Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel - Yowsa! Ouch!

Archer

Didn't he get the memo that this season is going to be more about playing the young guys and developing them? I think it's pretty well accepted at this point we'll most likely not win a lot of games this year. It's about setting up the future more than anything else. If we were dead set on winning the Super Bowl I don't think we would've picked up Minshew... 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Saw this earlier.  Dude is just the worst.  Not because he's pessimistic, that I can understand.  But he's just such a whiny little baby about everything and is condescending as all get-out.

Jared Stillman who is an on air radio guy in Nashville would love him them since he also likes to bash the Colts whenever he can. It’s funny that Stillman is so homeristic about his Titans thinking they could possibly go far into the playoffs lol. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Saw this earlier.  Dude is just the worst.  Not because he's pessimistic, that I can understand.  But he's just such a whiny little baby about everything and is condescending as all get-out.

I refuse to click on the link to his article, because of those exact reasons. His brand is whiny contrarian. He magnifies any perceived negatives and writes clickbait articles just to get rage clicks.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

This is what happens when you get diarrhea of the mouth, or keyboard in this case. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Jared Stillman who is an on air radio guy in Nashville would love him them since he also likes to bash the Colts whenever he can. It’s funny that Stillman is so homeristic about his Titans thinking they could possibly go far into the playoffs lol. 

We can thank Joe Burrow for basically ending the Titans' careers. 

• Like 2

This article is way over the top just to make Colts fans read it. the truth is we have no idea how this season will work out. It depends on so many factors. Will Richardson be ready anytime soon? I hope so and what about Taylor and the offensive line?

The defense is very young in the secondary minus Moore 

I was hoping for a division title but if I was forced to give an answer I would say 7 wins 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, he spends however many paragraphs on Chris Lammons, a late July pickup at a questionable position. Lammons is a typical roster churn player, added to the team right when camp was starting. This kind of move is never representative of a team's roster building intentions. He probably has a 50/50 shot at making the final roster, maybe less given his upcoming suspension

Interesting thing about this signing is we don't have to cut him for 3 weeks into the season, if we wanted to. Which gives us a guy that will know the system already if there is an injury or under performance in the first 3 weeks.

Colts clearly knew the suspension was coming, so it seems like a good strategic move, for these purposes at least. Extra insurance at a position of unknown, at that the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I just read this thing. Begrudgingly. Do as you wish, but be warned: It's a complete waste of time.

Long story short, the Colts don't have a great roster this season. Didn't we know that already? We have a rookie QB. This season is almost entirely about determining whether or not that QB is good enough to build around. Without that questioned answered, the quality of the rest of the roster is almost irrelevant.

He leads in with a critique of the Taylor situation. And while he acknowledges that the RB market is in flux, he also finds a way to take issue with the Colts for doing something that's entirely justified by the market.

Also, he spends however many paragraphs on Chris Lammons, a late July pickup at a questionable position. Lammons is a typical roster churn player, added to the team right when camp was starting. This kind of move is never representative of a team's roster building intentions. He probably has a 50/50 shot at making the final roster, maybe less given his upcoming suspension. Why is this even worthy of consideration? (Something like 35% of the guys on the roster right now won't be here in a month.)

It's just nonsense, top to bottom. Typical of Doyel. Going on about perceived weak spots on a team that's basically doing a reset this season seems unnecessary. Unless the goal is to stir up drama. And that's probably what he was going for.

I agreed with the inclusion of Lemmons. Doyel was pointing out the Colts’ hypocrisy — Ballard always blabbing about focusing on  “high character” guys and “locker room culture” and then he signs an average at best DB under suspension for stomping on a guy in a fight Vegas. This after giving Gilmore away and releasing Facyson. I thought it was a fair point. 

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I agreed with the inclusion of Lemmons. Doyel was pointing out the Colts’ hypocrisy — Ballard always blabbing about focusing on  “high character” guys and “locker room culture” and then he signs an average at best DB under suspension for stomping on a guy in a fight Vegas. This after giving Gilmore away and releasing Facyson. I thought it was a fair point. 

If you want to criticize the decision to sign a guy who has questionable off field character, have at it. It doesn't work for me, though. First, Ballard has never said that the Colts would not bring in players who had some issues off the field. He's always stressed 'football character,' which refers to a player being coachable, working hard, etc. People seem to not want to acknowledge the distinction, but these are different things.

Second, they signed Lammons to a vet minimum contract at the start of training camp. If he didn't have a legal issue, we'd be calling him a camp body, because that's essentially what he is. He's not setting the tone in the locker room, they aren't building the DB room around him, they didn't give up a premium pick to acquire him... He's just a late offseason addition. And ironically, he plays a position at which Doyel says the team needs to be better. So he's kind of having his cake and eating it, isn't he?

Lastly, what does this so-called hypocrisy have to do with Gilmore and Facyson? They left for entirely different reasons, having nothing to do with character or the locker room. So are we criticizing the roster decisions because the Colts haven't added better players at perceived weak positions, like DB? Or are we criticizing the team over so-called hypocrisy because Lammons has an off field issue? Seems like the point is just to be critical, whether it's deserved or not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Gilmore asked to be traded and earned that choice. That you think we should have wanted Facyson back... chuckle. 

• Like 1

Pessimistic to be sure.  But were there any lies in the article?  I didn't see them if there were.

In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone writes about the Colts, does it?

If you're looking for upbeat articles and lofty predictions - just go back to last year around this time.  A good number of articles predicted the Colts to win the division.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, coltsfanmurf said:

He lost me when he called Faycson our 2nd best cover corner.  Dude was TERRIBLE!!!!

I think both statements can be true.  After Gilmore, Kenny had the most snaps and he was bad.  Faycson had the next most snaps.  So, even though we all thought Rodgers and Flowers were better, the Colts didn't see it that way.

This young CB group has a lot of potential, if they can get on the field.  But besides Moore, the lack of experience has to be the worst in the league.

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you want to criticize the decision to sign a guy who has questionable off field character, have at it. It doesn't work for me, though. First, Ballard has never said that the Colts would not bring in players who had some issues off the field. He's always stressed 'football character,' which refers to a player being coachable, working hard, etc. People seem to not want to acknowledge the distinction, but these are different things.

Second, they signed Lammons to a vet minimum contract at the start of training camp. If he didn't have a legal issue, we'd be calling him a camp body, because that's essentially what he is. He's not setting the tone in the locker room, they aren't building the DB room around him, they didn't give up a premium pick to acquire him... He's just a late offseason addition. And ironically, he plays a position at which Doyel says the team needs to be better. So he's kind of having his cake and eating it, isn't he?

Lastly, what does this so-called hypocrisy have to do with Gilmore and Facyson? They left for entirely different reasons, having nothing to do with character or the locker room. So are we criticizing the roster decisions because the Colts haven't added better players at perceived weak positions, like DB? Or are we criticizing the team over so-called hypocrisy because Lammons has an off field issue? Seems like the point is just to be critical, whether it's deserved or not.

In other words - the point was to get people's attention.  Which he succeeded in doing.

IMHO, he (or anyone) has the right to be pessimistic until the Colts prove them wrong.

• Like 1

Doyle is either trying to lower expectations, or he completely misses the point of this season - entertaining football while trying to learn how to win as a team. His view of this recent history of the Colts has tainted is vision of the future.

So, does Doyle discount that all 7 of our 2021 pro bowlers are still on this team?  (At least, for right now?)

True, we stunk it up last year.

But we still have some good players on this team.  Doesn't mean we're playoff bound.  But I think we're better than what some of the predictions are saying.

Including Doyle.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Doyle is either trying to lower expectations, or he completely misses the point of this season - entertaining football while trying to learn how to win as a team. His view of this recent history of the Colts has tainted is vision of the future.

This is a fair perception, IMO. I think this cynical viewpoint he's presenting would have been appropriate last season. I'm not a cynical person, but when everyone was saying Matt Ryan could be the missing piece, and Irsay was saying Matt Ryan came to Indy for a Super Bowl, I was saying I didn't think we had a SB caliber roster. So when we talk about expectations in previous seasons, it's valid to say that people have tended to think more highly of our chances than they probably should have.

But this season, it's silly to be nitpicking about specific position groups. We aren't in a contending window this year. At CB, for example, we just drafted a bunch of young guys, and want to see what they can do. Why would we keep 33 year old Gilmore?

Even at OL, where the play improved noticeably toward the end of the season, why wouldn't we wait to see what Raimann looks like? In fact, I'd argue we should have gone even younger, particularly at center. I will agree, I wanted us to draft some interior depth and competition, and would have liked a veteran swing guy also. But I think coaching will be a big factor at OL, and I'm eager to see how it looks even with the guys we have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

It took me five seconds to find this quote: “We want high character guys that love football, that will hold each other accountable.” You can imagine he said “high football character” but he didn’t. “There’s tons of these examples. At one point after he had been here a while he even said something like Yeah, our locker room culture is good enough we could bring in some guys with troubled pasts. You can look for the direct quote if you want. I’m not even disagreeing with you that it’s a whatever signing but to say it doesn’t go against what CB has preached seems wrong to me. 

5 hours ago, Archer said:

He's a first rate A.......  Always has been his schtick.

• Thanks 1

Yeah.  I may be on an island, but I completely disagree with the "team has little to no talent, and can't be competitive" crowd.  Are we YOUNG in almost every area?  Absolutely.  Talentless?  Far from it ...

QB - AR....  We'll see, Minshew is solid backup           lvl at least

RB - JT if healthy is all world,                                         Drake/Moss/Hull/Jackson there's a solid           room there.

WR - Pitt/Pierce/Downs

TE -  The two trees, and Granson, MAC is avg.

OL - Raimann has potential, Q,Kelly,Smith didn't forget how to play...

K - Top 5 

P - solid

DL - Defo, Grove Great, Ebukam solid, Kwity,      Odenigbo, Ade Ade, have potential.....Taven and Tyjuan good depth....

LB - Looks like 53 Is likely going to be close if not back to his old self, Zaire is solid, EJ and the 2nd year guy look like good depth and STers

CB - Kenny is anything from below avg to solid....  JuJu,  rush, JJ, are all young and HUGE....  They'll take their lumps but should be exciting to watch grow 

S - Blackmon is + lvl starter when healthy, R. Thomas is avg+ and Cross looks like a riser....

There's talent in there .....No, they aren't all All pro players this year, or maybe ever.... But could they win the division in a year or two? Absolutely, if not this year with a few big breaks their way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yeah.  I may be on an island, but I completely disagree with the "team has little to no talent, and can't be competitive" crowd.  Are we YOUNG in almost every area?  Absolutely.  Talentless?  Far from it ...

RB - JT if healthy is all world,                                         Drake/Moss/Hull/Jackson there's a solid           room there.

WR - Pitt/Pierce/Downs

K - Top 5 

P - solid

DL - Defo, Grove Great, Ebukam solid, Kwity,      Odenigbo, Ade Ade, have potential.....Taven and Tyjuan good depth....

LB - Looks like 53 Is likely going to be close if not back to his old self, Zaire is solid, EJ and the 2nd year guy look like good depth and STers

CB - Kenny is anything from below avg to solid....  JuJu,  rush, JJ, are all young and HUGE....  They'll take their lumps but should be exciting to watch grow 

S - Blackmon is + lvl starter when healthy, R. Thomas is avg+ and Cross looks like a riser....

There's talent in there .....No, they aren't all All pro players this year, or maybe ever.... But could they win the division in a year or two? Absolutely, if not this year with a few big breaks their way.

Doyle discounts the Ebukam signing totally while ignoring Samsom graded out much higher then Yannick who he is replacing (Run defense not even close between the 2). Ignored the Taven Bryan addition (Former 1st round pick who started 16 games last season). AQM resigning (17 game starter 2 seasons ago here). We have a much deeper team up front then we have had in years. 

4 of our starting 5 OL spots locked in, final spot between Fries and Ekiyor. Skipper was a 5 game starter last season and was brought aboard. Freeland seems to be a real solid rookie by all reports. I wouldnt have been against another vet and we may yet see that during the cut down to 53 process. But no vet we could bring in would be as much a factor as Q,Smith and Kelly regaining form. We also have a very solid young LT in place not a thing many clubs have.

I think this club has a ton of potential if can avoid the injury bug, if Leonard back to 75% of his old self the D wont be an issue, The young DBs wont be under as much pressure and keep an eye on Darrell Baker may be the surprise of camp.

• Like 1

I know the local Indy media are not popular with this community.   But for my money, Doyel is the only media member who I intensely dislike.   He’s in a class of his own in a bad way.  

I’ll eventually read the story, but it’s always a chore with him.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

WR - Pitt/Pierce/Downs

K - Top 5 

P - solid

Yeah, I personally love that he said we’re devoid of elite talent.  Two years ago we had the most PBers in the NFL with 7, which is one measure of top tier talent.  All seven are still on the team, and only one (a LS) is over 29.  We have the the talent, we just gotta have a QB and get everyone playing to their level again…

• Like 3

The outlook for this season is growth not wins or loses. Then again 2012 was an even worse roster then this one and got 11 wins. I still think this team can get 7 and I'll take that as a successful season 

• Thanks 1