Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't sleep on SF, this game is NOT a gimmie!

NewColtsFan

I know at first glance you can look at the 49ers record and see 0-4 and think they suck and we should win easily.

But I think that's very, VERY misleading.

What you may not know is that SF has lost their last 3 games by the grand total of......    8 points!     That's EIGHT points over three games!

The 49ers lost by 3, 2 and 3 in their last 3 games.      This team is dramatically improved.      A win tomorrow is NOT a lock.     The 9ers have talent.

Do I think we should win?     Yes --- home field advantage.       Do I think we WILL win?      Yes, the team knows it can't blow opportunities against an opponent it canb eat.

But it's not a lock.      I expect a tough, hard fought game that we win by maybe 4.....   something like 24-20.

And I won't feel confident until I see the clock show 0:00 and the Colts have more points.

Gotta have a win!!          :colts:

The Colts should probably win, only because of home field. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. They're going to need to actually score points, because I think the 9ers will get to 25 give or take a few points.

A blowout would be a unmitigated disaster and this team is capable of being blown out. That's what I'm hoping they avoid- a loss like the one to the Cardinals would be par for the course. 

The colts aren't good enough to take any game this season as a 'gimme'.

Brian Hoyer torched this team last year, and he must be very familiar with playing Indy from his Houston days. I expect him to play very well.

That being said, 27-20 Colts.

Hopefully the Steelers, Dolphins and Chiefs all beat Jacksonville, Tennesee and Houston respectively, so we could all be a tied at a sucky 2-3 haha.

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think anyone thinks this game is a gimme.   

I hope you're right...   I hope I've over-stated the case.   Perhaps a poor word choice on my part.

BUT....

If we find a way to lose its not hard to predict a huge number of posts that will note that we lost to a win-less team...   a team in the running for the first overall draft pick next year...   and on and on...

I'd like to avoid that if at all possible....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know at first glance you can look at the 49ers record and see 0-4 and think they suck and we should win easily.

What you may not know is that SF has lost their last 3 games by the grand total of......    8 points!     That's EIGHT points over three games!

The 49ers lost by 3, 2 and 3 in their last 3 games.      This team is dramatically improved.      A win tomorrow is NOT a lock.     The 9ers have talent.

Do I think we should win?     Yes --- home field advantage.       Do I think we WILL win?      Yes, the team knows it can't blow opportunities against an opponent it canb eat.

But it's not a lock.      I expect a tough, hard fought game that we win by maybe 4.....   something like 24-20.

And I won't feel confident until I see the clock show 0:00 and the Colts have more points.

Hardly a lock when only favored by 1.5

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Hardly a lock when only favored by 1.5

Interesting...   I thought I had read that we were favored by slightly more earlier in the  week...    Hmmmm?

Home field advantage is supposed to be worth three points and we're only favored by 1.5?!?    Not very encouraging....

:peek:

49 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

This is the NFL.

If anyone thinks any game is ever a 'gimme'

They know nothing about football.

In the 2000s I thought many games were gimmes,  and I was right far more often than not.   Those days are over,   at least for now

QB Brian Hoyer on intermediate passes — Hoyer’s reunion with Kyle Shanahan hasn’t exactly been smooth sailing through the first quarter of the season, with his 68.5 overall grade currently ranking 26th. A significant reason for Hoyer’s struggles has been an inability to connect on intermediate throws (those traveling between 10 and 19 yards in the air). His 55.2 passer rating on such throws ranks 30th, and only rookie DeShone Kizer has seen a higher percentage of his intermediate passes receive a negative grade than Hoyer’s 39.4 percent. Indianapolis has been especially stingy defending intermediate passes this season, allowing a 44.8 passer rating (second) and a 51.6 adjusted completion percentage (third).

• T Trent Brown vs. Edge Jabaal Sheard — Brown has been a revelation so far, earning a place on the PFF All-Pro Team through the first quarter of the season with an 85.7 overall grade that currently ranks fourth among tackles. His work in the run game has been much improved, but it’s really as a pass protector where he’s stood out. The massive right tackle has allowed just five total quarterback pressures (tied for sixth-fewest) on the season, including two games with a clean sheet. Brown will spend much of Sunday matched up with Sheard, whose 85.6 overall grade currently ranks 11th among 103 qualifying edge defenders. Sheard has rushed the passer from the left side of the defense on 60.5 percent of pass-rushes, recording 13 of his 17 total quarterback pressures from a left-side alignment.
  • 49ers zone running game vs. Colts front-seven — Kyle Shanahan is balancing his inside zone and outside zone usage more this season than he did with the Falcons (where he was more outside zone heavy) and it’s proven effective so far. San Francisco averaged 5.45 yards per attempt on zone runs (fourth) in the season’s opening month, including an impressive 2.52 yards before contact per attempt (fourth). Indianapolis was solid defending zone runs during the first three weeks, when they allowed 3.03 yards per attempt with just 0.77 coming before contact. Last week, however, was a different story, as the Seahawks ran roughshod over the Colts defense to the tune of 116 yards on 25 zone carries (4.64 per attempt), with 60 of those yards coming before contact.

I wouldn't sleep on this game if they were playing a division III college team. Until they prove otherwise, I have little faith.

But believe it or not, I do believe the near future looks really good for the Colts. It just hasn't manifested itself into wins so far. The glass is half full for me.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who and the hell would be sleeping on this game?

We have won a total of 1 game, and we barely held onto that victory against a team that has not won a game. 

We are a team capable of getting blown out by any team. 

Why is a thread like this even necessary?

Bizarro World!

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting...   I thought I had read that we were favored by slightly more earlier in the  week...    Hmmmm?

Home field advantage is supposed to be worth three points and we're only favored by 1.5?!?    Not very encouraging....

:peek:

Looks like the line opened at -2.5 and settled at 1.5 pretty quickly. No doubt the odds makers are not big fans of the Colts. Pretty much have us as the worst team in the league right now. But I guess if you consider we are staring NE's 3rd string QB and have a young turned over roster , it makes sense ? If we get Luck and the 2 O lineman back , it could turn pretty quickly IMO. 

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think anyone thinks this game is a gimme.   

I am still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would think that Colts fans believe we are a lock to win this game.

We are all hoping for a win, but I am sure all of us understand this could be another loss.

This thread is absolutely pointless. It’s like reading Mr. Obvious explain something to uncle Obvious. 

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Who and the hell would be sleeping on this game?

We have won a total of 1 game, and we barely held onto that victory against a team that has not won a game. 

We are a team capable of getting blown out by any team. 

Why is a thread like this even necessary?

Bizarro World!

If you look st the thread you'll see a post I made to JVan explaining that if we lose tomorrow there will likely be fans ripping Pagano for losing to a team that has not won a game,  losing to a team in the running for the top overall pick in the draft.

I was simply saying SF is a better team than their 0-4 record would indicate.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

If you look st the thread you'll see a post I made to JVan explaining that if we lose tomorrow there will likely be fans ripping Pagano for losing to a team that had not won a game,  losing to a team in the running for the top overall pick in the draft.

I was simply saying SF is a better team than their 0-4 record would indicate.

Who do you think is sleeping on the 49ers at Colts game? 

Did you seriously believe that any Colts fans were guaranteeing a victory over the 49ers? We are 1-3, and not a lock to beat any team right now. We are a team that needs to play scrappy to keep it close and hope the ball bounces our way in the end. 

Why in the hell do you believe it’s important to point out what all of us already know? Do you think everyone is clueless? Really?

Come on, Man!

42 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

No game with Pagano coaching is a gimme.  I expect either an embarrassing loss or a too close for comfort win.  It's what we usually get.  

It's all good. I believe we're closer than people think. I know it's a win-now league, but the moves we've made will pan out soon. I truly believe it.

Colts

by the #'s

Team:

71  | Points scored (25th)
134  | Points Allowed (32nd)
-65  | Net Points (32nd)
Offense:  
239  |Avg yards per game (31st)
4.4  | Avg yards per play (30th)
15  | Avg 1st downs per game (32nd)
341  | Total rushing yards (26th)
3.0  | Avg yards per rush (31st)
| Total TD's Receiving (t30th)
O-Line:  
14  |Total sacks allowed (27th)
30  | QB hits allowed (27th)
Defense:  
34  | Avg points against per game (32nd)
396.2  | Avg yards against per game (t-31st)
6.1  | Avg yards against per play (29th)
20.8  | 1st downs against per game (25th)
26  | 3rd downs against made (t-31st)
46  | % 3rd downs against made (t-26th)
451  | Total yards against rushing (22nd)
112.8  | Avg yards against rushing (22nd)
283.5  | Avg yards against passing (29th)

| Avg yards against per pass (30th)

2 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

With those numbers posted "Douzer" why is Pagano still coach of the Colts?

The answer to your question has been debated, argued, yelled and cussed for and against Pagano being still here has been going on for two years.

Where have you been?

Mod Note

I had to remove a number of posts in this topic because it descended into a personal argument that no one else needs to see. I shouldn't need to remind the more established posters of the rules. Attacking the topic/argument/post is fine, personal attacks are not. It seems to be a worrying trend on here right now when having no substantive rebuttal to a poster to fall back on calling them a troll. 

Can I also remind posters that having a large number of posts is in no way a indicator of a posters standing on these boards, nor is the number of likes. Quality vs quantity and all that, besides, it's sad that a system that is used as a way of posters to show their appreciation to others is being used a cosh to beat down other posters. I mean really... comparing likes.. it's just a urine production contest. Many people contribute to this board in many ways, and not all show up in the number of posts or likes. 

If you don't like a post or topic, either ignore it or find a constructive way to put forward your counter argument. Same as if someone says something that disagrees with you.