Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson asks to be cut or traded

snkdy

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it. LOL, but I wouldn't mind Johnson at all. I know he's getting older, but if we cant get a guy like Marshall (Who I'm hoping for btw), I think Johnson would be perfect on a short term deal. It wont surprise me if Grigs is interested once he gets released either.

Sucks to hear this, but there is a new top dog in Houston and Andre has been showing signs of decline. I wish him the best wherever he ends up. I suppose this means we could be looking at receivers early in the Draft too.

Sucks to hear this, but there is a new top dog in Houston and Andre has been showing signs of decline. I wish him the best wherever he ends up. I suppose this means we could be looking at receivers early in the Draft too.

I thought you'd be more salty. I know his stand-off last year irked you.

I actually dislike when this stuff happens. It's rare that great players finish their career in one place, in any sport. 

I recently re-watched the first Texans/Colts game from last season, the one where Hilton went off. Those back shoulder completions from Fitzpatrick to AJ were incredible, practically unstoppable. Some receivers are open even when they aren't open. AJ is one of them. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000475954/article/andre-johnson-granted-permission-to-seek-trade

NFL.com suggests a 3 year 12M$ deal like steve smith.

I would take AJ to be our #2 at that kind of a contract. Let Moncreif learn a little more as our #3. Anything under 6M a year I would take him. We gave Nicks 5.5M$ I'd be ok giving it to AJ.

The colts signed Hakeem Nicks at 3.975M. Very cheap. Andre would probably be in the $6M+ range per year.

I thought you'd be more salty. I know his stand-off last year irked you.

I actually dislike when this stuff happens. It's rare that great players finish their career in one place, in any sport.

Yeah last year's trouble was enough to let me be able to handle this news better, if that makes sense. I dislike this too; It always seems like the greats end up finishing in different places than they begin. That said, I thought Andre would finish here but power to him. That ring hopefully isn't too far away.

He'd be an improvement over Reggie Wayne but I'd much prefer Brandon Marshall.  A few years ago I'd be all for this but Andre Johnson is 34 and starting to show decline.  We need a real difference maker to go along with T.Y. not another guy who we cross our fingers and hope can recapture some his former glory. 

Yeah last year's trouble was enough to let me be able to handle this news better, if that makes sense. I dislike this too; It always seems like the greats end up finishing in different places than they begin. That said, I thought Andre would finish here but power to him. That ring hopefully isn't too far away.

Texans are up against the cap and have holes to fill. The cap situation doesn't match up with his age and cap hit. Just one of those things that are part of football. 

Texans are up against the cap and have holes to fill. The cap situation doesn't match up with his age and cap hit. Just one of those things that are part of football.

Yep, that too. Safety, LB, WR...so much needs to be addressed. Still, Andre Johnson is a legend in Houston and he will be missed.

Yep, that too. Safety, LB, WR...so much needs to be addressed. Still, Andre Johnson is a legend in Houston and he will be missed.

He is the player I associate with the name Houston Texans, although barring injury I think it may be Watt and Johnson one day.

I would love to have him, and we have advantages. First if Reggie retires, he would be the perfect replacement. He has a good 2-3 years in him as a very good possession receiver. First advantage, Miami connection, Chuck and Reggie, so that helps a little. Second, he wants a contender and a good QB. Mark that box. Third, instead of playing the Texans possibly once a year, he gets them twice a year to inflict damage on his old team. I think we would have a shot at him, and he really would be a perfect fit. 3 yrs. at 12M won't do it though. He won't go to Jack. or Oakland since it is not the money right now, but I think it still take 5-6M. I think it would be worth it, plus it lets us be more judicious about the draft, we don't have to grab a WR this year, although I still think it would be a good idea.

No one will trade for him, because although it would be a 6th or 7th, you then have to redo his contract. You don't want that baggage.

What a gutless move by Houston. They want him gone, and want to make it seem like it was Johnson's idea so they don't take any heat. They feed him some B.S. about only getting 40 catches so when he asks to be let out of his contract, they take no blame. Spineless. What utter disrespect to your franchises legend.

Andre Johnson is a beast. I remember when no-name Case Keenum was starting against us and he would throw deep bombs to Andre, and Andre would come down with it. Check this highlight vid out of Case Keenum starting @ 1:13. With the exception of the QB scramble, every throw is to Andre Johnson. This guy made Case Keenum look good, and Andre made Vontae Davis look like a fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPZ4sa4B4w#t=1m13s

I would be absolutely ecstatic to sign Andre Johnson. Pay the man.

I think this will be good for Houston. Johnson did not want to be part of the rebuild to begin with and O'Brien has a plan for this team so getting younger at that position and continuing to find the right QB will be key. The defense can carry the load in the short term which is a great thing to have while the O comes along.

I hope the Pats take a long look at him. Not to trade but to pick up in FA. They should be able to get him on the cheap and I think he still has a couple of more good seasons. Would love to see him opposite of LaFell.

Why do you think anyone would be able to pick him up for a cheap price? The 'reduced' role the Texans probably wanted to give him was the number 2 role, thus allowing Hopkins to take over as the number 1. He probably still wants number-1-type money, which is why he's leaving Houston.

Why do you think anyone would be able to pick him up for a cheap price? The 'reduced' role the Texans probably wanted to give him was the number 2 role, thus allowing Hopkins to take over as the number 1. He probably still wants number-1-type money, which is why he's leaving Houston.

Because he made it clear last year that he wanted to get a ring. What better place than NE for that. And when I say cheap, I don't mean peanuts but certainly not $11.5 mil.

No team is going to trade for him obviously. 16 million cap hit right? Its just a matter of time before he's a free agent.

Not really. . . if you trade a player away you are still responsible for the pro-rated portion of the cap hit.  So if you look at his contract the team receiving him would be responsible for his salary and possibly his roster bonus (depends on if he's traded before the roster bonus comes into effect or not.  Usually the team would prefer to trade him before that.) 

So figure 11.5 M cap hit for the receiving team and a 12 M cap hit next year.  I believe you could also make the trade conditional upon reworking a contract with him.

So it's something to consider, especially if we don't feel quite comfortable going into next year with Moncrief as our #2.

I'd be okay with him.  He's a team guy, great hands, great size, faster than Nicks, younger than Reggie and still has some gas left.

Hilton, Moncrief, Carter, Johnson and plug in whatever Rookie(Jaelen Strong/Phillip Dorsett maybe).  Add a strong running game and I think we are set.