Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More bad secondary play

basspapaw

Not surprising when you figure what we lost from last year and this year. We now have a 7th round rookie and an array of CB's no other team wanted playing on outside. Plus a 7th round Safety that has regressed from his rookie year. 

Gilmore

Rodgers

Flowers 

Brents

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not surprising when you figure what we lost from last year and this year. We now have a 7th round rookie and an array of CB's no other team wanted playing on outside. Plus a 7th round Safety that has regressed from his rookie year. 

Gilmore

Rodgers

Flowers 

Brents

Ballard when everyone knew we needed to improve the secondary.

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard when everyone knew we needed to improve the secondary.

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

He did draft 3 CB's and a safety . Maybe there wasn't a good FA CB that wanted to sign with Indy ?  We would look a lot better with Flowers and Brents available. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

It was BAD, but made much worse by the fact the DL for most of the game was not pressuring Carr without a blitz call. The front 7 was equally bad today.

Agree . Franklin was bad , Leonard was bad and like you said the pass rush was lousy . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Letting Gilmore go should not have happened. A lot of veteran db's have been allowed to leave before the tank was dry.

The defensive line has two good players and the rest are fill ins at best. Colts have maybe 5 players that could start for any team. Their backups would not make many other teams practice squads.

The Colts still do not their franchise qb on this team. Richardson is not the answer. Yea, he can run and get hurt over and over again. I predict he will not start long enough to get first veteran contract extension. 

Before everyone bashes my post, look around at all the playoff implication talk before the jags rip off 5 victories, two against the colts. Now the colts lack of talent, due to Ballards inability to build a solid program to compete in the vastly improved AFC South division.

I like the coaches on this team. The guys who are drafting and picking up castoff players have a lot to be desired.

It eats me alive that people miss a mr. irrelevant like Brock Purdy and pick guys like Richardson who showed nothing at Florida in a ten game career because he can run fast and be exiting to watch. This team needs to build a good defense then worry about scoring. Colts are in a rebuild. Lets face it.

We don't have the players, which is obvious.  Even if we had good players back there, this soft defensive scheme would get carved up in today's NFL.  Sometimes I think that's what it will take for some people to finally see that Bradley's scheme (and the scheme that Ballard loves and drafts for) will absolutely not work in today's NFL.  

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

It was BAD, but made much worse by the fact the DL for most of the game was not pressuring Carr without a blitz call. The front 7 was equally bad today.

And when they did blitz Carr burned them deep.  Blitzes aren’t going to fix everything, especially with a young secondary.  In todays NFL you HAVE to be able to get to the QB with your front four.  If you can’t you are in deep trouble.

• Like 2

We all knew how Tony would play. That’s all we had with an already depleted secondary. The defense as lacks an edge rush that can get constant pressure rather that be playing the run and pass. The middle of the field is still a glaring issue. Right over the top of the Linebackers in between the safeties. We need an upgrade at the free safety position. 

3 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I also blame Gus Bradley, he’s so hot or cold with the defensive play calling. Last week was Exhibit A. Deshaun Watson goes down and we’re bumrushing PJ Walker and it’s effective as all hell. Then inexplicably, we do stuff like sit back in coverage and get torched most the second half.

Today wasn’t much different. I honestly think it’s less the players and more the vanilla bring 4 guys and plain coverages.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

Agree . Franklin was bad , Leonard was bad and like you said the pass rush was lousy . 

We paid Leonard and he gets injured and hasn’t been the player we paid for since. Flipping annoying as crap. The Maniac is basically a mild tempered man now. I see a shadow of the player he was on his rookie contract.

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

We paid Leonard and he gets injured and hasn’t been the player we paid for since. Flipping annoying as crap. The Maniac is basically a mild tempered man now. I see a shadow of the player he was on his rookie contract.

All of this happened when he changed his name to Shaq 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

Letting Gilmore go should not have happened. A lot of veteran db's have been allowed to leave before the tank was dry.

The defensive line has two good players and the rest are fill ins at best. Colts have maybe 5 players that could start for any team. Their backups would not make many other teams practice squads.

The Colts still do not their franchise qb on this team. Richardson is not the answer. Yea, he can run and get hurt over and over again. I predict he will not start long enough to get first veteran contract extension. 

Before everyone bashes my post, look around at all the playoff implication talk before the jags rip off 5 victories, two against the colts. Now the colts lack of talent, due to Ballards inability to build a solid program to compete in the vastly improved AFC South division.

I like the coaches on this team. The guys who are drafting and picking up castoff players have a lot to be desired.

It eats me alive that people miss a mr. irrelevant like Brock Purdy and pick guys like Richardson who showed nothing at Florida in a ten game career because he can run fast and be exiting to watch. This team needs to build a good defense then worry about scoring. Colts are in a rebuild. Lets face it.

He wasn’t let go he was traded. He actually requested the trade. So Gilmore no longer wanted to play here.

4 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Here is what people are missing. We r continually asking out front 4 to beat 5 oline. That only happens if  u have at least 2 legit  players up front. Who do the Colts have? I say one. U double Buckner and the other guys have to beat their man. Qbs know this. They also r throwing quick cause they know we r playing off. Now if the dbs play up, the qb is going deep  cause they cannot cover. It's kind of a damned if  do and  damndd if u don't. Now if they bring 5 and don't get enough pressure, it leaves wide open holes or the dbs are playing man and get torched.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

He wasn’t let go he was traded. He actually requested the trade. So Gilmore no longer wanted to play here.

And before someone says Taylor did the samething and they didn’t trade him, Taylor is a young player who is in their long term plans.  Gilmore is an aging vet on the last year of his deal who was not.

There are about 5-6 young(ish) corners on some practice squads around the league that could be improvements over Baker and Brown. That could be an alternative to street free agents or massive trades!??!

Brown, btw, is in the same boat as Minshew. He is a career backup and special teamer for a reason. When a team can focus on him they can attack him easily.

Flowers, Brents and Jones are all young and pretty good. Unfortunately this year is a wash once AR5 went down. So Brents and Jones will just have to learn on the fly!

Brown should have been benched at halftime. It was obvious by the second drive of the game that he was in over his head on the outside. 

Either Baker should have come in or Moore should have been moved to the outside. I like Gus but that was a horrendous decision leaving Brown out there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Here is what people are missing. We r continually asking out front 4 to beat 5 oline. That only happens if  u have at least 2 legit  players up front. Who do the Colts have? I say one. U double Buckner and the other guys have to beat their man. Qbs know this. They also r throwing quick cause they know we r playing off. Now if the dbs play up, the qb is going deep  cause they cannot cover. It's kind of a damned if  do and  damndd if u don't. Now if they bring 5 and don't get enough pressure, it leaves wide open holes or the dbs are playing man and get torched.

a bad case of lack of above average talent, that is on ballard

• Like 2

My issue is that you’re gambling with house money anyways. You were expecting your starting corners to be a 5’10” 170 lb. Kid from UMASS taken in the 6th round and a 2nd year UDFA from Pittsburgh State? Along with your 7th round FS from Yale back there too starting. That was never going to work.

He’s getting like Grigson in that regard. Always thinking he’s smarter than everyone else and he’ll have top position groups that beat the better teams in the NFL comprised of UDFAs and Paye round guys from small schools. He needs to do better.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

There are about 5-6 young(ish) corners on some practice squads around the league that could be improvements over Baker and Brown. That could be an alternative to street free agents or massive trades!??!

Brown, btw, is in the same boat as Minshew. He is a career backup and special teamer for a reason. When a team can focus on him they can attack him easily.

Flowers, Brents and Jones are all young and pretty good. Unfortunately this year is a wash once AR5 went down. So Brents and Jones will just have to learn on the fly!

Jones actually held his own last game.   Didn't hear is name much. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My issue is that you’re gambling with house money anyways. You were expecting your starting corners to be a 5’10” 170 lb. Kid from UMASS taken in the 6th round and a 2nd year UDFA from Pittsburgh State? Along with your 7th round FS from Yale back there too starting. That was never going to work.

He’s getting like Grigson in that regard. Always thinking he’s smarter than everyone else and he’ll have top position groups that beat the better teams in the NFL comprised of UDFAs and Paye round guys from small schools. He needs to do better.

That tweet is right. The young corners were playing well. But he hasn’t been pro active to fix it.

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That tweet is right. The young corners were playing well. But he hasn’t been pro active to fix it.

I disagree with they were playing “well”. Was Rodgers better than Facyson last year? Absolutely. But like I was saying in another topic, these are guys who made a handful of good plays and he just bet the house on. They showed no type of consistent production. JuJu Brents had played better than any of those guys in his first 4 starts before injuries. Even though EJ Speed and Grover were late round picks from small schools, you gotta be realistic. There’s a reason why those guys go late in the draft. I never got the Rodgers or Flowers hype. What’s weird is the similar rises to being starters.

Both were guys who had elite speed and started on special teams. Made a couple of really nice plays as returners and had a handful of defensive plays were they were solid against lower competition and got dubbed as the starter going forward. IMO Rogers and Flowers were always depth guys. Not starters.

• Thanks 1