Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Shanahan for future HC?

Stillen

Look I'm not a guru on contracts and don't know when Shanahans contract is up or what happens if we fire Grigson after his extension in terms of contract. 

What I do know is a guy like Kyle Shanahan has taken some abysmal offenses and made them decent and decent ones to absolute monsters.

His first couple years in Houston he did a solid job with Schaub/Rosenthal at QB. He attributed to RG3 his rookie year with how he played. And what hes done with the Falcons offense the past two years is astonishing. He has a knack for getting the most out of his RB's and wouldn't mind hiring someone like him as HC.

Again just all speculation and fun, but I'm not a fan with how Grigson has handled this team on either sides of the ball. Hiring someone like Shanahan will optimize the talent we have on offense and make us more efficient so we can focus more of our offseason time on the defense. Just my opinion. What do ya'll think in terms of future head coaching?

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Not all OC's make great head coaches unfortunately. 

McCoy, Whisenhunt, McDaniels, Trestman are a few off the top of my head that I thought would be great, but ended up bombing. 

I don't think whiz is as bad as it seems he's coached some pretty bad teams 

49 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

It's funny because when the Falcons hit the wall after starting 5-0 last year, Kyle Shanahan was getting destroyed by Falcons fans and Matt Ryan's job security was brought into question... now they are hot stuff.

This is exactly what I was about to post.  LOL

Coaching won't matter til you get a GM here that knows how to find defensive talent. Even if we had Wade Phillips he couldn't work a miracle with our trash players. Now you bring him in with a competent GM and you get something along the lines of the Broncos D. If we bring him in with Grigson you get something along the lines of the Cowboys D when Wade was there. 

2 hours ago, Stillen said:

Look I'm not a guru on contracts and don't know when Shanahans contract is up or what happens if we fire Grigson after his extension in terms of contract. 

What I do know is a guy like Kyle Shanahan has taken some abysmal offenses and made them decent and decent ones to absolute monsters.

His first couple years in Houston he did a solid job with Schaub/Rosenthal at QB. He attributed to RG3 his rookie year with how he played. And what hes done with the Falcons offense the past two years is astonishing. He has a knack for getting the most out of his RB's and wouldn't mind hiring someone like him as HC.

Again just all speculation and fun, but I'm not a fan with how Grigson has handled this team on either sides of the ball. Hiring someone like Shanahan will optimize the talent we have on offense and make us more efficient so we can focus more of our offseason time on the defense. Just my opinion. What do ya'll think in terms of future head coaching?

NUTS

2 hours ago, Stillen said:

Often when someone is really good at something, the Peter Principle kicks in and they get promoted up and into incompetence.  

51 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

All we need to do is get wade over in indy to coach def 

I sometimes wonder if Chuck was even really a good DC. Wasn't it only for a year, and weren't they a well established veteran D by that time put together by others?

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Not all OC's make great head coaches unfortunately. 

McCoy, Whisenhunt, McDaniels, Trestman are a few off the top of my head that I thought would be great, but ended up bombing. 

Well....   to be fair,  Whisenhunt did take Arizona to the Super Bowl.

Sometimes there are other organizational problems that prevent a good HC from having any success.

1 minute ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Grigson has not been perfect in his picks as we all know .

We got rid of dead wood in regards to coachs & players maybe we should reevaluate the scouts as well .  

I would have fired whomever agreed with the TRich trade lol

39 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:Because he did not work in Washington and only benefit from great players. I just dont like him running our team. Mr Schreiber

Nkt sure you can blame the failures in Washington on the OC.  Hell, he actually made a poor QB look good.

On 10/11/2016 at 1:33 PM, Stillen said:

Not just no but hell no...no Shanahans!  There's no reason to fire a below average HC just to hire another below average HC.  When we part with Chuck it needs to be for a Cower, Harbaugh, Coughlin, Saban, etc a proven winner that has the pedigree for a Super Bowl.  No more factory experimental HC's for my part.

On 10/11/2016 at 1:33 PM, Stillen said:

You want to hire Kyle Shanahan to be the GM?