Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who We Going To Ride For As Backup For AR Next Season

Boss7894

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If I was in charge, I would get the best backup veteran QB with a good arm that I could. I would also like him to be mobile, if not, then a young,  mobile rookie QB for 3rd string.

Or take a qb in the second or third Mccarthy  or nix

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If I was in charge, I would get the best backup veteran QB with a good arm that I could. I would also like him to be mobile, if not, then a young,  mobile rookie QB for 3rd string.

Who would that be?    I would rather have the backup that already knows the offense and can help the basically rookie qb

I'm voting for Minshew.

But if he doesn't want to stay or Ballard wants to look else where maybe Tyrod Taylor or Marcus Mariota? Both vetereans, both with a skill-set much closer to that of AR.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I'm voting for Minshew.

But if he doesn't want to stay or Ballard wants to look else where maybe Tyrod Taylor or Marcus Mariota? Both vetereans, both with a skill-set much closer to that of AR.

Don’t forget, Shane Steichen will get a key vote on whether Minshew comes back or not.   It won’t just be Ballard’s call. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:29 PM, chad72 said:

Maybe we should be talking about finding value in a 3rd QB to replace Ehlinger? I wonder if a later round QB is in their draft plans, it should be, IMO, for grooming a future backup. With all the QB injuries happening, no team is safe with 2 QBs on the roster.

I think THIS is the biggest question

for next year the best bet is to roll with current QB1 and QB2

Ehlinger isn’t a true viable back up

I think a low investment like a 6th on a QB for developing to be our QB2 of the future is a good move

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think THIS is the biggest question

for next year the best bet is to roll with current QB1 and QB2

Ehlinger isn’t a true viable back up

I think a low investment like a 6th on a QB for developing to be our QB2 of the future is a good move

True but.may not play out.that way.

I think there's a decent chance.minshew will be with another team and Ehrlinger will be the #2.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:43 PM, MB-ColtsFan said:

Someone mentioned bringing Jacoby back.  I think he and AR are more similar in style so SS wouldn’t have to change the gameplan as much as with any other backup out there?

Just a thought…?

Brisset sucked years ago. If AR plays in any way similar to that, he will need to go also. If the head coach can't plan game plans around two different signal callers, then he will need to go too. Jezz, can't anyone expect more from a team? 😱

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I hope they keep Minshew but I wouldn’t be shocked if they go with Sam.  They have been grooming him to be the backup and next year is the last year of his contract.

I think the colts had a good season in spite of minshew. Ehlinger has been with the colts for a while, so they must see something in him. It’s time to ether make him the backup or move on. Wouldn’t he be better in the rpo that minshew? He is a better runner. I don’t want to have another year if Richardson gets hurt with a qb that won’t throw down field. That just won’t get the colts to the playoffs! I would draft a qb that falls for some reason in the middle rounds and maybe you get lucky.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I think the colts had a good season in spite of minshew. Ehlinger has been with the colts for a while, so they must see something in him. It’s time to ether make him the backup or move on. Wouldn’t he be better in the rpo that minshew? He is a better runner. I don’t want to have another year if Richardson gets hurt with a qb that won’t throw down field. That just won’t get the colts to the playoffs! I would draft a qb that falls for some reason in the middle rounds and maybe you get lucky.

In spite of Minshew?   Really?    Seriously?

Not because of Minshew?   

Amazing how we all see the same thing completely differently.    :peek:

• Like 4

I'd say keep Minshew just so we don't continue the QB carousel. Just because we like what we have in AR dosnt mean we exited that ride. In fact we added two more QBs to that list this year. Let's ride with Minshew so we have the same guy behind center if AR goes down.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 12:45 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Don’t forget, Shane Steichen will get a key vote on whether Minshew comes back or not.   It won’t just be Ballard’s call. 

It all comes down to $$$. Minshew will go to whoever offers the most. I hope it's the Colts .

• Like 2

One other iron to put in this thread's fire:

It seems like Minshew clearly has the arm strength to heave the ball 50 yards down the field.  It also seems like his accuracy when he does so isn't horrible (I've seen better, I've seen MUCH worse, even at the NFL level).  Do we all agree it's more either an unwillingness to push it down the field or perhaps just a vision issue, i.e. he needs to get better at reading the defense and knowing when the deep threat is going to be open?

Here's the question:  If it is indeed either of those last two things, are those COACHABLE?  Are those things Minshew could WORK ON and IMPROVE at this stage of his career?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:10 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

True but.may not play out.that way.

I think there's a decent chance.minshew will be with another team and Ehrlinger will be the #2.

Respectfully.  I think that would be a disaster

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

One other iron to put in this thread's fire:

It seems like Minshew clearly has the arm strength to heave the ball 50 yards down the field.  It also seems like his accuracy when he does so isn't horrible (I've seen better, I've seen MUCH worse, even at the NFL level).  Do we all agree it's more either an unwillingness to push it down the field or perhaps just a vision issue, i.e. he needs to get better at reading the defense and knowing when the deep threat is going to be open?

Here's the question:  If it is indeed either of those last two things, are those COACHABLE?  Are those things Minshew could WORK ON and IMPROVE at this stage of his career?

I think you're correct with the vision. He seems to get tunnel vision as the play goes on. I believe this is fixable but it's how comfortable can he remain with dudes 2 times his size trying to come after him. Let alone calling him a little *** boy lol.

I think it is something that's coachable to put an answer down.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:21 AM, Boss7894 said:

With Minshew going elsewhere (if Irsay didn’t like Wentz he certainly not going to like Minshew) and the hate he got here… are we going to stick with Mr. Ehlinger as backup and maybe he’ll have his time to step up to see what he can do? Who do we get?

Sign?  Who knows.  And where do you get Irsay not liking Gardner?  If anything hey are both cut of the same cloth lol

On 1/9/2024 at 2:20 AM, Bravo said:

Minshew was so inconsistent in his play and missed open receivers often..

That being said, he still is one of the best back up QBs in the league. Colts are going to need a good backup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only get half a season season out of Richardson consistently.

A lot of people get upset when I say that but let’s see how next year goes. If Richardson plays in more than 10 games, I’ll say I was wrong.

You say half a season, that's 8.5 games.  

Hen you say he has to play in 11+ for you to be wrong?  What happens with the 2.5 game spread? Lol. I wouldn't make many bets with you that's for sure!!

8 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

You say half a season, that's 8.5 games.  

Hen you say he has to play in 11+ for you to be wrong?  What happens with the 2.5 game spread? Lol. I wouldn't make many bets with you that's for sure!!

I even thought about this as I was typing it out believe it or not and never fixed it lol.

Still got my point across, Sure hope he can stay healthy. Dude will be a stud if he can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 12:46 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Wrong or not, but if AR is only playing half the season going forward he will be viewed as a spectacular failure.  He’ll be traded for pennies after his 3rd or 4th season, Ballard will be fired, and the franchise will be in shambles….  

So….   I’m hoping you’re wrong.  

And the coach will also go. Remember why this qb made the most sense: Steichen’s offense. I hope I’m wrong but AR only looks like he could run over a lot of linebackers. So far, it appears he can’t and survive to play. (Didn’t the Colts learn anything from Luck's much too short career?)

Hopefully AR can use his obvious talent to become a great pocket passer who can run if needed. But that probably was never the plan when he was drafted.

On 1/15/2024 at 7:21 PM, Colt.45 said:

the original 12...Sorgi

If not Minshew, Brissett? Or some youngun' from the draft

I would love to see Jacoby come back here to be our backup on a reasonable deal.  He and Minshew should come at about the same price tag (Jacoby may be a tad cheaper due to age?) 

The Mariota call is decent too and he played in the Eagles system this year.  He would transition into our O and be even cheaper than the aforementioned. 

It all really comes down to what Minshew is asking for.  If its reasonable and on par with his value as a BACKUP, I think we bring him back. Personally- I don't see any team bringing him in to be their starter.  They would bring him in to compete with a Mac Jones level QB.  If Minshew can land in that type of situation he is likely to make a few million more than if he stayed in Indy- but he kind of made it clear that money isn't everything for him, he seemed to enjoy his time here and mentoring AR so who knows?  Maybe he takes a team friendly to stick around.  Gardner has had years to prove he's a starter, so nobody is giving him 20 million a year.  His ceiling for pay is closer to 10- But do WE want to pay that?  It slightly takes the benefit out of having a rookie on a cheaper deal. I like the Sam E approach as backup-  He's still cheap, he knows the system, he can run a bit, and if AR goes down again at least we probably lose bad enough to pick high. 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:21 PM, Colt.45 said:

the original 12...Sorgi

If not Minshew, Brissett? Or some youngun' from the draft

We’ve seen Brissett too many times already.  He isn’t it.

I think Sam is hanging out through his rookie contract to see if he can ascend to being a backup.   I’m sure Ballard would love to have one of his draft picks as QB2 to his QB1 draft pick.  But nothing we’ve seen this far tells me he is going to hang around after next year. 

On 1/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, Myles said:

My vote goes to keep Minshew.   He did great for the Colts as their back up QB.

I agree, but only with a reasonable contract

One of the talking heads said the Minshew contract would be 2 year 17.5 M - (8.5M)

That seems very high to me $5M seems like a decent contract for a backup

We may have to go after another vet QB AND draft a 6th or 7th round QB, to be the eventual backup

IMHO, once you know that your backup isnt someone who can come in and win a game or two, you cut them

Sam E is a great kid, but not someone that I would EVER trot out there

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree, but only with a reasonable contract

One of the talking heads said the Minshew contract would be 2 year 17.5 M - (8.5M)

That seems very high to me $5M seems like a decent contract for a backup

We may have to go after another vet QB AND draft a 6th or 7th round QB, to be the eventual backup

IMHO, once you know that your backup isnt someone who can come in and win a game or two, you cut them

Sam E is a great kid, but not someone that I would EVER trot out there

At this point, I think Minshew has the leverage as he started the most games as the backup QB last season.  It would be wise for the Colts to pay up and keep him.  Even if he only plays in a couple games, it would be a good buy.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

At this point, I think Minshew has the leverage as he started the most games as the backup QB last season.  It would be wise for the Colts to pay up and keep him.  Even if he only plays in a couple games, it would be a good buy.

True, but does Gardner want to stay?  He may be the guy a team like Washington or even The Bears want to start if they draft their future franchise QB. 

I'm sure Minshew wants a chance to start or at least play more that (we hope) he gets to play in Indy.

I would re-sign Minshew. He made 3.5 Mill last year. Double it, pay him 7 Mill for 1 year. That should do it. I know if AR did go down for a game or 2, I would feel ok with Minshew playing for a short span. He showed me a lot this season. We could've easily won the division with him had 1 play went our way.