Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who to cut next?

bap1331

I think Thomas may be given an opportunity to prove himself, since I think he is regarded as a good guy.  I think just based upon atitude that we all perceive, Trent gets cut before Thomas.

What?

Thomas will not be kept because he is a better guy than anyone else.  He may not be kept at all but if he is it will be due to fact that they still think they can get something for him.

And TR will ultimately get cut because he has underperformed.  No other reason.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YES !! This is the truth !! Weak in coverage but is a tackling machine, which is what he was brought here to do, So is the coverage issue on him or the DC ? obviously, you can not predict what every play is going to be, but, should he be out there on passing downs ?

He's the guy who gets the defense lined up and whatnot. They consider him an every down backer. And our defense generally leaves the two ILBs on the field all game. But yeah, I think there's a lot of merit to pulling him off the field in passing situations. 

I think Thomas may be given an opportunity to prove himself, since I think he is regarded as a good guy.  I think just based upon atitude that we all perceive, Trent gets cut before Thomas.

I mentioned this about Cherilus, but it goes double for Thomas. If he gets hurt (again) during offseason work, it makes it harder for the team to release him and get rid of his salary. He can't be released until he passes a physical, and if he can't pass a physical prior to Week 1, then his salary is guaranteed.

To me, I'd love to give Thomas another shot at staying healthy, but if he gets hurt again, we're paying him another $3.5m just to occupy the training staff. If he wants to stay, he has to take a pay cut to vet minimum, non-guaranteed, with some play time and awards incentives.

Thomas should be a no brainer cut.  I wonder if there is some reason they're not able to do it yet.. cause I would have thought that was the easiest of them all.

If we're paying Richardson's contract next year (I'm still not convinced that we'll be able to get out of his guarantee) then I would say he should stay at least through training camp.   See if he shows up in shape and motivated to play tough for his contract year.  Although if he's a cancer in the locker room then maybe you just have to cut your loses as there is no way he ends up with Colts in 2016.  Again, this is IF we're stuck paying him.

D. Jackson is already paid for next season and will be with the team, but most likely gone in 2016.

Unless there's reason to believe that Cherilus can't come back from his injury then he should be kept this year and also will be gone in 2016 when his base salary starts to skyrocket and his dead money hit becomes more reasonable.   I expect his eventual successor to be drafted this year.

Walden and Toler have earned their paychecks and should stay IMO.

I don't know why some here want Walden cut?

His year 2 was much, much better than his year 1.

He played very well for us, and when he wasn't in I don't think our defense was as good.

He doesn't even make that much money.

idk NCF tell me why everyone wants to cut Toler? My only problem with him when we signed him was injury history but this past year he was healthy and was a beast

idk NCF tell me why everyone wants to cut Toler? My only problem with him when we signed him was injury history but this past year he was healthy and was a beast

I like Toler,  but he has lived up to his injury history.    He was hurt for mor than half of his first season and it was denited a bit this season.

But like Walden,  Toler's 2nd season was better than his 1st season.   In Toler's case,  because he was available and played the whole season.    But when Toler played in his Season 1,  he was very good and so was our defense.   Pagano has noted that when Toler got hurt in Season 1,  our defense took a nose dive.

I'd like Walden back.   I'd like Toler back.   But some fans treat Free Agency like Christmas.   They think the more players we cut,  the more brand news toys there will be under the tree on the morning of Free Agency for everyone to open and have fun with.....

It's gets a little crazy around here sometimes....

I like Toler, but he has lived up to his injury history. He was hurt for mor than half of his first season and it was denited a bit this season.

But like Walden, Toler's 2nd season was better than his 1st season. In Toler's case, because he was available and played the whole season. But when Toler played in his Season 1, he was very good and so was our defense. Pagano has noted that when Toler got hurt in Season 1, our defense took a nose dive.

I'd like Walden back. I'd like Toler back. But some fans treat Free Agency like Christmas. They think the more players we cut, the more brand news toys there will be under the tree on the morning of Free Agency for everyone to open and have fun with.....

It's gets a little crazy around here sometimes....

yeah you don't create more holes when you have too many now!! Lol

What?

Thomas will not be kept because he is a better guy than anyone else.  He may not be kept at all but if he is it will be due to fact that they still think they can get something for him.

And TR will ultimately get cut because he has underperformed.  No other reason.

Landry, Nixon, and Ajax all got cut immediately after the season.  Landry was suspended, Nixon missed a plane, and AJax had a second dui.  The swiftness of their cuts sent a message about expected attitude and judgment.  There was no reason to cut them as soon as they were other than to send a message.  

I think Trent gets cut before Thomas.   If Thomas is cleared medically, I think he lasts longer than Trent despite any contract guarantees.

Landry, Nixon, and Ajax all got cut immediately after the season.  Landry was suspended, Nixon missed a plane, and AJax had a second dui.  The swiftness of their cuts sent a message about expected attitude and judgment.  There was no reason to cut them as soon as they were other than to send a message.  

I think Trent gets cut before Thomas.   If Thomas is cleared medically, I think he lasts longer than Trent despite any contract guarantees.

I think you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.  

I think both Thomas and TR will be gone - if so, does it really matter which one went first.  Ultimately they will be gone because they of their lack of quality play or too high of contract - not because they are good or bad guys.

If Richardson's contract is guaranteed we might as well keep him. Maybe some dumb team would give us a 6th rounder for him, doubt it though. Colts would be better off replacing Richardson with Deangelo Williams or Chris Johnson, both would be major upgrades. At this point focus on the DT position, we need beef up the middle..

Because were ready to make a trip to the super bowl and he cant even get to the quarterback...

That's not his job. His job is to set the edge in the run game. He's not going to get 20 sacks like some people unrealistically believe a Edge Rusher should get. He actually did a pretty good job of getting to the QB.

The Toler haters are hilarious. He's a really good #2 when he stays healthy.

Absolutely true. Toler is a keeper. Just keep fingers crossed on his avoiding injuries.

Thomas can leave any time...we can't afford to keep him on the 53 just to have him get hurt again...let some other team take the risk.

Toler and Walden are worth keeping.

RJF was a judgment call.

TRich, Ballard, and Thomas are clear cuts IMO.

Ballard is a likely cut because of his injuries,  but I'm not sure we gain enough salary cap relief to make much of a difference.

The guy was a 5th round pick still making almost minimum money off his rookie contract.

And, for whatever it's worth,  it's not clear yet that we'll get salary relief for cutting TRich,  though I expect him to be cut anyway.

He's terrible. Still having flashbacks from the NY game where Ayers was abusing him all night

Easily can get a better & younger backup in the draft.

He started playing much better later in the year. There is no harm in keeping him, drafting isn't an exact science. If it's as easy as you think we wouldn't have any OL problems with all the draft picks we've used on the OL. I'd be all for letting him fight for his spot against the draft pick...but just releasing him isn't smart.

Just my 2 cents, but IMO FO is about to re-tailor D-line. Recent cuts (Landry, RJF, Shaun Philips) were in D, and Cory Redding is considering retirement (what would be a big blow to our D) that's why I'm guessing D. 

T-Rich case is up in the air, he might get cut, but I don't expect major cuts in O (I don't count here Nicks, who will be probably let go after his contract expires)

I don't know why some here want Walden cut?

His year 2 was much, much better than his year 1.

He played very well for us, and when he wasn't in I don't think our defense was as good.

He doesn't even make that much money.[/quot

I'm with you Walden had a good yr brings intensity we need.

Don't see the rush on Godser thought post 6/1 was best bet anyway

Thomas needs to go he's never on the field Wanting to cut Waldeb surprises me,

Off topic what do you think about Quarkes I like him think he came out a yr early and if he used his time well on the PS has a chance to be a nice rotational guy for us. He's quick off the ball can get to QB long arms, I am interested to see what's up with him

This Walden nonsense needs to stop. I cannot understand what people have against this guy. He's good at setting the edge and isn't too shabby at rushing the QB. I mean...he's no Jerry Hughes, but really, who is?

Hughes was a bust here but when played in right position for the Bills, became a better player. Must have been our coaching.  Thomas, Bradshaw, Ballard, Trent, Walden need to go. Just don't get anymore ex Browns/Ravens in FA. There are other NFL teams Ryan.

I think you are adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.  

I think both Thomas and TR will be gone - if so, does it really matter which one went first.  Ultimately they will be gone because they of their lack of quality play or too high of contract - not because they are good or bad guys.

Ultimately, yes, but you're reading too much into my statement.  Attitude plays a part in how players are looked at.  Landry, Nixon, and AJax all got cut on the same day at a time when nobody had to be cut at all.  See a similarity in their behavior's and the similarity in the result?

RJF and TR have had 2 injury free years to prove their worth.  DT has not.  I assume that RJF was cut now, in part, to allow him, a good guy and hard worker, time to find another team during free agency.  I don't think that was the feeling behind the earlier cuts.

I'm not saying that he won't be cut for business reasons.  I'm saying that what looked like an obvious cut to everyone weeks ago, DT may in fact turn out to be the the 5th or 6th player cut behind others.  Attitude and opportunity plays a part in that, IMO.

How hard has DT worked in his recovery to get back into shape and how hard has TR worked to simply maintain himself?  I don't know the answer, but I'm sure management looks at that and will factor that in to the concept of rewarding the guys who work and not rewarding the guys who don't work.  That's a business decision too....setting the right tone for expectations.

Ultimately, DT will be cut if management feels that he can't perform or there will be an adequate replacement at a similar or less cost.  But they cut guys like Landry, Nixon, and Ajax even when there isn't a known replacement.  My guess is TR is being looked at in the same way.

Pretty good player at an important position if it works out.  I'm not sure how his money is structured this year, but if

we can do it I at least say we take the guy into camp.  I'm speaking about D. Thomas.

I'm all for bringing back Thomas if he restructures.  I have no idea what the likelihood of that is though.  We just desperately need some OL help

So you want to restructure the remaining year left on his deal, which probably means add more time as well instead of paying his smallish salary and possibly worry about health from him again next year? Since we desperately need OL help, why not just let the contract play out?

Donald Thomas & Trent Richardson will be the last 2 significant cuts.

Walden won't (and shouldn't) be cut. Cherilus won't (and shouldn't) be cut either.

Walden was much better last year and Cherilus was VERY good for us prior to his injury.

for those who don't like the werner draft pick they would really hate it if Walden wasn't here to hide it some. Walden has been what they hope Werner can become an edge setting linebacker who can get to the QB every so often. That doesn't mean Walden can't improve, he can, but as has been pointed out he's hardly as bad as some want him to be.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Chapman go. Of the 2012 class still on the roster, he is the weakest link. If you're Grigs and you're thinking about the 2012 guys you have to re-sign, Chapman is going to cross your mind. When you look at the good young NTs who will hit the FA market, and also factor in how deep that position group is in the draft, it's hard to see why you would keep him.

Not going to save a lot of money by cutting him, but there are better options out there. Let Hughes be the backup NT to who ever you bring in.