Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It’s not a brilliant play call because it didn’t work. One half is the call, the second half is having the right players out there to execute it. Minshew to Goodson ain’t it with a season on the line. I doubt there’s another coach in football who subs out JT there with the game he was having. If you want to get creative, use some play action with JT and the odds are good the D bites. Very disappointing. My mind couldn’t compute what I was seeing for a second it was such a failure. Fun season but just a gut punch of a loss. 

This ^^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

This team was expected to win 3-4 games. Let’s have some clarity for Petes sake

So were the Texans, but they're going to the playoffs and we're not. 

We weren't playing the Chiefs or some perennial power tonight, so it doesn't really matter how many games people predicted we would win.  Should have won it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

If Minshew puts that ball in front instead of three feet behind the receiver- it's a catch and first down. 

That play isn't Goodson's fault. It's Minshews God awful passing. 

Yeah but why pass there?  And if so why not do it with Moss if you don't go with Taylor?

That moment was too big to bring Goodson in to catch a pass, and Im sorry we should have

just given it to Taylor and let him plow his way for the first down.  We are talking about 1 stinking yard!!

We push them around all night long and all of a sudden we want to get cute.   That play reminded me of

the Pats/Seahawks Superbowl game.  Just run the darn ball and if you don't pick it up at least you went out

on something that has been proven to work.  Leave with no regrets for Gods sake!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

100%. Some of that is they just don’t have the talent. Then add a backup QB.

The offense just isn’t explosive enough including at backup QB. This game was a dichotomy of what is wrong with the Colts.

-Sub-par backup QB

-No consistently explosive receiver

-Questionable secondary talent

-Bad defensive scheme and playcalling

-Bad tackling 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, #12. said:

So were the Texans, but they're going to the playoffs and we're not. 

We weren't playing the Chiefs or some perennial power tonight, so it doesn't really matter how many games people predicted we would win.  Should have won it.

I don’t think they should have won it. I hoped, but fully expected the team with their QB1 to win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How you put the ball in your back up quarterbacks hands and then throw to your 3rd string running back was just bad. That was some bad play calling in the red zone there. 

Steichen gave them points by not pointing and giving it to them at mid field too. 

I hold jags win tomorrow.

it was a good play call goodson was wide open  .  minshew is just so inaccurate i cant wait to never watch him again . i will be so mad if he returns

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

The offense just isn’t explosive enough including at backup QB. This game was a dichotomy of what is wrong with the Colts.

-Sub-par backup QB

-No consistently explosive receiver

-Questionable secondary talent

-Bad defensive scheme and playcalling

-Bad tackling 

Most teams don’t have starting caliber backups. Unless you have a defense like the browns your cooked 

Atleast Luck era we owned the division we need to do that first. Why can't we beat Jaguars? I mean they are not even hottest team at the moment yet we can never beat them. Anyways I am very happy with HC working with the personnel he had in backup QB. The DC of not his choice but hopefully he can bring someone better, and Ballard drafting or signing better DB (CB and S). Hopefully not to see Baker ever in Colts uniform again. 

Whatever people says about Shane he is a hell of a coach and has done amazing job. Should he have punt instead of kicked? Well kick was good because it had enough distance so cant really blame him for the miss. Was it a poor 4th down call? It was amazing if it worked because Minshew hit Goodson right in the hands have he caught and make 1st down we would be saying Shane is wizard. 

Anyways this was more of a rebuilding season with Rookie QB, and then backup QB. We were given 3 to 4 wins in the beginning of season, and coming out with 9 - 8 record is amazing season.  I think with draft picks to improve this team we will only get better. Go Colts, and thanks to this awesome community. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

A lot to build on. Kind of hard to be upbeat though. I hope Richardson is as good as some of you think he is. always looking towards the next draft. Gets old.

AR will still be a rookie in terms of experience and though he looks indestructible, obviously that’s not the case. I wouldn’t expect much for next year unless he proves to be durable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but why pass there?  And if so why not do it with Moss if you don't go with Taylor?

That moment was too big to bring Goodson in to catch a pass, and Im sorry we should have

just given it to Taylor and let him plow his way for the first down.  We are talking about 1 stinking yard!!

We push them around all night long and all of a sudden we want to get cute.   That play reminded me of

the Pats/Seahawks Superbowl game.  Just run the darn ball and if you don't pick it up at least you went out

on something that has been proven to work.  Leave with no regrets for Gods sake!

If you fail with your best players you fail. But at least you gave it to your best players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just how did Goodson drop the ball and lose the game in the position they were in?  That was almost like perfect positioning and just over a minute left in the game. That was easy and he drops the ball like he's never caught a ball before.

Seems like a draftkings play to me.  I don't like all this gambling in sports.

• Thanks 1

If AR is the QB in this game, we win by 10, at least. I like Minshew as a personality. He’s a funny guy, and I love the quirkiness. I was born and raised in southern Indiana, and he reminds me of that crazy guy that lives in every trailer park in Evansville. Makes me feel at home. He’s not a starting QB.

He makes every pass harder for his receivers and he doesn’t see Alec wide open 30 yards down the field every other play. If AR is the QB this week, he has at least few TDs, and Alec has over 100 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the people on this board that actually said that Minshew is better and should start over AR earlier on this season. I hope you feel dumb. As a starting QB, he's mediocre at his very best. Decent backup though, but that's it. The receivers didn't help him out a ton either tbh, but the bad drops does not excuse how inaccurate he was in key moments throughout the game. What a meh throw to end the season.

I don't believe in Pierce at all. The guy on the field across from Pittman can't simply be a distraction and very rarely a home run hitter. A distraction and a great run blocker can be the 4th WR on the roster, not the second WR who is on the field most of the game. I know that I could be wrong about him once he's paired with AR, but going into next season, I hope he's not the defacto WR2 and has to earn his spot.

I also remember the people on this board that actually didn't think JT wasn't worth $14M per year. He's been that guy with absolutely mediocre QBs throughout most of his career. You're simply wrong. Special players are worth the money, even if you're paying more than the average starter at his position. He's going to look even better with AR next to him next year.

Bradley should have coached his last game as a DC. His zone defense will be ripped apart by Shroud and Lawrence going forward. Those two, especially Stroud, simply have good enough touch to exploit his defense. But besides the DL, the talent on the defense has been very lacking this year. I don't think Juju will ever be a great CB1. Maybe a decent CB2, but we need to add elite talent in the DB room in general. I could say the same thing about the LB position as well unfortunately.

The only reason this doesn't sting as badly is because it's AR's era now. There's 0 doubt in my mind he would have won this game if he played. It's not like he could of done much worse then Minshew was passing. He only played 2.5 games this year but in that time, he played far, far, far more poised then anyone expected him to be. His biggest haters were saying he would average 40% passing and would be throwing picks galore. He didn't do either and had the ability to break huge plays every snap. Can't wait to watch that next year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What was wrong with the call?  He was open. Minshew rushed the throw. 

The fact that you put your season in the hands of 2 scrubs?

You call on your best in those moments. You hand the ball to Jonathan and if they stop him, so be it. 

• Like 5

- First and foremost, I completely realize the ending of this season, this game is hard to swallow, but if we take a step back and are being fair, I think the team and specifically Steichen deserves a lot of credit for continuing to have the offense produce despite some of the injuries.  Unlike 2 years ago when they blew that last of the game of the season at Jax, the team and coaching staff showed up to play and compete today.

- At the risk of inciting the Ballard defenders, that is now 7 years he has been here with only 2 playoff appearances and no division titles to show for it.   As Bill Parcells once said "you are what you're record says you are".  Once again, a Colts season is torpedoed by a foolish gamble that was made on a certain position group (this year being the secondary) that is littered with young, untested, Day 2, Day 3 draft picks.  Color me skeptical, but I would caution those who think that Ballard will be aggressive in filling in the holes there are on this roster which are keeping the team from being elite.   

- The bottom line with this season is that, while entertaining and intriguing, it ultimately tells us very little on whether this team and franchise is on road back to being a title contender.  

19 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

4th and 1 and you put your 4th string RB out there after a drive that you barely let your QB throw once? 

Will strongly disagree that being a good call considering the circumstance and the substitution. 

I'd agree thought the play itself was good he was open,  but can't figure out for the life of me why not Moss or Taylor but your 4th string RB

• Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you fail with your best players you fail. But at least you gave it to your best players.

I get what you’re saying.  But don’t you think that play was run in practice with Goodson?  He’s the receiving back.

If it’s Taylor or Moss, do they catch it?

Just now, Smonroe said:

I get what you’re saying.  But don’t you think that play was run in practice with Goodson?  He’s the receiving back.

I think yes 

I'm just salty, I don't mind it when other teams beat us, but what is rage inducing in my mind is how the colts consistently beat themselves, you put them into position to take the game away from the opposing team and we just cannot for the life of us finish out the damn ball game. 

Stupid call on 4th and one, you go down swinging with your best player on the team sitting on the bench, that is outrageous. Steichan must learn from that call, and he will have an off-season to think about it. 

That said, thank you to the coaches and players for an exciting football season that had meaningful games the entirety of the year, we will get em, next year, exited for the future. 

Go colts!

• Like 2

Just now, Smonroe said:

No you ask your best player to do what he does best. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

I remember the people on this board that actually said that Minshew is better and should start over AR earlier on this season. I hope you feel dumb. As a starting QB, he's mediocre at his very best. Decent backup though, but that's it. The receivers didn't help him out a ton either tbh, but the bad drops does not excuse how inaccurate he was in key moments throughout the game. What a meh throw to end the season.

I don't believe in Pierce at all. The guy on the field across from Pittman can't simply be a distraction and very rarely a home run hitter. A distraction and a great run blocker can be the 4th WR on the roster, not the second WR who is on the field most of the game.

I also remember the people on this board that actually didn't think JT wasn't worth $14M per year. He's been that guy with absolutely mediocre QBs throughout most of his career. You're simply wrong. Special players are worth the money, even if you're paying more than the average starter at his position. He's going to look even better with AR next to him next year.

Bradley should have coached his last game as a DC. His zone defense will be ripped apart by Shroud and Lawrence going forward. Those two, especially Stroud, simply have good enough touch to exploit his defense. But besides the DL, the talent on the defense has been very lacking this year. I don't think Juju looks like he will ever be a great CB1, sorry. Maybe a decent CB2, but we need to add elite talent in the DB room. I could say the same thing about the LB position though unfortunately.

The only reason this doesn't sting as badly is because it's AR's era now. There's 0 doubt in my mind he would have won this game if he played. It's not like he could of done much worse then Minshew was passing. He only played 2.5 games this year but in that time, he played far, far, far more poised then anyone expected him to be. His biggest haters were saying he would average 40% passing and would be throwing picks galore. He didn't do either and had the ability to break huge plays every snap. Can't wait to watch that next year.

pierce is way to slow every passing play he is getting tightly covered . no break away speed and is a average route runner , he is only good on deep shots

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Atleast Luck era we owned the division we need to do that first. Why can't we beat Jaguars? I mean they are not even hottest team at the moment yet we can never beat them. Anyways I am very happy with HC working with the personnel he had in backup QB. The DC of not his choice but hopefully he can bring someone better, and Ballard drafting or signing better DB (CB and S). Hopefully not to see Baker ever in Colts uniform again. 

Whatever people says about Shane he is a hell of a coach and has done amazing job. Should he have punt instead of kicked? Well kick was good because it had enough distance so cant really blame him for the miss. Was it a poor 4th down call? It was amazing if it worked because Minshew hit Goodson right in the hands have he caught and make 1st down we would be saying Shane is wizard. 

Anyways this was more of a rebuilding season with Rookie QB, and then backup QB. We were given 3 to 4 wins in the beginning of season, and coming out with 9 - 8 record is amazing season.  I think with draft picks to improve this team we will only get better. Go Colts, and thanks to this awesome community. 

Colts only won the division twice with Luck.

Interesting strategy to play the entire game terrified Minshew will make a mistake and then put the entire game on him on 4th and game

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It really isn’t hard. Bring in an extra blocker and run the ball there. Or even have a better play call on 2nd down. 

Run the ball, keep the timeout.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree.  But let’s face it…do you think we would have won next week?

Not in the slightest. It’s probably best that we ended the season now. Better draft position. You can’t make a run with Minshew unless you’re the 49ers.

• Thanks 1

They Ran JT into the ground. I don’t understand why Moss did not get more touches to take the pressure off of JTs legs . JT clearly ended up getting hurt and it impacted his running ability. The play calling IMO was too damn passive. Once Houston committed to stopping the run Shane should’ve dialed up some play action plays to attack them. Instead they continued to run the ball leading to an absurd amount of 4th and 1s smh. Idk if the moment was too big for Minshew but he missed SEVERAL throws and it didn’t help that they didn’t give him the opportunity to get a groove going. Sorry I am going to blame coaching / playcalling on both sides of the ball for this loss. 

1 minute ago, SR711 said:

Once again, a Colts season is torpedoed by a foolish gamble that was made on a certain position group (this year being the secondary) that is littered with young, untested, Day 2, Day 3 draft picks.  Color me skeptical, but I would caution those who think that Ballard will be aggressive in filling in the holes there are on this roster which are keeping the team from being elite.   

I mean. Yes- but it wasn't Ballard gambling that left us in that situation. It was Isaiah Rodgers. 

22 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Wonder if they wait till Monday to can Bradley? Hope not. Tomorrow would be fine

Really hope he’s gone soon. Find a DC who actually can scheme to take away the opponents best weapons instead of letting them do whatever they want like Bradley did.