Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the Dolphins

Flash7

At the beginning of the year, who would've thought that the Colts Vs Dolphins may have playoff implications? It makes this game much more exciting and important since it does. We have two rookie QB's that may face one another, if Tennehill can play. They have both led their teams to a 4-3 record and both squads are now in the playoff hunt. Here's what I see with the Dophins.

Offense:

They average 222 yard per game passing, while we average 288 yards per game passing. They average more rushing yards per game, however, we have a higher average per rush, so in other words, they like to run.

1. Tannehill has been surprisingly good. Matt Moore is a more than adequate back-up QB.

2. They have a group of receivers that are playing bigger than their names, Hartline, Bess, Fasano... who?? But they're productive and efficient.

3. Their O-line is very stout and they can mash. This will be a very big test for our D-line, and our run defense. Jake Long, Doug Martin and co. will look to run on our D all day.

4. They have a good one-two punch with their runningbacks-- Bush being the home run threat out of the backfield and catching screens.

Defense:

They have the fourth best run defense. They allow a total of just 82 rushing yards per game. Their front 7 is very good. Last week, against the Titans who haven't had much success rushing the passer, Luck was constantly harassed and sacked twice. I expect this game to be ugly in both our running game and passing game.

1. Their corners feed off of the success of their D-line. The team was confident enough in their corners to let Vontae Davis go.

2. They look to cause turnovers while tackling. In contrast, we're just happy making the tackle.

3. Carlos Dansby may be hurt and out for this game, which would be a break for us.

Special teams:

They made special teams plays and caused turnovers against the Jets to get ahead early. Overall, their special teams are average, but they are not scared to try trick plays.

I think that the Dolphins have been playing much better lately. This shuld be a good game that pits a good offensive team, the Colts, vs a good defensive team, the Dolphins. I expect it to be gritty and ugly, and a victory for the Colts.

What do you expect?

this game scares me. We are going to need green bay luck along with our much improved running game to show up if we are going to win Their defense is very physical like the jets and chicago. Their only weakness may be at quarterback. We will prob see matt moore. If we can shut down their running game and get pressure on moore and avoid mistakes we might win.

The Jets killed us and the Dolphins killed the Jets. Not too difficult to figure this one out. Hope I am wrong and home field advantage gives us the edge we need. If Mathis is back that will be a big boost.

the texans got beat by the packers, and we beat the packers.... so wait... that makes.... the jaguars the best team in the NFL!!!!

The Jets killed us and the Dolphins killed the Jets. Not too difficult to figure this one out. Hope I am wrong and home field advantage gives us the edge we need. If Mathis is back that will be a big boost.

football is about matchups and exploiting those matchups. that jets game wasn't as bad as it looked(rush defense was that bad though) and if two or three plays go our way its a whole different ball game. If Luck doesn't overthrow a wide open Allen in the flat with like 8 yards of open field in front of him on 3 and 1 on their 42 yard line thats at least a field goal and were up 3-0 after the first possesion but we end up punting. Jets punted that next drive, then we drove down to the goal line and we overthrow a wide open Fleener for a TD which would be 14-0 or 10-0 at the least early and that would changed the whole feel of the game as opposed to 3-0 after those drives. then the Jets started running wild.

I predicted a win before the season started.

Now, I confess Miami is much, much better than I (or most people) thought they'd be. Sort of similar to the Colts, frankly.

They're rebuilding at a faster rate with a lot of 'no name' players. Hard to know who they really are and what they'll be like in our house.

But this is a game we have to find a way to win. If they do a good job of slowing up our running game, it has to be at the expense of their pass defense.

It's a home game, and a chance for 3 wins in a row. You don't get that kind of chance too often. Must take advantage of it!!

"I'm going to be out a while," Vontae Davis said while crossing the locker room with a pronounced limp with a brace on his left knee. "Freak thing."

The Colts leading tackler, inside linebacker Jerrell Freeman, was wearing a protective boot on his left foot and ankle. "I'm good," said Freeman, who added an X-ray had been taken.

This is going to be a tough game. Physical running teams that have stout lines give us fits. Yeah, I know we shut down Chris Johnson, but I don't consider Tennessee having a good OLine. The Dolphins line is more like what the Jets did with us. The Colts will have their work cut out for them. I look for our offense to start strong to build a lead and maintain it.

Miami is a very good team. I expect that we won't be able to run the football, and Luck will be pressured a lot. We cannot lose the turnover battles, and need to contain Reggie Bush. Their WR's are bad, so I'm not too worried about them. Matt Moore and Ryan Tannehill are pretty much equal right now, the difference is Moore's experience.This is going to be a tough game, but Luck should have a good game and I think we'll pull it out.

At the beginning of the year, who would've thought that the Colts Vs Dolphins may have playoff implications? It makes this game much more exciting and important since it does. We have two rookie QB's that may face one another, if Tennehill can play. They have both led their teams to a 4-3 record and both squads are now in the playoff hunt. Here's what I see with the Dophins.

Offense:

They average 222 yard per game passing, while we average 288 yards per game passing. They average more rushing yards per game, however, we have a higher average per rush, so in other words, they like to run.

1. Tannehill has been surprisingly good. Matt Moore is a more than adequate back-up QB.

2. They have a group of receivers that are playing bigger than their names, Hartline, Bess, Fasano... who?? But they're productive and efficient.

3. Their O-line is very stout and they can mash. This will be a very big test for our D-line, and our run defense. Jake Long, Doug Martin and co. will look to run on our D all day.

4. They have a good one-two punch with their runningbacks-- Bush being the home run threat out of the backfield and catching screens.

Defense:

They have the fourth best run defense. They allow a total of just 82 rushing yards per game. Their front 7 is very good. Last week, against the Titans who haven't had much success rushing the passer, Luck was constantly harassed and sacked twice. I expect this game to be ugly in both our running game and passing game.

1. Their corners feed off of the success of their D-line. The team was confident enough in their corners to let Vontae Davis go.

2. They look to cause turnovers while tackling. In contrast, we're just happy making the tackle.

3. Carlos Dansby may be hurt and out for this game, which would be a break for us.

Special teams:

They made special teams plays and caused turnovers against the Jets to get ahead early. Overall, their special teams are average, but they are not scared to try trick plays.

I think that the Dolphins have been playing much better lately. This shuld be a good game that pits a good offensive team, the Colts, vs a good defensive team, the Dolphins. I expect it to be gritty and ugly, and a victory for the Colts.

What do you expect?

Doug martin plays for the florida team that is a couple hours north of miami. just lettin you know lol

honestly i believe this will be a tough game. our OLine needs to give Luck alittle more throwing time then what they did against the titans. but after all is said and done Cpt. Comeback will drive them down in the 4th to take a lead.

its a shame that Vontae wont be playing in this game. could have been a game he stepped up big in to prove to miami it was a mistake to trade him.

Indy wins 24-20

Well Mathis is suppose to be back and tannehill has been pretty impressive but I think he will be out they really stomped the jets and I rarely bid against the colts regardless but this its going to be a very hard win for us hopefully iam wrong and we win in fashion I say if we stop the run pretty much completely thin we should win

1.I think we need to mix up our blitz packages on him, try to give him looks he has never seen before (dont think thats Manusky's strong suit, looks to me he runs alot of the same things in my opinion to predictable)

2.Outside containment can not be broken

3.use alot of sweeps and draws with our running backs but start off testing there D Line to get them thinking power plays

4.Make them pay when the blitz, start off throwing short to go long, I feel like Arians is doing a better job of this the last week or 2

5.DONT go diving for Bushes feet, he is fast and once you miss (which we will if we do that) then Bush might as well be off to the races

6.Roll Luck out alot to get there D Line thinking stretch run and then use the middle of the field in the passing game with our Tight Ends and slants with receivers with an occasional deep shot off playaction

I am pretty much in agreement with everyone else here... Going to be a tough game. They match up to us like the Jets did. Here are what I see as the keys to a V-I-C-T-O-R-Y

1. We need to focus on stopping the run. Make Miami 1 dimensional and let Mathis/Hughes and Freeney get after the QB. Our CBs should be good enough to cover their WRs long enough to let the passrush develop.

2. Run, run and run some more. Gotta establish our run game early so it takes pressure off of Luck and slows their pass rush down. I like the combo of Brown/Ballard/Carter. I would say use Ballard and Carter early on to pound their line inside and then use Brown's speed after they are worn. Seemed to work well against the Titans at the end.

3. Be smart with the passing game and make safe throws. No need to try for the 50 yard strike right away. Screens, slants and comeback routes early on to help slow that pass rush.

4. I'd like to see some designed QB draw plays where Luck can use his legs to pick up yards. That will make the defence have to think about one more aspect of our Offence.

5. Clock management. No crazy time outs with 1 second left to try and force a punt which gave the other team a chance for a hail mary play.

That's what I see as the keys to success against Miamil...and every team really.

After the Titans game in the locker room, Arians told the players "We are something to be reckoned with". I believe he was setting a stage and planting a seed that communicated to the players we are ready to make a move to the playoffs. I think we are going to go out in front of our fans and play with playoff level intensity and pull this game out. There's a lot at stake.

I think this would be a hard task for us... just as hard as Packers were. We proved we can do it, and we must be reckoned.

My take on this game is:

+

• We have Luck
  • Most likely Mathis, Redding, angerer and Freeney will play, that means we have chance to rush the pass and limit them running
  • Luck has plenty targets (even RBs besides WRs and TEs) that makes our pass plays unpredictible,
  • Our run plays are getting better with blocking, Brow, Ballard and Carter were dangerous last Sunday
  • We play at LOS, so 12th man, it is up to You!

-

• This is a young team, so we are incosistent
  • Davis is out (we are thin on CBs).
  • D is sometimes struggling especially against run
  • We have problems in protecting Luck

The importance of this game is indicated by Pagano's sudden visit in Farm Burau Center, he knew it may be spirit lifting and give emotional plus for the team.

I don't possess stone of visdom, I don't have crystal ball to look into the future, so I caN't give key to victiory, but I'm hoping we can take them down, in a close and thrilling game.

GO COLTS!!!!

Tannehill should be ready to play, no structural damage...just bruises.

I thought I'd give you Colts fans a little opposing view on game week. Much like the Colts, the Dolphins season is surprising, not that the Dolphins were without talent, it just hadn't really blossomed, even though the Fins did finish strongly at the end of last year.

The Dolphins are perhaps a bit better than many of you seem to think, they have been in every game they have played this season. They had both the Cardinals, and the Jets(first meeting) beaten and lost both games in overtime due to their field goal kicker prior to their current 3 game winning streak. Most Dolphin fans rightly feel they should be 6-1, and even the opener with the Texans was a closely contested game if you take away 7 minutes of JJ Watt madness where he was batting balls left and right that turned into points for them.

The Dolphins are averaging 2 more points per game than Indy, and allowing more than 6 points less.

Somebody mentioned that Miami is winning with no names? Tannehill and Bush are high first round picks...the O-line boasts Jake Long, Mike Pouncey (both 1st round picks) and Jonathan Martin (Andrew Lucks blindside protector at Stanford).

The wideouts are very average, Hartline has really improved and Bess is a great slot guy posing as a wideout, the Indy game should see more play from newly acquired Jabbar Gaffney. This is an area they need to improve upon next off-season with the boatload of draft picks and cap space they will have.

The defense has been excellent, the front is one of the leagues best with Cameron Wake (not a no name) and former first round pick Jarred Odrick on the ends, huge Paul Soliai (Franchise Player) and Randy Starks in the middle. Olivier Vernon is a pass rusher(drafted this year) that is really coming on. The linebackers, led by Karlos Dansby are very active and can cover.

In the secondary, Sean Smith has blossomed and become a top notch corner, he is very large corner at 6'3" and can cover any sized receiver. On the other side, there was much concern with the trading of the under-achieving Vontae Davis about who would fill that spot. Richard Marshall was first up, he was a free agent signing from Arizona but got injured. That put the talented but raw Nolan Carroll on the spot, and he has responded very well. Our safety play has also been solidified by Reshad Jones and Chris Clemmons (Both home grown playerdrafted players).

So.....The key for the colts as I see it is can they keep the Dolphin front seven off of Luck. Your not going to run the football on Miami.

Defensively, you have to stop the Dolphins run game or this one will be over.

The Dolphins have played well on the road since the opener, beating the Bengals and Jets and letting one get away in overtime against Arizona. So I don't think the home field will matter much, maybe the dome noise will though.

Should be a good game, I'm hoping we will see the Tannehill/Luck showdown number #1.

Hi Everbody, i'm a new guy here and I'm writting from Bosnia, hope we win next two games and makes PO closer!

I like how our D played versus Johnson (Redding, Angerer, Freneey and Freeman - well done), but clown Hasselback was 22/29 that means our secondary is ugly, I'm afraid Tannehill and Gabbert could be looks like Manning in these games...

btw Reggie Wayne is greatest WR of all time!

Tannehill should be ready to play, no structural damage...just bruises.

I thought I'd give you Colts fans a little opposing view on game week. Much like the Colts, the Dolphins season is surprising, not that the Dolphins were without talent, it just hadn't really blossomed, even though the Fins did finish strongly at the end of last year.

The Dolphins are perhaps a bit better than many of you seem to think, they have been in every game they have played this season. They had both the Cardinals, and the Jets(first meeting) beaten and lost both games in overtime due to their field goal kicker prior to their current 3 game winning streak. Most Dolphin fans rightly feel they should be 6-1, and even the opener with the Texans was a closely contested game if you take away 7 minutes of JJ Watt madness where he was batting balls left and right that turned into points for them.

The Dolphins are averaging 2 more points per game than Indy, and allowing more than 6 points less.

Somebody mentioned that Miami is winning with no names? Tannehill and Bush are high first round picks...the O-line boasts Jake Long, Mike Pouncey (both 1st round picks) and Jonathan Martin (Andrew Lucks blindside protector at Stanford).

The wideouts are very average, Hartline has really improved and Bess is a great slot guy posing as a wideout, the Indy game should see more play from newly acquired Jabbar Gaffney. This is an area they need to improve upon next off-season with the boatload of draft picks and cap space they will have.

The defense has been excellent, the front is one of the leagues best with Cameron Wake (not a no name) and former first round pick Jarred Odrick on the ends, huge Paul Soliai (Franchise Player) and Randy Starks in the middle. Olivier Vernon is a pass rusher(drafted this year) that is really coming on. The linebackers, led by Karlos Dansby are very active and can cover.

In the secondary, Sean Smith has blossomed and become a top notch corner, he is very large corner at 6'3" and can cover any sized receiver. On the other side, there was much concern with the trading of the under-achieving Vontae Davis about who would fill that spot. Richard Marshall was first up, he was a free agent signing from Arizona but got injured. That put the talented but raw Nolan Carroll on the spot, and he has responded very well. Our safety play has also been solidified by Reshad Jones and Chris Clemmons (Both home grown playerdrafted players).

So.....The key for the colts as I see it is can they keep the Dolphin front seven off of Luck. Your not going to run the football on Miami.

Defensively, you have to stop the Dolphins run game or this one will be over.

The Dolphins have played well on the road since the opener, beating the Bengals and Jets and letting one get away in overtime against Arizona. So I don't think the home field will matter much, maybe the dome noise will though.

Should be a good game, I'm hoping we will see the Tannehill/Luck showdown number #1.

I wanted to quote this....very nice write up on the Dolphins. I was getting ready to study some statistics and some video and this helps me quite a bit.

I think knowledgeable Colts fans know that every game we play is a tough game, and the Dolphins going back to last year are on a very nice roll of solid football. Welcome to the forum, and thanks again for the 'preview of the Dolphins. Well done. :thmup:

I think this would be a hard task for us... just as hard as Packers were. We proved we can do it, and we must be reckoned.

My take on this game is:

+

• We have Luck
  • Most likely Mathis, Redding, angerer and Freeney will play, that means we have chance to rush the pass and limit them running
  • Luck has plenty targets (even RBs besides WRs and TEs) that makes our pass plays unpredictible,
  • Our run plays are getting better with blocking, Brow, Ballard and Carter were dangerous last Sunday
  • We play at LOS, so 12th man, it is up to You!

-

• This is a young team, so we are incosistent
  • Davis is out (we are thin on CBs).
  • D is sometimes struggling especially against run
  • We have problems in protecting Luck

The importance of this game is indicated by Pagano's sudden visit in Farm Burau Center, he knew it may be spirit lifting and give emotional plus for the team.

I don't possess stone of visdom, I don't have crystal ball to look into the future, so I caN't give key to victiory, but I'm hoping we can take them down, in a close and thrilling game.

GO COLTS!!!!

Well stated my friend! I am going to sound like a broken record...always do since we play ONE game at a time. We need improvement in ALL 3 phases of the game.

• Offense: Consistency in pass blocking schemes. Luck's % went down this past week as far as 'hits taken', but is getting 'hammered' way too much. I am wondering aloud if Satele is missing some line calls....Shipley? Continuous improvement in the run game....Brown, Ballard, and Carter. More TE sightings...it works going to Allen and Fleener. Allen appears to enjoy running over and through people....love it :)
  • Defense: Gap contain. Outside contain as well to avoid the big play capabilities of Bush. We also need to play press coverage. Our secondary looked at times like last year's team 7-10 yards of of the ball against the Titans. The game Hasselback had was very similar to Andy Dalton last year when he went 17-21 against us. Someone in this secondary needs to get a TAKEAWAY!!!! Fumble or INT!!!!!
  • Special Teams: We made major mistakes last week. Blocked kick: Unacceptable. The 18 yard punt return.....shoddy coverage. Two 'opportunities by Patty Mac to pin the Titan's deep....started at the 20. Love the kickoffs reaching the end zone again however. :thmup:

Our front seven looks pretty solid with the return of Mathis likely. Redding's leadership was huge...we need him! We need the sellout crowd of Colts fans to be the best 12th man in the league!! :applause: :clap: And lastly we need our 13th man, Coach Chuck Pagano to remain Chuck-Strong! Any time in this game we are down and out.....kick it up a notch for Coach and for yourselves!!! Coach is fighting...we can fight for 60 minutes. GO :blueshoe: :shoe: :helmet::coltshelmet::coltslogo::coltshorse::coltsfb::colts: :pass:

Edited by BrentMc11

1. Stop the Miami run and make them throw, that is how we can keep it close.
  2. Miami pass coverage is not stellar, they are in the bottom 10 in pass coverage numbers. All our WRs need to come to play to make the Miami run game less of a factor.
  3. Play solid special teams with no blunders that give easy scores for Miami

If we do all the above, we have a very good chance to win. If we dont do 2 out of the above 3, we probably lose, IMO.

I am 50-50 on this game.

Both are probably starting rookie QBs. ( Luck and Tannehill)

We have the advantage in the better running attack in Ballard, Brown, and Carter. While they have Bush and Thomas.

We have the more experienced receiving corps in Wayne, Avery, Hilton, Fleener, and Allen. While they have, well I don't know.

They have the better offensive line with Long & Pouncey. While our O-line is well...bad.

Defensively, I think we match up pretty evenly. They know how to stop the run and we have been holding the run pretty good the last couple weeks.

The X factors are the rookie QBs and how will they play against 2 good defenses. I think in order to win, one of the QBs need to throw for over 300 yards to win this game.

Lucas Oil will certainly be rocking and we do a lot better at home then we do on the road.

I expect a high scoring game Colts 31 Dolphins 27