Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vrabel - Colts DC conversation

As you all know, he was fired today and my first thought would be is that he was a very strong defensive coordinator with a lot of energy. Makes me wonder if Ballard is considering him. just a thought for conversation.

• Like 3

He wants to be a HC, period. He will go where he can be a head coach. He is not even considering the DC position whatsoever. Besides, every indication has been given Gus Bradley is retained. So, effectively, thread closed for discussion??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He wants to be a HC, period. He will go where he can be a head coach. He is not even considering the DC position whatsoever. Besides, every indication has been given Gus Bradley is retained. So, effectively, thread closed for discussion??

We don’t have to close the conversation it’s something we can talk about. Goodness sakes people just wanted to delete delete conversations.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

As you all know, he was fired today and my first thought would be is that he was a very strong defensive coordinator with a lot of energy. Makes me wonder if Ballard is considering him. just a thought for conversation.

I think zero thought from Ballard and Steichen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

He’ll be in NE as their new HC

That’s most likely but I can’t see why they get rid of Belichick probably the greatest coach of all time. They have a very low draft pack. They can get their quarterback and don’t be surprised if next year New England is vying for a playoff spot.

• Like 1

I think Vrabel and Harbaugh will be the top 2 HC candidates, by far.   They’re both in a league of their own. 

I think Vrabel’s agent would quietly and politely say no thank you to any talk of Vrabel being a DC. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Vrabel and Harbaugh will be the top 2 HC candidates, by far.   They’re both in a league of their own. 

I think Vrabel’s agent would quietly and politely say no thank you to any talk of Vrabel being a DC. 

Harbaugh was waiting on the Chargers job and the Chargers chose to keep Staley, so he declined to interview with the Broncos if I remember right. Now he has his chance. 

Whether it is Patriots or Commanders or Chargers, all of them will have their QB picking to choose from either a rookie that they can mold or an established Herbert, so I would say those jobs are far more appealing compared to a Falcons or Panthers job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Not one single chance this happens. 

But sure - let’s discuss. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Vrabel will either just wait for a HC job he wants or go to New England if he’s going to be a DC and named as BB’s replacement in waiting.

If New England wants to hire Vrabel as HC and so are many other teams, they will do it now and fire Belichick, IMO. Vrabel probably strong armed Amy Adams in TN to get out of that contract and they got tired of waiting trying to get a trade for him knowing he could be having one foot out the door reducing their leverage. In other words, Vrabel for HC in NE makes too much sense based on everything that has transpired. 

Belichick is being linked to the Atlanta Falcons more and more now. Being in Cleveland before New England, I think Belichick would make this the last hurrah. The question is who will he bring along as OC? Both Vrabel and Belichick will go after Josh McDaniels for sure. Another name being thrown around is Klint Kubiak, another Kyle Shanahan assistant like Bob Slowik who is OC at Texans. It will be an interesting off season.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2024/1/8/24030465/the-great-atlanta-falcons-coaching-search-reports-and-rumors-roundup

Of all the coaches fired in the last 3 years, as much as I can’t stand the dude, Vrabel is one of just two coaches that never should have been fired. Vrabel turned that franchise into something respectable and until the wheels fell off due to massive injuries, with no depth , he managed to keep it together. There were no reports of having lost the locker room that you typically see with HCs on the hot seat. Vrabel was a scape goat for a team that just didn’t have enough depth. 

if Vrabel isn’t hired as HC by some team by the Super Bowl, I’d be shocked . 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

If New England wants to hire Vrabel as HC and so are many other teams, they will do it now and fire Belichick, IMO. Vrabel probably strong armed Amy Adams in TN to get out of that contract and they got tired of waiting trying to get a trade for him knowing he could be having one foot out the door reducing their leverage. In other words, Vrabel for HC in NE makes too much sense based on everything that has transpired. 

Belichick is being linked to the Atlanta Falcons more and more now. Being in Cleveland before New England, I think Belichick would make this the last hurrah. The question is who will he bring along as OC? Both Vrabel and Belichick will go after Josh McDaniels for sure. Another name being thrown around is Klint Kubiak, another Kyle Shanahan assistant like Bob Slowik who is OC at Texans. It will be an interesting off season.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2024/1/8/24030465/the-great-atlanta-falcons-coaching-search-reports-and-rumors-roundup

Here’s the thing about the Belichick situation.   If Bill and Bob want to run this back for one more year, fine.   

The problem comes if they want to end this.   Bill has another year in his contract, so he can’t just quit and go wherever he wants.   Kraft would want compensation.  

So if they want a divorce,  here’s what has to happen.   Bill has to tell Bob where he wants to go.  Kraft then has to call those franchises to find what they will trade to NE in exchange for the right to acquire Belichick.    So there’s a process.   

This way Bill gets to go where he wants, while Bib gets compensation.  Win-win.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s the thing about the Belichick situation.   If Bill and Bob want to run this back for one more year, fine.   

The problem comes if they want to end this.   Bill has another year in his contract, so he can’t just quit and go wherever he wants.   Kraft would want compensation.  

So if they want a divorce,  here’s what has to happen.   Bill has to tell Bob where he wants to go.  Kraft then has to call those franchises to find what they will trade to NE in exchange for the right to acquire Belichick.    So there’s a process.   

This way Bill gets to go where he wants, while Bib gets compensation.  Win-win.  

of course, all of this goes out the window if Bob decides to fire Belichick correct?

I honestly don’t get why a team would want Belichick at this point. 

He’s done nothing without Brady - in New England or anywhere else. 

Then add the whole “Patriot’s Way” he’d likely want to install which we know will rub a lot of players the wrong way. 

It just seems like too much of a gamble to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

of course, all of this goes out the window if Bob decides to fire Belichick correct?

I don’t think so.  If Bob wants to be rid of Belichick, he still wants to get something for him.   He still wants to trade him so he can get picks/players in return.   What’s the point of firing simply firing him?   How does that help Kraft?    Belichick leaves and goes where he wants and Kraft gets nothing.  

The idea is for both men to get what they want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think so.  If Bob wants to be rid of Belichick, he still wants to get something for him.   He still wants to trade him so he can get picks/players in return.   What’s the point of firing simply firing him?   How does that help Kraft?    Belichick leaves and goes where he wants and Kraft gets nothing.  

The idea is for both men to get what they want. 

After getting 6 SBs, I am sure Kraft would be amenable to just firing Belichick and releasing him from his contract. I feel Kraft might think Belichick at least deserves that. That was what happened with Vrabel with Amy Adams. A power control situation where he wasn't on board with the hiring of Ron Carthon, the GM in the first place. Then, Vrabel might have had one foot out the door to the Patriots and Amy Adams didn't want to stick around to see what she can get in a trade because it would cost her and Ron Carthon precious time in the next HC search. I am thinking a similar thing will happen with Belichick and Kraft.

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I’m sure he wants to be a HC not take a step back. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Thanks for the laugh.

18 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Interesting thought.  

I mean no disrespect to DC Gus Bradley, however, his defensive schemes cost the Colts a few games in 23/24 season. Never cared for his penchant for his passing defense, or at least what he said was defense. Not enough blitzing and surely his intermediate game wasn't that great either. 

I really don't understand why the Colts can't or won't attract someone of Spagnoulo's stature or others of similar defense. I'd welcome Vrabel - he'd bring some gravitas. 

59 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

What about his love child with Robert Kraft Josh McDaniels

Not for HC though. Vrabel would be front runner for HC, McDaniels will get calls from both Belichick and Vrabel for OC, assuming Belichick catches on somewhere else while Vrabel is HC at NE. McDaniels getting another HC job, those chances have pretty much evaporated.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

True and true. I think the only time head coaches step down to a coordinator position is when they can't get work as a Head Coach. Someone like Frank Reich might fall into that category, I'm sorry to say. But not Vrabel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, masterlock said:

True and true. I think the only time head coaches step down to a coordinator position is when they can't get work as a Head Coach. Someone like Frank Reich might fall into that category, I'm sorry to say. But not Vrabel. 

Reich got a second chance at a HC job quickly after the Colts let him go.  Vrabel will get picked up quickly as well.  

Colin Cowherd indicated that Mike Vrabel would be at the top of the list "IF" the New England Patriots fired Bill Belichick.

Shane Steichen has already indicated that he plans to keep Gus Bradley & staff in the interest of maintaining continuity.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Reich got a second chance at a HC job quickly after the Colts let him go.  Vrabel will get picked up quickly as well.  

He did, but the present-day Frank Reich, who has now been fired mid-season by two consecutive teams, I believe, falls into the category of former HC whose best hope for future employment is at the Coordinator or positional coach level. Vrabel doesn't fall into this category, as you say.