Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the verdict out on Werner yet? (Mega Merge)

superrep1967

His most impressive play last week wasn't either sack. It was a run stop in which he blew by the tackle, put his hand down and changed direction on a dime, and grabbed the back by the legs to make the play. Just a tackle, not even for a loss, but that play showed me the burst, change of direction, acceleration and ability to finish that I wasn't sure he had.

I think the 9lbs he lost from 266 to 257 helped his acceleration(Looks more defined to me) and even agility and of course the early playing time and often helped with his play recognition and seemingly confidence

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best offense in the league, still hate Pep?

Yep, but........ But I will admit he has improved

Still early, but my hate has went down. I can admit when I'm wrong. Season isn't over yet, but he definitely has improved

Still really hate those obvious run formations. Seems like he just refuses to get rid of them. They haven't worked all year.

The jury has asked for more information, they were very close to a verdict a couple of weeks ago, but need to deliberate some more.

Funny how things changed when Coach Mathis showed up in camp????

Coincidence?

I think NOT!

The injury was the good part. Made other guys step up. Now we can look to next year WITH Mathis

Easily the #1 pass rush or at least top 5

Still early, but my hate has went down. I can admit when I'm wrong. Season isn't over yet, but he definitely has improved

Still really hate those obvious run formations. Seems like he just refuses to get rid of them. They haven't worked all year.

I'll admit the play calling isn't perfect. I noted the obvious formation for passing, running, and screen plays this game too. But, you gotta hand it to them for making the deep passing plays work.

Ich brauche jedes Jersey, aber Ich will ein blaues Jersey haben. Ich habe nur ein Manning Jersey. :(

Vielleicht Doyle...

Interestingly the whole story of America almost having German form a vote in 1795 as it's language is a complete Mtyh, you guys actually have no official language. 

Back OT, Werner is coming along nicely this season, and I'm sure I'm not going on a limb to say at least he brings a little more to the coverage game. 

I dont get the hate on Werner, He went up against two of the Leagues BEST Tackles and still played his butt off. Not to mention the Strip Sack to Seal the game.

He did go against a 2nd string in the ravens game.. their starting tackle was out. And a 3rd string in the jaxs game

He did go against a 2nd string in the ravens game.. their starting tackle was out. And a 3rd string in the jaxs game

To that end; Yes, this matters. But he's had numerous near misses, many sack fumbles that were just a breath away. He has developed his technique, which is paramount in this discussion. We aren't seeing him being driven away wide every time like we were. Now, he's diving inside to catch pressure on the QB ALA Mathis. I cannot help but to feel Mathis has had an immeasurable effect on coaching up Werner. 

He has been ReBjorn.

Many people have doubted Bjørn Werner and his performances on field, and the lack of production... but he is playing really good and have started to show why we drafted him so high.

I don´t know about you guys, but I really like how he's playing and believes he can be a future star on our team.

Mathis is gone for the season, and many experts thought we would collapse without him, but as of now, we play better defense than we have done in many years and some of the new guys have shown why "the next man up" thing, really works in Indianapolis.

But whats your take or thoughts about Bjørn Werner and the rest of the D#?

I am a true believer you really need to see at least half a season of someone starting all the games and playing a majority of them to determine if they can do well.  He was a rookie.  Even Harrison shows signs of being a good Center, except for some miscue's on snaps.  But if he continues to start, he will or should get better.  Some people that can't even play football like to determine if someone is good or not.  Most don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

I am pleased with how he is playing.  He will have bad games, Mathis and Freeney had bad games....But he is getting pressure.

Ok, and im talking about last night. He still got pressure against two of the best also came away with a strip sack.

He's playing better, but that sack was made by the secondary and The Beard leaving the pocket. Werner was blocked fairly well, but he made the play when it was presented to him....Can't knock him for that.

To that end; Yes, this matters. But he's had numerous near misses, many sack fumbles that were just a breath away. He has developed his technique, which is paramount in this discussion. We aren't seeing him being driven away wide every time like we were. Now, he's diving inside to catch pressure on the QB ALA Mathis. I cannot help but to feel Mathis has had an immeasurable effect on coaching up Werner.

He has been ReBjorn.

Almost doesnt count.. ive almost done alot of things lol.. the kid has definitely improved.. im just sayin close doesnt count.. i do agree with thinkin that mathis being back may have been a little extra motivation. But i do wanna see more

Almost doesnt count.. ive almost done alot of things lol.. the kid has definitely improved.. im just sayin close doesnt count.. i do agree with thinkin that mathis being back may have been a little extra motivation. But i do wanna see more

Not really the point. I wasn't praising him for "almost" doing something. I was pointing toward an improvement between getting swept out wide and away from the QB and him developing a technique to penetrate inside and get swipes at the QB. It's progress nonetheless. 

Not really the point. I wasn't praising him for "almost" doing something. I was pointing toward an improvement between getting swept out wide and away from the QB and him developing a technique to penetrate inside and get swipes at the QB. It's progress nonetheless.

Progress nonetheless.. cant be mad at progress.

Every team uses obvious run formations. We're not the only ones to do it, and it's totally intentional how obvious they are. The idea is to develop trends, then buck them with explosives.  Get the defense on their toes by running in a particular formation, then go play action off of it. Part of the reason the deep passing game has opened up so much these past 3-4 games is because we're throwing off play action and/or from power formations. Just look at all of TY's big plays from last night and chart how many of them came from 2-3 tight end, condensed formations. Just because a run play doesn't pick up 4-5 yards every carry doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose 

Every team uses obvious run formations. We're not the only ones to do it, and it's totalmainintentional how obvious they are. The idea is to develop trends, then buck them with explosives. Get the defense on their toes by running in a particular formation, then go play action off of it. Part of the reason the deep passing game has opened up so much these past 3-4 games is because we're throwing off play action and/or from power formations. Just look at all of TY's big plays from last night and chart how many of them came from 2-3 tight end, condensed formations. Just because a run play doesn't pick up 4-5 yards every carry doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose

49ers & Seahawks run power sets cause they have the lines & RB's to do it

Why would you run a formation that gets 0 or - yards each time?

2nd & Long and 3rd & long isn't a good thing

That's the problem I have with it. They give is longer yards to go and then it's obvious we're about to pass the ball when it's 3rd & 12

We're just lucky the Texans defensive secondary sucks. DJ being the man one. He's a young Brandon Merriweather. Just got for illegal hits and missed tackles

49ers & Seahawks run power sets cause they have the lines & RB's to do it

Why would you run a formation that gets 0 or - yards each time?

2nd & Long and 3rd & long isn't a good thing

That's the problem I have with it. They give is longer yards to go and then it's obvious we're about to pass the ball when it's 3rd & 12

We're just lucky the Texans defensive secondary sucks. DJ being the man one. He's a young Brandon Merriweather. Just got for illegal hits and missed tackles

I think the problem is Trent and his lack of vision, in terms of the run game. The blocks aren't always there, but they are there enough of the time that he should be doing more with his carries. Bradshaw runs fine out of the power sets. Last night we had 2 backup guards starting and we still ran well for stretches --Yes, even Trent

(He had a couple of 1st down runs in the 3rd quarter that were straight up the gut that gained 9-10 yards) 

Overall, the problem isn't the scheme. I don't mind the power sets because so many of our big plays are coming off play action in those same formations and looks. As ineffective as you feel our run game was last night, we were still able to work play action off of it as well as any team in the league. The predictable runs serve a purpose

• 2 weeks later...