Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss [Merge]

CR91

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazill, Rogers, Whalen... two of those three are gone. 

They should keep Brazill; most productive of the three. No room for Rogers or Whalen going forward (here come the Rogers lovers).

Don't understand this pick. We already have a pretty deep receiving corps and really didn't need a receiver this year. Took a look at the draft reports and this guy sounds like another DHB. Big, fast, so-so hands, catches ball with his body, doesn't play up to his measurable. Most think he could just as readily be bust as a boom guy. A lot of ifs surround Mr. Moncrief. Third round looks like for a reach for a position we didn't need to address. So far not impressed with this draft.

Hopefully we will look at some DB, OL and pass rushing help tomorrow.

Don't understand this pick. We already have a pretty deep receiving corps and really didn't need a receiver this year. Took a look at the draft reports and this guy sounds like another DHB. Big, fast, so-so hands, catches ball with his body, doesn't play up to his measurable. Most think he could just as readily be bust as a boom guy. A lot of ifs surround Mr. Moncrief. Third round looks like for a reach for a position we didn't need to address. So far not impressed with this draft.

Lol he's nothing like DHB.

IMO, the Moncrief pick wasn't really about this year, it's about next year and beyond.  I, for one, am happy we drafted a WR (I wanted Landry, but c'est la vie).  Reggie isn't going to be around forever and Nicks is using us as an audition.  Moncrief can use this year to learn and get ready for an expanded role in 2015.  

At least, that's how I see it.  We still need a safety, but for the value, I'm happy.

Welcome to the 'shoe Donte!

Dang.......decided to stop in and see things. Same ole.

Took a player too early = I actually dont know a players value

Took a player too early = I listen to media opinions who also dont know a players value

Should have taken a player of need = I think about now, the front office thinks long term

Everybody in the front office should be fired = I should just shut up

Our new OL pick is a future fixture on this oline. For those who appreciate a great oline, majorly sexy pick.

Our new WR pick? 11'2" standing BJ? Feel free to measure that out and look at it. Athletic freak. Awesome pick.

Looked at 5 scouting reports and they were all pretty consistent. Big, potentially talented with great speed who doesn't play up to the measurables. Catches ball with body, average hands, drops a fair number of catches. I have never seen him play so I am relying on those who have. At any rate I'm not seeing the need for a WR. We need DBs, OL depth and maybe some DL help or a pass rusher. Maybe we will draft a QB or RB next.

People will complain about another WR, but we should remember Reggie is not under contract after the upcoming season, and Hakeem is on a one year rental. If Hakeem plays like he can we likely can afford him, so Moncrief can step in and form a trio with TY and Rogers. Brazill and Whalen are easily replaceable.

This is clearly BPA. Did you see how fast we turned in the pick and the people in the war room started celebrating? Grigson and co. likely consider Moncrief a steal at this point. And Moncrief has the potential to be a number 1 receiver.

Agree 100%

Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, T.Y. Hilton, and Donte Moncrief are our top 4 WR's, damn we are stacked

And then you add Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener to the mix along with an improved OLine!

DYNOMITE................

Just watched his highlights, the fact that he didn't catch a ball until almost 30 seconds into a two minute official highlight package was telling.

I saw two hands catches and all the rest body catches.

As of now I am very meh on the pick.

I like all 5 of our current receivers better than this so far.

What’s not to like about a player who finished his college career ranked third in school history in receptions (156), receiving yards (2,371) and receiving touchdowns (20) and second in 100-yard receiving games (nine)? 

The thing about Moncrief is that he really is a Jack of all trades at receiver. He can sprint past players with his legitimate 4.4 speed, he can jump out of the gym with those powerful legs, and he’s incredibly athletic. He’ll make the tough catches over the middle because he’s built for contact, and he’ll stretch the field for the deep ball. He’s durable and also has that menacing 6-2, 220-pound frame that will help him battle more physical corners. 

Moncrief has what it takes to be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL on Day 1, and I think that with all the physical tools he has, he’ll be a great player for a very long time. He’s also incredibly coachable, had no off-field issues while at Ole Miss, and has a great work ethic. He will be an absolute steal in this draft. 

I don't much see the point in grabbing all of these receivers via free agency and draft when we have a head coach who doesn't even want to throw the football. Seems like he's got talent, I just think we had more pressing needs

Hmmm... lets see!

DHB = Draft REACH

Moncrief  = Draft STEAL

Most RECs in a NCAA season(DHB) = 51

Most RECs in a NCAA season(Moncrief) = 66

Most YDs in a NCAA season(DHB) = 786

Most YDs in a NCAA season(Moncrief) = 979

TDs(DHB) = 13

TDs(Moncrief) = 20

I love all the weaponry at WR because it also effects the way teams will play us in the running game.  They will certainly have to honor the threat of the pass.  This will open up the run game quite a bit..

Absolutely love the pick.

Still absolutely horrified about what we do at Safety. And that's not a knock on this draft at all. I'm not sure where we were picking that we could have found that new safety.

Nonetheless, I still can't help but wonder what the hell we're going to do there.

They should keep Brazill; most productive of the three. No room for Rogers or Whalen going forward (here come the Rogers lovers).

It is unlikely that Rogers is going anywhere...he has been a solid citizen so far and is working hard to learn the offense.

Brazill is the one who lapsed into substance abuse last off-season and incurred a suspension.

So far, Rogers is the keeper in that group.

Really?

2013:

Brazill: played in 10 games (0 starts)...12 catches for 161 yards with 2  TD

Rogers: played in 5 games (3 starts)....14 catches for 192 yards with 2 TD

Whalen: played in 9 games (3 starts)....24 catches for 259 yards with 2 TD

I don't much see the point in grabbing all of these receivers via free agency and draft when we have a head coach who doesn't even want to throw the football. Seems like he's got talent, I just think we had more pressing needs

And you got this from.....where?

Really?

2013:

Brazill: played in 10 games (0 starts)...12 catches for 161 yards with 2  TD

Rogers: played in 5 games (3 starts)....14 catches for 192 yards with 2 TD

Whalen: played in 9 games (3 starts)....24 catches for 259 yards with 2 TD

Well when you put it that way...