Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How did you become a Colts fan?

RockThatBlue

!958 when I was 12 years old and I watched my first pro football game on TV with my father. I pulled for the Colts because I was a kid who loved horses and I thought their helmets were "cool". It was the "greatest game ever Played' and The Colts won the championship in sudden death with Alan Ameche running it in against the Giants.  I have been a Colts fan ever since.  Back then there was no such thing as licensed merchandise.  We played tackle football as kids and only had plastic helmets with a single bar.  My helmet was blue but I took first aid tape and taped a horseshoe on each side. Oh those were the good old days.  

I became a Colts fan through osmosis... 

I was two when they moved to Indy and I lived on the family farm in NW Indiana. My dad and uncle switched teams from the Bears as soon as the Mayflowers parked. Pretty weird, looking back, because Chicago had a really good team back then. 

I was wearing Colts gear in most of my childhood photos at that time. By the time I started school, I was already arguing with my classmates (and apparently my Kindergarten teacher) about the Colts being better than the Bears. I was technically wrong back then, but homerism is in my genes. 

I remember my dad being dissapointed  that we drafted Manning over Leaf when I was in high school. I gave him a hard time about it for the rest of his life. I'd never seen him happier than when we won the SB. For that alone, I'll gladly suffer through all the rough years that we could ever see and I think about my dad and chuckle whenever I hear fans complaining about draft picks before the season starts. 

Colts fandom is something that I was lucky enough to share with my father. We didn't have a lot of things in common other than the Shoe. I credit the Irsay family for allowing me to see a side of the old man that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'm a fan for life.

I was in 4th or 5th grade and my mother and father invited a bunch of people over to watch the 95!AFCCG.  Everyone picked the steelers and my much older cousin asked me who I wanted to win.  I didn't know a dam thing about football at the time and I thought "well, we live in Indiana so I want the colts to win".

I had to do a book report and my parents wouldn't let me watch the game until I was finished.  I started watching when Bam Morris plowed his way into the end zone and Cpt. Comeback launch that Hail Mary.  

Since they came to Indy.  It was actually my Mother, a very proper English lady.  She was hooked immediately even though she had no clue what the rules were.  She called the players "her boys" and listend carefully as my dad explained the game to her.  I still smile when I remember her yelling at the TV because she felt there was a bad call.  I was grateful that the Colts were able to win the Super bowl the year before she passed away from cancer.  She and my dad are watching the games together again.  She was able to go to a few games and kept saying that we should get season tickets but never did.  I decided when she passed that "life is short" and so went on the wait list and got my tickets the last year in the RCA dome.  Season ticket holder

ever since.  GO COLTS - GO INDIANS!

Born in Baltimore in 1954, moved to Indiana when I was 15.  Stayed a Colt fan even when my family back east hated them.  I remember my Dad taking me to autograph signings with Berry, Unitas, Marchetti and Ameche.  Still remember my first Colt game as a child.  Colts beat the Rams at Memorial Stadium.  

Born and raised in Indy but was born in 1985. For many of the early years of my life, the Colts werent any good, they were also blacked out locally several times. My brother and I were just general football fans. He liked the Cowboys and I liked the 49ers. I think my earliest football memory was the Cowboys beating the Bills in the Super Bowl. However, that all changed in 1995. Jim Harbaugh and the boys and the improbable playoff run. I remember every play from that 95 AFC championship. I was a fan ever since. For years, before I saw the actual replay, I contended that Aaron Baily caught the hail mary and we got screwed.

I lived in Stringtown in 84 & the bricklayer I worked for was a sports nut & he got on the list for season tickets for the Colts he was fired up & got me fired up , I liked football but was not a fanatic , I became 1 living close to the Hoosier Dome later renamed the RCA Dome just across the Washington street bridge the Colts became the hometown team along with the Pacers it was not always easy being a Colts fan but when Jim Harbaugh became the starting QB we got a taste of winning then in 1998 Peyton Manning was drafted I felt the future was gonna be special & was not disappointed although then like now the defense was not the main attraction . 

Now with Luck at QB its like deja vu the future is bright indeed as long as Colts Management understands the lessons of the past , I do not want to lose Luck to another team , Like with Peyton he can do alot he makes us all proud but its very important to surround him with the sames type of help that the BRONCOS GAVE 18 , Let him be a COLT for life & retire a COLT with multiple SB wins .

QB's like Manning & Luck don't just grow on trees & should be given whatever it takes to be successful. The Broncos understood this & benefited greatly . Look what Peyton Manning did here & in his short time in Denver it IMO was the Broncos that got it right now its important that GRIGSON does the same .

Was an avid Bengals fan all growing up during the Ken Anderson/James Brooks/Chris Collinsworth days, and still hold a grudge against John Candy(sarcasm). But when the Colts were officially part of Hoosier nation, I had to make the change to the "Home" team. Just had never had the option till 84', and have never looked back!!

By watching the Greatest Game Ever Played on a tiny picture on an early b/w tv. I remember the video feed going out in the 2nd half and Ameche plowing over for the winning to. I pretended I was Johnny Unitas in every football game I ever played after that.

This thread killed my likes......

I was a late bloomer with regards to sports.  I've always liked the Colts but was more of a die hard Pacers fan in the early 90s.  I got into football heavily when I was 17, in 1998.  We all know what happened in 1998 and the rest was history.  I still love pro sports and am a die hard Colts/Pacers fan but I feel myself growing more in love with NCAAB and NCAAF and enjoy college sports more overall but still putting my Colts, Pacers and Hoosiers first. 

We do have one of these threads every year, which is good. My father had a bet on the Colts to win the Super Bowl (2004) and he told me about it on a phone call. I remember him saying that they had a very good Quarterback called Peyton 'something'. So I tuned in at the weekend, the Colts were on, and the rest, as they say, is history........

I became a Colts fan when I was 5 yrs. old in 1958. My older brother was 7 at the time and I remember watching him going crazy as we watched the '58 Championship game. He had made a Colts scrapbook for a school project and I thought the Horseshoe was cool. I became a Colts fan because of him. We still get together for every game along with our offspring, most of whom have wisely become Colts fans themselves. :) 

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

We do have one of these threads every year, which is good. My father had a bet on the Colts to win the Super Bowl (2004) and he told me about it on a phone call. I remember him saying that they had a very good Quarterback called Peyton 'something'. So I tuned in at the weekend, the Colts were on, and the rest, as they say, is history........

We do, I've given a different answer each time to see if anyone is keeping track :P

Remember in elementary school when they'd make you write book reports?  The teacher told us we could take ANY book off the shelf and write a report about it, so I took a book called Super Bowl Highlights which was the store of the first 15 Super Bowls.  What almost every team had in common was that they were horrible until they started getting the right players and coaches and they got better and better until they won it all - it was the story of the Cowboys, the Steelers, and even teams like the Rams and Eagles that got to the Super Bowl but couldn't win it.

That year just happened to be the year the Colts went 0-7-1.  I started following with them because I wanted to watch them gradually go from worst to champions, and it just stuck.  It took 24 years but they finally did win a Super Bowl!

I to this day get asked if I'm a Broncos fan because Manning left.  My allegiance is to the SHOE!

On 10/29/2016 at 0:17 AM, RockThatBlue said:

Thought this might be an interesting thread.

I remember in I think it was 2000 or 2001 (I was only 10 or 11)  I turned the TV on and a Colts game was on and just got hooked to the NFL and the Colts. 

How about yall? What got you into them?

I was born in Baltimore in 1954. First game I remember was the 1958 sudden death Championship, on a 9" black and white tv, housed in a huge tv console.  Times have changed.  When the team won the Super Bowl in 71, their offensive line men were about 6'3", 250 lbs.

My first NFL game was rams vs raiders. The whole family made a bet on who would win the game. I became a football fan then. 

The next year, I found out about the colts, and me being an Indiana native I just went with my local team and my families favorite team. 

Few years later I joined the forums and watched Peyton manning score the most TDs in a single season.

50 minutes ago, Coltswarriors said:

Lived in Indy my entire life... My parents and all my close family have been Colts fans since I've been born. Really, just born into it. Have had season tickets since 2005 and have NEVER missed a game! :D

How are things on the Jags forums these days CW. Been trolling(reading only!) their website for years, and you seem pretty well accepted there. I haven't been on Jags site this season. Sorry OP, not trying to highjack the thread :)