Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay “we’ll see” on Shaq Leonard (MERGE)

GoColts8818

3 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

Out of curiosity what is the longest stretch for a GM not linked to ownership, who has maintained their job without a division title? Anyone..

High School GIF

But he is transparent!! Listen I have been  one of Ballard's biggest critics but I will give him a 2nd chance. To me the Taylor contract is one to watch. If he over pays then I will have one foot off the band wagon lol.  On GM said it best. It is so easy to fire some one and start  over but u don't know what u r getting. Sometimes, u keep the guy u got because it is easier to work with what u got and smooth over those imperfections.  Irsay likes Ballard a lot and I think they have had some productive conversations and where he Ned's to improve.  Irsay believes he sees a guy that can learn and one day be a great GM. I hope he can and to me Taylor is a huge one to watch. He has Taylor in a corner and does not have to give in. Let him play out this year and franchise him next year. I think Taylor wants like 14 to 15 million a year and there is now way I am paying that. Ballard needs to be harder with these 2nd contracts and let some of them play out.  I think he is to eager to sign guys he drafted because he over values them and then it is evidence that he is a good drafter. Case in point, Leonard and Nelson . If we would have let those contracts play out as I said, we wouldn't be in the mess we r in with those contracts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But he is transparent!! Listen I have been  one of Ballard's biggest critics but I will give him a 2nd chance. To me the Taylor contract is one to watch. If he over pays then I will have one foot off the band wagon lol.  On GM said it best. It is so easy to fire some one and start  over but u don't know what u r getting. Sometimes, u keep the guy u got because it is easier to work with what u got and smooth over those imperfections.  Irsay likes Ballard a lot and I think they have had some productive conversations and where he Ned's to improve.  Irsay believes he sees a guy that can learn and one day be a great GM. I hope he can and to me Taylor is a huge one to watch. He has Taylor in a corner and does not have to give in. Let him play out this year and franchise him next year. I think Taylor wants like 14 to 15 million a year and there is now way I am paying that. Ballard needs to be harder with these 2nd contracts and let some of them play out.  I think he is to eager to sign guys he drafted because he over values them and then it is evidence that he is a good drafter. Case in point, Leonard and Nelson . If we would have let those contracts play out as I said, we wouldn't be in the mess we r in with those contracts.

Leonard likely signs a bigger deal after the 2021 season

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

It ain't over till it's over.... 

Ain't going to believe he's done until he says so. And the other way round... Only gonna believe he's healthy, when he's on the field again. 

But yes, it's concerning that there still isn't really good news on his health. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I feel like the Colts really dropped the ball by allowing Bobby Okereke to walk while Leonard continues to sit on the sidelines while eating a huge chunk of cap space after signing that huge 5-year $100 million dollar contract in 2021.

I'm sure they would have loved to keep him.   The giants paid him pretty well

6 hours ago, AustexColt said:

If at this stage there is no firm positive confirmation that Shaq will be on the field, than he is done with football. The injury as a MLB takes him out of the game. I am not holding to illusions. Thanks Shaq for all you have done. 

Not that you’re wrong, but that’s been discussed all week… right here

• w87r changed the title to Jim Irsay “we’ll see” on Shaq Leonard (MERGE)
On 7/11/2023 at 8:55 AM, cjrulli said:

It is what it is. No sense getting too worried over a situation we have limited information on and have absolutely no control over. Would love to see Shaq get back to form. Regardless if it's this season or next. 

If last year showed anything, defense was the least of this teams problems. Our LBs were actually one of our bright spots. We lost Bobby Okereke but both Speed and Franklin played very well too. 

I agree 

18 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Questioned a few months ago Leonard's desire after huge payday. Can't say I feel comfortable about whether or not he returns to the hungry Darius he once was.

He got paid before the 2021 season.   The best season of his career

On 7/15/2023 at 2:59 PM, hoosierhawk said:

Questioned a few months ago Leonard's desire after huge payday. Can't say I feel comfortable about whether or not he returns to the hungry Darius he once was.

He had an injury and surgery.  That’s not about desire.  If anything the fact he put off the second surgery so long trying to play and the fact he’s rehabbed twice now shows he still has the desire to play.  Whether he returns to his old form remains to be seen but if he doesn’t it’s not going to be because he doesn’t have the desire it’s going to be because his body failed him.  It would suck but that happens in football.  He wouldn’t be the first and he wouldn’t be the last to have that happen to them.  I don’t know where some of you come up with this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He had an injury and surgery.  That’s not about desire.  If anything the fact he put off the second surgery so long trying to play and the fact he’s rehabbed twice now shows he still has the desire to play.  Whether he returns to his old form remains to be seen but if he doesn’t it’s not going to be because he doesn’t have the desire it’s going to be because his body failed him.  It would suck but that happens in football.  He wouldn’t be the first and he wouldn’t be the last to have that happen to them.  I don’t know where some of you come up with this stuff.

Most logical response I’ve seen to this situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Just my impression. Hope 100% I am wrong butsorry if I offended anyone.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I'm not offended. Want to ask a comparative question, though. 

Do you think Alex Smith lost his desire to play after his leg injury? He got a big payday from Washington, got hurt, took a long time to get back on the field, and then retired shortly after. 

3 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

If you follow the timeline you would see you are completely wrong.   He signed his contract in August of 2021.  He had his best season directly after signing that contract.   All the evidence you need

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know, he could become a Titans fan. They just got D. Hop.

If anybody would be a Titans fan, it probably should be me.

Year after year, they draft the players on my board, instead of the Colts.

Marcus Mariota, Jack Conklin, Adoree Jackson, Rashaan Evans, Harold Landry, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown, Amani Hooker, Dillon Radunz, Dez Fitzpatrick, Rashad Weaver, Roger McCreary, Will Levis....

For good or for bad, they drafted the players I wanted!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

If anybody would be a Titans fan, it probably should be me.

Year after year, they draft the players on my board, instead of the Colts.

Marcus Mariota, Jack Conklin, Adoree Jackson, Rashaan Evans, Harold Landry, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown, Amani Hooker, Dillon Radunz, Dez Fitzpatrick, Rashad Weaver, Roger McCreary, Will Levis....

For good or for bad, they drafted the players I wanted!

I remember you liking those players before the draft. I wanted Landry as well. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, jvan1973 said:

He got paid before the 2021 season.   The best season of his career

What criteria are you using to claim 2021 was his best season?

His rookie and 2nd years were higher by a little according to pff His 3rd season wasn’t particularly great, and the way I remember his 2021 season was he played about the level he did in 20 with nagging injury and somewhat slowed with the remarkable exception of punching balls.

You keep hammering your talking point of 2021 being his best season.  What are you using to support that statement?

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was listening to a podcast and they explained Leonard’s injury pretty well. Apparently when they fixed the nerve in the leg it destroys all the muscle. So then he had to build all the muscle back up.

In my opinion, he's done. He's going through the motions for optics. He will be a cheerleader again this season.

Well Done Yes GIF by Indianapolis Colts

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

His rookie and 2nd years were higher by a little according to pff His 3rd season wasn’t particularly great, and the way I remember his 2021 season was he played about the level he did in 20 with nagging injury and somewhat slowed with the remarkable exception of punching balls.

You keep hammering your talking point of 2021 being his best season.  What are you using to support that statement?

I am sure he will answer you but I agree with him. He played all 16 games, only time in his career. He also had 4 INT's and 8 Forced Fumbles = 12 turnovers which is video game numbers by 1 player. He gave Wentz and the offense so many extra chances to score. Most of the turnovers he created were in crucial situations as well, like the INT he had vs the Pats down by the goaline.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

8 forced fumbles 4 interceptions and played all 16 games .  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am sure he will answer you but I agree with him. He played all 16 games, only time in his career. He also had 4 INT's and 8 Forced Fumbles = 12 turnovers which is video game numbers by 1 player. He gave Wentz and the offense so many extra chances to score. Most of the turnovers he created were in crucial situations as well, like the INT he had vs the Pats down by the goaline.

I think Nick mentioned the fact that Leonard had the remarkable ability to punch the ball out during that season, acknowledging the TOs.  But as a complete LBer, I don't think his play was as good as the previous seasons.....even though he played all 16 games, was he not playing with nagging injuries, including the "ankle" all season (which was later diagnosed as a leg nerve problem).  As a LBer, he sort of lived off of the peanut punches. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Nick mentioned the fact that Leonard had the remarkable ability to punch the ball out during that season, acknowledging the TOs.  But as a complete LBer, I don't think his play was as good as the previous seasons.....even though he played all 16 games, was he not playing with nagging injuries, including the "ankle" all season (which was later diagnosed as a leg nerve problem).  As a LBer, he sort of lived off of the peanut punches. 

To me, that makes his season even more impressive. He did most of that playing with injury. He also had 122 combo tackles in 2021 which ranked high in the league not too far off from his 2020 total of 132. Why should Leonard be penalized for having a knack of punching the ball out in a fans eyes? I would think any fan would love that. I would love to have a guy like that on my team. The guy creates turnovers which going back to the 2000 season, the team that wins the turnover battle wins 80% of their games.

• Like 1