Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we start 0-3, should we start a fire sale?

AKB

Realistically, the only player that really fits that strategy is Buckner.  He is old enough to probably not see the results of a rebuild in his playing prime, so you trade him to a team that has a window now.

I think other players like Nelson, Smith, and Leonard are young enough to have value to the Colts as players who can contribute to the Colts future window.   Trade them if you can, but I think their value to the Colts is greater than the mid round picks we would get for each and better talented than their replacements with the capital we would get.

Other players have no trade value, realistically.  But if we could get a high second round pick for anybody, I would do it.

I doubt it, at least with the offensive guys, because they are still trying to develop Richardson.  They aren’t going to gut the offense and try to do that.  That’s counter productive, especially when you consider all the key peaces on offense other than maybe Kelly are still young.  

Defense with older guys like Buckner or Stewart could be different if they truly feel they are out of it at 0-3.  Remember 9-8 won the South last year, this isn’t the AFC East where you will might have to win 12 or 13 games to win it.  I am not saying the Colts will challenge for the South title this year but I don’t think Ballard will start thinking about trades until he feels they have no shot at the division title and even at 0-3 they might not put them out of the AFC South race.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I doubt it, at least with the offensive guys, because they are still trying to develop Richardson.  They aren’t going to gut the offense and try to do that.  That’s counter productive, especially when you consider all the key peaces on offense other than maybe Kelly are still young.  

Defense with older guys like Buckner or Stewart could be different if they truly feel they are out of it at 0-3.  Remember 9-8 won the South last year, this isn’t the AFC East where you will might have to win 12 or 13 games to win it.  I am not saying the Colts will challenge for the South title this year but I don’t think Ballard will start thinking about trades until he feels they have no shot at the division title and even at 0-3 they might not put them out of the AFC South race.

I'm mainly thinking Kelly, Kenny Moore, Blackmon, Buckner, Leonard, Braden Smith possibly

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Realistically, the only player that really fits that strategy is Buckner.  He is old enough to probably not see the results of a rebuild in his playing prime, so you trade him to a team that has a window now.

you might be able to pick up something for Pitt too if you didn’t want to pay that salary next year.  I don’t think he’s good enough for 20 mil+ personally.

I think other players like Nelson, Smith, and Leonard are young enough to have value to the Colts as players who can contribute to the Colts future window.   Trade them if you can, but I think their value to the Colts is greater than the mid round picks we would get for each and better talented than their replacements with the capital we would get.

I don’t think you can throw AR to the dogs by moving Q and Smith.  They wouldn’t bring a ton with their cap numbers anyway.

Leonard has no value as of now and at his number wouldn’t have brought much even in his prime in a trade.

a fire sale would be hard to detect lol.  I could see fishing Buck and if you didn’t want to pay MPJ 100 mill, throwing they lure in the pond.  That’s not much of a fire.

Other players have no trade value, realistically.  But if we could get a high second round pick for anybody, I would do it.

ditto.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

My prediction for Colts fans next season ?

friends sleep GIF

It’ll be rough.  But like the manning rookie season if AR looks like he has a shot, it won’t be all that painful.

Also if Paye and Dayo can produce a pass rush to justify the investment then that will alleviate some Colts pain too.

but I’d be shocked I’d we are a very competitive Fb team this season.

I hope to get electrocuted starting in September lol.

• Like 1

OMG - you're already ready to throw the team under the bus??

New coaching staff.

New franchise QB who is a rookie.

JT drama has taken on a life of it's own.

New faces in several starting positions.

Need I go on?

You DON'T have a "fire sale" when you're trying to BUILD A TEAM just because there are "bumps and bruises" along the way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree with you.  (Wait, what?  I agreed with you on something???)

Both Buckner's and Kelly's contracts expire the year after next.  And are both the same age.  Neither would realistically be in their prime when AR starts getting into his.  I think Buckner has value now, if we wanted to do it.  But I don't think Kelly does.

All that being said, I still disagree with doing the fire sale.  Call me old fashioned, but I'm still of a mind to consider our guys "Our Guys".  They're Colts.  And we don't trade them away just for cap reasons or draft picks.  At least, not intentionally.  We keep the guys that are good.  Come what may.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:53 AM, AKB said:

those are good points, but was it really a good thing?

sure, it is impressive to be able to maintain faith in a locker room, but how many 1-4, 1-5 0-2 starts did Reich have? Yeah, we always ended up breaking close to .500 or even getting close to a wildcard, but what fruits did it bear? Absolutely nothing. 

starting 1-5 and then ending up 10-6 doesn't really deserve a banner

I beg to differ

7wy1f4.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I'd start selling now to get Marv's kid or the USC QB.  

Probably won't be able to get Williams unless they have #1 pick. But Maye could be a possibility. If they land a top 3 pick, Ballard will just trade it back and then grab a DL/OL player. 

On 8/21/2023 at 7:23 PM, AKB said:

If we get off to a bad start, should we start trading veterans with value? 

Please discuss below for extra credit. 

The problem with a fire sale is that everyone knows it’s a fire sale and you end up getting back pennies on the dollar.  

The team knows this is very likely not going to be a winning season.   So the players you might want to trade will likely still be a part of the teams future.  

There might be one or two vets who might want to be moved, but short of that, I’m fine holding steady and watching the team get better, slowly but steadily, on a weekly basis.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with a fire sale is that everyone knows it’s a fire sale and you end up getting back pennies on the dollar.  

The team knows this is very likely not going to be a winning season.   So the players you might want to trade will likely still be a part of the teams future.  

There might be one or two vets who might want to be moved, but short of that, I’m fine holding steady and watching the team get better, slowly but steadily, on a weekly basis.   

You make good points, especially when it comes to people showing up to an estate sale kinda of ordeal. Expecting to get a deal. Kinda reminds me when the Dolphins off loaded all those players like Minkah and that LT, oh Tunsil

1 hour ago, AKB said:

You make good points, especially when it comes to people showing up to an estate sale kinda of ordeal. Expecting to get a deal. Kinda reminds me when the Dolphins off loaded all those players like Minkah and that LT, oh Tunsil

I assume you’re being sarcastic?   

Who could you trade that would bring back decent compensation but also not hurt the team? I was big on trading Shaq but is anyone going to trade for an aging LB with a ridiculous contract? Pittman won’t get you anything in a contract year. Buckner and Grover probably won’t get you much either. You can trade Nelson but the OL already has issues. Plus he’s another guy with a contract that’s hard to move.

• Like 1

Maybe I would go the other way. If the Cardinals are tanking and having a fire sale, I'd get Marquise Brown for a 6th rounder if possible. He is in a contract year, and unlike the AZ Cardinals, we probably intend to keep AR longer than they intend to keep Murray?? Based on that logic, we can see if Brown would work for our system with AR and he would add variety to our WR corps filled with big X type / possession guys outside Josh Downs.

No, even if we have a bad season I don’t think one is needed.  We’re not up against the cap so no need to shed contracts either.  The people we want locked up are and those who have contracts coming up they will not break the bank.  We need to keep pieces here to keep building.  If those pieces aren’t preventing us from building this team then they should stay.  

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume you’re being sarcastic?   

no sir, i was not 

its a valid point

i think the main counterargument is that if two teams, or more have a need, they will have to bid, wich counters the bargain bin or estate sale idea. 

but you make a valid point, when people know you're selling, they often low ball. especially if selling fast

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

The fact that two teams have made offers for JT tells me that the FO is clueless.  

He is the only guy on this team worth being paid and we are gonna dump him as a 24 yr old.  This team is headed for years of bad football in my opinion.  

That’s only true if Mr. Taylor is actually healthy.

I wont be shocked with an 0-3 start......and I dont think the GM who is the architect of the build back backward plan will deal away vets that he overpaid for.....its just going to take time to sort out the mistakes and wrong think the team has operated under,....and that will take more than 1 season no matter what....