Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade 2nd Round Pick for Vontae Davis [Merge]

mark5362

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Jason Allen who was with the Texans last year is going to be playing in the final pre-season game. Normally if you are playing in that game you are on the bubble. If he gets cut it might even be worth a look because he played pretty solid last year, the only thing that was really stopping him was that Kareem Jackson was picked so high they just couldn't play Allen over Jackson.

He's already well versed in the 3-4 defense. He could be even more depth for us.

yup, remember them talking about it during his combine.

Yeah, I remember reading that in an article talking about brother's that were in the NFL.

I only know that because the guy from the Fox pregame show, he is like the JB for Fox I don't know his name, said so just before. haha

We have a top 10 QB of the future (Luck), 2 of the possible top 10 TE's of the future (Fleener & Allen), a top 10 LB of the future (Angerer), and a top 5 CB of the future (Davis). The future is looking bright. With another great draft, we may have a Super Bowl team of the future. I like the way this team is being built....on BOTH sides!

Next is wallace... I called this yesterday. Im still thinking Colts will send a 1 and a 3 for wallace and if not wallace will def be a colt next year when FA

The Steelers can still tag Wallace next year. He might not be a free agent. I would tag him if I were them.

you know what at first i tought a second is too high and he has an attitude...but that kid is talented, and when thinking about it... I know people here a super positive and all that but we gonna have a top 5-7 pick next year, this team is not going to the playoffs, im thinking girgsons plan is to trade down and we will get our 2nd pick back eventually. we are young and we need all our picks, but having not to go next draft with an obvios and ridiculous need at CB certainly helps.

does anyone know what picks we have left in next year? im confused

I think Davis is a top 10 CB if he develops more and really blossoms in this system he will be a top 5 CB. I'm still shocked at the MIA front office...the hardest spot to find on a DEF is a corner. Sure you can find someone to fill in but a true corner that people will have to at least worry about throwing against? This is a big move...sure cry me a river about the draft picks IDK. As a GM you do what you can to improve the team. I think once people realize that this is a big move they will start to understand that what was given up for a player of Davis's caliber is worth it.

lmao at comparing him to Cromartie are you serious? Cromartie is a freak but Davis is a bull and will hit you in the mouth and covers well. Whats the sense of having a good cover corner and they shy away from tackling or contact in general. I hope he picks up the DEF quickly because we need him. We need one more corner like this so Powers can play the position tailored for him Nickle CB

I haven't got a close look at the Miami defense but when you pick up players like Richard Marshall it sounds like to me that they may be transitioning to a Cover 2 defense. Not a good fit for Davis perhaps

Great trade takes a weakness and makes it into a strength. A 2nd round pick next season wont help us win the south this year and make a play for the Super Bowl. When a team is close like this one should be you go for it if possible.

Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

I like the trade, I just worry about the things that made Davis fall out of favor in Miami following him here....

Love the trade!

Would have hated a player around the 30 years of age coming in for a high draft pick. But it's not the case.

Young, proven cornerback for a 2nd. Colts had to go high in next years draft for a cornerback. Scratch that now. I highly doubt any of the corners available in the 2nd round will turn out better than Vontae Davis, and Davis is signed VERY cheaply for the next two years!

Focus can now shift to the offensive and defensive line.

Love the trade!

Would have hated a player around the 30 years of agecoming in for a high draft pick. But it's not the case.

Young, proven cornerback for a 2nd. Colts had to go high in next years draft for a cornerback. Scratch that now. I highly doubt any of the corners available in the 2nd round will turn out better than Vontae Davis, and Davis is signed VERY cheaply for the next two years!

Focus can now shift to the offensive and defensive line.

Amen. Now its up to Pagano, the DC & CB coach.

We have a top 10 QB of the future (Luck), 2 of the possible top 10 TE's of the future (Fleener & Allen), a top 10 LB of the future (Angerer), and a top 5 CB of the future (Davis). The future is looking bright. With another great draft, we may have a Super Bowl team of the future. I like the way this team is being built....on BOTH sides!

Don't forget a top ten OT of the future (Castonzo).

I like the trade, I just worry about the things that made Davis fall out of favor in Miami following him here....

Too much crap to get into in Miami - some of the issues surrounding Davis were off the field from what I've always heard (partying, staying out late on game days, etc). Indianapolis might be the place for him - small market, stable ownership, and a team on the rise with a great young QB.

The key is getting solid players and people that fit your scheme...this was a 4-3 team built to play with a lead so you'd think the transition to a 3-4 hybrid scheme wouldnt happen over night. Don't get too caught up in having a top 10 talent at each position. Impact players will do just fine. Also calling Angerer at future top 10 LB is a bit of a stretch. Sure people like throwing out the Zack Thomas label but he isn't Zack. With the play of Freeman and Conner you can see he can be replaced with little of to no let down. I think the true Mike for this DEF isnt on the roster yet.

I hope it is in 2014. If that is the case, it will make me feel better.

Technique and skill can be elevated with coaching, work ethic can only be changed so much. Our secondary is still relatively young enough that there are not many vets that will keep Vontae Davis in check if he is dogging it. That is why the 3rd rounder would have offset our risk, IMO. If it is a 3rd rounder and if Vontae Davis keeps dogging it, you can cut him and deal with the loss better, not so much with a 2nd rounder.

You can squabble over price all day long. But, it seems to me that he is a first rounder that has played like a first rounder, is 24 years old at a position of need. Is it a bad deal to give up a second round draft pick for a proven young player when you'd have to give up a 1st to actually draft similar talent....and then still hope that they are good enough to transition to the NFL? Don't see how that is ever a bad deal. Doesn't mean it will work out, just seems like a good value proposition. It is a high price by trade standards in the NFL, no doubt about it, but seems to match up with talent and production. In fact, the leagues trend toward never giving up high picks in trade may not actually be that wise - it is just a trend and that doesn't make it right. Valuing potential over production is a long standing dillema - I'm willing to role the dice with production. Character issues can be a risk with guys we might draft also - that seems like a wash.

Grigs got :edit: Not worth a 2nd rounder. Cromartie went to Jets for 3rd rounder and he is a better CB!!! Should have hard balled for 3rd rounder based on history.

This move reeks of desperation, IMO!!! I am not happy we gave up a 2nd rounder. Just my two cents!!!

Agreed, a 3rd rounder I could have gotten on board with ... We have so many other holes I do not see this move as having a significant enough impact to warrant a 2nd round pick (especially since ours is likely to be a very high 2nd). It is not like we are a team that is 1-2 players from a Super Bowl run ... plus we will have the money next off season to shop the FA market and not give up draft picks.

I think this is a good trade: Huge upgrade for our secondary, still young, cheap contract, was a first round pick - so we're not paying more for him than the fins did originally.

Also to people complaining of us not having many picks next year - remember that we have A TON of cap space to sign cover for our other positions in FA.

The key is getting solid players and people that fit your scheme...this was a 4-3 team built to play with a lead so you'd think the transition to a 3-4 hybrid scheme wouldnt happen over night. Don't get too caught up in having a top 10 talent at each position. Impact players will do just fine. Also calling Angerer at future top 10 LB is a bit of a stretch. Sure people like throwing out the Zack Thomas label but he isn't Zack. With the play of Freeman and Conner you can see he can be replaced with little of to no let down. I think the true Mike for this DEF isnt on the roster yet.

We have some good players at key positions. Like you said, we need to get more players that fit our scheme, and that's why I said if we build right. If Angryman continues to play at the level he did last year, he will no doubt become a tackling machine and a top 10 LB.

For a 2nd round pick. That's fair, I don't think we'd find a better CB than Davis in the second round.

Agreed. Vontae Davis is an extremely gifted athlete. Remember, his brother is Vernon Davis so freak athletes are in their family. I think the best of Vontae is still yet to come. He just needed the right coaching and Pagano gets the best out of DBs. Plus he is only 24 so giving up a mid 2nd round pick isnt really that bad. Good trade if he pans out!!!

If true potentially great trade, cant wait to see him in game action for us

I'm especially happy for you Gavin. You've been wanting a CB since before the draft, and now we have a very good one.

I wish we coulda got him cheaper but we were dealing from a position of weakness because the draft did'nt break break for us to acquire a CB thru the draft. A 2nd rndr is high but we desperately needed one.

Anyway lets hope Davis & Powers stay healthy and our secondary is now much improved.

Grigs got :edit: Not worth a 2nd rounder. Cromartie went to Jets for 3rd rounder and he is a better CB!!! Should have hard balled for 3rd rounder based on history.

This move reeks of desperation, IMO!!! I am not happy we gave up a 2nd rounder. Just my two cents!!!

Well, considering that Davis came into camp out of shape and had worked himself OFF of the starting lineup... yep, not a good trade.

However, if he DOES turn it around, he's worth a 2nd rounder.

I think this is a good trade: Huge upgrade for our secondary, still young, cheap contract, was a first round pick - so we're not paying more for him than the fins did originally.

Also to people complaining of us not having many picks next year - remember that we have A TON of cap space to sign cover for our other positions in FA.

Yeah the lack of a 2nd and 5th round pick next year isnt going to kill us. We still have a TON a cap room to get some guys(possibly Dwayne Bowe and OL help). Plus we can always trade down in the 1st round to a QB needy team and get back their 1st and 2nd and maybe more in the deal.

I look at this trade like this....

Two of the players we were rumoured to be trading for(Mike Wallace and Dwayne Bowe) can be had next year becuase they will most likely be Free Agents. Vontae Davis still has 2 years left on his deal so we wouldnt have gotten him next year.

Getting Davis sures up the CB spot, at least for now, and allows us to focus on OL and another good WR in Free Agency.

Remember, his brother is Vernon Davis so freak athletes are in their family.

Remember, the other Davis brother is locked up on felony murder & assault with intent to kill charges because he was walking around DC cracking random, unsuspecting white folks in the head with a hammer. So unstable, "wackjob", racist, murderer might run through the family too.

Here's to hoping it doesnt.

Remember, the other Davis brother is locked up on felony murder & assault with intent to kill charges because he was walking around DC cracking random, unsuspecting white folks in the head with a hammer. So unstable, "wackjob", racist, murderer might run through the family too.

Here's to hoping it doesnt.

Are we being a little overdramatic again?