Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are excited about Earl Okine

Everyone

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/09/09/doyel-meet-colts-dl-earl-okine-long-strong-heavy-handed/71961822/

Earl Okine? The Colts don’t know what he’s going to give them. But his ceiling is way up there, somewhere high where the light bulbs are burning.

Coach Chuck Pagano was telling me Okine can play all three spots in the Colts’ 3-4 defensive front — and outside linebacker, if you can believe it. Pagano was telling me that this 6-6, 290-pound monster can play on the edge, and not just to rush the passer.

“He can drop into coverage,” Pagano said.

I've been thinking about the potential of both Okine and McGil. We could have something in those 2. I know its early, but I mean they're both clearly talented. I'm excited to see what both will look like this year.

Exactly, Okine looks really good. Can't what to see him get more playing time. On what limited tape I've seen of McGil and reading Seahawk coaches/fans, OMG he might be our best steal.

Really happy with the direction our D is going.

As we watched preseason games, the announcers said very little about Okine.  He would be in on 3 or 4 tackles, and his name was not mentioned.

One thing to note about this guy, he threw his blockers around like tacking dummies.  he could be a force on FGs too.  I feel he is a major threat to block FGs and extra points.  I am glad he made this football team!! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Gavin spoke on Okine before training camp even started and I had good impressions of him also even though initially I felt they may cut him.  Turns out my boy Quarles got cut and they kept Okine.  Not a big surprise overall because I watched some of the old Florida Gators tape of Okine and he was a man out there. When say that guy got some good knock em back on those lineman defending the run I am not playing.  When he gets his hands on those lineman he controls them and pushes them right back into the backfield, sheds and then seeks out the ball carrier.. 

He is very long and athletic so I could certainly see us rushing him off the edge at times if they need to. Put that big guy on the edge and you know it will be set!  All the guys we have on that line now are able to put pressure on the pocket, and what I like a whole lot is they are all 6 foot 6 or better in height so you know we'll be getting a lot of tipped passes this year.  Okine is a really solid backup for Langford in my opinion.

we are the only ones, lol.

I see them growing as the year rolls on.  Anderson and Parry are so used to each other that they are a perfect 'team.'  Langford will do his job.  Kerr will play hard!  Okine and his 'oven mitts' will make players he hits...go backwards.

We can also rotate the linebackers...we are soooo solid there.  Love how aggressive we can be. :coltslogo:

I thought Okine was the most consistent DLineman for the Colts during the preseason.  I know when I read Jones was going to miss time with injury, I was half expecting Okine to get the starting nod.

CD, if you feel he was the most consistent DL, I believe you because I wasn't paying nearly the attention to him as I was to Langford and the big names.

I thought Okine was the most consistent DLineman for the Colts during the preseason.  I know when I read Jones was going to miss time with injury, I was half expecting Okine to get the starting nod.

I was just sitting here this morning watching the preseason game vs the Bengals and a thought occurred to me while watching Okine. Im watching his ability to accelerate off the snap quick and Im thinking to myself....We need someone at NT that can accelerate off the snap like him sometimes and drive the Center into the backfield. Now obviously I don't think he could handle that down after down as he would just wind up getting doubled and washed out. He is not big or strong enough to hold the A Gaps.... but do you think it would be worth having him play NT from time to time and say Langford at 5 Tech and Anderson at 3 tech

I don't think anyone is going to confuse our D-line witht that of the Rams, but you see a trend here. We're going for more athletic guys up front, and say what you will about Okine, but the young man gets after it. Some guys take years before that light bulb finally comes on. I hope he has a great season, as he looked pretty solid in the pre-season games that I saw.

Nice article. Doyle was turning into Brad Wells Lite, but this one read pretty well.

Let's see if we're singing his praises in a few months.  It wasn't long ago that Chapman was an 800lb safe.  (Even then I said it was pretty easy to run around a safe)

Sure it is...if the other 10 guys on the field aren't doing their jobs. ;)

So don't expect him to just suddenly "turn it on" and start making plays left, right and center.

Just temper expectations, that's all i meant.

But how he got here is irrelevant. The fact is he made it here and looked darn good in preseason. Good enough where the FO was comfortable enough to cut experienced vets in favor of him.

But how he got here is irrelevant. The fact is he made it here and looked darn good in preseason. Good enough where the FO was comfortable enough to cut experienced vets in favor of him.

Looked darn good? I don't know what everyone else saw, but he didnt look anything special to me. Yeah he made a few nice pass rush plays, but he also completely missed his edge contain a few times to let some big runs past as well. Let's not forget he was playing against 2's, 3's and players who were cut.

By temper expectations, all i mean is dont expect him to come in and dominate the line of scrimmage and create a lot of sacks etc against starters. 

Neither player was going to get a 2nd contract  based on how they were playing most likely, Everybody knew Chapmans ceilng....He has reached it. Hughes I thought would have stuck another year but both players were cut for a player with a higher upside. With that said he still will have a learning curve. Experience is good in football......But players that have a high talent level that can learn through experience is better. I mean who would you rather have? 11 year veteran DT Colin Cole of the Panthers or Star Lotuleilei DT of Panthers?

Looked darn good? I don't know what everyone else saw, but he didnt look anything special to me. Yeah he made a few nice pass rush plays, but he also completely missed his edge contain a few times to let some big runs past as well. Let's not forget he was playing against 2's, 3's and players who were cut.

By temper expectations, all i mean is dont expect him to come in and dominate the line of scrimmage and create a lot of sacks etc against starters.

He had 3 sacks (tied with 1 other for most by any 3-4 defensive lineman) and he was consistently around the ball and in the backfield. Yes, he looked darn good. The only way a nobody like him, as you pointed out, had of making this team was to look darn good.

I don't think anyone expects him to dominate out the gate but his potential is exciting and undeniable.

I'm certainly a believer in the "let's wait and see" mentality, but I am optimistic enough to think our defense is really being discounted this year. I think our pass rush is key this year though. If our offense is as good as they can be, then our opponents may be running the ball less when we're ahead. If we can create pressure in the passing game our pretty solid secondary should do the rest. We also need to be able to stop the run early!

Neither player was going to get a 2nd contract  based on how they were playing most likely, Everybody knew Chapmans ceilng....He has reached it. 

Man..seriously?  Come on...you've said yourself that one of his biggest issues, which I agree with, is his lack of stamina.  If trainers were to work with Chapman to help him lose some of the belly fat and improve his cardio conditioning, then his stamina and speed also improve, thus making him a potentially better player.  With that being the case, how can you possibly determine that he's reached his ceiling already (not to mention the fact he was only a full time starter for one full year).  

I have no problem with Chapman being cut.  The Colts are obviously modifying their defensive scheme and Chapman no longer fits.  Still, he was never as bad as many around here try to claim, and to say he's definitely hit his ceiling already is the type of ignorant and sensationalized comment I would expect from some, but not you.

:rantoff:

Man..seriously?  Come on...you've said yourself that one of his biggest issues, which I agree with, is his lack of stamina.  If trainers were to work with Chapman to help him lose some of the belly fat and improve his cardio conditioning, then his stamina and speed also improve, thus making him a potentially better player.  With that being the case, how can you possibly determine that he's reached his ceiling already (not to mention the fact he was only a full time starter for one full year).  

I have no problem with Chapman being cut.  The Colts are obviously modifying their defensive scheme and Chapman no longer fits.  Still, he was never as bad as many around here try to claim, and to say he's definitely hit his ceiling already is the type of ignorant and sensationalized comment I would expect from some, but not you.

:rantoff:

Because he has been an NFL player for three years now and I don't think (But cant recall for certain) he had lost a single pound. I mean its fun to imagine what a player could do if for example he goes from 340lbs to lets say 315-320 but at NT or almost any D Line spot that don't happen much, you will usually get maybe 4-5 pound loss here or there but generally they stay around the same weight or gain it during their careers. I also think if Colts staff thought he was going to drop some LB's to gain some mobility and agility and stamina then they would have stuck with him

Because he has been an NFL player for three years now and I don't think (But cant recall for certain) he had lost a single pound. I mean its fun to imagine what a player could do if for example he goes from 340lbs to lets say 315-320 but at NT or almost any D Line spot that don't happen much, you will usually get maybe 4-5 pound loss here or there but generally they stay around the same weight or gain it during their careers. 

Why do people keep forgetting he was not healthy enough to do anything his rookie year due to recovery from knee surgery, which could have affected him gaining weight in the first place.  

I also think if Colts staff thought he was going to drop some LB's to gain some mobility and agility and stamina then they would have stuck with him

Or, they decided that the majority of their personnel better fit into a 1 gap scheme, so they decided to part ways with the 2 guys that really ONLY work currently in a 2-gap...Chapman and Hughes.  

Either way, it's ridiculous to think or say that a 2 year player (he didn't get to play at all his rookie year, remember?) has reached his ceiling.

Exactly, Okine looks really good. Can't what to see him get more playing time. On what limited tape I've seen of McGil and reading Seahawk coaches/fans, OMG he might be our best steal.

Really happy with the direction our D is going.

Yes, McGill looked so good Noone would give a 7th rounder for him. lol