Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What free agent did we miss out on?

Superman

Of course not. The team doesn't come out and name everyone they were interested in. But leading up to free agency, there were reports suggesting very strongly that the Colts were interested. One of those was fueled by Vasquez's agent.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/25/Chargers-draft-free-agency/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/08/louis-vasquez-wants-to-explore-every-option/

It's impossible to know what's true and what's made up. But we did hire Jimmy Raye III from the Chargers, so the link makes sense.

Of course the agent will say that, he is trying to build some leverage, but who knows I feel Donald was the target all along

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the agent will say that, he is trying to build some leverage, but who knows I feel Donald was the target all along

It's possible we targeted both. It's also possible that we didn't want to pay Vasquez $6m/year when we could get Thomas for $4m/year. Makes sense.

As for the agent, he didn't just say that there were a lot of teams interested. He singled the Colts out, which is pretty bold. I don't know if he did that because it made sense, given that we had hired Raye. That's not that wild of an idea.

But I think every team that's active in free agency targets a player or two that decides to sign elsewhere. No reason to assume the Colts are immune to that.

Of course not. The team doesn't come out and name everyone they were interested in. But leading up to free agency, there were reports suggesting very strongly that the Colts were interested. One of those was fueled by Vasquez's agent.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/25/Chargers-draft-free-agency/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/08/louis-vasquez-wants-to-explore-every-option/

It's impossible to know what's true and what's made up. But we did hire Jimmy Raye III from the Chargers, so the link makes sense.

I thought I remembered Vaquez saying he didn't even speak with the Colts. I could be mistaken, there was so much misinformation during the free agency period I couldn't keep it straight.

yea that was at fa period right? I know but he is still playing pretty good. And the original post was who you liked and kinda would still like him on the colts after this games.

Yeah I'm not arguing. Just saying I understand if the front office wrote him off.

Most of us wanted Vasquez but after Cherilus was signed i knew Grigson wasn't gonna sign him because it would be so much money tied up into the o-line with other needs on the team. The dilemma was Grigson over paid for RJF and Walden when he should have signed Knighton and just started Moala or Guy. I wanted Sean Smith we had the money to sign him but went after Toler instead who's been injury prone over his career.

It's Tuesday. The Colts played five days ago, and don't play for another five days. All ESPN wants to talk about is the Patriots not getting the PI call. What do you think?

Yeah, tons of conjecture. But I like to look back and think about what could have been or could not have been. Welker is a stretch, and because of the guys we had he didn't make sense. But it's different than the RB situation. We did sign a cheap back, and we lost him along with the projected starter, in the span of a couple weeks. We had depth already, and it's been devastated with the injuries.

We were never deep at receiver. I liked the guys we had to begin with, but we always knew that we didn't have depth behind the starters. Add to that the fact that DHB hasn't played well, and we're really kind of sad at receiver.

I hear ya. The only thing I hate more than the Colts playing on Thursday is their bye week. Anyway ... Ok I'll play . I think it would have been a possibility to sign two guards , so I'll agree with you on your guy. As far as Welker , he was just not (IMO) a good fit . If anything , we needed a bigger target like DHB rather than a small guy like Welker. Who would have figured that DHB would really be Darrius Heyward - Bey.

If he's only missed 3 games,  then in the games he's been eligible I don't get the sense that he's played very much.   I look for him all the time and I just don't see him on the field much.

I'd love to know how many snaps a game he's getting and how many of those are things like blocking for a field goal?

Again,  just thinking out loud....

He comes out on passing downs, but from what ive seen besides that and a few "breathers" hes been in there. Remember hes a NT, their job is to do all the dirty work and let someone else take the credit for the play

Louis Vasquez for FA.

In the draft (since we still needed interior line after FA signings).. was hoping for a trade out of the first round for high-to-mid 2nd and 3rd and going RG/WR  (or Dominic Hopkins in the 1st if there was no trade).   If trading out of first, my hope was for  Kyle Long or Larry Warford at RG -- and -- Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, or Hopkins at WR.   The reason for a WR in last years draft would be to allow for growth during Reggie's last 2 years and stepping into his spot when he retires.

Turns out Kyle Long went much higher than expected, but wouldn't he look nice at RG for us.   In hindsight, Warford/Allen would have been a nice possibility in a trade down scenario or Hopkins in the first.

He comes out on passing downs, but from what ive seen besides that and a few "breathers" hes been in there. Remember hes a NT, their job is to do all the dirty work and let someone else take the credit for the play

You may be right....   but every time I look for Chapman, the player I end up seeing is Franklin....

Slauson ... He's one of the best guards in the league this year and was sitting there for the taking after Vasquez and Levitre were long gone; for about the same price as McGlynn.

Well, there is always next year, as I believe he only signed a one year deal. Not sure why Slauson garnered little interest on the FA market.

Mike Wallace, really?

Sure he hasn't been an all-star with miami, but he's better than Brazill, DHB, Whalen, and Reed. I'm not saying we should have signed him to the contract he got, but having him might have made the Wayne injury a hurt less impacting. He looked good for the Steelers. Maybe he was a system player. I just hate that we were so unprepared for losing Reggie. I guess maybe what I'm saying is that we didn't really "miss out on him", but rather he would have been nice to have.

Sure he hasn't been an all-star with miami, but he's better than Brazill, DHB, Whalen, and Reed. I'm not saying we should have signed him to the contract he got, but having him might have made the Wayne injury a hurt less impacting. He looked good for the Steelers. Maybe he was a system player. I just hate that we were so unprepared for losing Reggie. I guess maybe what I'm saying is that we didn't really "miss out on him", but rather he would have been nice to have.

dude quit when he got that contract. He gives up all the time if the play isn't designed for him and rarely fights for the ball. 

maybe that's how he was when he was in Pitt? Not sure, but he's arguably the biggest FA bust this season.

dude quit when he got that contract. He gives up all the time if the play isn't designed for him and rarely fights for the ball. 

maybe that's how he was when he was in Pitt? Not sure, but he's arguably the biggest FA bust this season.

Could be a culture thing, too. Reggie wouldn't let that happen here.

Yup. And given the $12m/year that he signed for, no way would I have wanted him. I expected him to get $10m/year, and LOL'd at that. He's a talented speedster, but he's not a very polished receiver, not a #1 who can carry your receiving attack, and he's not worth the money he got. That's before you consider how he spent the last two years in Pittsburgh complaining about his contract (complaints were justified, but that's a red flag for me). No way I would have touched Wallace with a $12m/year pole.

Mine would be Cliff Avril I wanted him bad.

The contract he eventually signed for was shocking. He was originally supposedly asking for $12m/year, over five years. Signed for half of that, for just two years. I would have liked his pass rushing, but he's not a good fit for OLB in our defense because he won't play disciplined against the run. With Mathis already at Rush backer, there's no real room for Avril. 

Most of us wanted Vasquez but after Cherilus was signed i knew Grigson wasn't gonna sign him because it would be so much money tied up into the o-line with other needs on the team. The dilemma was Grigson over paid for RJF and Walden when he should have signed Knighton and just started Moala or Guy. I wanted Sean Smith we had the money to sign him but went after Toler instead who's been injury prone over his career.

I think RJF has played well and Walden has been earning that money the last few weeks.

For all I read about how interested we were in Louis Vasquez, we clearly made a mistake in not signing him. Donald Thomas was a great signing, just unfortunate he got injured. Signing both of these guys would have really solidified the interior of the line and we could have drafted other positions in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft.

As an aside, it is clear we really missed out on David Bahktiari by taking Hugh Thornton instead in the 3rd round.

Also, I would rather have Donnie Avery than Heyward-Bey. No player is worth the money Mike Wallace got from Miami, but a better WR option would have been good.

I think another one that might Have been a better pick up in the third round is Brian Shwenke. But time will tell as Thornton has been alright. To me our weal link is by far and away the Center position. When McGlynn comes in for Satele it's like a whole new line. I really hope they cut ties with him and Holmes can come in and anchor this line.

We needed someone like Jeff Saturday to convince Vasquez to sign with us.  Obviously, his mind was already made up.  Would have been great though.

Despite our annual Curse of Season Ending Injuries, these guys have been just good enough to stay out of Luck's way and win a lot of games.