Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We still have Josh Chapman so why?

Greenoughrunner

Because of the uncertainty with Chap and his injury/health status. Also NT's usually rotate, so it would be nice to have another beast to keep that line fresh. I personally want a CB or OLB/DE, but I wouldn't be upset with a NT either as that is a need. 

Chapman would have been 1st or 2nd round pick last year had he not had the ACL tear. So, I would think he's had plenty of time to heal now and would be back to 100%. I think it's unlikey that we take a NT at #24 unless the top prospect at the position is still sitting there and Grigson really likes him. Im thinking we are going to go CB or OLB but the draft is so wide open this year I've seen guys jumping all over the draft board. Case in point: Shariff Floyd. He's jumped all the way into the top 5. He was previously in the 20's.

So in several mock drafts iv been seeing us take a NT, but why would we do that when we still have Chapman. Yes, he hasnt proven him self. But I still think hes our guy. Let me know if im just beging stupid lol.

That is because mock drafts are as accurate as Horoscopes.

NFL Teams run over 50% between the Guards. Our D Has to have really good play at the NT position.

Some think that Hankins or Williams might be the BPA at out 24 pick. My reading suggests both of them could play the DE position and/or be good at NT. That versatility would be a VALUE. Building up the trenches has to come sometime.
 We are NOT sound with both our lines at this time.

With so many holes BPA, the book says a pass rusher, CB or LT with a 1st pick.
 We are All just hoping for Greatness! :goodluck: 

So in several mock drafts iv been seeing us take a NT, but why would we do that when we still have Chapman. Yes, he hasnt proven him self. But I still think hes our guy. Let me know if im just beging stupid lol.

What do you know about Chapman that makes you think he's our guy? I'm a Buckeye living in Bama, but I can't help being impressed with how good they are. I thought Chapman was a serviceable player with great drive and heart to play through injury.

But any Bama fan will tell you he was no Mt. Cody. And how much does Cody play?

So, yes, we have hope he'll be a player. But what makes you, or anyone, think he's going to be special?

NFL Teams run over 50% between the Guards. Our D Has to have really good play at the NT position.

Some think that Hankins or Williams might be the BPA at out 24 pick. My reading suggests both of them could play the DE position and/or be good at NT. That versatility would be a VALUE. Building up the trenches has to come sometime.

We are NOT sound with both our lines at this time.

With so many holes BPA, the book says a pass rusher, CB or LT with a 1st pick.

We are All just hoping for Greatness! :goodluck: 

I am going to agree with BBs here concerning the NT position as well as Hankins and Williams.

If we have a healthy Chapman which I believe we have, NT in the traditional sense is 'covered.'  Chapman, at 6'0" 315-20 demands double teams.  A  Jesse Williams at 320 and Hankins at 335 will also demand a DT.....are they quick enough?  If you have two guys double-teamed....not going to be easy to block the LBs...interesting.

Here's to hoping Chapman is well....and ready for the rigors of the NFL....the man is a fire-plug! :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I agree with you Greeny....

I think Chapman, if healthy, will be our Nose for base downs. His job will be to stuff the run and demand double teams, and I see no reason to believe he will be anything but successful. This may not be a popular perspective, but I do not believe the NT position is as important as it once was. This is a passing league now, and normally the Nose is only in for about 40% of downs. That is what I expect from Chapman; in on run downs, out on pass.

I think Chapman I'm very impressed with Alabama players he  will be playing & contributing big time  , I'v been looking at the mock drafts there just educated opinions from outsiders who's opinion is no better than ours . I expect best available & it won't be a punter or QB   , Hopefully OLB - CB .

The NT position simply demands lots of bodies.   The potential for injury at that spot is greater than most any other spot on defense, perhaps even on the field.    You need bodies and good ones at that....

That said...

I, personally, would never take a NT in the first round.  You're not going to get a pass rush from the NT spot, and rushing the passer is the name of the game in the modern NFL.   As close as I can find to an exception to the rule would be Haloti Ngaga, and I'm not sure he's a pure NT.   I don't think he is.   He more often flanks the NT.    You can find quality NT's after the first round.

In the first two rounds you need premium athletes at premium positions.   QB, OT,  OLB,  DE,  CB....   you can find other quality players after that.....

Just my view of things....

The NT position simply demands lots of bodies.   The potential for injury at that spot is greater than most any other spot on defense, perhaps even on the field.    You need bodies and good ones at that....

That said...

I, personally, would never take a NT in the first round.  You're not going to get a pass rush from the NT spot, and rushing the passer is the name of the game in the modern NFL.   As close as I can find to an exception to the rule would be Haloti Ngaga, and I'm not sure he's a pure NT.   I don't think he is.   He more often flanks the NT.    You can find quality NT's after the first round.

In the first two rounds you need premium athletes at premium positions.   QB, OT,  OLB,  DE,  CB....   you can find other quality players after that.....

Just my view of things....

I am going to throw something out here....you all can tell me what you think...feel free to slam me if you want...:)

I feel as if Grigson had an idea on Chapman last year, and got him when he could.  He watched the same film as this....Chapman made LSU look sick at times...Look at the leverage Colts fans....even on the Ridley runs....he has his man controlled.

I had seen him, and was under the impression he was a 2nd/3rd  round choice last year other than the injury....falling to 5.

I love the guy...my guess is Grigs and Pagano do as well  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

A number of DT going early this year. Ahead of Premium positions. A "Good Year" for them they say.
 In this PASSING LEAGUE, hard to find a Coach though that doesn`t want to set up his play action with a good running game.

Running Works. And DT/NT are a Big part of the Antidote. Dreaming of the next Reggie White. :cheers: 
 Watching the play and looking at the tackling #`s of Moala, Mookie, & Ricardo Mathews, we were bad there.

With so many holes to fill, the reason I hope Griggs works next years #2 Pick into this draft.

Chapman is an unknown.  Don't get me wrong I am all for giving him a chance but it's not like he is a proven player that we know what we are getting and know we can count on.  He still has to prove he can make the jump from college to the NFL.  With that said to put all our eggs in the Chapman basket might be a little foolish.  I don't think the Colts are either, they still might re-sign Johnson and they have McKinney coming back.  With that said I am not exactly calling for us to draft a DT with our first round pick either.  However, if that's the best player on the board when we pick I am not exactly going to lose my mind over it either if we go in that direction. 

I am going to throw something out here....you all can tell me what you think...feel free to slam me if you want... :)

I feel as if Grigson had an idea on Chapman last year, and got him when he could.  He watched the same film as this....Chapman made LSU look sick at times...Look at the leverage Colts fans....even on the Ridley runs....he has his man controlled.

I had seen him, and was under the impression he was a 2nd/3rd  round choice last year other than the injury....falling to 5.

I love the guy...my guess is Grigs and Pagano do as well  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Man, i watched hat film and Chapman looks like a 1st Rd Premier tackle. i cant wait to see him this year. Arians stated a few times, last year where he(Chapman) was trying to learn how to play on two legs again after playing on a torn ACL during Alabama's Championship year. If he plays like the Video in one leg then i cant wait to see him with the same drive on two legs in the NFL.

Between Chapman, Mckinney, and a hybrid guy like Tevaseu we have plenty of room at Nose Tackle. I think we're fine there. We could use some more improvement at DE I think. Personally I'd like to pick up 340lb Brandon Williams from Missouri Southern. He can play NT and DE. Brings size and versatility to the mix. I don't think we have good chance at Lotuleilei.

John Clayton matter of factly said Grigson will go defense this draft. I do think now that Grigson will use FA to fill vital starting positions and the draft will be BPA which will be mostly oline, Dlineman and safety which are the deep positions.

John Clayton matter of factly said Grigson will go defense this draft. I do think now that Grigson will use FA to fill vital starting positions and the draft will be BPA which will be mostly oline, Dlineman and safety which are the deep positions.

I like John Clayton, but he says some curious %

i like your point here.  it would be nice to get williams or hankins to play end, but we have to go corner if we don't get any help in free agency or all the good cbs are taken before 24

As an Aussie, I would love to see us pick up Jesse Williams--can you imagine the Colts with an Aussie DT--Superbowls for years

i like your point here.  it would be nice to get williams or hankins to play end, but we have to go corner if we don't get any help in free agency or all the good cbs are taken before 24

No they don't

Why burn a first rounder on Chapman's backup (Jesse Williams) or an inconsistent guy who was part of the most overrated defense in college football last year (Jenkins)? It's not that Williams is a bad prospect by any means, just doesn't make sense to go there round 1 with other, more glaring needs we could address.

Its because it's habit. The draft experts have for so long gone "Ok, what do the Colts need? Oh, a DT." when they do these mocks that it's a habit beaten into their heads.

They've forgotten Chapman, and rightfully so. He hasn't played a down yet, and he's still unproven, but I think the coaching staff realizes that DT is not actually a need, whereas the experts, who take a pasing glace at rosters and performance of the past season and say "What does this team need?" don't.

I doubt we draft, or sign a DT unless it's a world beating steal.

Josh is one of the reasons why I didn't mind us trading our 2nd rounder for Davis. In my mind he was a 2nd round pick last year for us. Back healthy he I look for him to contribute significantly with playing time and hopefully playing a solid NT. I would imagine we still look at DT/Secondary in this draft depending on what we do in free agency because Redding was banged up a lot and is getting long in the tooth and when he was out....we struggled I felt....plus the other side isn't locked down either. 

Chapman would have been 1st or 2nd round pick last year had he not had the ACL tear. So, I would think he's had plenty of time to heal now and would be back to 100%. I think it's unlikey that we take a NT at #24 unless the top prospect at the position is still sitting there and Grigson really likes him. Im thinking we are going to go CB or OLB but the draft is so wide open this year I've seen guys jumping all over the draft board. Case in point: Shariff Floyd. He's jumped all the way into the top 5. He was previously in the 20's.

Chapman was a beast and a half at Alabama, even when he was playing on a blown out knee.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do with a good knee under him again.

Not being stupid, But given his size and injury and the fact that he hasn't even participated in a training cap makes me think he has a long long ways to go before he is ready to make an impact on the field, Always good to have a backup plan

Not being stupid, But given his size and injury and the fact that he hasn't even participated in a training cap makes me think he has a long long ways to go before he is ready to make an impact on the field, Always good to have a backup plan

It should be some good DT's that go undrafted imo