Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson complaints (merge)

danlhart87

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

So my post was closed because it was about the GM and coach but my question was serious.

What would it cost to get rid of Pagano and Grigson?  Does anyone know anything about their contracts that could shed some light on what it would take?

I don't know the actual numbers... But IMO whether they stay or go isn't about the money. If Irsay wants them gone a few million dollars is not going to stop him from firing them. 

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, esmort said:

I don't know the actual numbers... But IMO whether they stay or go isn't about the money. If Irsay wants them gone a few million dollars is not going to stop him from firing them. 

yeah it's not about the money.. he just extended them he's not gonna make himself look dumb and already fire them. Just a terrible situation. 

I guess in my mind he looks dumber if he keeps them.  They have had plenty of time to build a decent - not even a superbowl contender - but a decent team.  It hasn't happened.

I believe Jeff Fisher got an extension and they let him go.  Looks smarter to say, "Hey, I gave them one more shot - a complete vote of confidence - and it didn't work."

If you do what you always did you will get what you always got.

7 hours ago, Olin_Bradley said:

if Irsay does allow them to stay i hope this years draft we focus on the o-line

Did you miss the last draft?  Although it is still needs work,  most of the o-line pieces are potentially there and hopefully will be better after another offseasson/training  camp to work things out.  IMO Defense needs to be the concentration this off season/draft. It would be nice to have a pass rush. 

8 hours ago, esmort said:

Did you miss the last draft?  Although it is still needs work,  most of the o-line pieces are potentially there and hopefully will be better after another offseasson/training  camp to work things out.  IMO Defense needs to be the concentration this off season/draft. It would be nice to have a pass rush. 

A final piece at right guard and we could have our OL set for the next few years.  I'm not sure if that's Haeg or Blythe or perhaps a draft pick or free agent.

Castonzo/Clark, Mewhort, Kelly, ???, Castonzo/Clark

On 12/21/2016 at 4:04 PM, Olin_Bradley said:

if Irsay does allow them to stay i hope this years draft we focus on the o-line

We spent 4 of our 8 draft picks in the 2016 draft on the o-line.     And at least 3 of them could be hits,   Possibly big hits.        And you want more?

I think you should probably expect hat most of this draft is going to focus on defense.....     where we are currently ranked around 28th altering ranked around 30th for most of the season.....

On 12/12/2016 at 3:17 PM, gspdx said:

So my post was closed because it was about the GM and coach but my question was serious.

What would it cost to get rid of Pagano and Grigson?  Does anyone know anything about their contracts that could shed some light on what it would take?

3 years of contract for both....

I'd guess roughly 15-25 Mill.....    it depends on what they're making and what their buy-out is....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

We spent 4 of our 8 draft picks in the 2016 draft on the o-line.     And at least 3 of them could be hits,   Possibly big hits.        And you want more?

I think you should probably expect hat most of this draft is going to focus on defense.....     where we are currently ranked around 28th altering ranked around 30th for most of the season.....

I agree, we have to hope this years crop pans out which I think Kelly will. Now I say go for Defense. The O.Line has already shown signs of getting better lately.

On 11/25/2016 at 6:37 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I'd be embarrassed to write that and sign my name to it.

The ultimate team game and he thinks the Colts only succeed because of Manning and Luck.     20 years of high quality play due to two guys......

And he covers football for a living?       Oh Dear God.....     :facepalm:

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The ultimate team game and he thinks the Colts only succeed because of Manning and Luck.     20 years of high quality play due to two guys......

Ya...you are the winningest NFL team of the 2000's by being a poorly run team....that seems about right. 

Why does nobody look around and see that every other team with a first ballot HOF QB is up and down....except for the Colts and Pats of the Manning/Brady era.

Unbelievable 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah according to his tweet, Peyton and Andrew must be the best QB's ever to play then. I didn't know 1 player could get you to a bunch of AFC Title Games and Peyton even won a SB/got to 2. That Tweet is perhaps the dumbest Tweet I have ever read. Since the 1995 Season we have been to 5 AFC Title Games/Harbaugh even got us to 1, been to 2 SB's, and won a SB + have the 2nd most Regular Season wins out of 32 teams since that 95 Season.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To play Devil's advocate.....

Peyton Manning played in Indy from 1998 to 2010, spanning 13 years.  In those 13 years, the team made 2 Super Bowl (Saints and Bears) and won one.  Peyton played in Denver from 2012 to 2015, spanning 4 years.  In those 4 years, the team made it to 2 Super Bowls (Seahawks and Panthers) and won one.  It took three times as long for the Colts to accomplish what Denver did.  We all know Peyton is/was an all-time talent, but the Colts didn't put enough pieces around him to win as much as they should have.  In fact, look at this thread (http://forums.colts.com/topic/49380-this-belongs-on-irsays-fridge/) and notice how many games Peyton has won despite having a bad defense.

Now let's look at Luck's time here.  Sure, there has been some playoff success.  But the team isn't anywhere near a contending roster, as it should be.  It's been 5 years since Pagano and Grigson have been talking about "Protect(ing) 12" and building the monster.  But the defense remains porous, game plans remain inconsistent, Luck continues to get hit, and the team has plenty of holes.  Looking back at the link from above again, we see that Luck has 33 wins in his 5(ish) years playing here with a bad defense.  That's ahead of other guys who have been in the league for several years longer, like Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Phillip Rivers.  That shows two things: a) Luck can win despite a bad team around him because of how talented he is, and b) Luck has had a bad team around him for pretty much his entire professional career.  Brady has been playing three times as long and Luck still beats him in wins with a bad defense.  This can be because either a) Brady isn't talented and can't win without a good defense (which is wrong because Brady is exceptionally talented), or b) Brady has had a good team around him and hasn't had as many games with a bad defense.

There have been plenty of regular season wins because we can beat up on weak teams in our division and play other bad teams, but when it gets to the playoffs and you're playing the best teams in the league, the Colts don't have much to show for it.  So despite elite talent at QB for nearly two decades, the Colts have one Super Bowl victory to show for it, and the team is still a year or two away from contending for another one.  Let me emphasize this: I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the tweet.  I just think that's what the tweet is meant to say.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

To play Devil's advocate.....

Peyton Manning played in Indy from 1998 to 2010, spanning 13 years.  In those 13 years, the team made 2 Super Bowl (Saints and Bears) and won one.  Peyton played in Denver from 2012 to 2015, spanning 4 years.  In those 4 years, the team made it to 2 Super Bowls (Seahawks and Panthers) and won one.  It took three times as long for the Colts to accomplish what Denver did.  We all know Peyton is/was an all-time talent, but the Colts didn't put enough pieces around him to win as much as they should have.  In fact, look at this thread (http://forums.colts.com/topic/49380-this-belongs-on-irsays-fridge/) and notice how many games Peyton has won despite having a bad defense.

Now let's look at Luck's time here.  Sure, there has been some playoff success.  But the team isn't anywhere near a contending roster, as it should be.  It's been 5 years since Pagano and Grigson have been talking about "Protect(ing) 12" and building the monster.  But the defense remains porous, game plans remain inconsistent, Luck continues to get hit, and the team has plenty of holes.  Looking back at the link from above again, we see that Luck has 33 wins in his 5(ish) years playing here with a bad defense.  That's ahead of other guys who have been in the league for several years longer, like Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Phillip Rivers.  That shows two things: a) Luck can win despite a bad team around him because of how talented he is, and b) Luck has had a bad team around him for pretty much his entire professional career.  Brady has been playing three times as long and Luck still beats him in wins with a bad defense.  This can be because either a) Brady isn't talented and can't win without a good defense (which is wrong because Brady is exceptionally talented), or b) Brady has had a good team around him and hasn't had as many games with a bad defense.

There have been plenty of regular season wins because we can beat up on weak teams in our division and play other bad teams, but when it gets to the playoffs and you're playing the best teams in the league, the Colts don't have much to show for it.  So despite elite talent at QB for nearly two decades, the Colts have one Super Bowl victory to show for it, and the team is still a year or two away from contending for another one.  Let me emphasize this: I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the tweet.  I just think that's what the tweet is meant to say.

His Tweet is implying we wouldn't of been a Great franchise without Peyton and Luck, actually his words were DECENT franchise. That may be right but heck I can say that about the Broncos then had they not had Elway and Peyton. I can say that about every team if I took away their franchise QB's that has had great success. Bottomline is we have been not only been a Good/Decent franchise going back to the 2000 Season, we have been a Great franchise. That is going back since the 2000's started when Peyton was entering just his 3rd season. Only 4 teams have won more SB's than we have since 2000 = Patriots, Steelers, Giants, and Ravens. We have the 2nd most Regular Season wins since the 2000 Season as well, only the Patriots have more. When any team sustains Great success for 15 seasons like we have done from 2000-2014 then we aren't poorly ran. The last 2 seasons have been mediocre but it happens at times, Steelers have had several seasons where they have missed the Playoffs in the Ben era - it happens to the best franchises. We have clearly been a Top 5 franchise since the 2000's began and the overall wins + the SB Title validates that. So his Tweet makes no sense IMO. I think a lot of our fanbase and media gets way to critical at times of the team and expects us to win the SB every year LOL. It doesn't work like that. Patriots went from 2004 to 2014 without winning a SB and they have BB and Brady.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only 4 teams have won more SB's than we have since 2000 = Patriots, Steelers, Giants, and Ravens.

Kudos to the Ravens. They have only missed the playoffs 6 times out of the last 16 years with QB's named Banks, Dilfer, Grbac, Blake, Redman, Boller, Wright, McNair and Flacco, while having to play Steelers and Bengals twice a season. Not bad.

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Kudos to the Ravens. They have only missed the playoffs 6 times out of the last 16 years with QB's named Banks, Dilfer, Grbac, Blake, Redman, Boller, Wright, McNair and Flacco, while having to play Steelers and Bengals twice a season. Not bad.

Yeah out of the 4 teams that won more, they have had the worst combo of QB's but they also had Ray Lewis on the other side of the ball. Ray Lewis was the ultimate QB on Defense.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only 4 teams have won more SB's than we have since 2000 = Patriots, Steelers, Giants, and Ravens.

Just to comment on this, the point of the tweet was that we've had Peyton and Luck.  Let's leave the Pats out of this and focus on the three other teams.  While Flacco, Eli, and Big Ben are all good QBs, none of them are on the level of an elite Peyton Manning.  So those teams were able to win multiple championships without a guy like Peyton Manning whereas the Colts won one with Peyton.  Again, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this line of reasoning, but the point of the tweet was that we've been fortunate enough to have two of the best QBs since 2000 and we have just one Super Bowl to show for it.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just to comment on this, the point of the tweet was that we've had Peyton and Luck.  Let's leave the Pats out of this and focus on the three other teams.  While Flacco, Eli, and Big Ben are all good QBs, none of them are on the level of an elite Peyton Manning.  So those teams were able to win multiple championships without a guy like Peyton Manning whereas the Colts won one with Peyton.  Again, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this line of reasoning, but the point of the tweet was that we've been fortunate enough to have two of the best QBs since 2000 and we have just one Super Bowl to show for it.

I get the point of the Tweet but I still think it's wrong to say we have been masquerading around like we are a Decent franchise because we only 1 SB with Peyton and now Luck. I guess to that point the Dolphins were garbage then the whole time they had Dan Marino? Which is completely false, they had Coaches like Shula and Jimmy Johnson and Marino never won a SB. That kind of Tweet he sent sounds like to me he just likes hating on the Colts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 2:40 AM, esmort said:

I agree this draft needs to be about building the defense, throughout.  Pass rush, linebackers and depth in the secondary.  Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a top RB in there.  

On 12/14/2016 at 2:51 PM, david johnson said:

irsay will have to pay both either way. its over for grigson and chuck. the two were getting divorced, and irsay decided they should have a baby and stay together. jim harbaugh will be our next coach

lol...I'm just gonna leave this right here for you:

pipe dream
noun
noun: pipe dream; plural noun: pipe dreams; noun: pipedream; plural noun: pipedreams
  1. an unattainable or fanciful hope or scheme.
    synonyms: fantasy, false hope, illusion, delusion, daydream, chimera; More

On 12/22/2016 at 10:34 PM, jseg18 said:

I know it's been mentioned. I can't believe Grigs didn't pull the trigger on Collins. It gets me thinking he had his eyes on Geathers the whole way.

I could not agree more. It makes me very angry that we drafted Dorsett over Collins, especially with Collins performing much better this season. 

On 1/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Coltsfan50 said:

I think if the players have a strong playing ability to win, and win smart, it doesn't matter who the GM is. Why do the Patriots win games season after season? Its the players on the field making the plays work.

Or....maybe....it's because BB plays no games when it comes to his players doing their jobs. You would never see BB calling a broken trick play on 4th down just like you would never see the Pats draft something they don't need. 

The Colts FO is horrendous because Irsay thinks a star QB is all you need to win championships, meanwhile the Pats know that defense and special teams play a crucial part as well.