Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel - Yowsa! Ouch!

Archer

I wanted to add some more reasoning for why these $16-20m rumours are logically sound in my opinion at least. 

We know there was a zoom call for RBs where the current market situation was discussed. There’s a general unhappiness among RBs with how much they are being paid.
This to me pretty much means they want to show a united front to GMs and they want to force a salary increase in general for RBs. 
In my eyes it looks like JT chose to be a front man for this “movement” or at least to be one of the first to start the negotiations. 
If he sees himself as a top RB in the league and RBs in general want to reset the market then JT would have to ask for at least CMC money which is $16m per year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I wanted to add some more reasoning for why these $16-20m rumours are logically sound in my opinion at least. 

We know there was a zoom call for RBs where the current market situation was discussed. There’s a general unhappiness among RBs with how much they are being paid.
This to me pretty much means they want to show a united front to GMs and they want to force a salary increase in general for RBs. 
In my eyes it looks like JT chose to be a front man for this “movement” or at least to be one of the first to start the negotiations. 
If he sees himself as a top RB in the league and RBs in general want to reset the market then JT would have to ask for at least CMC money which is $16m per year. 

CMC has years over JT of being one of the top RBs in the league.  JTs one season (2 seasons ago) don't touch what CMC has done in his career.  

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Like I said, it's a base for discussion. I'm not saying it's facts, but it's all we have. All we know for sure is Taylor doesn't want to play for $4.3m and Ballard and co. aren't ready to pay him until they've seen him with the new offense. Everything else is rumour based or pure speculation. If we can't discuss on those premises there're quite a few threads that's needs closing at this point.

I disagree. Threads are for discussion. That is what everyone is doing. That is fine. My point was simply that no one knows exactly what JT wants. That is just one of many viewpoints in the discussion. I believe that some here are reading more into my statement and assuming that I mean that no one can discuss JT or his contract because I wrote that no one knows exactly what he wants. That  was not what I was trying to convey. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I disagree. Threads are for discussion. That is what everyone is doing. That is fine. My point was simply that no one knows exactly what JT wants. That is just one of many viewpoints in the discussion. I believe that some here are reading more into my statement and assuming that I mean that no one can discuss JT or his contract because I wrote that no one knows exactly what he wants. That  was not what I was trying to convey. 

I can say Homer Simpson is a source and a great one and some may believe it Homer Watching GIF-to your point, I don't believe much I read on Twitter that aren't associated with the team. I respect Holder, Bowen and Query, JMV, after that not many others.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I get it. That makes sense. My point was simply that no one knows for sure what JT wants. Some on Twitter posted comments saying that indeed he was looking for $20 million per year. Comments like that rile fans up and elicit anger and resentment from the average person when they may or may not be true.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can say Homer Simpson is a source and a great one and some may believe it Homer Watching GIF-to your point, I don't believe much I read on Twitter that aren't associated with the team. I respect Holder, Bowen and Query, JMV, after that not many others.

haha

As a Colts fan, what is a reason and acceptable contract for JT? I know you want him back.

Just now, NFLfan said:

haha

As a Colts fan, what is a reason and acceptable contract for JT? I know you want him back.

3 years/39 million = 13 million a year. I would guarantee at least half that, like 20 million guaranteed. When McCaffrey signed his 4 year/64 million deal = 16 million a year, he got 38 million guaranteed.

13 million isn't breaking the bank or hurting our Salary Cap. It also is a pretty good contract imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

CMC has years over JT of being one of the top RBs in the league.  JTs one season (2 seasons ago) don't touch what CMC has done in his career.  

Oh I completely agree, but that wasn’t the point. If JT and his agent feel JT is a top RB and they want to reset the market they’d have to demand at least what the current highest paid RB is getting. 

I wouldn’t pay him that kind of money and I don’t think Ballard will either or any other team in the league for that matter.

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Like I said, it's a base for discussion. I'm not saying it's facts, but it's all we have. All we know for sure is Taylor doesn't want to play for $4.3m and Ballard and co. aren't ready to pay him until they've seen him with the new offense. Everything else is rumour based or pure speculation. If we can't discuss on those premises there're quite a few threads that's needs closing at this point.

No it’s not.  For all we know it’s wild speculation being presented as fact.  That shouldn’t be the bases of anything just because we don’t have the facts we want.  There is plenty of facts and things to discuss about the Taylor situation even if you remove this so yes you can have discussion.  Also, no one said people can’t speculate.  However, there is a difference in presenting what you think or want to happen vs posting a twitter link that isn’t based in fact that is being presented as fact.  As we have seen many people have taken those two links as fact and that has not been good.  That’s how “fake“ news gets spread.  We don’t have the facts we want or like so we just make up something and present it as fact.  That’s crosses a line beyond speculation.  

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it’s not.  For all we know it’s wild speculation being presented as fact.  That shouldn’t be the bases of anything just because we don’t have the facts we want.  There is plenty of facts and things to discuss about the Taylor situation even if you remove this so yes you can have discussion.  Also, no one said people can’t speculate.  However, there is a difference in presenting what you think or want to happen vs posting a twitter link that isn’t based in fact that is being presented as fact.  As we have seen many people have taken those two links as fact and that has not been good.  That’s how “fake“ news gets spread.  We don’t have the facts we want or like so we just make up something and present it as fact.  That’s crosses a line beyond speculation.  

Like I said in a post after the one you quoted, the tweets I reposted aren’t huge leaps of imagination. In fact, going with what we know, they are logically sound. That doesn’t make it fact, but if some people aren’t capable of separating “what if” discussion from fact that shouldn’t mean the rest of us can’t discuss it. 

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I'd believe a credible report (re: not some no-name on Twitter) saying he wanted $16m/year. Setting aside the depression in the RB market, it would make sense for him to ask for a match of the biggest RB contract from three seasons ago. 

What doesn't make sense is asking for a 25% increase from the top of the market, especially given how the RB market has changed recently. So there's a lot of reason to question the idea of a $20m/year asking price.

I don't think we have any credible reports offering any specific figure or range that JT would like. Just unsubstantiated rumors that appear to have gotten some traction because they were tweeted by someone with a blue check. 

But I do agree with the bolded. Seems like JT decided to carry the torch. He has reasonably good standing to do so. But him going from 0-100 so quickly makes me think it's bigger than just a normal contract dispute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'd believe a credible report (re: not some no-name on Twitter) saying he wanted $16m/year. Setting aside the depression in the RB market, it would make sense for him to ask for a match of the biggest RB contract from three seasons ago. 

What doesn't make sense is asking for a 25% increase from the top of the market, especially given how the RB market has changed recently. So there's a lot of reason to question the idea of a $20m/year asking price.

I don't think we have any credible reports offering any specific figure or range that JT would like. Just unsubstantiated rumors that appear to have gotten some traction because they were tweeted by someone with a blue check. 

But I do agree with the bolded. Seems like JT decided to carry the torch. He has reasonably good standing to do so. But him going from 0-100 so quickly makes me think it's bigger than just a normal contract dispute.

I agree the $20m is probably off by a bit, but I think the $16m aligns pretty well with what we do know. But, to the bolded, with JTs agent it doesn’t have to make sense apparently. 

I don’t get why it went from 0-100 so quickly. Some rumours suggested it was because the Colts wanted JT to come in early for a check up, but how’s that unreasonable given his injury?

Either JT and his agent completely dropped their marbles or something’s happened that hasn’t been reported on.

They are rebuilding around an experienced and young rookie.  It didnt make sense to go all in this year. Doyel actually sounds mad that he has to cover the team this year.

He really comes off as though he doesnt even like this job, its just what he was able to land.

It could be a down year, with maybe the worst colts roster in a while.  It wasnt the time to spend though

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

Gregg Doyel of the Indianapolis Star has already been "bashin' on the boys in blue"!!

In a recent article - he indicated that the Colts would be fielding "the worst roster in decades" in 2023.

Agree or disagree?

In general, if you want to be a good person, and enjoy a life filled with positivity and general good mental and emotional health....it is a simple prescription.

Always disagree with Gregg Doyel.

19 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

In general, if you want to be a good person, and enjoy a life filled with positivity and general good mental and emotional health....it is a simple prescription.

Always disagree with Gregg Doyel.

I LOVE THIS RESPONSE!!!

I choose to never read anything Gregg Doyel writes - but - saw just the first few sentences - and - had to reach out to the forum.

I DO NOT think we are anywhere near the worst roster in decades.

Are there some questions here and there - yep!!

Do we have a rookie QB who is gonna take some expected "rookie lumps" - yep!!

Do we have drama with our star RB who has pulled a "Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde" on the Colts - yep!!

Completely disagree. I would easily say the Cardinals will have the worst roster in the league this year. And if the JT situation gets resolved or he is traded for a 2nd or two 3rds while also signing someone like Hunt or Cook, then this offense could be explosive as soon as this year. The OL appears to be better this year, and I believe more in Steichen then I ever did in Reich. Also the Colts seems to have a good trio of WRs in MPJ, Pierce, and Downs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

The roster isn't that much different from last season - when they were predicting the Colts were going to win the division.

It's better considering they most likely upgraded at QB since Matt Ryan was washed up, got better at WR with the addition of Downs, and is trending to adding Leonard back in the fold at LB. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 12:46 PM, Archer said:

Not even close to the worst roster in years.  Which position group are they so devoid of talent?