Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade up to the 18 spot

bobourret

Never fall in love with one player too much in a team game. My answer would still be no.

I would be glad to wait it out and see if he slides to No.24 if he has slid that far already.

Castanzo slid to No.22, Bryan Bulaga slid in the draft to No.23 if I remember right, David DeCastro slid in the draft to No.24, so I will take my chances.

Purely hypothetically, I'd definitely consider it.

It would obviously depend on what we had to give up but I think we only really need 4 picks this year (OG, OLB, WR, CB) and guard is far and away our biggest need.

It would obviously depend on what we had to give up but I think we only really need 4 picks this year (OG, OLB, WR, CB) and guard is far and away our biggest need.

I'd argue that Safety depth is as big a need as WR or CB...

and to respond to the OP, I wouldn't trade up even for Cooper, I am more for trading out of the first, shoot for a couple picks in the second or a high second/high third... should still be some very good Linemen availible in the second/third rounds...

if the trade isnt there, just sit back & see who is there at 24...

I agree on everything but add safety and the bolded. I feel our biggest need is a rush OLB. Mathis is no spring chicken and as much as I feel Hughes is under rated what will we do on obvious passing downs if/when Mathis is injured and we need to slide Walden off the field? Having only one weak spot on the line is not the worst thing in football, and with who we have at RG being our weakest linemen we should be alright(Especially if BI gets those knees together). I feel our needs are in this order: OLB, CB(Could swap this with FS). FS(See other parenthesis), G, WR.

I am not saying your post is wrong, just sharing a difference of opinion.

I'd argue that Safety depth is as big a need as WR or CB...

and to respond to the OP, I wouldn't trade up even for Cooper, I am more for trading out of the first, shoot for a couple picks in the second or a high second/high third... should still be some very good Linemen availible in the second/third rounds...

if the trade isnt there, just sit back & see who is there at 24...

I agree on everything but add safety and the bolded. I feel our biggest need is a rush OLB. Mathis is no spring chicken and as much as I feel Hughes is under rated what will we do on obvious passing downs if/when Mathis is injured and we need to slide Walden off the field? Having only one weak spot on the line is not the worst thing in football, and with who we have at RG being our weakest linemen we should be alright(Especially if BI gets those knees together). I feel our needs are in this order: OLB, CB(Could swap this with FS). FS(See other parenthesis), G, WR.

I am not saying your post is wrong, just sharing a difference of opinion.

Saying guard was "far and away" our biggest need was probably a bit much to be fair. Until recently I had considered OLB and G joint top needs but I'very found myself leaning more towards G over the last week or two.

For the record, I think we can get both a competent pass rusher and a competent guard in the second and therefore i also would advocate trading back.

Saying guard was "far and away" our biggest need was probably a bit much to be fair. Until recently I had considered OLB and G joint top needs but I'very found myself leaning more towards G over the last week or two.

For the record, I think we can get both a competent pass rusher and a competent guard in the second and therefore i also would advocate trading back.

I agree trading back would be alright too I still like warford Ik some don't but I think he would be a good fit with us he's still a good linemen if there is a way to get 2 2nd round picks count me in haha

Probably not, unless Grigson really wants some player he regards as one of his 'blue chippers'.

Like Elway says, picking 28th is as good as picking 10th..."we feel like we can get as good a player at No. 28 as we could at 10."

...only a slight exaggeration.

Awesome idk how the trade value for picks works much so I just listen to all the draft ppl here lol

It's really simple.

Each pick is assigned a numerical value, with the first pick in the draft obviously being the highest and the last pick the lowest.

Using a chart like this one:http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php teams can see how much their pick is worth and attempt to match it up with a combination of other picks that equate to the same value.

For example, our 24th overall pick is worth 740 points. In order to get maximum value when trading back, we would need to get as close to that number as possible. So, in theory, we could trade our 24th (740) away for the Jets 2nd and 3rd rounders which are worth 500 and 220 points respectively, totalling 720 points. A pretty fair trade on paper for both parties.

Hope that helps.

Not for Cooper. I would for someone like Jordan or Millner....otherwise I'd rather trade back then trade up. While we need a guard it isn't so important of a position of need that we need to give up so much (and without a 2nd rd pick) to get there. I would rather trade back with the 49ers for pick 34 and 61 or for Bengals 37 and 53. Which are both pretty close on the value chart to our pick. JMO

Not for Cooper. I would for someone like Jordan or Millner....otherwise I'd rather trade back then trade up. While we need a guard it isn't so important of a position of need that we need to give up so much (and without a 2nd rd pick) to get there. I would rather trade back with the 49ers for pick 34 and 61 or for Bengals 37 and 53. Which are both pretty close on the value chart to our pick. JMO

How much better is Milliner than Rhodes? I wouldn't trade up for him. Jordan is probably a standout, but that's also a huge buy to get all the way up to #2 (consensus is the Jags will take him). And you could probably get Ansah at #5, but again, that's gonna cost.

I think trading up in the first round is probably not an option this year.

How much better is Milliner than Rhodes? I wouldn't trade up for him. Jordan is probably a standout, but that's also a huge buy to get all the way up to #2 (consensus is the Jags will take him). And you could probably get Ansah at #5, but again, that's gonna cost.

I think trading up in the first round is probably not an option this year.

Agree. I only meant if one of those guys was sitting there like at pick 18 or 20. It would cost us perhaps another second rounder next year...we don't have the picks this year to draft up at all. I literally only meant it would have to be for one of the elite prospects in the draft....no way either of those make it out of the top 10 so it will never happen. Again...I vote for trading back and getting two second rounders from teams like the 49ers or bengals as the value is pretty close and they would have to be looking to trade up. I think unless someone really tumbles back to us I would sacrifice our first rounder for 2 second rounders. I don't think the skill level where we are picking will be an immediate starter anyways so why not get two really good projects we could plug in situationally and likely step in for players that will leave in FA or retirement in the next couple years.

We dont have the picks to trade up this year. Besides 24 is a good spot for a very good player to fall to, like Decastro did last year. If someone doesnt, then we can try and trade down to a QB needy team selecting early in the 2nd. We need all the picks we can get.

I wouldn't do it.

Not with my lack of knowledge of the abilities of the existing personnel.

Plus I also don't know the abilities of the rest of the roster, and don't even have a draft board made up.

I've never interviewed any of them, and yada, yada, yada.

So, I'm sitting pat, until/if Mr. Grigson tells me otherwise.

no...

makes more sense to see who is available at #24, then get a G in the 3rd or trade down and get Warford... I think that the 2 elite guards will drop come draft day, how far I can't say... wouldn't count on Cooper still being there at #24, but there are other options than blowing up the rest of the draft to get a good G and too many spots that lack depth, IMO

There is a reason why teams are reluctant to draft OGs in the 1st... a 1st round guard gets paid too much compared to market value... Cooper would be a steal at #24, but there will be good value in other rounds...

No but tough call, we could get Brian Winters in the 3rd and while he is not as technically sound or athletic as Cooper, he is still pretty good or we could have a shot at Barrett Jones, Or Corey Lemonier in the 3rd at OLB