Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is the verdict out on Werner yet? (Mega Merge)

superrep1967

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 1st round draft pick Bejorn Werner isn't getting done at least not yet. My opinion for what it's worth is that he's like a 6 round pick instead of a 1st! What does everyone else think?

I believe he's a miss and I hope I'm wrong but IMO he just isn't paining out. 

IMO, you are correct that Werner as a 1st round pick is a bust.  That is on Grigson.

IMO, the verdict is still out on how good Werner will be.  He is transitioning from 4/3 DE to 3/4 OLB.  He has shown flashes that he is getting the concepts needed to play that position.  This is his 3rd season and looks to be a season where he will be getting the starts due to injury.

Let's wait till the end of the season to see how he played and decide then.

IMO, you are correct that Werner as a 1st round pick is a bust. That is on Grigson.

IMO, the verdict is still out on how good Werner will be. He is transitioning from 4/3 DE to 3/4 OLB. He has shown flashes that he is getting the concepts needed to play that position. This is his 3rd season and looks to be a season where he will be getting the starts due to injury.

Let's wait till the end of the season to see how he played and decide then.

It's his second season. His only played two games into his second season at that.

For the record,  I think the OP actually meant.....

Is the Verdict in on Werner yet?

Otherwise,  it doesn't make sense....

Either way,  people here seemed to get it.

As for the answer,  NO,  the verdict is not in yet.    It is still out and will be until the end of the season --- at least!

These things take time..........

Werner confuses me. 

One play, he will chase a running back fifteen yards across the width of the field to make a tackle, and the next he'll get locked up by a marginal Jaguars O-Line.

Is Werner good? Not really

Does he hustle? Yes.

Who is he? Jerry Hughes 2.0- waste of a first round draft pick.

Grigson missed on him.  Werner is a solid strong side LB but he can't replace Mathis.  I would like to see Grigson stop trying to find that diamond in the rough who's undersized, playing in Canada, playing rugby, etc.  Go get a a stud with all the measurables. I see too many defenses being built on young, classic athletes - Cincy, AZ, Seattle, SF, Balt, etc.

The verdict is OUT on Werner. Not in,  yet. But he has a lot of work to do before anyone has reason to get excited about him.

It seemed during the Jax game that he and Walden switched roles, Werner was dropping back in coverage a lot more and setting the edge more.  Then he had a nice strip sack and safety that was negated by a penalty.

I am trying to hold my judgement on Werner because we are asking him to transition to a new position.  We drafted a guy who was a great 4-3 DE in college and now are expecting big things from him as an OLB.  Sometimes guys take longer to transition than others.  It was disappointing to see him not get some today against the Jags.  I was really hoping to see Werner have a nice break out game against the putrid Jags OL.  

The problem is we are getting a bit impatient because Mathis has gone down for the year and Werner is the heir apparent and we are not seeing much from him.  

I am not ready to call him a bust, but if we are seeing a lack of production from near playoff time it might be time to worry.

Still watching and waiting on Werner. Walden on the other hand is on pace to have 10-16 sacks this year if he continues his pass rush improvement.  I think Werner is playing hard and will eventually have a couple good sack games.  He should have had 2 sacks in the Jacksonville game.  One on Bortles in the end zone, and one on that Bortles bootleg where Bortles basically ran right into Werner and turned back around for the escape.  Many other quarterbacks would have hit the deck in that situation.  Credit to Bortles.

Grigson missed on him.  Werner is a solid strong side LB but he can't replace Mathis.  I would like to see Grigson stop trying to find that diamond in the rough who's undersized, playing in Canada, playing rugby, etc.  Go get a a stud with all the measurables. I see too many defenses being built on young, classic athletes - Cincy, AZ, Seattle, SF, Balt, etc.

I'm not too sure I agree that these other teams are all using great prospects. Richard Sherman was a converted wide receiver that dropped to the sixth round and his own coach in college (Harbaugh) when asked, said negative things. Cincy's two best defensive players are Geno Atkins (considered undersized at the time) and Vontaze Burfict (considered slow and had severe attitude problems). Look at SF, their star pass rusher (Aldon Smith) was considered a tweener and wasn't thought to be a good scheme match. Most defenses aren't centered around perfect prospects but rather capitalize upon the selected players strengths which unfortunately we can't do with Werner because he is the only legitimate rush we have.

Werner is awful.. he played against the WORST offensive line in the leauge didnt get a sack. HE HAD ONE TACKLE! Play the whole game and you have one tackle. You guys can say he shouldve had this he should've had this. Fact of the matter is he almost played ever defensive snap and had 0 sacks and one tackle against the worst team in the league.. dude is garbage

Werner is awful.. he played against the WORST offensive line in the leauge didnt get a sack. HE HAD ONE TACKLE! Play the whole game and you have one tackle. You guys can say he shouldve had this he should've had this. Fact of the matter is he almost played ever defensive snap and had 0 sacks and one tackle against the worst team in the league.. dude is garbage

1. Its one game and he's only in his second season. 2. He made a great inside move, sacked and stripped the ball in the endzone and it would have been a safety except Davis got called for a stupid illegal contact penalty that had no real effect on the play but gave the Jags the ball back.

Its only one game against the worst team in the league.. if he cant do more that one tackle against the worst team what makes you think he can do anything against a good team. In three weeks hes been a no show. When safetys are gettin sacks and our so called best pass rusher cant get one. Its pathetic. Hes got 6 tackles in 3 games. Its his second year i know blah blah blah. Thing is he was a first round pick. First round picks are someone who can come in a make an immediate impact. He has been anything but first round quality.

Its only one game against the worst team in the league.. if he cant do more that one tackle against the worst team what makes you think he can do anything against a good team. In three weeks hes been a no show. When safetys are gettin sacks and our so called best pass rusher cant get one. Its pathetic. Hes got 6 tackles in 3 games. Its his second year i know blah blah blah. Thing is he was a first round pick. First round picks are someone who can come in a make an immediate impact. He has been anything but first round quality.

Calling the Jaguars the worst team in the league is strictly your opinion. Two of the three teams he has played thus far have top five left tackles. Not every first round pick makes an immediate impact and I refuse to believe the staff thinks he is a bust or wishes to trade him. He has now officially played 16 games, a whole season's worth. Give him some time

Calling the jaguars the worst team in the league is not an opinion. Statistics say they are the worst.. 32nd in running and 32nd in passing.. those are facts not opinions. Offensive line has let up the most sacks. Once again not an opinion, strictly facts.. ok hes played 16 games. He has 25 tackles and 3 sacks. Not good numbers. And yeah 1st round picks dont always make an impact... theyre called bust

It seemed during the Jax game that he and Walden switched roles, Werner was dropping back in coverage a lot more and setting the edge more.  Then he had a nice strip sack and safety that was negated by a penalty.

It's hard to understand so far, because Werner is still on the weakside most plays, and Walden on the strongside. But I guess they figure they'll get Walden against TEs and see if the line adjusts their protections to account for him, because he's getting decent pressure so far.

As for Werner's strip sack safety, I've been rewatching that play. Two things, he completely abused his man. Second, I can't imagine how there could possibly have been a penalty on any DB on that play. They are all playing off, and Werner is on the QB in a second. Once he makes contact, there's no possibility for holding, because the QB doesn't have the ball anymore. I'm waiting for the coaches' film to get a better look, but I can't understand that call. 

Calling the jaguars the worst team in the league is not an opinion. Statistics say they are the worst.. 32nd in running and 32nd in passing.. those are facts not opinions. Offensive line has let up the most sacks. Once again not an opinion, strictly facts.. ok hes played 16 games. He has 25 tackles and 3 sacks. Not good numbers. And yeah 1st round picks dont always make an impact... theyre called bust

You are what your record says you are. The Colts aren't any better or worse than the Rams because that's what our record says. Similarly, the Jaguars are no worse than the Raiders or Bucs. I also see you have mastered selective reading as I said immediate impact. History is littered with players that went on to have good to great careers after subpar rookie seasons.

You are what your record says you are. The Colts aren't any better or worse than the Rams because that's what our record says. Similarly, the Jaguars are no worse than the Raiders or Bucs. I also see you have mastered selective reading as I said immediate impact. History is littered with players that went on to have good to great careers after subpar rookie seasons.

People really took what Parcells said in a press conference way too seriously.

Werner is one of the best players in the league at not finishing plays, LaRon is up there too. Can't tell you how many times it looks like Werner will get a sack then completely fails. 

Sadly, I have to agree with this statement.  I'd love to be proven wrong and that maybe I just notice it more when it's Werner.

People really took what Parcells said in a press conference way too seriously.

Its simplisticly true though. To win the superbowl you have to make then playoffs and to do that your record has to say youre a top six team in your conference. When the playoffs start, it doesn't matter how talented your team is, its did you have a good enough record to make the playoffs.