Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s just assess we are HORRIBLE. (Maybe not).

sb2001

1 hour ago, sb2001 said:

If we are REALLY bad, do you stay or do you go. I’m here since 1969… wow, that a long time, but I would LOVE to hear your opinion on this upcoming season.

I've been a fan since 1998. I'm not going anywhere. I don't mind being bad as long as A.) Richardson develops while being bad and 2.) Ballard is still the GM and gets us another really good draft class while being bad.

I'm a fan of "If you are bad, be really bad. Don't be mediocre". I understand we have the best shot at our future at QB since Luck with Richardson. He'll just take work since he's raw. This is where we want to be though, and I'm all-in for the team. 

It’s mid-June.   Who knows anything?   Predictions by the fans are all over the map.   Predictions by the media are mostly not kind.   Again, no one knows anything right now.   

Enjoy the off-season and come back in late July!    Have fun!   

Wha... what is this thread?

I'm fairly certain that if you are passionate enough about the Colts to have an account on this forum, that you aren't going anywhere if we have a bad season with a rookie QB and a rookie new head coach.

IMO this season we can afford to be ... not great. This season is more about development and assessment of our youth and especially the QB. If we see good promise from Richardson I'd be good with pretty much any type of record at the end of the season... 

5 hours ago, sb2001 said:

If we are REALLY bad, do you stay or do you go. I’m here since 1969… wow, that a long time, but I would LOVE to hear your opinion on this upcoming season.

what-number-69.gif

Seriously though..... If you've made it this fa(r (through waaayyy worse)  you surely can't be considering giving up now. 

Weird thread. We have not been very good for a while. Most fans on these boards are not going any where if they sick this year. Fair weather fans don't usually spend a lot of time on team message boards. 

What's more interesting is if we suck and get the number 1 pick, do we pick another QB or get Harrison Jr.? 

7 hours ago, sb2001 said:

Psh what a question. I mean even the Browns that had multiple single win and no win seasons still had fans showing up. 

The bandwagon fans that are only fans of teams when they are popular and winning will go away(thankfully), the rest of us ride or die fans will stay. Like you, I’ve been a fan when we were so bad, a highschool flag football team could have beat us, we’re not close to that bad yet

29 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Weird thread. We have not been very good for a while. Most fans on these boards are not going any where if they sick this year. Fair weather fans don't usually spend a lot of time on team message boards. 

What's more interesting is if we suck and get the number 1 pick, do we pick another QB or get Harrison Jr.? 

I think you grab Jr. Pair him with AR and see what happens. AR is gonna take 2-3 years , they won’t draft his replacement even if we go 0-17 this year. 

most likely scenario is that if we get number 1, we will trade back a few spots for a kings ransom and try to take a star at that point. Hopefully we could grab Jr still in the process but this also assumes Jr is as good as his name sake

40 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

fan for 50+ years, so not going anywhere. 

Tough question. Think it depends on several things:

1. Does AR show enough to reaffirm to Ballard & Steichen that he's the guy?

If yes, then no to picking a QB

2. What kind of season does MHjr have?

If he is a game changer, take him, although...see #4.

3. What do CB & SS think of the 2024 QB class? 

If there is a "can't miss" guy, (like Luck was) and AR still looks like a question mark, take the QB & look to trade AR. 

4. What kind of haul can you get for the #1 pick? This leads into the question "what teams do we think will be looking for a QB for 2024?" 

AFC

Raiders             Jimmy Garoppolo

Patriots             Mac Jones

Steelers            Kenny Pickett

Titans               Ryan Tannehill/Will Levis

NFC

Falcons             Desmond Ridder

Lions                Jared Goff/Hendon Hooker

Packers            Jordan Love

Vikings            Kirk Cousins

Saints              Derek Carr

49ers               Brock Purdy/Trey Lance

Seahawks        Geno Smith

Bucs                Kyle Trask/Baker Mayfield

Commanders  Sam Howell/Jacoby Brissett

I would not rule out the Cowboys or Dolphins either. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think you grab Jr. Pair him with AR and see what happens. AR is gonna take 2-3 years , they won’t draft his replacement even if we go 0-17 this year. 

most likely scenario is that if we get number 1, we will trade back a few spots for a kings ransom and try to take a star at that point. Hopefully we could grab Jr still in the process but this also assumes Jr is as good as his name sake

So your saying we pass on Caleb Williams, the guy everyone is saying is the next Andrew Luck type prospect in the hopes that AR develops into something special. That would be incredibly dumb IMO.

Bruh. I’ve watched the entirety of 3-13 seasons. I’m not going anywhere. I’d love to see the O-line return to form, and of course Anthony Richardson to have some success. I’m guessing we’ll fall shy of the playoffs, but still be somewhat competitive under the new regime. Hoping for the best though!

If you personally have roots in this community, like I do for 25 years, it only amplifies your fandom, IMO. Only 1 team wins the SB anyways. The rest, fans are what makes the league tick. I am not going anywhere else with my fandom.

Yes, I’m a fan of good football and players but my heart lies with the Colts first and foremost. This is the community that embraced me and made me feel at home.

Wins and players come and go, franchises typically stay around.

After being consumed last season by the "psycho circus" - I hope to see progress weekly from all three units.

I don't think we are anything close to "horrible" - but - there are some reasons for concern until shown otherwise.

Lord bless our Colts!!

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

So your saying we pass on Caleb Williams, the guy everyone is saying is the next Andrew Luck type prospect in the hopes that AR develops into something special. That would be incredibly dumb IMO.

I think it’s a possibility. 

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Actually it’s not entirely dumb. 

let’s say we do get  number one overall and trade it. We get say Marvin at 2-5, and get extra firsts in the process? Then if AR still flames out, we’d have a shot at Arch Manning the following year…

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

let’s say we do get  number one overall and trade it. We get say Marvin at 2-5, and get extra firsts in the process? Then if AR still flames out, we’d have a shot at Arch Manning the following year…

FWIW:

The early reviews on Arch Manning are seriously underwhelming.   Most people didn’t have him with a 5-star ranking when he graduated HS.   Then he goes off to Texas and doesn’t win the job outright.   The best think Arch has going for him would appear to be….  His last name.  

Arch might be great someday but that day would appear to be far off.    

Richardson is going to struggle this season if he starts early on. Too young with too little experience not to. I think Ballard/Steichen and Irsay understand that but fans on the other hand are always there to eat up the hype and then bash the player if he underperforms. Richardson will be tested mentally the most this year with these kind of expectations placed on him from the get go.

I'll watch the Colts until I die tbh. I don't care how good or bad they are 

I’ve been a fan since 90 or 91. I can’t remember if I started following the Colts in 3rd or 4th grade.  My favorite baseball team was the Reds so I also did like the Bengals as well.  Once I got to middle school it was all Colts.  I have really chilled out the past few years with football in general though. Part of it may be the Colts have been inconsistent but it also coincides with when we had our son so maybe I’m just busy.  Still post on these boards every week but I don’t follow the draft or other teams much at all.  If they are really bad this year I can see myself skipping 2-3 games if the family has something they want to do. Not sure if that makes me a fair weather fan or not. 

I have been a fan since 1984 when the team moved here. I have seen worse, 1984-1986 was brutal and so was part of the early 90's. 1991 was one of the worst teams in NFL history at 1-15. I live in Indianapolis, always have so it easy for me to stay a fan no matter what.

2003-2014 gave me enough joy to last a lifetime (excluding 2011 but that gave us Luck). 4 Conference Championship games in that time frame = 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014 and 2 SB appearances = 2006, 2009 + our SB Championship in 2006.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been a fan since 1984 when the team moved here. I have seen worse, 1984-1986 was brutal and so was part of the early 90's. 1991 was one of the worst teams in NFL history at 1-15. I live in Indianapolis, always have so it easy for me to stay a fan no matter what.

2003-2014 gave me enough joy to last a lifetime (excluding 2011 but that gave us Luck). 4 Conference Championship games in that time frame = 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014 and 2 SB appearances = 2006, 2009 + our SB Championship in 2006.

To add to this, Richardson has me curious. He and Taylor together could be scary. Anything could happen this season, we could go 5-12 or 10-7? I see us in the middle of that at 8-8-1. I think Richardson will be at least average, I think Taylor has a monster year, and I think our defense keeps us in most games. The schedule isn't real rough either. 

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Arch Manning will not be eligible for the draft until the 2026 draft. Unless the NFL change the rules a player has to be on a college roster at least 3 years before they can be drafted. I like most fans, do not want to sit through 3 more sucky seasons to wait on a guy that might not even be great. Marvin Harrison Jr looks like the real deal as proven with his play at Ohio State. If we suck this season we maybe can grab him, who knows. He would help AR out no doubt.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:51 AM, Tsarquise said:

If we are picking in the top 3 next year we have to do whatever we can to draft MH Jr..he’s an unbelievable prospect and could be our true number 1 wide receiver we haven’t had since the days of his dad and Reggie.

Well.... I don't know if fandom in American Football is different(I don't think so) .... But for sbdy who grew up as a soccer fan (and especially of a club that had a lot ups and downs the last 25 years and still is known for it's loyal and frenetic fanbase) it's unthinkable to "leave" your club. 

Anybody who does is no fan. He/she is a so called "Plastic"! 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:24 AM, sb2001 said:

I like to watch and root for good football.  The Colts have not played well for a few seasons now.  My interest in watching them has come from my loyalties....hopes that they win.   Not only have they not won, they seem to be obviously behind the times in understanding what it takes.   The Frank/Ballard combination produced some uninspiring seasons, even when they won games.

Frankly, I think JAX is a more interesting team at the moment.  They have probably an elite QB, and always a stout defense lead by the pass rush.   That's how you win.  Elite QB on O, and a strong pass rush on D.  Now they have better WRs too (on paper) with Kirk and Ridley.  And they have a SB winning HC. 

The Colts have been bad at QB, WR, and pass rush for years.  And the GMs efforts in improving these areas has been un-urgent, IMO.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I like to watch and root for good football.  The Colts have not played well for a few seasons now.  My interest in watching them has come from my loyalties....hopes that they win.   Not only have they not won, they seem to be obviously behind the times in understanding what it takes.   The Frank/Ballard combination produced some uninspiring seasons, even when they won games.

Frankly, I think JAX is a more interesting team at the moment.  They have probably an elite QB, and always a stout defense lead by the pass rush.   That's how you win.  Elite QB on O, and a strong pass rush on D.  Now they have better WRs too (on paper) with Kirk and Ridley.  And they have a SB winning HC. 

The Colts have been bad at QB, WR, and pass rush for years.  And the GMs efforts in improving these areas has been un-urgent, IMO.

You would make a great Jags fan. Go for it! Did you wear a clown outfit in 2021 too?

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Arch Manning will not be eligible for the draft until the 2026 draft. Unless the NFL change the rules a player has to be on a college roster at least 3 years before they can be drafted. I like most fans, do not want to sit through 3 more sucky seasons to wait on a guy that might not even be great. Marvin Harrison Jr looks like the real deal as proven with his play at Ohio State. If we suck this season we maybe can grab him, who knows. He would help AR out no doubt.

But he’s entering year two correct? So 2025’s draft would be the year he could declare?

but regardless I think we’re married to AR for 3-5 years. 

The departure of Luck was a knockout punch but you can't say the Colts did not try to fill the gap with three QBs that had very good records but failed to deliver. I like the drafting of Richardson because at least he provides hope long-term. Buffalo, Cincinnati and Los Angeles all have outstanding QB but none made it to the SB last year.

32 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You would make a great Jags fan. Go for it! Did you wear a clown outfit in 2021 too?

No.  In 2021, they were as uninspiring as the Colts were.  Their QB was not very good, their WR situation did not have two big additions, and their HC was a mess.  They had a decent pass rush but it was asked to do too much.

But their GM figured it out in about a year, and now they are probably favorites to win the South.

I wouldn't say I was a fan of JAX, but I respect what they have built and where they are now.  I probably root for them and Cincy to represent the AFC in the SB if its not the Colt.

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

i have been totally turned off by ballards inept attempts at putting a decent team on the field. i cant take it anymore. as i am moving to pensacola fl my new team will be jax who will dominate the afc south for years to come.

7 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i have been totally turned off by ballards inept attempts at putting a decent team on the field. i cant take it anymore. as i am moving to pensacola fl my new team will be jax who will dominate the afc south for years to come.

Enjoy your new team.

Archived