Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson asks to be cut or traded

snkdy

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you typing in this thread without negative bias towards Andre Johnson?

Because this is how I felt towards Shaq going to the Heat.

My franchise's all-time best player to this point just signed with one of our biggest rivals. Of course there is going to be a little negative bias. But I also know what Andre Johnson is capable of.

I really don't get the signing at all though. You didn't need an outside guy. You need help with your lines. Your offense was plenty good last year with Luck passing but no run game as no line and the Dline was also poor.

You don't get it because you're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

AJ isn't just an outside receiver. He moves around and played a lot of slot with Kubiak the previous two years. He can play the Reggie Wayne role from 2012. And that sure production / possession role was missing last season.

Also, signing AJ has nothing to do with the line play. It's like saying "why paint the trim, you need to do some landscaping." We can do both. We will.

My franchise's all-time best player to this point just signed with one of our biggest rivals. Of course there is going to be a little negative bias. But I also know what Andre Johnson is capable of.

85 catches and 900 yards from journeyman qbs. Sounds like he is pretty capable

I'm sure playing with luck is worth the additional 6.5 yards a game needed to get to 1000

Yeah, I guess Gore is just going to stand there and look pretty and the other Colts receivers aren't even going to be looked at then, despite the plethora of them (Allen, Fleener, Carter, Hilton, Nicks...).

Yeah, I guess Gore is just going to stand there and look pretty and the other Colts receivers aren't even going to be looked at then, despite the plethora of them (Allen, Fleener, Carter, Hilton, Nicks...).

Nicks is a FA, Carter has played zero NFL games

Nicks is a FA, Carter has played zero NFL games

So you don't think Nicks will be retained as another veteran guy to help the youngsters out? And I already know that Carter is an experiment but the guy wasn't signed to be riding the bench. He's going to compete in training camp and in games too.

So you don't think Nicks will be retained as another veteran guy to help the youngsters out? And I already know that Carter is an experiment but the guy wasn't signed to be riding the bench. He's going to compete in

training camp and in games too.

With the Andre signing, I doubt Nicks is back. I could be wrong though.

Colts CAN turn into a spread offense.

But it all depends on Luck.

Edit: can because we never did spread or 4 WR

With the Andre signing, I doubt Nicks is back. I could be wrong though.

Yeah I know he picked up the slack at the end of last year and at least he is familiar with Andrew. Will be interesting to see if he does return.

You don't get it because you're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

AJ isn't just an outside receiver. He moves around and played a lot of slot with Kubiak the previous two years. He can play the Reggie Wayne role from 2012. And that sure production / possession role was missing last season.

Also, signing AJ has nothing to do with the line play. It's like saying "why paint the trim, you need to do some landscaping." We can do both. We will.

FA is about filling needs. This was not a top need for you IMO. He is a nice addition but this was more of an emotional signing I am sure for the Colts to stick it to the Texans and for sure will continue to help the offense that led the league in points for most of last year but you could have better allocated that money to pressing needs. Luck will make it work with whomever is out there that is obvious at this poiint. He needs protection and Gore needs a line to run behind.

FA is about filling needs. This was not a top need for you IMO. He is a nice addition but this was more of an emotional signing I am sure for the Colts to stick it to the Texans and for sure will continue to help the offense that led the league in points for most of last year but you could have better allocated that money to pressing needs. Luck will make it work with whomever is out there that is obvious at this poiint. He needs protection and Gore needs a line to run behind.

This is a fail of an argument.  

WR is positively a need for the Colts, and a huge need at that.  I would not be surprised if they draft one as well.  And the logic that his signing was more emotional than anything makes no sense.  He helps Indy - that is all there is to it. 

And the notion that resources could have been better spent elsewhere fails as well.  1) They already have made a few moves already and 2) FA is not done and the draft is still out there.  

They have needs all over - why does not fulfilling the needs in the order you think (or some NE sportswriter) they should mean they have ignored what to you are more pressing needs?

This is a fail of an argument.  

WR is positively a need for the Colts, and a huge need at that.  I would not be surprised if they draft one as well.  And the logic that his signing was more emotional than anything makes no sense.  He helps Indy - that is all there is to it. 

And the notion that resources could have been better spent elsewhere fails as well.  1) They already have made a few moves already and 2) FA is not done and the draft is still out there.  

They have needs all over - why does not fulfilling the needs in the order you think (or some NE sportswriter) they should mean they have ignored what to you are more pressing needs?

Sure, he is a nice player and you got him on a good contract too but you did not lose the AFC title game because of your skill guys. You had one of the best offenses in the league so skill guys were more than fine especially with Luck at the helm. He needs protection and Gore needs a line. That was the thrust of the article ...

Sure, he is a nice player and you got him on a good contract too but you did not lose the AFC title game because of your skill guys. You had one of the best offenses in the league so skill guys were more than fine especially with Luck at the helm. He needs protection and Gore needs a line. That was the thrust of the article ...

I'd argue a big reason the team lost the AFC Title game was because our skill guys couldn't get open. TY was double teamed and out other guys couldn't make anything happen. Andre helps out a lot. The emotional argument is silly, the Colts didn't need Andre to stick it to the Texans.

I say this with all sincerity - I don't believe you to be a troll but I do shake my head in disbelief basically every time you post something.

The Colts lost because at the core, the Pats were a better team.  One of the main reasons they lost in the playoffs was because the Colts' receivers could not beat the Pats' press coverage.  They could not get separation - now I know it goes against your theory, or whoever's theory you are parroting, but that is reality.  They addressed that issue by not bringing back Wayne and Nicks and signing Johnson.   

The other reality is that they are now 2 days into free agency.  Some of these other issues can still be addressed by bringing in other players and you know... the draft.

So it begs the question - what in the world is the issue with signing Johnson? 

I say this with all sincerity - I don't believe you to be a troll but I do shake my head in disbelief basically every time you post something.

The Colts lost because at the core, the Pats were a better team.  One of the main reasons they lost in the playoffs was because the Colts' receivers could not beat the Pats' press coverage.  They could not get separation - now I know it goes against your theory, or whoever's theory you are parroting, but that is reality.  They addressed that issue by not bringing back Wayne and Nicks and signing Johnson.   

The other reality is that they are now 2 days into free agency.  Some of these other issues can still be addressed by bringing in other players and you know... the draft.

So it begs the question - what in the world is the issue with signing Johnson? 

I completely disagree with the reason you stated for why you lost the AFC title game. Blount ran on you for 150 yards and 3 TDs which tipped ToP to 37 min to 23 min  in the Pats favor. You were down 14-0 in the first quarter which made your offense one dimensional and allowed the Pats to play coverage with no fear of the run. It really does not matter much if you have in prime Jerry Rice out there if your defense is going to let up rushing like that and put your O in the hole early.

Also, take a look at the two teams in the SB this year- outside of Gronk, who were the premier WRs on either team? Edelman who is a slot guy that catches short passes and gets good YAC and Matthews for Seattle who had never caught a ball prior to the SB. What both teams had in common, however, was physical play at the lines which allowed the Hawks to run for 100 yards plus and on the flip the Pats O allowed Brady to tear apart the Seattle secondary in the second half.

Of course the Colts can continue to add pieces but adding another skill guy at $7 mil a pop who is aging on top seems counter intuitive to what the real weaknesses are on the team. That was my main point not that signing overall is horrible.

Maybe, you can't remember anymore since it's in the past now but.... Our skill guys couldn't get open. Our WR's were pretty much locked tight and covered. Trent Richardson is a 1st round bust and can't run the football unless the hole is as wide as a bus. Ahmad can run on our O-Line but he gets hurt way too often, which leaves us stuck with back up RB's. We made some O-Line signings this week and with a proven RB like Frank Gore, we will get it done, FINALLY.

I completely disagree with the reason you stated for why you lost the AFC title game. Blount ran on you for 150 yards and 3 TDs which tipped ToP to 37 min to 23 min  in the Pats favor. You were down 14-0 in the first quarter which made your offense one dimensional and allowed the Pats to play coverage with no fear of the run. It really does not matter much if you have in prime Jerry Rice out there if your defense is going to let up rushing like that and put your O in the hole early.

Also, take a look at the two teams in the SB this year- outside of Gronk, who were the premier WRs on either team? Edelman who is a slot guy that catches short passes and gets good YAC and Matthews for Seattle who had never caught a ball prior to the SB. What both teams had in common, however, was physical play at the lines which allowed the Hawks to run for 100 yards plus and on the flip the Pats O allowed Brady to tear apart the Seattle secondary in the second half.

Of course the Colts can continue to add pieces but adding another skill guy at $7 mil a pop who is aging on top seems counter intuitive to what the real weaknesses are on the team. That was my main point not that signing overall is horrible.

Reading comprehension would help make this a more productive conversation...

First off, stop freaking saying "you" in refering to the AFC CG because I did not play, coach, or anything else.  I had no bearing on the outcome of the game.  I know what you are trying to say with the you but it is annoying as hell.  The Colts lost the game.

Secondly, I did not say the only reason the Colts lost was their inability to get separation in the passing game - just that it was ONE of the reasons.  I also don't need the stats recited for me - I watched every blasted minute of the game and know full well what happened. 

Lastly, the Colts got better so far in FA in areas that they needed to get better - whether you want to believe or acknowledge that.  They still have cap space to do more moves if needed and again there is the draft which is another way of saying they are not freaking done yet.  And in case you were not aware, they have made moves to bolster both lines and maybe they also like the players they are developing as well. 

Which again begs the question - what in the world is so hard to understand about signing Johnson?  He makes them better which is what they need to be in order to compete with the Pats. 

Which again begs the question - what in the world is so hard to understand about signing Johnson?  He makes them better which is what they need to be in order to compete with the Pats. 

Yes, he does make the team better no question. I was more discussing overall team building versus just player analysis given FA is for addressing pertinent needs ...

Andre was an excellent pick up for the Colts considering the fact Reggie isn't coming back.  Every other team out there would have loved to pick up Andre and would be cheering about it.  On the other hand, some fans of other teams are going to be bitter about it because it is a nice piece to the Colts offense.  I agree with what a few of the Colts members said, TY got doubled and no one else could get open, Andre will be able to get open, Gore is excellent in protections and blocking which helps a lot.  I do agree the Colts need to upgrade their O-line a little more and their D line as well as get a nice safety.  Getting Andre Johnson isn't going to make them worse, he makes this team better.  Is he going to get 1500-2000 yards? Probably not because their are going to be a lot of weapons on this team but that's the good part.  Defenses can pick their poison.

Yeah I know he picked up the slack at the end of last year and at least he is familiar with Andrew. Will be interesting to see if he does return.

I think it's a given that Nicks plays somewhere other than Indy this year. Probably a better chance that he signs with the Texans than the Colts.

Yes, he does make the team better no question. I was more discussing overall team building versus just player analysis given FA is for addressing pertinent needs ...

You aren't as subtle as you think you are. If you want to call Grigson a hack and be like the other 1024891048190482190 Patriots fans out there mocking the Colts FA for not having one of the blatantly overpriced DT's in it, go right ahead.

I think it's a given that Nicks plays somewhere other than Indy this year. Probably a better chance that he signs with the Texans than the Colts.

I wouldn't mind that at all, either. How long do you think it will take before he's released?

Nice job by Indy. Couldn't find a better veteran to step in and fill whatever void Reggie Wayne's departure will leave behind. Any team would be fortunate to have AJ. Seems a bit high money-wise but I haven't seen the details and am guessing the last year on the deal is an easy out for the team if they want (or even the last two). 

The Colts have added some nice pieces and still have the draft to fix the foundation. I'd rather see my team fill out some skill position players with FA and get the "bigs" through the draft, which seems to be their exact approach. 

Well, you think you know a guy...but like I said earlier in the thread, this will just make it feel better when we beat the Colts.

He had only signed a 1 year deal in 2014. So he's been a free agent since the period opened Tuesday.

He had only signed a 1 year deal in 2014. So he's been a free agent since the period opened Tuesday.

I assume you're talking about Nicks...hmm, interesting. I'm sure a few WR-needy teams will inquire about his services. But then again, after seeing his initial ineffectiveness last season...some teams might not want to take the chance.

I assume you're talking about Nicks...hmm, interesting. I'm sure a few WR-needy teams will inquire about his services. But then again, after seeing his initial ineffectiveness last season...some teams might not want to take the chance.

Yes talking about Nicks. I'm thinking he's probably being looked at as a depth guy . He had real issues getting separation with the Colts. I think he has some value as a 3rd or 4th WR for a team that wants a possession receiver . He has some red zone value also as he's big and has good hands. Luck is not good at throwing fades , so maybe another QB can utilize that better than the Colts did ? 

Yes talking about Nicks. I'm thinking he's probably being looked at as a depth guy . He had real issues getting separation with the Colts. I think he has some value as a 3rd or 4th WR for a team that wants a possession receiver . He has some red zone value also as he's big and has good hands. Luck is not good at throwing fades , so maybe another QB can utilize that better than the Colts did ? 

Yeah, I can think of a few guys. Nicks will be with a team this season I think.

Reading comprehension would help make this a more productive conversation...

First off, stop freaking saying "you" in refering to the AFC CG because I did not play, coach, or anything else.  I had no bearing on the outcome of the game.  I know what you are trying to say with the you but it is annoying as hell.  The Colts lost the game.

Secondly, I did not say the only reason the Colts lost was their inability to get separation in the passing game - just that it was ONE of the reasons.  I also don't need the stats recited for me - I watched every blasted minute of the game and know full well what happened. 

Lastly, the Colts got better so far in FA in areas that they needed to get better - whether you want to believe or acknowledge that.  They still have cap space to do more moves if needed and again there is the draft which is another way of saying they are not freaking done yet.  And in case you were not aware, they have made moves to bolster both lines and maybe they also like the players they are developing as well. 

Exactly we got better on both sides especially on offense, and in some games against good defenseʻs we could not move the ball, a bunch of 3 and outs put our defense in bad situations and sapped theyʻre energy and confidence, we will be going to the SB vs Seahawks or Packers...GO COLTS!

Well, you think you know a guy...but like I said earlier in the thread, this will just make it feel better when we beat the Colts.

Your team treated him unfairly, Hopkins only got more recʻs because of AJ, so I guess they should pick up Nicks and the Colts will meet theyʻre toughest div rivals the Texans on the field, Good Luck cause we got one already

Your team treated him unfairly, Hopkins only got more recʻs because of AJ, so I guess they should pick up Nicks and the Colts will meet theyʻre toughest div rivals the Texans on the field, Good Luck cause we got one already

That's a flawed line of thinking. He wasn't treated unfairly. The NFL is a business. The team didn't want to pay too much for an aging wide receiver, and no, Hopkins didn't thrive simply because of Andre Johnson. Hopkins drew double teams more often than not or faced off against the opposing team's top corner for a reason. And just an example...Andre missed the last Colts game. Hopkins still had 5 catches for an average of 15.4 yards. Hopkins was a beast at Clemson and Texans brass knew what they were doing when we drafted him. Thanks for the good luck wishes though. Same to you :thmup: