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Lets see what Allen can do over the course of the rest of the season. If he stays healthy, I do believe he can be a key factor in the passing game. They just have to scheme for him a little bit. He is playing better, IMO. But he has to get a chance too. If Chud is truly going to incorporate the TEs and RBs a bit more into the passing game, Allen will show up. Patience. 

Have had too many injured players before to see what they can do over a season. He's just wasting a roster space.

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

The contract isn't that bad, and the Colts already paid a huge chunk of it.

If traded, his cap hits for his new team over the next three years would be $5m (guaranteed), $5m, and $7.4m.

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Cut him prior to the 5th day of the 2017 league year and the dead money is only $3m. 

But yeah, he's not going to be cut this offseason, nor should he be. 

Plus his cap number moves fro 8.9 mill this year to 6.0 mill in both 2017 and 2018. The cap hit like you say could be just 3 mill. , but you can make a case that he only will cost an "extra" 3 mill to keep him rather than cut him ?

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The guy has shown great flashes and is coming off an injury. His confidence is down but as mentioned earlier he had a huge smile when set a great block for Gore.

Doyle and Swoope are not enough, Allen has a place here he just needs to take it

doyle, swoope and some other blocking TE would be enough

2 hours ago, Superman said:

The contract isn't that bad, and the Colts already paid a huge chunk of it.

If traded, his cap hits for his new team over the next three years would be $5m (guaranteed), $5m, and $7.4m.

It's not that bad until you combine it with injury history.  Add in his drops this year I'm not sure why a team would trade for him.  And I like him as a player.....

not if he catches the winning TD pass in the critical Texans game to clinch the division and propel us to the SuperBowl as the most improbable team in the history of the NFL to make it to the SuperBowl and with what is thought to have been the worst coach in the league (consensus of fans only)

On 11/8/2016 at 8:38 AM, lollygagger8 said:

I agree that we completely overpaid Allen. If anything, he should be traded for picks. Don't just cut him (like Moore) and get nothing for him. 

If you break down Allen's  salary vs. production/amount of games he actually plays, it's pretty abysmal. :( 

2016 stats:

19 attempts / 29 targets 

207 yards 

In 2016, Allen will earn a base salary of $2,500,000, a signing bonus of $4,000,000 and a roster bonus of $5,406,250

if you base te production only on receptions, you are pretty clueless on why they value him

On 11/7/2016 at 4:52 PM, Indeee said:

Ive been unhappy with Allen's play as well but I dont think they will release him. We're stuck with him so we just have to hope he plays better.