Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts REALLY trying to win a SB with Luck?

bluephantom87

Was watching First Take this morning (Wed 3/29/17) debating on Irsay's comment for the fans in Indy to be patient and that Chuck doesn't "per say" have to win this season to keep his job. Really? I like some of the moves Ballard has done so far by getting rid of some dead weight with the team such as big money Jones and Allen, a declining Jackson and a putrid McNary while retaining Doyle and Butler but I'm NOT a fan of all the 2nd and 3rd tier type of players brought in through FA. The new motto is now QUANTITY over QUALITY. This team STILL lacks PLAYMAKERS on defense. Maybe one or two of the players can come in and ball out but it puts more pressure on Ballard to knock it out the park in the draft to find those playmakers but then you're left with Chuck (who should've been released also) to develop them.

I'm of the mindset like most that the time is now for Luck in a weak but fast improving afc south. Like Pats owner Robert Kraft said you strive for the top EVERY year to give yourself a shot because nothing is promised ESPECIALLY with injuries. I'm not saying the Colts need to break the bank in FA at all but instead of signing seven or eight 2nd and 3rd tier type of players try mixing in one or two playmakers on defense. This whole notion of the Colts being in rebuild mode with the same subpar coach who was part of the problem in the first place is doing Luck no favor. Ballard is following Grigson as ANOTHER first time gm on the job tied to the hip with Chuck and only time will tell if he can do a better job than Grigs who by the way won the executive of the year in his first season but proved to be subpar as the talent level declined over the years. Now Colt fans will have to endure another season under Chuck (maybe more) and face a strong possibility of being in the cellar of the afc south with Andrew Luck at qb... :facepalm:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Was watching First Take this morning (Wed 3/29/17) debating on Irsay's comment for the fans in Indy to be patient and that Chuck doesn't "per say" have to win this season to keep his job. Really? I like some of the moves Ballard has done so far by getting rid of some dead weight with the team such as big money Jones and Allen, a declining Jackson and a putrid McNary while retaining Doyle and Butler but I'm NOT a fan of all the 2nd and 3rd tier type of players brought in through FA. The new motto is now QUANTITY over QUALITY. This team STILL lacks PLAYMAKERS on defense. Maybe one or two of the players can come in and ball out but it puts more pressure on Ballard to knock it out the park in the draft to find those playmakers but then you're left with Chuck (who should've been released also) to develop them.

I'm of the mindset like most that the time is now for Luck in a weak but fast improving afc south. Like Pats owner Robert Kraft said you strive for the top EVERY year to give yourself a shot because nothing is promised ESPECIALLY with injuries. I'm not saying the Colts need to break the bank in FA at all but instead of signing seven or eight 2nd and 3rd tier type of players try mixing in one or two playmakers on defense. This whole notion of the Colts being in rebuild mode with the same subpar coach who was part of the problem in the first place is doing Luck no favor. Ballard is following Grigson as ANOTHER first time gm on the job tied to the hip with Chuck and only time will tell if he can do a better job than Grigs who by the way won the executive of the year in his first season but proved to be subpar as the talent level declined over the years. Now Colt fans will have to endure another season under Chuck (maybe more) and face a strong possibility of being in the cellar of the afc south with Andrew Luck at qb... :facepalm:

Dear God...

This thread again? I've lost count of how many of these we've had so far....

The FA acquisitions aren't big names, but you're also not paying big money for someone's past production that you may never see. He signed a bunch of ascending talents that project to be very solid players at the least. The thing is, they're young and hungry. They want to outplay their mediocre contracts to earn a big pay day. Those are the kind of guys you build your foundation on. The guys that will fight to earn the starting job, not just assume the mantle because they're being paid big money. How about you let the season play out before post more of these nonsense threads?

Funny enough, most Pats signings are the types that we just made. 2nd or 3rd tier players brought in to play for peanus and with good coaching and culture elevate their play to 1st tier players. They've made like 3 exceptions in the past decade, though one of them was this very year.

Not sure if there has been a team that has moved on as quickly from as good and as many playmakers as the Pats have over the years too. Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones just in the past calendar year. Malcolm Butler might be following them soon.

I don't like all the signings we made but I like the overall philosophy.

I can't even... 

Really?

So let's say we get all of these top tier talents that are out there. What if they don't play to their potential? What if they end up getting injured? Who's to blame then? Ask the Miami Dolphins how their free agency spending sprees have turned out. As far as I know they still don't have a ring. 

You want to be like the Patriots right? Win lots of Superbowls for Andrew? You want Chuck gone because he seems to be the only reason we haven't won right? Well guess what. There aren't any other Bill Belichicks out there. He has defeated practically all of the other competition. Not even the west coast darling Pete Carroll could best him. I'm not a fan of Pagano, but I'm not going to sit here and believe we could have someone better at this very moment. We're in the same problem we were a year ago. There just isn't any high caliber coach available, or who is interested. 

And once again, as it has been stated so many friggin' times on this board: Who's to say we didn't try and get these so called "high quality" players. Maybe they declined? Hmm?  

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

You lost me at "I was watching 1st Take this morning"....   stopped reading after that

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

No, not really.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

35 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Halfway through the first paragraph I immediately started hoping I would see this post beneath it.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

You lost me at "I was watching 1st Take this morning"....   stopped reading after that

giphy.gif

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

embarrased.gif

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Finball said:

Funny enough, most Pats signings are the types that we just made. 2nd or 3rd tier players brought in to play for peanus and with good coaching and culture elevate their play to 1st tier players. They've made like 3 exceptions in the past decade, though one of them was this very year.

Not sure if there has been a team that has moved on as quickly from as good and as many playmakers as the Pats have over the years too. Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones just in the past calendar year. Malcolm Butler might be following them soon.

I don't like all the signings we made but I like the overall philosophy.

Strange thing to play for. 

1 hour ago, throwingbbzz said:

It takes better players than what Grigs and his Mentor Irsay delivered.
And player development has also been poor.
 All the muffs leave us very likely at the bottom of the South this season.
Now we try to do it better going forward. Life goes on.

I don't think Chuck is the guy for the job I didn't think that 2 years ago and I really don't think that now if Pagano doesn't win this season then irsay is an * if he keeps him again.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I can't even... 

Really?

So let's say we get all of these top tier talents that are out there. What if they don't play to their potential? What if they end up getting injured? Who's to blame then? Ask the Miami Dolphins how their free agency spending sprees have turned out. As far as I know they still don't have a ring. 

You want to be like the Patriots right? Win lots of Superbowls for Andrew? You want Chuck gone because he seems to be the only reason we haven't won right? Well guess what. There aren't any other Bill Belichicks out there. He has defeated practically all of the other competition. Not even the west coast darling Pete Carroll could best him. I'm not a fan of Pagano, but I'm not going to sit here and believe we could have someone better at this very moment. We're in the same problem we were a year ago. There just isn't any high caliber coach available, or who is interested. 

And once again, as it has been stated so many friggin' times on this board: Who's to say we didn't try and get these so called "high quality" players. Maybe they declined? Hmm?  

Ehhh there was no proven head coaches available but Kyle Shannahan's resume was extremely strong and we could have hired him.

I think ultimately if it's not working out with Pagano we'll have to hire someone who was a coordinator and hope that they can turn into a good head coach.  

Either that or we will have to go with a college head coach.  But we arn't getting Bellicheck and we arn't getting Harbaugh.  

The rest I agree with.  I don't want to be the team that tries to "win free agency" by signing a lot of big name players.  Because those teams don't usually win football games.  The teams that win football games are the teams that find their star players in the draft and just retain them.  

Obviously that means we have to draft well.  But we arn't gonna win by signing a lot of big name FA's.  

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm NOT a fan of all the 2nd and 3rd tier type of players brought in through FA. The new motto is now QUANTITY over QUALITY. This team STILL lacks PLAYMAKERS on defense. Maybe one or two of the players can come in and ball out but it puts more pressure on Ballard to knock it out the park in the draft to find those playmakers but then you're left with Chuck (who should've been released also) to develop them.

The majority of defensive players he's brought in so far have a couple things in common:

1) Most played on top 10 defensive units

2) Almost all of them were barely edged out by starters who were just slightly more productive

Those 2 things bode well for us. Just about all of them are significant upgrades to the players they're being brought in to replace, so by default, the defense is already better. They all know they're getting their shot to be starters here, have a chip on their shoulder, and will want to prove to their old teams that they should've gotten more of an opportunity.

I honestly don't understand what there is to be upset about regarding these signings, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Some fans just want to see the negativity and others hang hope on positivity.

This is the team and coach we have, constantly complaining about it, changes nothing except vitriolic banter.

WE are Colts fans, every new year brings promise. I choose to be positive regardless who the coach is like him or not.  We have a brand new draft class and more free agents to add to the team. I am sure we will all (most of us) at least be pumped after the draft. So much defensive talent its hard to miss.

We are only about 3 playmakers from this team retaking the AFC South so lets be excited about that