Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PHI @ IND Post-game discussion: miscellaneous (including reffing)

21isSuperman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the worst officiating I have seen in a Colts game since the Bengals one last year. Goodness gracious, how many calls will they miss? Maybe the football ref gods can gift us a few next week against Jacksonville, because this team is VERY mad, and they're going to take it out on Jacksonville.

The Colts were in position to go up 10 points at the very least when the refs missed a clear illegal contact or holding, or PI call that lead to turnover.  Then two plays later they gave the Eagles a free 15 yards on a play that should have been a loss to make it a long yardage situation on the drive that tied the game.  There is no denying they impacted the out come of the game.

As I said before it doesn't mean there aren't other factors too but there is no denying they impacted the game big time tonight. 

Did you watch the game? YOU RUN THE BALL ON 3rd and 9... DONT THROW IT... Kick the field goal an win.

DO NOT BLAME THIS ON THE REFS. The colts coaching needs to be reprimanded and I can ONLY pray, someone else takes Pep or we let him go at the end of the season. This game disgusted me... And if coached well we would have won.

BTW... T Rich was KEY tonight... Key for the Eagles. He is going to get benched the second season in a row to ahmad and maybe, maybe Grigs can speak up for his nonsense decision.

So you are saying it is the Colts responsibility to play against both the other team and the referees to win?  And if they don't play well enough to make up for bad calls then they deserve to lose?  Blame the victim?

Did the eagles tie up the game from 20-6 before that no call or after that no call?? Yea well like I said it stinks the refs got us there for sure but to say that it cost us the game is wrong. We let them march down the field like on so many other series and that's what cost us the game. The pick was not a pick 6.

So you are saying it is the Colts responsibility to play against both the other team and the referees to win?  And if they don't play well enough to make up for bad calls then they deserve to lose?  Blame the victim?

ya thats nonsense.  NFL is a game of inches where anyone can beat anyone.  Every call that could have went either way went PHI's way.  Whether it was Davis getting a 40 yard PI for hooking the guys are that was pushing off of him, their DB pulling TY back, or their DB grabbing our WRs arm from behind after being burnt down the sideline, they got every judgement call.... 

IMO, this was a rare example of poor officiating (at a crucial point in the game) completely changing the momentum of a game - and ultimately playing a huge role in the outcome.  The most maddening thing about the pass interference no-call is how that was supposed to be a point of emphasis. In order here's what determined our fate:

1. incompetent officiating

2. Richardson's fumble

3. failure to contain Sproles

IMO, this was a rare example of poor officiating (at a crucial point in the game) completely changing the momentum of a game - and ultimately playing a huge role in the outcome.  The most maddening thing about the pass interference no-call is how that was supposed to be a point of emphasis. In order here's what determined our fate:

1. incompetent officiating

2. Richardson's fumble

3. failure to contain Sproles

Yup. I don't know why it's taboo to blame the refs.   

They clearly cost us this game.  

"We had our opportunities"= Give me a break. You can't score on every possession.  

There's no accountability in the refereeing in the NFL. It's sad.

Yup. I don't know why it's taboo to blame the refs.   

They clearly cost us this game.  

"We had our opportunities"= Give me a break. You can't score on every possession.  

There's no accountability in the refereeing in the NFL. It's sad.

I do for the most part agree on the no accountability and I sure hope at some point that is resolved in the near future.

Did the eagles tie up the game from 20-6 before that no call or after that no call?? Yea well like I said it stinks the refs got us there for sure but to say that it cost us the game is wrong. We let them march down the field like on so many other series and that's what cost us the game. The pick was not a pick 6.

Well, the way I look at it is no one said you had to win by anymore than one.  So it didn't matter how many points the colts gave up as long as they still had the lead.  It may have not been a pick six, but according to AV career percentages it would have been a field goal and less time on the clock.  But when officiating starts making calls that lead to giving and taking points, then how do you game plan for that?  Do you tell the team that they will be spotting the other team points so you need to lead by eight because the officials will decide to award a touchdown to the other team?  But by your point of view if the Colts didn't deserve to win because their defense couldn't overcome both the Eagles offense and the officials.

We played bad at the end guys, but our D was gassed and the momentum shifted after the missed PI/Illegal Contact and the blown horse collar.  

We should have won, but oh well. It's over now. Just hope the refs are reprimanded.  

Now we just have to win one we weren't supposed to.

Did you watch the game? YOU RUN THE BALL ON 3rd and 9... DONT THROW IT... Kick the field goal an win.

DO NOT BLAME THIS ON THE REFS. The colts coaching needs to be reprimanded and I can ONLY pray, someone else takes Pep or we let him go at the end of the season. This game disgusted me... And if coached well we would have won.

BTW... T Rich was KEY tonight... Key for the Eagles. He is going to get benched the second season in a row to ahmad and maybe, maybe Grigs can speak up for his nonsense decision.

I've made two posts saying other factors factored in in this thread including one that said questionable play calling at the end of the game were a factor in why the Colts lost. So if you are going to question if I watched the game I question if you read my posts or just wanted to go off?

Also, rather the Colts should have ran or not doesn't change the fact they were horrible no calls and those no calls did factor into the outcome of the game.

This is the worst officiating I have seen in a Colts game since the Bengals one last year. Goodness gracious, how many calls will they miss? Maybe the football ref gods can gift us a few next week against Jacksonville, because this team is VERY mad, and they're going to take it out on Jacksonville.

Agree with everything except the worst officiating part.  There were two horrible calls in our last game that extended drives and resulted in 14 pts.

Cant believe nobody is mentioning the offensive pass interference on Cooper that was called on Davis.  That play combined with two horrible late calls ensured a close game in what should have been no contest. 

It looks like NFL refs are developing the same audacity as their NBA counterparts.

Agree with everything except the worst officiating part. There were two horrible calls in our last game that extended drives and resulted in 14 pts.

Cant believe nobody is mentioning the offensive pass interference on Cooper that was called on Davis. That play combined with two horrible late calls ensured a close game in what should have been no contest.

It looks like NFL refs are developing the same audacity as their NBA counterparts.

It needs to be reviewable if the rule is in place. They miss it all the time and in this case it really cost the Colts.

The rushing attack, and CB play, were the only positives from this game

1-Andrew looked terrible, his accuracy is really off (last week too) He still looks down the receiver and makes a couple of really stupid throws every game. I don't know if he's hurt, or what the reason is, but he seems to have regressed.

2-Pass rush is non-existent. if you can't put pressure on the Eagles tonight, you can't put pressure on any team. Eagles line is in shambles and have a non-mobile QB and we bring no pass-rush. The defense has no chance of competing in the NFL with no pass-rush.

3-Landry, doesn't know how to take the right angles when attacking the ball carrier. Hard to imaging a starting safety in the NFL that is as bad as Landry. Hard to imaging that Colt Anderson S. Brown or even MacDonald, could be as bad as Landry is playing, he brings nothing to this team.

4-Coaching, our coaching staff will never out coach, anybody

5-Trent plays hard, but has no explosion, no lateral quickness, no vision or mental toughness. He can only get you yards when the hole is there, has no ability to create yards on his own. I don't care what he ran at the combine, he is slow and looks like he has cement shoes on, no burst at all.

I enjoyed those offset counter run plays quite a bit.  Pep took a page out of Alabamas' play book with those to me.

I've seen Alabama run those a lot as one of their staples especially when Saban first became the coach, and no one could stop it even when they knew it was coming. I kept saying we need a couple staple running plays, things that are our signature because we do them well. Now we just have to continue to develop the run game, and the passing plays we do off those runs to get chunk plays as well as easy first downs.  I think Spider 2 Y Banana is a killer thing to do off those counter plays  to get easy first downs for example.

The rushing attack, and CB play, were the only positives from this game1-Andrew looked terrible, his accuracy is really off (last week too) He still looks down the receiver and makes a couple of really stupid throws every game. I don't know if he's hurt, or what the reason is, but he seems to have regressed.2-Pass rush is non-existent. if you can't put pressure on the Eagles tonight, you can't put pressure on any team. Eagles line is in shambles and have a non-mobile QB and we bring no pass-rush. The defense has no chance of competing in the NFL with no pass-rush.3-Landry, doesn't know how to take the right angles when attacking the ball carrier. Hard to imaging a starting safety in the NFL that is as bad as Landry. Hard to imaging that Colt Anderson S. Brown or even MacDonald, could be as bad as Landry is playing, he brings nothing to this team.4-Coaching, our coaching staff will never out coach, anybody5-Trent plays hard, but has no explosion, no lateral quickness, no vision or mental toughness. He can only get you yards when the hole is there, has no ability to create yards on his own. I don't care what he ran at the combine, he is slow and looks like he has cement shoes on, no burst at all.

run d in short yardage was really good too. Jackson made a couple of really nice run stuffs which is what he was brought here to do.

I enjoyed those offset counter run plays quite a bit.  Pep took a page out of Alabamas' play book with those to me.

I've seen Alabama run those a lot as one of their staples especially when Saban first became the coach, and no one could stop it even when they knew it was coming. I kept saying we need a couple staple running plays, things that are our signature because we do them well. Now we just have to continue to develop the run game, and the passing plays we do off those runs to get chunk plays as well as easy first downs.  I think Spider 2 Y Banana is a killer thing to do off those counter plays  to get easy first downs for example.

I completely agree!  It sure was nice to see the Colts completely dominating the game physically for a change.

Colt's run D up the middle looks really good though. Philly could  not run it up the gut. But it seems as if it wasn't just Julius Thomas; we really can't cover TE's. It's ridiculous. We are going to have to get either a safety or ILB capable of covering TE's because its our weakness on D. Sproles was ripping the back end of the D for huge gains.

Sorry to sound like a whiner but it's true. I'll be the first one to admit that our coaching and play calling was awful especially at the end of the game but the fact of the matter is that with so much on the line the refs pretty well gave Philly 10 points.

The no call on the defensive holding that caused the interception is mind boggling considering the tacky tack nature of the pass interference calls so far this year. Even Tirico and Gruden couldn't believe there was no call. Then they blow the call on the horse collar tackle which turns a 3 yard loss into a 15 yard gain and a 1st down.

It's really hard to swallow how the referees are now impacting the outcome of games. THe NFL has done it to itself. Too many things reviewable, too many things outlawed, and yet judgment calls are not reproachable. It's getting harder n harder for me to watch the pro game.

Get off the refs.  Luck's pick late in the 4th Q was not the ref's fault. Luck was locking onto receivers all night.  That was a tight window he was throwing into when a FG makes it a two possession game.  make the safer throw and take the FG.

We simply left too many plays on the field.  

Get off the refs.  Luck's pick late in the 4th Q was not the ref's fault. Luck was locking onto receivers all night.  That was a tight window he was throwing into when a FG makes it a two possession game.  make the safer throw and take the FG.

I don't blame the refs for the loss but for you to say get off the refs is wrong. Fans have a right to complain when obvious mistakes are made. That was defensive holding and a bogus horse collar no matter what your opinion is.

we should have never thrown in that situation.  run ball, kick field goal, up by 10.  (Luck telegraphs most of his throws - who is his qb coach? - Christianson I believe - he needs to help Luck with that)

I'll agree with you to a certain extent but I think if we had a replay of that play I think the window wasn't all that tight. The receiver, I think it was TY, was turning to his left or cutting back outside and the defender grabbed him causing him to fall. The interception was made by a DB that was at the next level. The ball looked like it was thrown right to him but but upon further review you could see that the receiver was held up and fell thus vacating the area where the ball was thrown to so it looked to me like it was single coverage not receive who was double covered.

My gripe with it is this, if they are now calling PI, when DB's are handfighting down field then this was obvious PI, Holding or what have you cuz the defender grabbed him and made him fall down. Please, NFL, fix this problem. Either let the contact go or stop calling the tacky tack crap 30 yards downfield that give teams a spot penalty and first downs. In my opinion the NFL needs to go to a system where the penalty is a tiered system much like facemasking used to be.

The refs need to decide of they are going to let them play or call all the ticky tack stuff.  Additionally, since all TOs are reviewed they should expand the review to include if there was a penalty that lead to the TO as in the case of Hilton... had he not been thrown to the ground that would not have been an INT.

And the call on Landry was ridiculous and instead of setting up a 3rd and 8 (it look to be a loss of a couple of yards) at the 26, it's first and 10 at the 43.

I'll agree with you to a certain extent but I think if we had a replay of that play I think the window wasn't all that tight. The receiver, I think it was TY, was turning to his left or cutting back outside and the defender grabbed him causing him to fall. The interception was made by a DB that was at the next level. The ball looked like it was thrown right to him but but upon further review you could see that the receiver was held up and fell thus vacating the area where the ball was thrown to so it looked to me like it was single coverage not receive who was double covered.

My gripe with it is this, if they are now calling PI, when DB's are handfighting down field then this was obvious PI, Holding or what have you cuz the defender grabbed him and made him fall down. Please, NFL, fix this problem. Either let the contact go or stop calling the tacky tack crap 30 yards downfield that give teams a spot penalty and first downs. In my opinion the NFL needs to go to a system where the penalty is a tiered system much like facemasking used to be.

Yes, there is a lack of consistency with whats a penalty and what is not.

You're righ Luck locked into TY and the DB at the next level was either intercepting that pass or was going to blow up TY.

Yes, there is a lack of consistency with whats a penalty and what is not.

You're righ Luck locked into TY and the DB at the next level was either intercepting that pass or was going to blow up TY.

Not sure about your "locking on" to receivers. From what i see every 2 out of 3 times that luck drops back he's getting pressured very quickly. Conversely we r unable to pressure the qb. It could be a very long year gents. Have admitted that we have trouble protecting luck and pressuring anyone else's qb we should still be 1-1 and really had a chance to be 2-0

Not sure about your "locking on" to receivers. From what i see every 2 out of 3 times that luck drops back he's getting pressured very quickly. Conversely we r unable to pressure the qb. It could be a very long year gents. Have admitted that we have trouble protecting luck and pressuring anyone else's qb we should still be 1-1 and really had a chance to be 2-0

That is not true.    I know this goes against popular opinion on this board but the line did a good job last night.  They had some miscues but they allowed no sacks and I counted 5 QB hurries, NFL has three.

I think the problem is the scheme, the olineman are doing their job but the scheme leaves guys unaccounted for on delayed blitzes and stunts.

The fact remains that the Eagles spanked  us in our stadium.  Luck is at best a mediocre QB - Good QBs find a way to win, and the Eagles D stopped Luck!  There were several holding calls against the Eagles that were not called, but typically it's the looser's that whine!  Come on Colts fans: we lost and let's get them next week.  The Eagles are a super bowl team while the Colts are going to struggle to make the playoffs!