Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade 2nd Round Pick for Vontae Davis [Merge]

mark5362

i can't believe grigson the guy is amazing. vontae davis is one of the most gifted cb's in the lg. taent wise he's a top 3 cb and has all the physical attributes that revis has, just has to be with the right coach. pagano will make davis into the best cb in the lg or atleast rival revis. now we can just get the best available player in the draft instead of worrying about a cb. i would love to get nt star loutelei the next ngahta, but jarvis jones or teo would be awesome as well.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigs got :edit: Not worth a 2nd rounder. Cromartie went to Jets for 3rd rounder and he is a better CB!!! Should have hard balled for 3rd rounder based on history.

This move reeks of desperation, IMO!!! I am not happy we gave up a 2nd rounder. Just my two cents!!!

I'm **almost** with you, Chad....

I think we paid full price. And I'm not sure it was necessary. I'm concerned that all that public tweeting forced Grigson's hand. Otherwise, one would think if we were offering a two all along, Miami would've said yes on the first phone call. I would have preferred giving up a #3. I think that's the more appropriate compensation.

The only saving grace to this is the NFL.com report that the year of the pick is not known yet. So, for example, if the pick is NOT next year and is instead in 2014, **then** I'd be OK with it. Pushing it off another year is worth one higher round.

So, I'm keeping my powder dry until we learn what year the pick is in. Also, while we're crunching numbers, I'd expect we're going to have to re-do, or add on to Davis' deal... perhaps keep the contract years the same, but add on a signing bonus to a new deal that extends him out beyond 2013. Just thinking out loud here...

So, my feelings are mixed until we know more.

And, as I said in another post this weekend, giving up a high pick tells me Irsay/Grigson/Pagano thinks we've got a shot to make the playoffs soon. This year or next. I hope they're right and that this isn't a false read based on too small a sample size of games and practices....

I think we paid full price. And I'm not sure it was necessary. I'm concerned that all that public tweeting forced Grigson's hand. Otherwise, one would think if we were offering a two all along, Miami would've said yes on the first phone call. I would have preferred giving up a #3. I think that's the more appropriate compensation.

The only saving grace to this is the NFL.com report that the year of the pick is not known yet. So, for example, if the pick is NOT next year and is instead in 2014, **then** I'd be OK with it. Pushing it off another year is worth one higher round.

So, I'm keeping my powder dry until we learn what year the pick is in. Also, while we're crunching numbers, I'd expect we're going to have to re-do, or add on to Davis' deal... perhaps keep the contract years the same, but add on a signing bonus to a new deal that extends him out beyond 2013. Just thinking out loud here...

And, as I said in another post this weekend, giving up a high pick tells me Irsay/Grigson/Pagano thinks we've got a shot to make the playoffs soon. This year or next. I hope they're right and that this isn't a false read based on too small a sample size of games and practices....

He's a sure fire #1 CB. No second rounder yields a sure thing. A 3rd would've been nicer, but so would a 7th, ya know?

I hope it is in 2014. If that is the case, it will make me feel better.

Technique and skill can be elevated with coaching, work ethic can only be changed so much. Our secondary is still relatively young enough that there are not many vets that will keep Vontae Davis in check if he is dogging it. That is why the 3rd rounder would have offset our risk, IMO. If it is a 3rd rounder and if Vontae Davis keeps dogging it, you can cut him and deal with the loss better, not so much with a 2nd rounder.

BUILD THE MONSTER!!!

Great trade! Probably wasn't going to find any better value with the 2nd round pick than him. GREAT TRADE! With a pass D of Bethea, Zib, Powers, & Vontae, we can run with the best and that will allow our pass rush to flourish! GREAT TRADE!

Solid trade. We know what we're getting in Vontae, never know with a draft pick. Even if he underachieves as has been his tendency he's still our best corner.

This doesn't magically fix our defense though. Alfred Morris just ran for 7.6 ypc on us.

Alfred. Morris. 7.6.

I appreciate that many people went nuts that a nobody named Alfred Morris ran right through us yesterday.... but Shannahan has a LONG history of taking nobody RB's and turning them into 1,000 yard per season RB's...

Note:

-- Terrell Davis '95 thru '98

-- Olandis Gary '99

-- Mike Anderson 2000

-- Ruben Droughns 2004

-- Mike Anderson 2005

-- Tatum Bell 2006

Between his OL system and his ability to find unknown backs in lower rounds, Shannahan knows what he's doing.

So, the fact that Alfred. Morris. ran for 7.6 should not be a shock to anyone. This has happened for Shannahan for years and years.

Not sure about this trade. Davis is talented, sure. But a second rounder that will most likely be a high pick? I would've felt better with a high third rounder, considering we may need to use our first and should've used a second on linemen next year. I'm totally "Meh" on this trade.

Then again, I said we should've kept Peyton, trade the number one pick and somehow got Morris Claiborne, so what do I know? Best of luck Vontae!

He's a sure fire #1 CB. No second rounder yields a sure thing. A 3rd would've been nicer, but so would a 7th, ya know?

If he's a sure fire #1 then he wouldn't have lost his starting job in Miami and the Dolphins would not have traded him.

There are issues here....

And if your point is he's a sure fire for the Colts, well, that's another story. You don't want to overpay. Bad, bad habit to get into.

If he's a sure fire #1 then he wouldn't have lost his starting job in Miami and the Dolphins would not have traded him.

There are issues here....

And if your point is he's a sure fire for the Colts, well, that's another story. You don't want to overpay. Bad, bad habit to get into.

He lost the job because he wasn't in shape. Heck, would you be motivated if you had that FO?

Not sure about this trade. Davis is talented, sure. But a second rounder that will most likely be a high pick? I would've felt better with a high third rounder, considering we may need to use our first and should've used a second on linemen next year. I'm totally "Meh" on this trade.

Then again, I said we should've kept Peyton, trade the number one pick and somehow got Morris Claiborne, so what do I know? Best of luck Vontae!

Morris Claiborne hasn't really been performing all that well. We basically drafted a proven starting corner with a 2nd rd pick. That doesn't happen alot in drafts. He is still young at 24.

I appreciate that many people went nuts that a nobody named Alfred Morris ran right through us yesterday.... but Shannahan has a LONG history of taking nobody RB's and turning them into 1,000 yard per season RB's...

Note:

-- Terrell Davis '95 thru '98

-- Olandis Gary '99

-- Mike Anderson 2000

-- Ruben Droughns 2004

-- Mike Anderson 2005

-- Tatum Bell 2006

Between his OL system and his ability to find unknown backs in lower rounds, Shannahan knows what he's doing.

So, the fact that Alfred. Morris. ran for 7.6 should not be a shock to anyone. This has happened for Shannahan for years and years.

Yeah he has a recipe that makes chicken pie out of chicken dumplings when it comes to running backs.

He lost the job because he wasn't in shape. Heck, would you be motivated if you had that FO?

He didn't lose his job, sorta. They demoted him to teach him a lesson. He would've started week one if they wanted to have their best defensive players on the field.

From rotoworld.

The new coaching staff is trying to send Davis a message. Supremely talented but maddeningly inconsistent, Davis is listed behind offseason pickup Richard Marshall. Davis will regain the starting left corner job before Week 1 if the Fins want to field their four best DBs, but he's going to have to earn it back.

It's a good move though. We most likely weren't going to get a corner in the draft next year of his caliber. Secondary just got a significant UPGRADE!

It should definitely be an upgrade. It just seems like a 2nd and a 6th is a little high given that the Dolphins were not too enamored with Davis this preseason.

I'll take it and love it, like people here said 3rd would have been better and Im sure we could have pulled it off if we threw in a player. But potentially great pickup. Not gonna get to high on this or low. Lets see how it works out.Plugging our holes one day at time. Can move Powers to #2 now

Morris Claiborne hasn't really been performing all that well. We basically drafted a proven starting corner with a 2nd rd pick. That doesn't happen alot in drafts. He is still young at 24.

Yes, and I thought for sure Claiborne would've reached "shutdown" status. Again, what do I know.

I just hope Pagano and the fresh start can motivate Vontae. Ive read too much about his work ethic issues but maybe Miami was a bad fit. He has the talent to be a pro bowler.

said this before but i will say it again...Davis is better than any CB we could get at that projected pick. Also he's ready to play and has made plays in this league. I think this is a good move and this is they type of corners you want to bring in, draft and develop. Nice move Grigs...this is a build the monster type of move.

No way the Colts make the trade if they don't expect him to start. Just because the Dolphins were willing to make the trade doesn't mean there's something wrong with him. Colts traded Marshal Faulk for a second round pick. There was nothing wrong with him.

What? The Gordy pick is from '14.

Not talking about Gordy, the Colts Traded a 2nd next year and a conditional late round pick for Vontae Davis, I was thinking 2013's 6th round would also go to the Dolphins, we would only have 3 draft picks left but I could be mistaken haha

No way the Colts make the trade if they don't expect him to start. Just because the Dolphins were willing to make the trade doesn't mean there's something wrong with him. Colts traded Marshal Faulk for a second round pick. There was nothing wrong with him.

From reading, he fell out of good favor with Philbin for taking breaks during practice and apparently he came into camp out of shape.

There are concerns with him but the Dolphins were a mess from an organizational standpoint and really couldnt afford to deal with even minor headaches like the ones Davis brought on, especially while trying to change the culture.

I dont feel as concerned about it for this team. Pagano seems to be a players coach and I can see him getting the most out of Davis. The Colts also have more stable veteran presence in the locker room (wayne, freeney, mathis, bethea) to help keep these kinds of antics in check.

I'm hoping Grigson can find a hidden Jem on the waiver wire, i thought he used to have to do that before sometimes as a scout, so hopefull he finds one after mondays cuts.

on free agency two people who look not bad are Chris Kemoeatu( formerly steeler so will know Arians) and Ryan O'callaghan ( Former KC- 6"7 able push the d-line down). Was originally skeptical about Davis know I know we did the right thing trading for him. BUILDING THE MONSTER!