Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson complaints (merge)

danlhart87

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely do this, but I want to kind of point out some of the mantras the Colts live by in words, but never seem live by it enough in practice for my liking.  Some of this is Grigson and other parts of it are just the staff in general.

Mantra #1  "You Can Never Have Enough Pass Rushers"

This is the  biggest area that I'm unsatisfied with Grigs is putting competent pass rushers on the team.  He's always quotes the old adage about how "you can never have enough pass rushers". "If you have 3 then get 4.  If you have 5 then get 6", but yet we never have any pass rushers!

Mantra#2  "Run The Ball.  Stop The Run"

They've done an okay job with the D Line, but it seems fundamental to me if you're going to run a 3-4 defense you need some solid talent in your linebacking corps.  Yet we are still waiting on that area to be addressed.

Mantra#3  "Protect  12"

I give him credit for addressing the offensive line, but my main complaint here is I don't think we do a good enough job with our schemes and adjusting to what's happening in game to reduce Lucks exposure to hits.    Not enough emphasis on the run game like we should.   Especially when we are clearly opening up holes. There were some nice sized holes we created against KC, but we seem to have this allergy to just lining up and pounding the rock for a few series to tire out the defense and control the clock.  Instead we do it for 2 or 3 plays and then get back to launching the football down field, the protection breaks down and the result is a three and out.  If you see the tackles are getting smoked in the 2 minute offense why not get more into the ground game, play action from under center. If you're going to stick with this 2 minute offense how about implementing more plays that invite pressure and roll with some consecutive draws, screens, and hitches? We've got 3 solid receivers so why not go with more max protections?  We don't always need the tight ends out in the pattern.   I'm not seeing enough done schematically and strategically to limit some of the issues.

Mantra #4  "We Want An Agressive Attacking Defense"

Then why are we playing so much soft zone and being selective about bringing pressure?  Seemed to me almost every single time we brought some heat against KC it disrupted the pass and knocked off the timing.

Too much lip service going on to me.

Grigson seems to be too enamored with physical traits as opposed to football skills. Philip Dorsett has great straight line speed yet I don't see much of a route tree from him and this is his second year. TJ Green has great speed yet he was rated near the bottom in coverage in college by PFF. Le'Raven Clark was apparently drafted for his length and extremely long arms yet playing out of a 3-point stance is foreign to him.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:17 AM, krunk said:

I rarely do this, but I want to kind of point out some of the mantras the Colts live by in words, but never seem live by it enough in practice for my liking.  Some of this is Grigson and other parts of it are just the staff in general.

This is the  biggest area that I'm unsatisfied with Grigs is putting competent pass rushers on the team.  He's always quotes the old adage about how "you can never have enough pass rushers". "If you have 3 then get 4.  If you have 5 then get 6", but yet we never have any pass rushers!

They've done an okay job with the D Line, but it seems fundamental to me if you're going to run a 3-4 defense you need some solid talent in your linebacking corps.  Yet we are still waiting on that area to be addressed.

Mantra#3  "Protect  12"

I give him credit for addressing the offensive line, but my main complaint here is I don't think we do a good enough job with our schemes and adjusting to what's happening in game to reduce Lucks exposure to hits.    Not enough emphasis on the run game like we should.   Especially when we are clearly opening up holes. There were some nice sized holes we created against KC, but we seem to have this allergy to just lining up and pounding the rock for a few series to tire out the defense and control the clock.  Instead we do it for 2 or 3 plays and then get back to launching the football down field, the protection breaks down and the result is a three and out.  If you see the tackles are getting smoked in the 2 minute offense why not get more into the ground game, play action from under center. If you're going to stick with this 2 minute offense how about implementing more plays that invite pressure and roll with some consecutive draws, screens, and hitches? We've got 3 solid receivers so why not go with more max protections?  We don't always need the tight ends out in the pattern.   I'm not seeing enough done schematically and strategically to limit some of the issues.

Then why are we playing so much soft zone and being selective about bringing pressure?  Seemed to me almost every single time we brought some heat against KC it disrupted the pass and knocked off the timing.

I think Mantra #'s 3 & 4 are on the coaching staff.  That's coaching and in game play calling.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:17 AM, krunk said:

Mantra#3  "Protect  12"

I agree. Seems like whatever Grigson/Pagano and staff say, the exact opposite happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:17 AM, krunk said:

Mantra#3  "Protect  12"

good post and  good points

Grigson can't leave town fast enough. Pagano has been pretty bad too, but its hard to fault him when he's dealing with a complete lack of talent on both sides of the ball. Our 3-4 scheme is obselete when we have below average LBs across the board. Our secondary is a total wash outside of Vontae whos playing on one leg. Would love to have a shutdown corner like Xavier Rhodes on the team, too bad Grigson thought Bjeorn Werner was the better pick (lol). An MVP caliber ballhawk safety like Landon Collins would be nice too wouldn't it? Oh yeah Grigson went with Phillip Dorsett instead (lol). What a season he's having. But then to turn around the next year and waste a second rounder on a science experiment like Green, who probably would have been available in the 4th or 5th round was the ultimate slap in the face. No need to even bring up the Trent Richardson trade. Who is to be held accountable  for this mess?

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Well, we have a lot of problems...With a weak O-line that a college team could blow through and a defensive secondary that couldn't stop a nosebleed, we need to build better.  The next fix is to replace the HC and GM with proven talent.  I have a lot of respect for Pagano but he needs to go.  If a HC cannot get PRO football players to do the fundamentals, all of the trickery and gimmick plays won't get your team far.  His play calling and team preparation is lacking.  The GM in my opinion is seriously lacking talent and judgement in finding good players to play... Not going to bring up Richardson either, we know that was a total failure from the get-go.

On 11/1/2016 at 9:49 AM, GoBlue12 said:

Grigson seems to be too enamored with physical traits as opposed to football skills. Philip Dorsett has great straight line speed yet I don't see much of a route tree from him and this is his second year. TJ Green has great speed yet he was rated near the bottom in coverage in college by PFF. Le'Raven Clark was apparently drafted for his length and extremely long arms yet playing out of a 3-point stance is foreign to him.

I think there is a lot of merit to this comment. The problem is when the measurables don't translate to football and game performance. With the mismatch between the coaching and the GM we have a lose - lose proposition because we can't translate potential into performance. That seems to be the constant.

Year One of the Grigsonian Period- 1st Pick-Andrew Luck

Year Two-Bjoern Werner.

Year Three-No first pick (Mewhort was our 2nd pick).

Year Four-Phillip Dorsett  (good but replaceable).  \

Year Five-Clark

The Andrew Luck pick was a given, though some did want RGIII.

Werner, IMO, was more fitted for a 4-3 DE, which we didn't run (we did get rid of Jerry Hughes, who could have been a great OLB for us in the new defensive scheme). Having no pick after the Richardson trade was painful.  An O-lineman or other position of need could have been drafted.  Dorsett has been ok for us but we could have gone with a FA.  Clark has been a good pick and ideally, will help solidify the line.

My point is that we had three years in there where an O-lineman or Pass Rush could have been sought out.  I think Dorsett will be ok, but other than that, those years were a waste and it set us back.  

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

Year One of the Grigsonian Period- 1st Pick-Andrew Luck

Year Two-Bjoern Werner.

Year Three-No first pick (Mewhort was our 2nd pick).

Year Four-Phillip Dorsett  (good but replaceable).  \

Year Five-Clark

The Andrew Luck pick was a given, though some did want RGIII.

Werner, IMO, was more fitted for a 4-3 DE, which we didn't run (we did get rid of Jerry Hughes, who could have been a great OLB for us in the new defensive scheme). Having no pick after the Richardson trade was painful.  An O-lineman or other position of need could have been drafted.  Dorsett has been ok for us but we could have gone with a FA.  Clark has been a good pick and ideally, will help solidify the line.

My point is that we had three years in there where an O-lineman or Pass Rush could have been sought out.  I think Dorsett will be ok, but other than that, those years were a waste and it set us back.  

The first pick in year five was Ryan Kelly.  Le'Raven Clark was a 3rd round pick.  I'm sure you were thinking of the right person, just typed the wrong name.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The first pick in year five was Ryan Kelly.  Le'Raven Clark was a 3rd round pick.  I'm sure you were thinking of the right person, just typed the wrong name.

Yes, I was.  Thank you.   I'm not sure why I typed Clark....I was picturing Kelly as I typed it.

On 11/25/2016 at 9:37 PM, BloodyChamp said:

To include the Peyton teams in that statement is just ignorenet on his part.  They have already produced three Hall of Famers besides Peyton not to mention everything those teams accomplished.  If Peyton was that great to do it all by himself there is no debate about who the GOAT is,  Brady goes out and the Pats are 14-6 without him, according to this Peyton Manning single handled took a winless franchise and won 12 games year in and out by himself.  Sorry, with all due respect to Peyton that's not how it went down.  While Peyton was by far the best player he had lots of talent around him too.

The Colts of today is a different story.  They have Hilton and Davis as the only other superstars outside of the kickers.  Still guy loses credibility by trying to lump the Manning teams in with this team.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Remember when people were saying the Dorsett pick was good?

As a Miami fan I was trying to talk myself into that pick. "Everything will be alright, TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are the quickest trio in the league, just dink and dunk and get tons of YAC like the Pats do. Death by thousand papercuts, it will work bc Luck has no time to drop back and set up so he can get rid of the ball in no time now, now maybe we can finally play up to New England's standards."

Like many others here, I wanted Landon Collins. Now back to being * off about it.

This is a legit thread. All Colts fans should be on board with this. Grigson has whiffed on too many first round picks and free agents so we are going to miss the playoffs again barring a miracle. 

The Irsay's should be doing everything they can to get Peyton Manning here to to be the GM, even if that means keeping on Grigson as the assistant GM while Peyton is the figure head with the final decision. Peyton made this franchise and only he can turn it around like Elway in Denver.

So Peyton please come home and Irsay do the right thing! Let's make this happen. Luck and Peyton on commercials would be a marketing miracle for a league that is losing viewers at the moment. It would also be a way for Peyton to redeem himself here if he could win multiple rings with Luck at the helm of his masterpiece roster.

14 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

This is a legit thread. All Colts fans should be on board with this. Grigson has whiffed on too many first round picks and free agents so we are going to miss the playoffs again barring a miracle. 

The Irsay's should be doing everything they can to get Peyton Manning here to to be the GM, even if that means keeping on Grigson as the assistant GM while Peyton is the figure head with the final decision. Peyton made this franchise and only he can turn it around like Elway in Denver.

So Peyton please come home and Irsay do the right thing! Let's make this happen. Luck and Peyton on commercials would be a marketing miracle for a league that is losing viewers at the moment. It would also be a way for Peyton to redeem himself here if he could win multiple rings with Luck at the helm of his masterpiece roster.

merged your thread here

So my post was closed because it was about the GM and coach but my question was serious.

What would it cost to get rid of Pagano and Grigson?  Does anyone know anything about their contracts that could shed some light on what it would take?