Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

People analyzing the Peyton/Luck thing....[Merge]

presto123

I was listening to JT the brick tonight and he was going on and on about how Manning's performance tonight might be his best ever. Then he said...." some would think Colts are kicking themselves for getting rid of Manning" followed by......."not true.....the Colts already have the next Peyton manning on their team". 

I couldn't agree more. Peyton had a classic game and I still love watching the guy play but I'm glad the way it worked out. The rebuild will be a lot faster without that enormous salary and I can't wait to see the Colts be good on BOTH sides of the ball. All is good in Colts land:)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is extremely important, and healing.....for Colt fans to both acknowledge the incredible accomplishments of our genuinely loved signal caller...Peyton....and to embrace the coming of our new leader, Andrew Luck. It is ok to have  love and appreciation for both. One does not have to diminish the other in the least.

No disrespect to the OP. I just wanted to add a relative note on this subject. Reality is that despite most fans heartfelt hope to have a seamless transition from one iconic QB to another QB with iconic potential...it wasn't possible. For better or worse, the choice was made and I celebrate it. From my heart. But I also truly appreciated PM's historic performance tonight. Thank the universe that I can live in both emotions.

Sweet.

We have the next Peyton Manning, still we have a long way to being a contender. I would say 2-3 more seasons.

Still I'm excited about this season, I hope Luck can show his talent. "can": I have some concerns about our offensive line protecting Luck.

No way to the 2-3 more seasons. The offense is there besides the O-line. If we get 1 or 2 more capable lineman the O-line's set. That doesn't take 2-3 years. And the defense is actually pretty good. 

Though in this league now you can win with a mediocre defense. I would say we're possibly contenders this season. I count contenders as top 3 in your conference which I feel we can be behind Denver and Houston. We probably be true contenders this year though but next season definitely. 

As I've said many times, I hope Peyton rips it up for as long as he can......with one exception. And we all know what that is.

I'd be a little worried with the running game if I'm a Bronc. Sure, who needs to run when you have 18, but he' not as young as he used to be. I do question the need to have him in there padding his stats. He already had done enough.

I've taken the Broncs for the SB, and Manning for NFL MVP. Good start!!

I think it is extremely important, and healing.....for Colt fans to both acknowledge the incredible accomplishments of our genuinely loved signal caller...Peyton....and to embrace the coming of our new leader, Andrew Luck. It is ok to have  love and appreciation for both. One does not have to diminish the other in the least.

No disrespect to the OP. I just wanted to add a relative note on this subject. Reality is that despite most fans heartfelt hope to have a seamless transition from one iconic QB to another QB with iconic potential...it wasn't possible. For better or worse, the choice was made and I celebrate it. From my heart. But I also truly appreciated PM's historic performance tonight. Thank the universe that I can live in both emotions.

Sweet.

What made it extra sweet was it was against the Ravens. 

No way to the 2-3 more seasons. The offense is there besides the O-line. If we get 1 or 2 more capable lineman the O-line's set. That doesn't take 2-3 years. And the defense is actually pretty good. 

Though in this league now you can win with a mediocre defense. I would say we're possibly contenders this season. I count contenders as top 3 in your conference which I feel we can be behind Denver and Houston. We probably be true contenders this year though but next season definitely. 

I still feel that we need to be improved at C and OG. Our receiving corps and RB-staff are looking terribly good (I expect T.Y. to have an outstanding season).

I agree, we are set on defensive side of the ball, both defense against pass and D against the run is improved.

I still feel that we need to be improved at C and OG. Our receiving corps and RB-staff are looking terribly good (I expect T.Y. to have an outstanding season).

I agree, we are set on defensive side of the ball, both defense against pass and D against the run is improved.

We will know if we are set at defense after broncos game. if he throws 7 tds versus us we are not set.

I think this was a message game to the Ravens and the NFL..for having the Flacco banners up in Denver..I remember reading something about it, but I'm not sure on the details..Peyton just was saying..this is MY town...and went out to prove a point...

The only thing I didn't like about the game is when Denver had first and goal on the 2, after 2 nice runs by Ball...I think they should have at least tried run the ball in..but hey..it was a score...so I really can't complain...

Even if I wasn't a Colts fan...Peyton is the best QB I have ever seen (imo)...might not be the prettiest passes..but they get the job done time after time. He is the greatest at reading defenses, and taking every little advantage in order to win (ie..how often he catches 12 men on the field when defenses try to substitute.) Being a Colt fan makes it even more sweeter..

To quote one of my favorite movies.."The Last Dragon" (adjusted for Peyton)

When I say WHO'S THE MASTER??..you say Peyton Manning...

I think this was a message game to the Ravens and the NFL..for having the Flacco banners up in Denver..I remember reading something about it, but I'm not sure on the details..Peyton just was saying..this is MY town...and went out to prove a point...

The only thing I didn't like about the game is when Denver had first and goal on the 2, after 2 nice runs by Ball...I think they should have at least tried run the ball in..but hey..it was a score...so I really can't complain...

Even if I wasn't a Colts fan...Peyton is the best QB I have ever seen (imo)...might not be the prettiest passes..but they get the job done time after time. He is the greatest at reading defenses, and taking every little advantage in order to win (ie..how often he catches 12 men on the field when defenses try to substitute.) Being a Colt fan makes it even more sweeter..

To quote one of my favorite movies.."The Last Dragon" (adjusted for Peyton)

When I say WHO'S THE MASTER??..you say Peyton Manning...

SHO NUFF

its been done once in 44 years. Odds are it won't happen again in 7 weeks

Probably won't but stranger things have happened.  haha  ( he may get 8 jk)   Looks like the Broncos are on a mission. :thmup:  Can you imagine what he will do to the Raiders twice this year. :funny:

It's an honor to still be able to watch #18 perform like that. It still doesn't top the Tampa Bay game (IMO) but wow, just awesome to watch that guy play. He was our QB for 14 years and IS the greatest to ever play the game.

That said, I think we all know what we have in Andrew Luck and Colts fans, as a collective, are filled to the brim with anticipation to see just how great our #12 will be.

:blueshoe:

I detest the contstant discussions and  comparisons between the two.

No secret, Peyton is my favorite, and I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game, and watching him in action.

He makes me Proud.     

Andrew should NOT be referred to as "The Next Peyton".   Andrew is his own person, and he too, is going to make his mark in the NFL  doing great things.   We are so "fortunate" to have had these two incredible QB's on our team.    Enjoy it.

To be fair, Andrew Luck has the POTENTIAL to be better then Manning.  

He has theoretically speaking all of the tools that Manning has but is also athletic and not a statue in the pocket.  

Of course all of that is theoretical.  He's not better then Manning yet and he needs some more experience before the two can honestly be compared.  

Peyton just being Peyton. 

And sooner or later, we will start saying Andrew just being Andrew. 

It puts a huge smile on my face to see Peyton play to such a high level still. The situation this organization was in was an extremely tough one. But it really seemed to work out for all parties. Peyton needs to win now, so he goes to a team with a great supporting cast around him. Colt's wanted to set themselves up for the future and change the culture of this team. That is exactly what we did. If Peyton wins another championship or two before he retires than awesome. I will be rooting for him the entire way, unless our roads cross. He will always be a huge part of this team. It's absolutely ok to still love Peyton and respect what hes doing. Having Andrew has made this transition incredibly easy for the most part. Not once last year did I watch a game and go I really wish we still had Peyton. 

Peyton being on the Broncos just gives me another team to cheer for when i'm not watching the Colts. 

Don't forgot, they had to make a decision on Peyton on whether to give him a cajillion dollars before they even knew if he'd ever get healthy again.

Exactly.  Everyone who is saying we should have kept Manning or regret getting Luck has the benefit of hindsight.  You have seen what has happened to Manning, but when the decision was made nobody knew if Manning would play again let alone be at the top level we are use.  Everyone using hindsight now would be the same people ranting and raving had we kept Manning and he busted and we missed out on Luck or RG3.  

This decision was just as much about now as the future.  Manning will not be here in two or three years and this team needed blowing up because it was built to dependent on Manning.  Going Luck allowed us to finally blow the team up and build it up from scratch.  Yes, keeping Manning and trying to rebuild on the fly could have put us in place for a couple more title runs, but our biggest problem was Manning could drag our corpse to the playoffs, but then he needed help come playoff time and rarely did he get any from our defense or run game.

Think about we had two great prospects staring us in the face with RG3 and Luck.  We were not going to get that chance again with Manning playing.  We were given the chance most teams with top tier QBs never get.  We had the chance to transition from a HOFer to one of the best prospects to come out in years.  I mean I guess we could have kept Manning and maybe took a flier on Geno Smith.

So Irsay decided to just rip the band aid off as quickly as possible instead of picking it off little by little. 

Most Colt fans have moved on considering what we have in Luck. I for one still admire Peyton and his greatness but the Colts made the RIGHT decision!!! The talent around Peyton the last few years with the Colts was getting suspect under Polian and I was NEVER sold on Caldwell. Besides the question mark of his health keeping Peyton also meant keeping the old regime and on that note alone it was time to move on! The Broncos realize that Peyton has about 3 or 4 yrs left (maybe) and will do everything possible talent wise to win a SB now. I think Bill and son Chris did Peyton a disservice talent wise in the end here in Indy. Remember the 2-14 season without the goat? No type of backup plan even with the knowledge of the injury and surgery going into training camp yet the coaching staff looked like deers in headlights when the season started. I say again Brady went down for the season one series in yet the Patriots still managed to go 11-5 that year. So give me Luck (a superstar in the making) and Grigs with his hunger to build a young Colt team capable of winning big sooner rather than later.

I detest the contstant discussions and  comparisons between the two.

No secret, Peyton is my favorite, and I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game, and watching him in action.

He makes me Proud.     

Andrew should NOT be referred to as "The Next Peyton".   Andrew is his own person, and he too, is going to make his mark in the NFL  doing great things.   We are so "fortunate" to have had these two incredible QB's on our team.    Enjoy it.

Couldn't agree more. :)

Exactly.  Everyone who is saying we should have kept Manning or regret getting Luck has the benefit of hindsight.  You have seen what has happened to Manning, but when the decision was made nobody knew if Manning would play again let alone be at the top level we are use.  Everyone using hindsight now would be the same people ranting and raving had we kept Manning and he busted and we missed out on Luck or RG3.  

This decision was just as much about now as the future.  Manning will not be here in two or three years and this team needed blowing up because it was built to dependent on Manning.  Going Luck allowed us to finally blow the team up and build it up from scratch.  Yes, keeping Manning and trying to rebuild on the fly could have put us in place for a couple more title runs, but our biggest problem was Manning could drag our corpse to the playoffs, but then he needed help come playoff time and rarely did he get any from our defense or run game.

Think about we had two great prospects staring us in the face with RG3 and Luck.  We were not going to get that chance again with Manning playing.  We were given the chance most teams with top tier QBs never get.  We had the chance to transition from a HOFer to one of the best prospects to come out in years.  I mean I guess we could have kept Manning and maybe took a flier on Geno Smith.

So Irsay decided to just rip the band aid off as quickly as possible instead of picking it off little by little. 

With the benefit of hindsight we could of held on to #18 knowing that Tebow would be available :P 

Honestly , I don't think Luck will ever be as good as Manning. That doesn't mean he can't be great , but Manning is a once in a generation type quarterback. Luck had a great first season, but he has a long way to go. The Colts made the right long term move, but it will sting if Denver gets a Super Bowl or two, in the next three years.

Honestly , I don't think Luck will ever be as good as Manning. That doesn't mean he can't be great , but Manning is a once in a generation type quarterback. Luck had a great first season, but he has a long way to go. The Colts made the right long term move, but it will sting if Denver gets a Super Bowl or two, in the next three years.

Why would it sting? With what the Colts had in place Manning wouldn't have been able to win another ring here. I said at the time Irsay did him a favor.

IMO,the Colts FO did Peyton a favor by releasing him and then themselves by "reloading." Yes it cuts deep watching him play QB in anything other than a Colts jersey but it had to be done when you factor in salary and team talent around him. I don't think he`d be putting up these type numbers with the Colts under the former regime, not with this O-line! A younger, bigger, more mobile version Peyton ,also known as Andrew Luck might though :thmup:

It won't sting me. The Colts weren't going to win one here with Manning considering the salary he was due and the way the roster was going to need to be blown up. He could win 5 titles and the Colts still would have made the correct move in starting over.

Loved Peyton and his record run. "was" the Colts and Irsay knew it. That being said< Id almost guarantee that Irsay or grigson hasn't lost and moments sleep knowing the value in the "Luck" pick. Best case scenario if we'd kept Manning..... 3 to4 more years of being competitive, finished his final season at 10 and 6 which would have positioned us perfectly in the middle of the next draft for the next Brady Quinn or Matt Leinart or possibly looking in free agency to squeeze the last bit of success out of a Rex Grossman. No thanks. would have no interest in spending the next 10 seasons looking for a franchise QB. Pretty sure Grigson saw a similar scenario.

Too all of you who don't want to talk about the Manning/Luck thing (you know, one of the biggest story lines in sports, especially here in Colt land), what do you want to talk about? The weather? Ceasar Rayford? John Boyett?  Dude just threw 7 freaking touchdown passes! It was incredible and it's completely reasonable to take note, and wounder aloud what it all means. 

As I've said many times, I hope Peyton rips it up for as long as he can......with one exception. And we all know what that is.

I'd be a little worried with the running game if I'm a Bronc. Sure, who needs to run when you have 18, but he' not as young as he used to be. I do question the need to have him in there padding his stats. He already had done enough.

I've taken the Broncs for the SB, and Manning for NFL MVP. Good start!!

I think Montee Ball will be decent for them once he learns the Peyton/Bronco offense, and his roles in pass blocking/catching, and blitz pickup.  Peyton is hoping for sooner rather than later.

I already said I think Irsay made the right move on the Manning/ Luck deal. However , if I was a Colts fan it would certainly sting if Manning won two Super Bowls in Denver. Lets face facts, you know it was the right move, but you would sure like those SuperBowl rings. If Luck goes five years without winning a Super Bowl , and Denver got one or two, you have to admit it would hurt.