Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you expect from Phillip Dorsett this year?

Flash7

This thread is not to discuss his draft position. Let's move on from that and embrace him as a player.

Phillip Dorsett is an exciting speedster with great hands and unbelievable ability. I think he will make Colts fans proud once the season is under way. By all accounts, he is a focused and determined individual and is looking to make an impact this year.

Here are Hilton's and Moncrief's rookie numbers:

T.Y. Hilton:  50 Receptions   861 Yards   7 TDs

Moncrief:    32 Receptions   444 Yards    3 Tds

What do you expect from Dorsett this year? I think his numbers will be closer to Moncrief's rookie year rather than T.Y.'s. because the current receiving corps consists of T.Y., Moncrief, and Andre Johnson, all whom he will have to share the ball with.

I think he will see plenty of time in the Slot. I think as the Season progresses the Offense will switch with AJ and TY starting to Moncrief and TY taking the starting roles. Dorsett will see substantial field in 3 WR and 4 WR sets primarily working out of the slot.

i predict 44 receptions, 550 yards and 6 receiving TD's

and he will return a Kickoff and punt back for Six!!! 

I don't think we should underestimate Andre Johnson. Luck relies on veteran receivers (as with Wayne) and Andre is a heck of a receiver to rely on. We will all be happy to finally see him playing with the Colts.

I'm really not sold on him yet.

I mean he only had 36 receptions his senior year. 108 in his college career.

To compare:

T.Y. Had 72 his senior year and 229 in his college career.

Moncrief had 59 his senior year and 156 in this college career and he left after his Junior year.

Yes Dorsett is fast but how do we know he's a good reciever!?

I'm not so sure....

He was underused to the extreme at Miami.

He had a freshman QB, Horrible OC and it was very known he was "criminally underused" his last year at the U. That's why some scouts say "He'll be a better pro than collegiate player."

He does have some production without the horrible scheme and supporting QB. Look at his Shopomore year I believe something like 76 catches.

To compare:

Moncrief had 59 his senior year and 156 in this college career and he left after his Junior year.

I'm not so sure....

Forgot to quote this on the post above, so there is the actually responce!

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

rookie QB his senior year I believe and they are a running team

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

He suffered from a very inconsistent QB and Miami ran ALOT!

I don't think we should underestimate Andre Johnson. Luck relies on veteran receivers (as with Wayne) and Andre is a heck of a receiver to rely on. We will all be happy to finally see him playing with the Colts.

Everyone will absolutely Gush over having AJ here in Indy. But ultimately i think his sole presence is to bring that veteran Leadership to the WR Core. I think Moncrief will transition into that starting role sooner rather than later. i see no reason to slow down his development for an aging Receiver who will be gone in a year or two!!!

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

By watching him play.

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

They had a pretty crappy quarterback, that's why Miami ran the ball all the time.  Can't catch the ball when the team runs all the time.

Everyone will absolutely Gush over having AJ here in Indy. But ultimately i think his sole presence is to bring that veteran Leadership to the WR Core. I think Moncrief will transition into that starting role sooner rather than later. i see no reason to slow down his development for an aging Receiver who will be gone in a year or two!!!

Fair enough, if you see it that way. I also don't want to hinder Moncrief's progression.

To the portion in bold: The reason that Andre Johnson is here is because he can contribute in a great way. He is aging but he's still capable of playing at a very high level. For a team knocking at the door of the Super Bowl, Andre Johnson's ability and toughness is a much needed asset.

Colts aren't paying AJ that kind of money to be a veteran presence. If they wanted that they could have signed Rwggie for much less. Plus, TY is going into his 4th yr and learned from one of the best.

He will stretch the defense 

I see AJ owning the underneath routes as the two blazers take the top of the defense away.....

After a few long passes, Gore will be running against dime packages..... (A dream of the big back)

It will be a great thing!

This offense will be amazing IMHO

30 REC, 450 YD, 3 TD

throw in a punt return TD as well. 

I do think Dorsett will have more of an impact than my projections indicate.  there just aren't enough balls to go around right now.  I expect big things when AJ declines/leaves.

I feel like he has the flexibility to not only to be a solid RT, and also give us some meaningful snaps on the DL ... oh wait ...

--- with our shortage of pass catchers I expect him to have at least 20 catches ....

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

36 receptions yes, but only 1 drop.  That alone shows good hands. He was not targeted much due to the style Miami played last year.

Once he gets the system down, I think he'll be the #2 post in a 3 wr set. and A.J. would take the slot.  I won't take a guess at stats because of how many weapons Luck has to throw to.  Plus it will depend on how the run game gets going.  A better run game will mean less yards and TD's through the air.  But it also means more big plays down field due to the play action that a successful run game can bring.

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

look at the QB he had throwing to him.

Well, his speed is lethal and fluid, so I think he gets behind defenses and catches 7 long balls for TD's and takes another 4 to the house with his change of direction and separation off shorter routes. That makes 11. Too many you say? I say he gets another one in goal line. So 12.

I think Dorsett ' s numbers had better, at least, rival TY's rookie numbers, or this pick is a bust. Neither TY nor Moncrief were anywhere near a first round pick. And please, don't argue for his KR or PA abilities. You don't draft returners in the first round, even if their last name is Hester.

IMHO, Dorsett needs to have his number called early and often. Otherwise, why did u spend a first rounder on a player who is a luxury pick with so many areas of need on your team, Mr Grigson?

I think Dorsett ' s numbers had better, at least, rival TY's rookie numbers, or this pick is a bust. Neither TY nor Moncrief were anywhere near a first round pick. And please, don't argue for his KR or PA abilities. You don't draft returners in the first round, even if their last name is Hester.

IMHO, Dorsett needs to have his number called early and often. Otherwise, why did u spend a first rounder on a player who is a luxury pick with so many areas of need on your team, Mr Grigson?

Because the second best WR on our team is 33 and the best is an undersized FA next yr with an agent with a reputation of getting top dollar.

The same reason we spent a second on a CB it's called being proactive rather than reactive. What are 2 of the most expensive positions in the FA market?

The kids going to be really good. I think he's our 3rd best WR going in. Moncrief has a high ceiling but he's pretty raw still. Dorsett is going to surprise a lot of people.

If some team offers TY a crazy Rosenhaus type contract this pick will look even better.

This board puts a lot of confidence in a CFL player that coukdn't make a PS just 2 years ago. We weren't as stacked at WR as some want to believe.

To compare:

I'm not so sure....

Those who watch more film than I do say his talents were not utilized properly in Miami's offense.  He has more talent than what they took advantage of.

To all that responded... Thanks! I have seen some film on him also but not as much as others.

I get he was under utilized at Miami and that he didn't have a quarterback.....

So how do you know that he is going to be great if he hasn't been able to show it yet.....

I'm just confused because everyone is saying that he basically is going to come in and be T.Y. Hilton or better. Obviously you can see potential but I'm just not positive how people can be so sure about it.

I'm not saying he is going to be bad by any means. I'm just not saying he is going to come in and be great either.

I'm just not so sure about him. I really don't see him coming in and being a T.Y. (Not trying to compare the two. He is his own player but there are going to be expectations.)

I hope he is great though!

52 receptions 4 TD's--Dorsett 605 yards receiving

86 receptions 11 TD's-Hilton 1275 yards receiving

63 receptions 8 TD's-Moncrief 827 yards receiving

58 receptions 5 TD's-Johnson 567 yards receiving (I see him as primarily a red zone target)

50 receptions 7 TD's-Fleener 750 yards receiving

45 receptions 4 TD's-Allen 575 yards receiving

30 receptions 2 TD's-Carter 200 yards receiving

Close to Moncrief's numbers but will do a lot as a returner.

Hope he shows vs the Patriots Moncrief hasn't managed a reception in 2 games.

Despite his numbers at Miami I think he's more polished quicker in and out of breaks, catches the ball effortlessly, and is more dangerous with it in his hands.

I am not knocking Moncrief love his upside I just think Dorsett is ready to go now.

To all that responded... Thanks! I have seen some film on him also but not as much as others.

I get he was under utilized at Miami and that he didn't have a quarterback.....

So how do you know that he is going to be great if he hasn't been able to show it yet.....

I'm just confused because everyone is saying that he basically is going to come in and be T.Y. Hilton or better. Obviously you can see potential but I'm just not positive how people can be so sure about it.

I'm not saying he is going to be bad by any means. I'm just not saying he is going to come in and be great either.

I'm just not so sure about him. I really don't see him coming in and being a T.Y. (Not trying to compare the two. He is his own player but there are going to be expectations.)

I hope he is great though!

It doesn't take much video to see that he's already a more polished player than Moncrief. He has a great set of hands, is already pretty solid in route running, and has no problems catching the ball in traffic. Miami's offense was 60-65%, at the least, centered around Duke Johnson with everyone else getting the rest. Dorsett is going to be put in an offense that utilizes his strengths, not to mention being paired with Luck. As Grigson said in the press conference when they drafted him, he's already fast on grass now he gets to play 8 games in doors on our turf. This will be a track meet with him and TY on the field. It's one thing to have speed (DHB), but a whole different level when they have that speed and can actually track and catch the football (TY and Dorsett).