Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is T.Y. Hilton a top WR in the NFL?

BlueCollarColts

So far through 7 games this season Hilton has put up 47 rec for 711 yards and a TD, and is on pace for over 1,600 yards receiving this season. He has carved up defenses this year and is clearly Luck's favorite target, does he deserve to be up there with some of the top receiver's in the league? To me I say yes, you can't deny what he has done this year.

I think he's been as productive if not more then any of the top WR's in this league. As said by Gavin I think the biggest thing about TY is that he is learning and progressing as a WR. Not only is he showing solid hands time and time again, he's finding the holes in defenses consistently and has been huge for first downs. 

He continues to develop his route running and the mental side of the NFL then I really don't care how small people say he is, he will be a star. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsPerGame  He is one of only 4 WR's in the NFL to have over 100 yards/game.  Statistically, there is no question he's up there this year.  He is starting to become more than just a 'big play threat'.  I still don't think he's better than some of the guys with more physical ability than him (e.g., Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, etc.), but his numbers suggest he is a top-tier WR.

To be honest, I still think Reggie is a better overall WR than TY, but he is definitely learning how to become a solid all-around WR rather than just a homerun hitter.

Oh, but he will NEVER be another Marvin......

Route running blah blah blah

:yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Are you kidding me?

Wake up and smell the coffee folks.....And get used to it.

True receiver greatness is once again thriving in the Colts Camp.

It's undeniable.

ColtsHappy

I would still take Dez Calvin and Emmunal Sanders over him only those

He doesnt have the physical attibutes of Dez, Calvin, Brandon, AJ, Julio, or Demaryius but he is capable of putting up huge numbers ( like we have seen ) and can take the top of a Defense with the best of them.

I would take him all day every day and twice on Sunday over Sanders and i love ES.  

So far through 7 games this season Hilton has put up 47 rec for 711 yards and a TD, and is on pace for over 1,600 yards receiving this season. He has carved up defenses this year and is clearly Luck's favorite target, does he deserve to be up there with some of the top receiver's in the league? To me I say yes, you can't deny what he has done this year.

I'm not sure why this is even a question. The only argument( nonsensical ) against him is name recognition.

Oh, but he will NEVER be another Marvin......

Route running blah blah blah

:yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Are you kidding me?

Wake up and smell the coffee folks.....And get used to it.

True receiver greatness is once again thriving in the Colts Camp.

It's undeniable.

ColtsHappy

Ghost.....of Marvin

Only problem with TY is he doesn't get in the endzone very often.  He's small and doesn't get many looks in the redzone.

TY has had 3 or 4 different TD's that were either called back by penalty or a few inches short.

I think his lack of TD's are more of a product of the really good end zone targets that the Colts have, rather than him not being open in the red zone.

TY has had 3 or 4 different TD's that were either called back by penalty or a few inches short.

I think his lack of TD's are more of a product of the really good end zone targets that the Colts have, rather than him not being open in the red zone.

I remember one being called back by penalty.  The ones that where inches short prove my point though.  In those cases those where long passes where he got behind the D.  His lone TD this year was on a long pass.  He's just not a guy we use in the red zone a lot because of his size.

That's one of the reasons we signed NIcks.  

Only problem with TY is he doesn't get in the endzone very often.  He's small and doesn't get many looks in the redzone.

He doesn't get many looks because we have so many other choices who are better choices than he is.  You don't need to score a ton of touchdowns to be a top receiver in this league in my opinion.

He will learn the body corner like Marvin did so I think that will come into his game.

I feel like he is a top 10 receiver.  Just as an exercise for those who don't, who are the 10 receivers you would take over him?

He doesn't get many looks because we have so many other choices who are better choices than he is.  You don't need to score a ton of touchdowns to be a top receiver in this league in my opinion.

He will learn the body corner like Marvin did so I think that will come into his game.

I feel like he is a top 10 receiver.  Just as an exercise for those who don't, who are the 10 receivers you would take over him?

Well it's more complex then that.  To me TY fits into a stable of WR's and TE's that makes the offense more effective and allows him to make plays in the open field.  Basically having a bunch of different receivers who can compliment each other is better then having individual stars at receiver.

However if you are looking at individual stars for this year only.  (A couple of those guys are on the wrong side of 30 and in that case I'd take TY long term, but for this year only I would take.)

Calvin Johnson

D Thomas

J Jones

AJ Green

J Nelson

A Jeffery

S Watkins

A Johnson

D Bryant

B Marshall

Steve Smith

No they don't have the yardage he does, but most save for D Thomas and J Nelson play for worse QB's.  J Nelson is the only WR who has more yards then TY and D Thomas is hurt some by being surrounded by a lot of talented WR's and TE's.  

But like I said TY fits in well with Wayne, Allen Fleener, NIcks and even to some extent Richardson and Bradshaw that it works really well.  

Well it's more complex then that.  To me TY fits into a stable of WR's and TE's that makes the offense more effective and allows him to make plays in the open field.  Basically having a bunch of different receivers who can compliment each other is better then having individual stars at receiver.

However if you are looking at individual stars for this year only.  (A couple of those guys are on the wrong side of 30 and in that case I'd take TY long term, but for this year only I would take.)

Calvin Johnson

D Thomas

J Jones

AJ Green

J Nelson

A Jeffery

S Watkins

A Johnson

D Bryant

B Marshall

Steve Smith

No they don't have the yardage he does, but most save for D Thomas and J Nelson play for worse QB's.  J Nelson is the only WR who has more yards then TY and D Thomas is hurt some by being surrounded by a lot of talented WR's and TE's.  

But like I said TY fits in well with Wayne, Allen Fleener, NIcks and even to some extent Richardson and Bradshaw that it works really well.  

Not a bad list but Steve Smith?  That's really the only one I question you on.

Not a bad list but Steve Smith?  That's really the only one I question you on.

He's been playing great for the Ravens.  His only bad game was actually against the Colts.  He's kind of iffy, but even without him there is still 10 there.  You could also make arguments for guys like Roddy White too.

Also I should mention that TY's stats are inflated by the fact that Luck is slinging the ball an average of 43 times per game.  Luck has more attempts then anyone else and it isn't even close.  

I mean we really gave up hard on that whole power run game thing.  You see Luck making 40+ attempts on games they where never behind in.