Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson making too many trades?

masterlock

I have become a tad concerned with Grigson's tendency lately to make trades for players of questionable value for future draft picks. Granted, the latest acquisition, Gordy, was for an undisclosed draft pick. But I think we should be careful about mortgaging away the team's draft picks so liberally. Thoughts?

Well would you rather use a 6th round pick on someone who has a 95% chance (not sure on the number, just an estimate) of being out of the league within a couple of years, or would you rather it went towards securing someone who isn't a star, but can do a job?

If the draft picks are conditional based on playing time etc., then it is worth trading them.

Let us not forget that now that we have the franchise QB, we may be more apt to gain more picks in the draft by trading down as well in early rounds, even if it is not the first round.

I have become a tad concerned with Grigson's tendency lately to make trades for players of questionable value for future draft picks. Granted, the latest acquisition, Gordy, was for an undisclosed draft pick. But I think we should be careful about mortgaging away the team's draft picks so liberally. Thoughts?

Back end draft picks aren't exactly the building blocks of your team. We have an entire season to evaluate our team, identify our most glaring weaknesses, and go into the offseason with a clearly defined shopping list. We'll have a ton of cap space, and it will be easy for us to plug a good three or four holes in free agency. We'll still have our top draft picks, and we may even get compensatories that make up for the picks we've given up in trades so far. As for the Gordy trade, it was reportedly for a 2014 draft pick, so we have two years to make up for that pick, which was likely a 6th or 7th rounder. Again, not the kind of pick that makes or breaks your team, most likely.

He's traded away nothing of any considerable value at all, for players the thinks can help the team this year.

I've got no objection to any single trade.

If you've ever seen a chart showing the percentage of players who make an NFL team it's not surprising that a larger % of 1st round picks make it than any other...

Then, it goes down as you reach the 2nd round, and so on.... and by the time you get to the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, the odds of making an NFL team get smaller and smaller.

So, if Grigson wants to trade 6's and 7's in the future to help now, I don't view that as "mortgaging the future".... not even close. I think he's getting great value... bigger upside than there is a downside...

I like his style... I really do! I think Grigson is a very, very sharp guy!

Just my 2 cents....

Since we're talking about trades......

I just traded Peyton & my 6th Rd pick to the Rams for a 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick & Sam Bradford.

Traded Dallas Clark & my 7th Rd pick to the Jets for a 1st & 2nd Round Pick

Traded Addai & my 4th Rd pick to the Pats for a 3rd round pick & Eldeman

Traded J. Saturday to the Cardinals for a 1st & 2nd Rd pick & Sam Acho (My Madden Trades so Far)

So, I don't think Grigson is making as many Trades as I am. So I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

He's traded away nothing of any considerable value at all, for players the thinks can help the team this year.

I've got no objection to any single trade.

If you've ever seen a chart showing the percentage of players who make an NFL team it's not surprising that a larger % of 1st round picks make it than any other...

Then, it goes down as you reach the 2nd round, and so on.... and by the time you get to the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, the odds of making an NFL team get smaller and smaller.

So, if Grigson wants to trade 6's and 7's in the future to help now, I don't view that as "mortgaging the future".... not even close. I think he's getting great value... bigger upside than there is a downside...

I like his style... I really do! I think Grigson is a very, very sharp guy!

Just my 2 cents....

Agree.

Since we're talking about trades......

I just traded Peyton & my 6th Rd pick to the Rams for a 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick & Sam Bradford.

Traded Dallas Clark & my 7th Rd pick to the Jets for a 1st & 2nd Round Pick

Traded Addai & my 4th Rd pick to the Pats for a 3rd round pick & Eldeman

Traded J. Saturday to the Cardinals for a 1st & 2nd Rd pick & Sam Acho (My Madden Trades so Far)

So, I don't think Grigson is making as many Trades as I am. So I don't think there's anything to worry about :)

No offense but I hate when people cheat the AI in Madden like this. And why Bradford? He couldn't throw deep if his life depended on it.

No offense but I hate when people cheat the AI in Madden like this. And why Bradford? He couldn't throw deep if his life depended on it.

It's Madden 12, I needed a young Franchise QB. I didn't want Newton, & the Bengals wouldn't give me Dalton.

And it's not really cheating, just smart business decisions. I only did those 4 Trades with Big Name players. Moved Freeney & Mathis to OLB, & now I'm about to do the Draft and get my D-Line & Secondary in order.

If he think a guy is talented go get him what 7th round pick really gonna make an impact how often do that happen

If the draft picks are conditional based on playing time etc., then it is worth trading them.

Let us not forget that now that we have the franchise QB, we may be more apt to gain more picks in the draft by trading down as well in early rounds, even if it is not the first round.

i believe the same .btw some were conditional meaning they have to play so many games good job Grigs.

It's Madden 12, I needed a young Franchise QB. I didn't want Newton, & the Bengals wouldn't give me Dalton.

And it's not really cheating, just smart business decisions. I only did those 4 Trades with Big Name players. Moved Freeney & Mathis to OLB, & now I'm about to do the Draft and get my D-Line & Secondary in order.

You could draft one. And I meant that it's cheating the game because the AI is messed up, and doesn't factor in age. All of those trades are horribly one sided. You can play however you want.

With how long people complained about how we didnt trade under Polian, it is amazing how many people are now complaining about too much trading.

I agree 100%. For yrs. polian done jack squat to improve area's of obvious need and just filled the roster with inadequate scrubs. Grigson has proven to me already that he is better than Polian was for the last 5 yrs.. Some people will probably freak that I just said that, but IMO he has done more with less than Polian ever did.

With new posting ability, and at what appears to be 11 be prepared for the plethora of answers. So many answers...so many opinions.

Grigson has worked with what he calls "Famiiarities." Why would he not? You have a trust factor.

He now has 465+ players to analyze and have a shot at improving the new era Colts roster.

Good luck in your posting....I still have to be....very careful...Go Colts! If you need to ask a question...feel free. :)

I've liked the trades we've been making. As long as we're not giving up too much for players, Im good with them. Now if we gave up a 3rd or 4th round pick, Id expect the player we're getting back to be a good starter for us.

This rumoured trade we're in right now hopefully gets us someone like CB Kyle Wilson from NY. That would give us a young talented CB opposite Powers and Pagano can work with both Wilson and Powers like he did with Ladarius Webb and suddenly we have a good secondary.

Grigson said he was going to outwork the competition. I can't believe even 1 Colt fan would have a problem with what he is doing. All we heard last year was that we were "sucking for Luck" and now we're doing everything humanly possible to build a monster. Gotta love that.

No joke... After years of Polian and "do what we do" it is so refreshing to see a GM making moves. And like previous posters have said, he isn't mortgaging our future going after big name guys. People need to get a grip...

With how long people complained about how we didnt trade under Polian, it is amazing how many people are now complaining about too much trading.

This. I'm excited that we have a guy in there now that isn't afraid to make such moves. This along with free agency (which was another problem in the past) next year we won't take long to get back on top.

He hasn't made any great trades IMO. Traded a 6th round for Justice and it's looking like the Eagles got the better end of that deal. Traded KT to the Eagles for a couple of LBers both who are behind a former CFL LB. He traded up in the draft to get T.Y. Hilton (whom I have high hopes for) but he's been outplayed by 5th round Brazill. Signed McGlynn as an FA and he appears to be one of the worst lineman. Traded with the Broncos for Vaughn, traded with the Rams for Cordy and now rumors that the Colts are looking to trade for a serious vet/starter CB.

The number of trades is not a concern. The number of trades that seem to be bad trades could become a big concern if they start to PROVE to be bad trades rather than just seeming like bad trades at the moment.

He hasn't made any great trades IMO. Traded a 6th round for Justice and it's looking like the Eagles got the better end of that deal. Traded KT to the Eagles for a couple of LBers both who are behind a former CFL LB. He traded up in the draft to get T.Y. Hilton (whom I have high hopes for) but he's been outplayed by 5th round Brazill. Signed McGlynn as an FA and he appears to be one of the worst lineman. Traded with the Broncos for Vaughn, traded with the Rams for Cordy and now rumors that the Colts are looking to trade for a serious vet/starter CB.

The number of trades is not a concern. The number of trades that seem to be bad trades could become a big concern if they start to PROVE to be bad trades rather than just seeming like bad trades at the moment.

Give it some time Coffee i understand where its coming from i just don't believe these moves are bad in any phase. KT was more of an off corner that didn't like getting dirty that had some potential but he was a very fragile player. It looks like we are looking at corners who play better in man situation and seem to be better tacklers and most of them that have been brought in should collectively improve SP teams play. I'm a firm believer that the deeper the secondary is the better. Its a passing league and i for one would like to see some tenacity at that position.

So what? Grigson has to trade for starters only?

To this point, Grigson has been excellent in his decision making and managing of this team. If he is working the lines for a blockbuster trade, then I believe this trade will work in our favor. I love everything about the approach we are taking to win NOW. If we give up high draft picks now to get a proven winner, then expect us to make a big splash in free agency. This regime has multiple approaches to build our team and make us better and I love it. Stay aggressive Grigson!!!!!

Please don't take Polians' era as base of comparison...they were lazy in that matter IMO. I mean we aren't used to such trading activity in the off-season.

Besides, we still have urgent needs on our roster, so Grigson has to make trades until the last possible second.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

I would understand your concern if we were trading higher round picks like a 1st or a 2nd to get some of these guys. The thing is these are mostly conditional picks that we are trading so if the guys we get out barely play or turn into busts we are out like a 7thor 6th round pick. If they turn out to be big contributors then trading a 5th or 4th will not be that pad.

I like the aggressiveness that he is showing.

I agree 100%. For yrs. polian done jack squat to improve area's of obvious need and just filled the roster with inadequate scrubs. Grigson has proven to me already that he is better than Polian was for the last 5 yrs.. Some people will probably freak that I just said that, but IMO he has done more with less than Polian ever did.

Bill signed his favs.....including his son....and thought he could pull UFAs out of his hat.....however, Bill was a legendary GM...and is rumored for 5 spots.....of course the inside sources would not say....where :)

The only one of those moves I have an issue with is the Kevin Thomas trade, but even that one I think you're misclassifying. Every trade doesn't have to be for a starter. Inside backer was one of the thinnest spots on the roster before that trade, and since, we lost Angerer for six weeks.

I don't know how you figure the Eagles won the Justice trade. We got three players for one draft pick. And do you even know who the Eagles have instead of that pick? I spent about ten minutes trying to track it down, and it's like untangling string. That pick was chopped up and sent all over the league. I don't see how anyone won that trade. It was a simple draft trade, cost us 16 spots. Even if the Eagles benefited greatly from that trade, I don't see how we lost. I'm not over the moon about Justice, but we got a veteran right tackle for 16 spots in the 6th round.

T.Y. Hilton isn't going to be graded in comparison with Lavon Brazill. He should be graded on how he does on the field, and he's done fine, with the exception of one dropped pass. He has the potential to be a big time playmaker. No complaints with that trade.

McGlynn was a free agent who got a vet minimum contract. Has nothing to do with the topic.

The trades for Cassius Vaughn and others are pretty irrelevant as well, low level, back end trades that added depth at positions we had none at.

Even if all those trades turn out to be bad, it's not like we gave up anything of value for any of them. The most valuable asset we parted with was Kevin Thomas. None of these moves have the potential to seriously hamper the team moving forward.

we were 2-14 last year...we need a wheeler and a dealer..

I was afraid he'd be hesitant to trade. he's not.../ I like that

I cant evaluate any trades until, the season begins