Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay “we’ll see” on Shaq Leonard (MERGE)

GoColts8818

This is not encouraging.   I’m not as much worried about this season as my expectations are not very high.   But if this was going to be a meaningful year, then the Colts would be in trouble.  It would be nice if there was ANY encouraging news, but sadly,  there’s not.   Life goes on. 

• Like 5

I was not expecting Leonard to be ready at this point.

I was also thinking that he would probably not do much at camp at all.

So, one could say that Irsay was simply telling the truth.  No, he's not ready right now.  Yes, he has made improvements.  No, we don't know when he's gonna be good to go.  (We don't even know IF he's gonna be good to go.)

Have we learned anything new?  No.

Do we have an excuse to fret and worry anyway?  Sure, now we do.  You may commence fretting.

• Like 1

People on here used to get angry when we mentioned retirement and his name.

If he can’t get healthy or quickly finds out that he isn’t capable of quality play anymore after returning to the field he is retiring.

He won’t be on the roster at this point next year. It sucks because he was a great player and a good person for the org.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I've been nervous about him since early last offseason. Kind of writing him off at this point...

Time to cut our losses. I need to review his structure but I think we have an out after this year

• Like 4

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Time to cut our losses. I need to review his structure but I think we have an out after this year

Pre June 1st:

$12.124m in cap space saved

2023 dead cap - $8m

Post June 1st:

$16.124m cap space saved

2023 dead cap - $4m

2024 dead cap - $4m

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Pre June 1st:

$12.124m in cap space saved

2023 dead cap - $8m

Post June 1st:

$16.124m cap space saved

2023 dead cap - $4m

2024 dead cap - $4m

So yeah, we can cut him easily then. Assuming he doesn’t play worth it for two consecutive years

I just hope he doesn't rush it. If he can never get back to the level he expects and feels comfortable with, then it was a damn good, albeit short, run by him. Seems like he was way too impatient last year despite a lot of fans saying he was milking his injury or demanding him back on the field.

I don’t see any reason to cut Shaq now.   What good does it do to get more salary cap relief when there’s no one really worth the money who is likely to want to join the Colts? 

Besides….  If he’s not ready to go by Sept 1, he might be ready by 10/1 or 11/1.   Cutting him too soon only to have Shaq regain his form for another team would be a bad look for the Colts. 

Patience is still the key even though it’s hard for all of us in Colts Nation.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said in my 2023 bold predictions that Leonard would retire before the season began. Unfortunately, it might not be too bold. Just really frustrating they didn't draft a LBer.

Maybe there’s no reason to be frustrated.   

Maybe there is no reason to have drafted a linebacker.  

Maybe Shaq will be ready on 9/1.   Maybe 10/1.   Maybe 11/1.   

Maybe the people who run the franchise have more inside info than the average fan.  

I know the news is not good — yet.  But the news may not be as bad as it’s being made out to be right now.   

Just food for thought…..    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see any reason to cut Shaq now.   What good does it do to get more salary cap relief when there’s no one really worth the money who is likely to want to join the Colts? 

Besides….  If he’s not ready to go by Sept 1, he might be ready by 10/1 or 11/1.   Cutting him too soon only to have Shaq regain his form for another team would be a bad look for the Colts. 

Patience is still the key even though it’s hard for all of us in Colts Nation.

I’m not saying cut him now, I’m saying IF he’s not available for the second consecutive season, you cut him AFTER the season is over when you actually could save some money going into next season. 

• Thanks 1

It is what it is. No sense getting too worried over a situation we have limited information on and have absolutely no control over. Would love to see Shaq get back to form. Regardless if it's this season or next. 

If last year showed anything, defense was the least of this teams problems. Our LBs were actually one of our bright spots. We lost Bobby Okereke but both Speed and Franklin played very well too. 

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said in my 2023 bold predictions that Leonard would retire before the season began

He wont because he can come back and go through the motions and get paid a lot of money this year, he isnt cuttable right now.  If he doesnt play this year the team can have a serious talk about cutting him next year

• Like 1

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

If he can't stay on the field this season, it makes no sense to keep him. And that's too bad, because when he's healthy he's an incredible playmaker. Shoot, he made a ton of plays in 2021 on one ankle. But at a certain point, you have to turn the page.

I hope he gets back to normal this season. But it's concerning that he's still limited at this point, with no timetable. 

• Like 4

Well, he was one of the best LBs for a few years. Hopefully he can return to form but back and nerve injuries are so unpredictable. If he doesn’t play much this year I fully expect him to be cut before next season. I have no idea if he will play much this year or not though. 

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

If he can't stay on the field this season, it makes no sense to keep him. And that's too bad, because when he's healthy he's an incredible playmaker. Shoot, he made a ton of plays in 2021 on one ankle. But at a certain point, you have to turn the page.

I hope he gets back to normal this season. But it's concerning that he's still limited at this point, with no timetable. 

If he can’t stay on the field this year I think it’s time Indy trades or releases him. He is money being wasted while on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m not saying cut him now, I’m saying IF he’s not available for the second consecutive season, you cut him AFTER the season is over when you actually could save some money going into next season. 

That’s fine.   To be clear, my post was not aimed at you.   It was for everyone in the discussion.   But if we’re potentially talking about next year, and he’s still not back, then I think we’d have a different and sad conversation.   

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I said in my 2023 bold predictions that Leonard would retire before the season began. Unfortunately, it might not be too bold. Just really frustrating they didn't draft a LBer.

Why would he retire when he is owed the money he is owed?  He isn't retiring

I don't think you can fix nerve damage.

ACL, Achilles, broken bones, maybe.

If Leonard can't play it would be nice if he just retired and gave the Colts some salary cap relief.

But I fear he's going to come in, play 3 games and be out the rest of the season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I don't think you can fix nerve damage.

ACL, Achilles, broken bones, maybe.

If Leonard can't play it would be nice if he just retired and gave the Colts some salary cap relief.

But I fear he's going to come in, play 3 games and be out the rest of the season.

Yes,  nerve damage can heal

Seriously folks - this is the off-season.

The media wants detailed and specific information.  That can't be provided at this point in the process - so the ugly spectre of suspicion sets in.

He'll return WHEN HE'S READY - and - NOT ONE MINUTE BEFORE.

That's the intelligent thing to do for Shaq - for the Indianapolis Colts defense - and - for the Colts 2023 NFL season.

I'm fine with that - BECAUSE it's the only way to have him at 100%.