Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener

NDcolt

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got to watch the game today. Can someone explain why we didn't use our two very talented TEs more in the passing game? Seems like Pep is holding Luck back?

Pep wasn't holding Luck back; the pass rush was. Allen caught a TD, but was injured and didn't return. It was kind of hard to release the TEs today......we really had to keep them back in pass pro. The pass rush was pretty ruthless in the 2nd half. Fleener wasn't very good in pass pro....they were bringing a lot of edge rushers.

He's basically a late first rounder & I expect more production. let's hope someday the light comes on but we can officially start the bust conversation.

Fleenor needs to be a solid contributor by year 3, if not, then you consider alternatives.

Its not his fault he came to a barren roster and is needed before he should be expected to be fully ready.

Of course he needs to be split out on several plays a game. Not sure we will use him as he is best suited.

Arians made him play in line mostly last year and he is now a pretty decent blocker, and should continue to improve at that.

And PEP needs to work on the running game now as he said he would to earn some running game respect for play action.

Pretty clear Andrew can be very dangerous with time to throw and time for his receivers to get open.

Any expectations for these 3 lineman to be good at pass blocking is a JOKE. Foolhardy.

Castonzo Might make a decent RT as a pass blocker and our C & RG are backup talents.

We will do the best we can with what we have and bring all these young guys along and see if they make into good players over the next couple years.

Let's hope he can turn it around. Depending on Allen's status he might be asked to take a bigger role. As of today though, Grigson's top pick last year (fleener) and top pick this year (werner) have not been the least bit impressive.

Really? Fleener has been on the team one year, and Werner one game... cut these guys some slack. I bet some of the naysayers will be the first ones to jump up cheering them on like they new they would be good.

Good grief.

I'm not writing Fleener off. But one thing that upsets me is the only place he looks comfortable is when he's on the side lines. He is always laid back smiling laughing when he's off the field. He does seem lost at times on the field.

The Colts really need Fleener in this PH offense so I hope he has a breakout season.

I think some fans would be really shocked to learn that football isn't nearly as important to most players as it is to some fans. 

Fleener was having a good time on the sideline how dare he!  Who on earth does he think he is to be enjoying playing a game?  Off with his head!

For the record the last couple of parts were written in sarcasm in case anyone couldn't tell. 

I was not a Fleener fan myself at the time of his picking. I wanted either a running back or an OL  but I still think he's gonna develop into a nice TE for us. Hell, it took Dallas Clark a while to come into his own and we all saw what Dallas did for us. I'm not saying he's got superstar potential, but he's gonna be solid. It was said when he was drafted that it would take a bit for him to come into his own. Also, keep in mind, while this is his second year, it's also a second year in a new offensive scheme. I'd say if he's not starting to come into it by week 8 or so, then I'll start to worry.

I want to know how a player looks scared while playing football. People are screaming where's Hamilton, why isn't Fleener producing? I don't get it. IMO, the problem was the Colts didn't seem to get many possessions last night because of Pryor extending drives with his feet and our Oline not protecting Luck.

Fleener did make a catch... and is the least of our worries. I'm worried about the line more than anything. Being an armchair tight end will get you nowhere. If only we had drafted Tao, and got his invisible girlfriend with him it could have filled two holes, huh? These kind of threads are silly.

LOL

I was not a Fleener fan myself at the time of his picking. I wanted either a running back or an OL  but I still think he's gonna develop into a nice TE for us. heck, it took Dallas Clark a while to come into his own and we all saw what Dallas did for us. I'm not saying he's got superstar potential, but he's gonna be solid. It was said when he was drafted that it would take a bit for him to come into his own. Also, keep in mind, while this is his second year, it's also a second year in a new offensive scheme. I'd say if he's not starting to come into it by week 8 or so, then I'll start to worry.

Fleener has been given a lot of slack...he doesn't have much left...now he must prove he can receive, block and stay off the injury report...otherwise he can just fade away into oblivion and we will get another TE.

And we don't need a tall psuedo-WR with so-so hands...if we want one of those we can bring back Jeremy Kelly.

i take it you didn't see Dallas Clark early in his career

Dallas could always catch run & hustle honestly Fleener has underwhelmed me as well, heard he was having a great camp but with pre season he made 1 play and the fumbled. I see a lot of thinking & not enough of just playing. Not writing him off yet with all that talent, but he may not be strong or tough enough?

What talent? We haven't seen any. We just know he had a fast 40 and did well at the combine.

...and he had a good Game 1 against the Bears last year.

Those who watched him at Stanford know the type of talent he has. Now he just has to translate that talent to the NFL level.

What talent?  We haven't seen any.  We just know he had a fast 40 and did well at the combine.

He can run that his talent and his size, you either have these talents or don't can't coach them. He may not have heart, just not sure but WHATEVER IT IS, it is not looking right.

What talent?  We haven't seen any.  We just know he had a fast 40 and did well at the combine.

Not sure if serious and not sure if you know what talent means...The man has talent, but we haven't seen the production that at minimum meets his talent.

Not sure if serious and not sure if you know what talent means...The man has talent, but we haven't seen the production that at minimum meets his talent.

I'm not so sure he is all that talented.

Anyway, I am tired of Fleener and tired of hearing about Fleener.

I will pay attention to him when he shows up and starts playing like a NFL TE.

I'm not so sure he is all that talented.

Anyway, I am tired of Fleener and tired of hearing about Fleener.

I will pay attention to him when he shows up and starts playing like a NFL TE.

He has a ton of talent. That's why he was rated as a late first to early second round pick and that's why he got an 88+ prospect grade from NFL.com. the people in the know realize how much talent he has. As I said now its up to him to translate that talent to the NFL.

Coby Fleener....looks good in the uniform...goes through the motions...but reminds me of choosing sides for a pick up basketball game on the playground and you got the 6'5 black guy that fits the part....but find out he can't dribble and thinks he is MJ shooting fade away jumpers bricking them all game while he keeps calling for the ball...lol I know all you ballers on here know what I'm talking about.   In all honesty I really really want Fleener to be good......SOOO BAD....I pray its just that we need to turn a switch on for the kid but honestly...it just looks like no one is home. If Pep doesn't find a way to utilize him he will be a bust.

I don't think anybody on here advocated for us picking Fleener than me. All this really makes no sense. He should be making major gains by the time the end of the season draws near. But if it makes you feel better, Fleener looks now what Dallas Clark looks like now. So maybe, in time, Fleener will Look like Clark use to look when he was a boss.

I'm still gonna give Coby a chance..

He shined in TC and was looking like a beast in pre season..

He should be able to do it in a actual game..

I hope..

Okay i have never been a Fleener bust type guy but.... I have one question: What preseason were you watching that Fleener looked like a beast haha? I'm not calling you out or anything just wondering what you saw in preseason that made him look "beastly"

I think some fans would be really shocked to learn that football isn't nearly as important to most players as it is to some fans. 

Fleener was having a good time on the sideline how dare he!  Who on earth does he think he is to be enjoying playing a game?  Off with his head!

For the record the last couple of parts were written in sarcasm in case anyone couldn't tell.

Lol... Having a good time on the sidelines is all good. All I was stating is that the sidelines is the only place he looked comfortable being.

Okay i have never been a Fleener bust type guy but.... I have one question: What preseason were you watching that Fleener looked like a beast haha? I'm not calling you out or anything just wondering what you saw in preseason that made him look "beastly"

Maybe I exaggeratd the term "beast"

I was talking about the Buffalo game..

Coby was getting separation and making catches..

He had that nice catch and run before getting sandwiched between. Two defenders and losing the ball..

But he was showing me promise..

Those who watched him at Stanford know the type of talent he has. Now he just has to translate that talent to the NFL level.

What they saw at Stanford means absolutely nothing in the NFL. A whole new level of speed and strength. The list of great college players who couldn't make it in the NFL is long indeed.

What they saw at Stanford means absolutely nothing in the NFL. A whole new level of speed and strength. The list of great college players who couldn't make it in the NFL is long indeed.

Actually a college player who runs a 4.4 40 translates the same as NFL 40's so I dont subscribe to that whole argument, What I do subscribe to is when you get to the NFL your taught how to use it better

EXACTLY!  He has to do it in the NFL or it doesn't mean squat.

I agree with both of you.  However the point remains that no matter what happens with Fleener in the NFL, he still has a ton of raw talent.  It's up to him to make the most of that talent, but the talent is there none the less, and that's what Canuck was trying to disagree with. ;)

If that was true then what would we be drafting him for? It means something. Why do you think scouts go to their games to watch them? It's not for the concessions at the stadium that's for sure. Sure not every great college player translates to the NFL smoothly or at all, but what they do in college means something in the NFL. What they do in college helps get them their job.

I was one of the ones complaining when we drafted him.

With that being said, and I know this has been pointed out before, If you look at the stats for many of the top tight ends in the league Fleener's stats and the time it is taking him to learn to be a TE in NFL is comparable. Especially when you take into account he only played 12 games his 1st season.

Tony Gonzalez had almost identical stats his first year (with 4 more games), and his 2nd year was not much better.  He did not bust out until his 3rd year.

Vernon Davis had similar stats his first 3 seasons and did not start putting up big numbers until his 4th year.

Dallas Clark was in his 5th season before he really became the Dallas Clark we remember.

Greg Olsen although not necessarily considered elite like the others was taken RD 1 - Pick 31 almost the same spot as Fleener and had a similar 1st year as Fleener, a slightly better 2nd year, and put up solid stats in his 3rd season.

Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and Kyle Rudolph all put up similar stats to Fleener in their 1st season before breaking out in their second seasons.

I do not think you can write him off as a bust 1 game into his second season. He may never reach the level of any of these players, but on the other hand the light may come on half way through the season and he becomes one of the elite.  A lot of great tight ends would have been written off if teams had chosen to write them off as quickly as many fans want to label Fleener a bust.