Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener

NDcolt

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas could always catch run & hustle honestly Fleener has underwhelmed me as well, heard he was having a great camp but with pre season he made 1 play and the fumbled. I see a lot of thinking & not enough of just playing. Not writing him off yet with all that talent, but he may not be strong or tough enough?

Dallas Clark dropped his share of balls thrown to him. He would make the tough ones and drop the ones that hit him in the numbers. He had great numbers because of the amount of balls thrown his way. I liked Dallas a lot but lets not over do what he did. In 2009 he had 100 catches, 10 TDs and 1106 YDs. In 2007 he had 11 TDs and 616 YDs with 58 catches. Those are the only seasons he had more than 6TDs and 47 catches in 9 years here. 

There is no one that wants coby to rise to the top more than coby himself (that goes without saying). Knowing that obvious intention, his improvement must coincide with less trepidation on the field and simple practice, practice, practice. IMO, if he's got "IT", we will know by the end of this year or maybe mid 2014 barring any major set-backs from injury. What say u?

We only attempted 23 passes. Fleener was targeted 1 time and caught the pass. Luck completed 78% of his passes. Lets give Fleener 10 more games of healthy football and see where he's at.

Also, when you have Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Allen, DHB, and TY your going to have 4 other legit targets. If you only attempt 23 passes it's going to be tough to get a lot of touches.

No he didn`t. He can`t block 2 players. He blocked well IMO.

I agree he cant. I'm not sold either way on him just yet. Maybe hes still nursing an injury in his head or maybe just a little slow on the uptake. Besides If getting luck sacked were reason for dismissal, Castonzo would have been released long ago. Really surprised "this" issue hasn't been a topic.

I was one of the ones complaining when we drafted him.

With that being said, and I know this has been pointed out before, If you look at the stats for many of the top tight ends in the league Fleener's stats and the time it is taking him to learn to be a TE in NFL is comparable. Especially when you take into account he only played 12 games his 1st season.

Tony Gonzalez had almost identical stats his first year (with 4 more games), and his 2nd year was not much better.  He did not bust out until his 3rd year.

Vernon Davis had similar stats his first 3 seasons and did not start putting up big numbers until his 4th year.

Dallas Clark was in his 5th season before he really became the Dallas Clark we remember.

Greg Olsen although not necessarily considered elite like the others was taken RD 1 - Pick 31 almost the same spot as Fleener and had a similar 1st year as Fleener, a slightly better 2nd year, and put up solid stats in his 3rd season.

Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and Kyle Rudolph all put up similar stats to Fleener in their 1st season before breaking out in their second seasons.

I do not think you can write him off as a bust 1 game into his second season. He may never reach the level of any of these players, but on the other hand the light may come on half way through the season and he becomes one of the elite.  A lot of great tight ends would have been written off if teams had chosen to write them off as quickly as many fans want to label Fleener a bust.

Exactly what I've said all along. Tight Ends sometimes take a bit to develop. 

i have to be honest gronk and them etc... has me thinking guys should come right in and blow the stat sheet up and im a little inpatient , but to be honest fleener number might never be great until wayne retires cause of pecking order which sems to be, run game, wayne, dhb, allen, t.y, fleener and thier was only 23 balls to go around 

I agree he cant. I'm not sold either way on him just yet. Maybe hes still nursing an injury in his head or maybe just a little slow on the uptake. Besides If getting luck sacked were reason for dismissal, Castonzo would have been released long ago. Really surprised "this" issue hasn't been a topic.

Castonzo Homers think there are technigue/experience issues with him.

Not at all, he is just a hair to slow to play LT and his footwork/movement is just a little too clumsy.

The guy had tons of College experience and plenty of pro experience, he will never be a solid pass protector in a passing League. Like Link is a 4 position player.

That is a Homer Pipe Dream.

Fleener has been given a lot of slack...he doesn't have much left...now he must prove he can receive, block and stay off the injury report...otherwise he can just fade away into oblivion and we will get another TE.

And we don't need a tall psuedo-WR with so-so hands...if we want one of those we can bring back Jeremy Kelly.

Jack Doyle

Dallas Clark dropped his share of balls thrown to him. He would make the tough ones and drop the ones that hit him in the numbers. He had great numbers because of the amount of balls thrown his way. I liked Dallas a lot but lets not over do what he did. In 2009 he had 100 catches, 10 TDs and 1106 YDs. In 2007 he had 11 TDs and 616 YDs with 58 catches. Those are the only seasons he had more than 6TDs and 47 catches in 9 years here. 

There were a lot of weapons or his numbers would have been higher. Dallas was in no way perfect, but far in an a way better than what I have seen from Fleener thus far.

Castonzo Homers think there are technigue/experience issues with him.

Not at all, he is just a hair to slow to play LT and his footwork/movement is just a little too clumsy.

The guy had tons of College experience and plenty of pro experience, he will never be a solid pass protector in a passing League. Like Link is a 4 position player.

That is a Homer Pipe Dream.

Again I agree. technique and experience is a year one and tow issue. To be near the bottom of the league in allowing sacks since drafted tells me he lacks the speed and skill set. Every game I watch I can see what a difference it would make if we maintained a pocket like the Brady's of the league have. O-line

leads to a run game and run game leads to passing game. A few key upgrades there would change our fate more often than not. Even without a run game, a four to six second pocket for us would wreck a defense.

There were a lot of weapons or his numbers would have been higher. Dallas was in no way perfect, but far in an a way better than what I have seen from Fleener thus far.

So how many weapons does Luck have along with Fleener now? Dallas didn't have a high tier TE to compete with like Allen. Dallas had Harrison and Wayne and other than that not too much more competition. Fleener has Wayne, Allen, DHB and Hilton. I have no clue if Fleener is going to be a top tier TE in the NFL but there are very few receivers who even make an impact till their 3rd year. You bring up Clark?  Year 1- 29 catches with 1 TD. Year 2- 25 catches with 5 TDs. Year-3 37 catches with 4 TDs. Year 4- 30 catches with 4 TDs. His 5th year is where he improved. Even the HOF TE Tony Gonzalez took 3 years to become the player we all know him to be. So writing Fleener off at this point is too soon. I am not saying he is going to be an all star or a fantastic player but calling him no good or a bust at this point is way too premature.

So how many weapons does Luck have along with Fleener now? Dallas didn't have a high tier TE to compete with like Allen. Dallas had Harrison and Wayne and other than that not too much more competition. Fleener has Wayne, Allen, DHB and Hilton. I have no clue if Fleener is going to be a top tier TE in the NFL but there are very few receivers who even make an impact till their 3rd year. You bring up Clark?  Year 1- 29 catches with 1 TD. Year 2- 25 catches with 5 TDs. Year-3 37 catches with 4 TDs. Year 4- 30 catches with 4 TDs. His 5th year is where he improved. Even the HOF TE Tony Gonzalez took 3 years to become the player we all know him to be. So writing Fleener off at this point is too soon. I am not saying he is going to be an all star or a fantastic player but calling him no good or a bust at this point is way too premature.

He had Gonzalez, yes he had Stokley, 2 hall of WR's in Harrison & Wayne & Addia & A future hall of fame RD in James. And a Future Hall of fame QB in Manning who ALREADY had and existing chemistry with all maybe except Gonzalez. With Manning you have to earn your way & trust. Fleener has NO SUCH PROBLEM other than Wayne. And Fleener played many years with Luck before he got to us?? I haven't given up on Fleener yet & those that do are not so bright given the brief time he has been a Colt, But at this time I am concerned even with his size & talent he may not pan out. IMO you like to bring up Dallas whether Dallas was under utilized or had to earn his way, or plan old made mistakes, I at least could see the skill Dallas had. Fleener?????? :dunno::scratch:  I am hoping, only time will tell!

He had Gonzalez, yes he had Stokley, 2 hall of WR's in Harrison & Wayne & Addia & A future hall of fame RD in James. And a Future Hall of fame QB in Manning who ALREADY had and existing chemistry with all maybe except Gonzalez. With Manning you have to earn your way & trust. Fleener has NO SUCH PROBLEM other than Wayne. And Fleener played many years with Luck before he got to us?? I haven't given up on Fleener yet & those that do are not so bright given the brief time he has been a Colt, But at this time I am concerned even with his size & talent he may not pan out. IMO you like to bring up Dallas whether Dallas was under utilized or had to earn his way, or plan old made mistakes, I at least could see the skill Dallas had. Fleener?????? :dunno::scratch:  I am hoping, only time will tell!

Sorry, you are the one who brought up Dallas Clark. 

All this over reaction to Fleener is getting stale and old. It sometimes takes longer for a receiver to get adjusted into the NFL. I can't see into the future and I can't tell if Fleener is going to be all pro or an all star or not. Fleener is signed to a rookie contract and he is not overly paid while he is learning his skill. We all can say anything we want but till Griggs or the coaches determine he is not worthy of a roster spot it means zero. The TE position is a very hard position to shine at. There are 32 teams in the NFL and only a handful of top tier TEs. There is Gronk and Graham and then all the rest. In the big picture the TE position averages less points than a less than average RB. Most teams use the TE position to block and be a safety valve to dump passes off to. When Fleener was drafted it was the fans who said he was going to be the next Gronk, not anyone from the Colts. Now that Fleener is not yet become a good player that puts up stats we want to what??  All the excuses one way or another makes no difference as long as the Colts feel he is improving. There are sure a lot of other things to worry about with the Colts other than if Fleener is an all star TE or not.