Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnathan Martin To The Colts? [Merge]

MrNLM

If this is a repost feel free to discard this mods.

Let it be known that I have no horse in this race but for conversation's sake... IF the Colts wanted to bring in Martin IF he is done with he Dolphins... could he be serviceable  as a Gaurd/backup Tackle?

We know Olinemen move all over the formation so why not consider this?

Aren't we in need of an upgrade at gaurd... RG specifically?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is a repost feel free to discard this mods.

Let it be known that I have no horse in this race but for conversation's sake... IF the Colts wanted to bring in Martin IF he is done with he Dolphins... could he be serviceable  as a Gaurd/backup Tackle?

We know Olinemen move all over the formation so why not consider this?

Aren't we in need of an upgrade at gaurd... RG specifically?

he would be an upgrade as a backup Tackle pass blocking wise, run blocking I dont think so

• 2 weeks later...

NFL network said yesterday 11-15-13 if Martin decides to play again with another team the Colts may be a candidate. I know zero about this guy but I don't want controversy, bad or good. Concentrate on playing football and that is all. Win, win, win and watch soap operas in the spring time.  

I dont see why he couldnt be a G or backup T for us.  I know the argument most have given on here is that he is a T and not a G and you cant just change positions.  well that isnt true.  when we played STL they were playing a T at RG for the first time.  there are other examples but I dont really want to take the time to look them up.   I am sure that a certain style T is a better fit to be moved to G than others but I don't really know if Martin is that type or not.  I am willing to try anything to fix our OLine and if Pagano/Pep think he could help, then I say bring him in.

He is not that bad of a T.

Young, and not ready for LT just yet, maybe never.

A big reason our run game was better against tenn. was they put Cherilus at L TE beside AC. Our only two guys who can run block at all. Great idea iMO. The defense shifted to handle it and it opened up the middle and a few runs to the right. Very nice. Link even had some nice blocks from the  RT position. Now That is success!

Maybe Martin could fit in these roles. Doesn`t hurt to speculate.

Importantly, Pep and friends would be good judges of his mental and physical skills and if the much needed love of the game is there.

Castonzo is a 1st rd draft pick, year ahead of him and has a ton of starts and is still not good enough of a pass blocker to be a LT.

On 3 step drops & shotguns he gives up some pressures & hits, 5 step lots of pressures, hits, run for your lifes, and some sacks,

7 steps, constant pressures, you are going to run, get hit, sacked, strip sacked for a Td... you name it!

It is possible that after all is said and done with this Incognito investigation, that the NFL awards Martin with a free agent status. Only then would I be OK with the Colts signing him. But not if it's gonna cost them draft pick(s)

I would trade a 6th or 7th for him......He started for them.....he has some quality obviously..

....If we're going to draft offensive line depth..then trading a low pick for former second rounder with experience is a strong move

I'd say it's a solid, maybe. 

Random question. Why is Costanzo viewed as a below par LT here? I see him get beat every once in a while, but not all that often. The pressure Luck deals with most of the time is right up the middle. The center and guard play are far more concerning than Costanzo's.

Random question. Why is Costanzo viewed as a below par LT here? I see him get beat every once in a while, but not all that often. The pressure Luck deals with most of the time is right up the middle. The center and guard play are far more concerning than Costanzo's.

Because people have to defend their proclomations of bust from last season, forcing them to ignore the good to borderline very good play this year.

because some people are more interested in being right here than what is really happening on the field.

Once he moves on to another team the controversy should be over. Plus it doesn't surround him really, it's about the Dolphins and Incognito. The story wouldn't go any farther than the headline " Martin signs with Colts and rejoins Stanford teammates "

because some people are more interested in being right here than what is really happening on the field.

I don't understand the importance of it either. Like hey look at me, told you this guy sucks! Ok, here's a cookie. It's much worse when they stick to their guns when they are obviously wrong. Of course this happens in every subject of life.

Because people like to repeat things while having no clue. I think that talk has actually died down with his play this year.

First......

Jonathan Martin is not even close to being a bad player....    he's just not as good as the Dolphins had hoped.   He's an OK player.  He would not start for the Colts.   Not as long as we have Castanzo and Cherilus.

But he'd be a great back-up tackle for both sides.    Again,  not a starter, but a high quality back-up.

And I think he'd flourish in the culture of the Colt's locker-room.    Totally different than Miami's.

I hope the Dolphins release him, and the Colts sign him as a FA.    He wouldn't cost much in $$,  and we wouldn't have to trade a pick to get him.

Win-win for the Colts and Martin!      I hope it happens!

Because people have to defend their proclomations of bust from last season, forcing them to ignore the good to borderline very good play this year.

Maybe.

It could also be that they read someone else say that he isn't good, aren't knowledgable enough to know otherwise, saw a missed block that they are kinda sure might be his fault, and want to sound smart.

Or it could be that some fans somehow think "good" = perfect. Any mistakes are grounds to call someone terrible. Almost as if the opposition isn't even there. Castonzo missing a block couldn't possibly have anything to do with a great play by the opposition. Nope. He is terrible.

I don't understand the importance of it either. Like hey look at me, told you this guy sucks! Ok, here's a cookie. It's much worse when they stick to their guns when they are obviously wrong. Of course this happens in every subject of life.

I don't either, I just think people do it to feel better about themselves.  Personally I would be gladly be wrong 100% of the time if it meant good things for the Colts.