Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have shown Interest in Connor Barwin.

Dark Superman

This title is misleading.  The quote was "they would seem to have a lot of interest" not that they have shown interest (that's tampering).

Exactly.  I listened to the interview today on the NFL Channel on Sirius.  The way the question was phrased was in the context that he wants to play for a winner.  When Adam Schein asked if he had interest in playing for the Colts, he gave that answer.

The Colts aren't going to show public interest in anyone until 3/12.

Actually starting 3/9 they can show all the interest they want.

Exactly. I listened to the interview today on the NFL Channel on Sirius. The way the question was phrased was in the context that he wants to play for a winner. When Adam Schein asked if he had interest in playing for the Colts, he gave that answer.

The Colts aren't going to show public interest in anyone until 3/12.

NFL.com under Connor Barwin "Patriots would be nice"

Also says the Colts have shown interest in him and with the right persuasion he said its very well possible.

Taking someone from our biggest threat in the AFC South sounds gravy to me.

If he's a good deal and cheaper than Kruger Id be fine with it as long as we dont overpay. I have a feeling Kruger will command a much bigger contract.

Ehh, he'd be cheaper than Kruger but only 3 sacks in a contract year scares me. Granted JJ Watt pretty much got to the QB at will. How is he against the run? The Cosmo Kramer haircut has to go though.

Plus, the Texans Dline is better than ours. I understand that J.J. Watt kind of wrinkles the outcome but ultimately the Dline keeps the LBs free. If he racked up those numbers with their Dline, what will he look like behind ours? BTW: I'm not a Kruger fan either.

Plus, the Texans Dline is better than ours. I understand that J.J. Watt kind of wrinkles the outcome but ultimately the Dline keeps the LBs free. If he racked up those numbers with their Dline, what will he look like behind ours? BTW: I'm not a Kruger fan either.

Well...sort of.  The Texans play a 1-gap 3-4 scheme so their DL is designed to penetrate and get into the backfield, as opposed to a 2-gap 3-4 scheme (like we run) where the DL's primary purpose is to occupy blockers to keep the LB's clean.  So the Texans' DL isn't trying to keep the LB's free, they're trying to get to the ball carrier themselves.  Barwin could be much more productive in our defense....or on the other hand he could be even less productive than he was there but I think the likelihood is that he would be more productive in our defense, but I have no idea by how much.

Either way, as already pointed out the article doesn't say that the Colts have expressed interest.

Well...sort of.  The Texans play a 1-gap 3-4 scheme so their DL is designed to penetrate and get into the backfield, as opposed to a 2-gap 3-4 scheme (like we run) where the DL's primary purpose is to occupy blockers to keep the LB's clean.  So the Texans' DL isn't trying to keep the LB's free, they're trying to get to the ball carrier themselves.  Barwin could be much more productive in our defense....or on the other hand he could be even less productive than he was there but I think the likelihood is that he would be more productive in our defense, but I have no idea by how much.

Either way, as already pointed out the article doesn't say that the Colts have expressed interest.

Good post. Like every other acquisition we have to ask two questions. One, is he an upgrade over what we have? Two, If so, is he the best option for that upgrade?

I'd say yes to the first question. The second question can't be answered until Free Agency starts and we know what's out there.

This guy is extremely overrated for whatever reason. Especially for what he's probably going to want. I'd much rather have Kruger.

I think his contract demands are going to be pretty low level, considering the season he's coming off of. I do think Kruger is a better option, but Barwin will probably come at a third of the price right now.

I think his contract demands are going to be pretty low level, considering the season he's coming off of. I do think Kruger is a better option, but Barwin will probably come at a third of the price right now.

Hope you're right, but I thought I read somewhere a while ago that he wanted to be paid pretty well.

Hope you're right, but I thought I read somewhere a while ago that he wanted to be paid pretty well.

Memory might be hazy, but I think he turned down $5m/year from the Texans last offseason. That was after an 11.5 sacks season, and the Texans were losing Mario Williams, and still wouldn't go higher than that. I'm assuming that he'd jump at that right now, but can't imagine that any team would be willing to give him that much after a disappointing year. I could be entirely wrong, but I'm thinking three years, $12m gets it done.

Meanwhile, Kruger reportedly wants five years, $40m. All things being equal, I'd rather have Kruger, and I'm okay with that contract value, assuming a reasonable structure. But he's not twice as good as Barwin, and on a cost-value approach, I think Barwin would be a better and safer signing. Tons of options in the draft this year.

If we could sign Barwin, draft Sam Montgomery (LSU DE/OLB, probably have heard more about his teammate Barkevious Mingo, who is probably a top five pick after the Combine), and have a foursome of Mathis, Hughes, Barwin and Montgomery, we'd get more bang for our buck than signing Kruger at $8m/year.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013smontgomery.php

That was after an 11.5 sacks season, and the Texans were losing Mario Williams, and still wouldn't go higher than that. I'm assuming that he'd jump at that right now, but can't imagine that any team would be willing to give him that much after a disappointing year.

Probably took advice from his agent.....

barwin = Satelle, McGlynn, Zibby,

"I’m not going to sugar-coat it: this was a bad season for Barwin. His -18.9 grade was the third-worst of any 3-4 outside linebacker. His 4.0 Run Stop Percentage and 5.8 Pass Rushing Productivity were both among the worst marks at his position. Some PFF readers may have seen this coming too, as Barwin earned a -4.6 grade last season despite notching 12 sacks. Often getting looped into the accolades of more accomplished teammates like Watt and Brian Cushing, you could say that Barwin is one of the most overrated defenders in the NFL."

Yip!

Let me make something clear - and I am NOT being condescending to anyone !! 

ANY "interest" you see published and/or broadcast is SPECULATION ONLY !!

ANY NFL team who mentions players and/or contacts players under contract to another NFL team are subject to fines and/or loss of draft picks !!

EVERY veteran free agent is under contract to their current team until MARCH 12TH !!

Barwin was flipped from his original position due to injury on their D-Line.....which contributed to his diminished stats this season. Not an excuse just as fact some guys struggle playing from the other angle....apparently he did. I know I have been lambasted for saying this would be a good value signing as long as its not a bank busting deal, and I still believe that. The PFF stats as good as they are do not reflect such things, their ratings and point distribution are based solely on static point values...they do not take into account someone playing out of position.  Ultimately we will all see who the Colts see as a value, or a commodity.....no ones opinion here is going to be the deciding factor in any free agent signing. But I would not be quick to dismiss Barwin whether he ends up a Colt or not he is of starting caliber in the NFL and lets be honest we fielded a defense full of back ups (with few exceptions) and went 11-5. So any legit starter be they a stat monger or not is an upgrade.