Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we start 0-3, should we start a fire sale?

AKB

10 minutes ago, Nancy said:

Hmmm don't be so negative minded!  I see some good things happening for the team!  Well Done Yes GIF by Declan McKenna

I'm not a negative Nancy. 

It's really just a question, because 0 -3 isn't out of the question, even if its fun to watch with AR.

• Like 1

The answer is a resounding no. This is a team that, barring major injuries, should improve through the year. Lots of young talent that will have a big learning curve but should get better with each game. Hang in there; it’s gonna be a bumpy but most interesting ride. 

• Like 5

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

Didn’t we start really bad like 0-3 or 1-4 with luck and made the playoffs ?

We started 1-5 in 2018 and this place was imploding with some of the most embarrassing posts. We finished 10-6 that season and won a playoff game. Many people don't have patience, that is a bad trait to have. Being a baseball fan has taught me a ton about having patience. When the Cubs were 42-48, I wasn’t even worried. Now they are 65-59 and would make the playoffs if the season ended today. 

This season is not even about wins/losses anyway. If we win that will be gravy. I just want to see if AR looks like a legit future QB.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We started 1-5 in 2018 and this place was imploding with some of the most embarrassing posts. We finished 10-6 that season and won a playoff game. Many people don't have patience, that is a bad trait to have. Being a baseball fan has taught me a ton about having patience. When the Cubs were 42-48, I wasn’t even worried. Now they are 65-59 and would make the playoffs if the season ended today. 

This season is not even about wins/losses anyway. If we win that will be gravy. I just want to see if AR looks like a legit future QB.

those are good points, but was it really a good thing?

sure, it is impressive to be able to maintain faith in a locker room, but how many 1-4, 1-5 0-2 starts did Reich have? Yeah, we always ended up breaking close to .500 or even getting close to a wildcard, but what fruits did it bear? Absolutely nothing. 

starting 1-5 and then ending up 10-6 doesn't really deserve a banner

I'm just so tired of this team starting so slowly and the team having to make some sort of heroic comeback on the season to even potentially have a sniff at the playoffs.

It would be nice for once in the last 10 years or so to have the team make a good start where we constantly arent playing catch up from day 1.

Here's to hoping we can catch up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKB said:

those are good points, but was it really a good thing?

sure, it is impressive to be able to maintain faith in a locker room, but how many 1-4, 1-5 0-2 starts did Reich have? Yeah, we always ended up breaking close to .500 or even getting close to a wildcard, but what fruits did it bear? Absolutely nothing. 

starting 1-5 and then ending up 10-6 doesn't really deserve a banner

I am tired of the slow starts too. I would love to just win on opening day. I guess my point was, if we start 0-3 this season I would just have more patience than usual, considering we have a rookie QB.

• Like 3

I think our “veterans with value” are highly paid, and underperformed last season.  So trading them isn’t going to be easy.

The goal is to build a team to support AR in the future.  We have a lot of young guys to do that.  Stay the course.  

• Like 3

My answer is a definite no. I don't care what the record is this year. This is the time to let everyone learn.

What I think should be done and I think is being done is to point to the 2025-2026 season and beyond. This year, learn and gain confidence and an identity as a team. Next year, compete and maybe be in the playoff picture toward the end. Realize then that every play, every detail makes a difference. Be ready then to be the team you want to be. 

No, too soon at 0-3. Trade deadline is on Oct. 31, so if we can showcase guys like Darius Leonard, Buckner etc. with good health, chances are your return will be greater then. The trade deadline is midway into the season with 8 games under the belt, on October 31st, Halloween. 1-7 or 2-6, if it happens, we should think about it then, IMO.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am tired of the slow starts too. I would love to just win on opening day. I guess my point was, if we start 0-3 this season I would just have more patience than usual, considering we have a rookie QB.

yes i hear you

15 hours ago, AKB said:

If we get off to a bad start, should we start trading veterans with value? 

Please discuss below for extra credit. 

Kelly, Kenny, and Mo were supposedly available pre-draft so there could be a market at the trade deadline from contenders with injury issues. Maybe even Pittman, you just never know.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AKB said:

If we get off to a bad start, should we start trading veterans with value? 

Please discuss below for extra credit. 

We have nothing of value except maybe Pitt for 3rd or so.  Maybe Buckner for a 2nd or 3rd at his number.  

I know people are going to be sad/mad but this is reality IMO.  We can't just tear apart the oline with a rookie QB, but even if we were going to do that, we have negative assets across the board.  The salary don't match the production.

we are a hot mess as an organization.  

The good thing is that if we are terrible, then we can make a quick decision on AR.   If they don't see enough from him, they can draft another guy. 

• Like 2

The only time this team should think of trading their best players is when they are officially knocked out of the playoffs and they decide to rebuild. If we have yet another deplorable season, I can see  players like Shaq, Moore, Buckner, Pitt, Nelson become disgruntled and want out! Seems to be the theme the past few years! The Colts need to build better depth in most areas through the draft, so they could trade for good draft picks if they trade their vets! I’m on my last nerve with Ballard though! If AR happens to fail as a starting QB, Ballard should leave asap!

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

We have nothing of value except maybe Pitt for 3rd or so.  Maybe Buckner for a 2nd or 3rd at his number.  

I know people are going to be sad/mad but this is reality IMO.  We can't just tear apart the oline with a rookie QB, but even if we were going to do that, we have negative assets across the board.  The salary don't match the production.

we are a hot mess as an organization.  

The good thing is that if we are terrible, then we can make a quick decision on AR.   If they don't see enough from him, they can draft another guy. 

i was mainly thinking about Buckner

Just now, AKB said:

i was mainly thinking about Buckner

He's tradeable.  I think they could deal him towards the deadline possibly.  Pitt the same way.  They have to decide if they want to rehire him for 20mill+ a year.  Doing that with Pitt doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Irsay is a screwed up as he looks. One day Taylor is out the next day Irsay says on the Colts bears game he wants him. Listen to him talk as he repeats himself until you beg for his mic to break. Something is not right upstairs.

When did he say he wanted taylor out?  He has said the exact opposite 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Go Cubbies.  Been a fun watch for a last month or so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Agreed, a fire sale would be gutting the team for mid to late picks.  We dont have many guys that really stand out in trade value.  No one would trade for shaq with that contract.  

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

He's tradeable.  I think they could deal him towards the deadline possibly.  Pitt the same way.  They have to decide if they want to rehire him for 20mill+ a year.  Doing that with Pitt doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

i wanna see what he can do with a playcaller not named Reich, then i'll be able to talk about Pitt. One thing I do know, is he is a physical WR and a tone setter at the position. Also, his routes seem to be getting better so far from what i've seen

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think our “veterans with value” are highly paid, and underperformed last season.  So trading them isn’t going to be easy.

The goal is to build a team to support AR in the future.  We have a lot of young guys to do that.  Stay the course.  

Agreed. And if the team starts off 0-3 the likely answer, or part of the answer, as to why is that those veterans are not performing up to their contracts.