Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s just assess we are HORRIBLE. (Maybe not).

sb2001

12 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i have been totally turned off by ballards inept attempts at putting a decent team on the field. i cant take it anymore. as i am moving to pensacola fl my new team will be jax who will dominate the afc south for years to come.

Saints (primary) & Dolphins (secondary) territory! 

On 6/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, DougDew said:

But their GM figured it out in about a year, 

Their GM prioritized premium positions and signed solid FA additions, that's why.. It does not take 6-7 years to build a playoff team.  Got to give it to Ballard though, because Richardson was probably the only player in the draft that bought him a couple extra years as GM if the Colts stink again in 2023. :lol:

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 11:06 AM, DougDew said:

No.  In 2021, they were as uninspiring as the Colts were.  Their QB was not very good, their WR situation did not have two big additions, and their HC was a mess.  They had a decent pass rush but it was asked to do too much.

But their GM figured it out in about a year, and now they are probably favorites to win the South.

I wouldn't say I was a fan of JAX, but I respect what they have built and where they are now.  I probably root for them and Cincy to represent the AFC in the SB if its not the Colt.

“Their GM figured it out in one year and made the playoffs”

Interesting….    Hmmm….

If only the Colts had a GM that was hired in 2017 and a year later had a draft that was so good that the Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6, made the playoffs, and even won a playoff game.   

You seem completely unaware that what you envy in Jacksonville in 21-22 actually happened here in Indianapolis in 17-18.   

You are literally writing multiple posts that Ballard doesn’t know what constitutes modern NFL football, yet you do.   I don’t believe that’s a good look, but you clearly disagree.    Good luck with that. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting….    Hmmm….

If only the Colts had a GM that was hired in 2017 and a year later had a draft that was so good that the Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6, made the playoffs, and even won a playoff game.   

You seem completely unaware that what you envy in Jacksonville in 21-22 actually happened here in Indianapolis in 17-18.   

You are literally writing multiple posts that Ballard doesn’t know what constitutes modern NFL football, yet you do.   I don’t believe that’s a good look, but you clearly disagree.    Good luck with that. 

Ballard had an elite QB in Luck that season for Ballard's lone playoff victory with the Colts. Since then, no elite QB, no playoff success. IMO that translates to terrible roster management, because a good roster can have a degree of playoff success even without an elite QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Nova said:

Ballard had an elite QB in Luck that season for Ballard's lone playoff victory with the Colts. Since then, no elite QB, no playoff success. IMO that translates to terrible roster management, because a good roster can have a degree of playoff success even without an elite QB.

Peter….    There are a million things I could say in response.   But I doubt it would change your viewpoint.   So I suspect you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.   

Good luck.    :hat:

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:36 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i have been totally turned off by ballards inept attempts at putting a decent team on the field. i cant take it anymore. as i am moving to pensacola fl my new team will be jax who will dominate the afc south for years to come.

You might as well.  You've been no fan of the Colts.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:08 AM, stitches said:

IMO this season we can afford to be ... not great. This season is more about development and assessment of our youth and especially the QB. If we see good promise from Richardson I'd be good with pretty much any type of record at the end of the season... 

ballards last 6 seasons have been about what you just said that we have to look forward to under ballards roster filling

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting….    Hmmm….

What I said was, "Their GM figured it out in a year, and now are favorites to win the AFC South".  Not "made the playoffs"

JAX appears to be a solid team that will sustain some success after last season.

Luck always had an aging AC, TY, no #2 WR, and stop gap vets on defense.  It just wasn't the same quality team in the necessary positions beyond QB as JAX is now, IMO. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

What I said was, "Their GM figured it out in a year, and now are favorites to win the AFC South".  Not "made the playoffs"

JAX appears to be a solid team that will sustain some success after last season.

Luck always had an aging AC, TY, no #2 WR, and stop gap vets on defense.  It just wasn't the same quality team in the necessary positions beyond QB as JAX is now, IMO. 

I think the bolded is the key part here. Still several question marks before I'm a believer.

Let's not forget the Jags were 9-8 last year. They did win 6 of last 7, so it will be interesting to see if they pick up where they left off. 

They lost games to the Texans, Colts, Broncos. Yes, it's the NFL & any given Sunday, but those 3 teams are awful.

Doug Pederson, other than his 13-3 Super Bowl year, was 7-9, 9-7, 9-7, 4-11-1, 9-8. 

Lawrence looks legit. But I need to see it play out on the field for another year or two to believe they are more than just an average team in a weak division. Although, I guess average may get it done in this division.

12 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i may root for the jags also, i am tired of being horrible

We were horrible for one year.   2022.

I don’t count 2017 because the Colts lost Luck.   

But otherwise, one seriously bad year.    And you’re tired of being horrible?   Really?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doug,  you have proven time and time again you can't evaluate talent or roster construction.   You and Moose would rather be right about the downfall of the team than being wrong about the positives.  Feel free to message me about a wager on the upcoming season.   I'll be holding my breath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Jags fans are pretty knowledgeable ,so you may not fit in. But you can try. Good luck to ya. You'll be missed.

Those guys are just trolling, it is slow in here and they are bored. Since the 2002 season we have had 3 bad seasons = 2011, 2017, and last year. Outside of that we have won 70% of our games, been to 4 AFC Title Games 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB's = 2006/2009, and won a SB = 2006. There has been no other team in our division since the South was created that can come close to matching that. 

I will say this about the Jags, I think Trevor Lawrence is the real deal so they may not be the 'typical Jags' but that has been a wishy washy franchise over the years. IMO Trevor is good but by my eye test he isn't better than what Luck was or what Burrow is now.

On 6/21/2023 at 5:12 PM, Peter Nova said:

Their GM prioritized premium positions and signed solid FA additions, that's why.. It does not take 6-7 years to build a playoff team.  Got to give it to Ballard though, because Richardson was probably the only player in the draft that bought him a couple extra years as GM if the Colts stink again in 2023. :lol:

I think the only thing keeping Ballard here is that he can draft well.  I know, he’s missed on DE but everywhere else he’s either been solid or good.

this is definitely make or break for Ballard in the next few years.  If Ballard doesn’t surround Richardson with talent through the draft and FA and this team continues to regress he will be gone.  My faith in AR improving is solid.  Shane track record for developing QBs is solid.  Ballard track record, questionable. 

me personally, if it comes to finding a new GM, I would want to put Ballard on the scouting/drafting team.  That’s if he’d want to. 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:24 AM, sb2001 said:

If we are REALLY bad, do you stay or do you go. I’m here since 1969… wow, that a long time, but I would LOVE to hear your opinion on this upcoming season.

I already have in my head we’re going to be horrible.  For 3 reasons:

- Rookie QB who needs reps and experience

- Rookie HC

- Inexperience at CB.

We are going to have the WORST pass defense in the NFL.  Our young CBS are getting thrown into the fire and if they don’t learn and adjust quick, teams will pick us apart.

I may be wrong.  AR might just be an absolute stud who just needed the reps and experience.  Shane might be a natural and pull this team together.  Our CBs might be better than what we thought.  But that’s a lot ifs.

All in all, I knew this.  This year is going to be an evaluation/building year.  My expectations are low.  I’m more excited to see our rookies and young players develop rather than winning.  If we’re just getting blown out every game then yes I will be very unhappy.  But if we’re fighting and getting better every week, then I’ll be a happy Colts fan.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:36 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

Are you moving there only to become a fan of the Jags? You can still be a Colts fan when you move there. I'm sure there are Colts fans there.

Anyway, I agree with @stitches . This year will be a very positive one if progress is made in developing the young players. I would be optimistic about the future, given the young talent that the Colts now have.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Are you moving there only to become a fan of the Jags? You can still be a Colts fan when you move there. I'm sure there are Colts fans there.

Anyway, I agree with @stitches . This year will be a very positive one if progress is made in developing the young players. I would be optimistic about the future, given the young talent that the Colts now have.

He can move wherever he wants, go by since the AFC South was created (2002), the Jags don't make a pimple on the Colts rear end chuckling homer simpson GIF- if you don't get the saying look it up haha .

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I think the only thing keeping Ballard here is that he can draft well.  I know, he’s missed on DE but everywhere else he’s either been solid or good.

He's missed a lot and yes all GMs do. It's impossible to hit on every selection and he's passed on better players several times. With his reluctance to sign FAs he needs to do a lot better as well as prioritize premium positions. Slow learner there.  

this is definitely make or break for Ballard in the next few years. 

The Richardson pick probably bought him a couple more years, because Richardson is nowhere near ready. Brilliant move by Ballard.

If, Ballard doesn’t surround Richardson with talent through the draft and FA and this team continues to regress he will be gone. 

You said he drafts well!:dunno: FA he's not signed any big name FA since he's been GM. I doubt that changes.

Ballard track record, questionable. 

Indeed. His record speaks for itself.

me personally, if it comes to finding a new GM, I would want to put Ballard on the scouting/drafting team.  That’s if he’d want to. 

You don't demote/fire and retain at a lessor. 

18 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

He's missed a lot and yes all GMs do. It's impossible to hit on every selection and he's passed on better players several times. With his reluctance to sign FAs he needs to do a lot better as well as prioritize premium positions. Slow learner there.  

The Richardson pick probably bought him a couple more years, because Richardson is nowhere near ready. Brilliant move by Ballard.

You said he drafts well!:dunno: FA he's not signed any big name FA since he's been GM. I doubt that changes.

Indeed. His record speaks for itself.

You don't demote/fire and retain at a lessor. 

- that’s what has done him in, his reluctance to spend money in FA.  We always target the right people and then get outbidded.  You can build through the draft but you have to sign free agents to compensate for those misses and when you don’t, those misses hit harder.  But yes, compared to other GMs Ballard is in the elite tier of drafting.  Probably the best when it comes to the later rounds and UDFAs

- I’d say the Richardson pick bought him 2 years.  1 depending on bad we are lol

- he does draft well, but as said above, him drafting well gets nullified by his failures in FA.  And it better change because he’ll be gone.

- and meh, it’s worth a try.  Especially if we let him go and no one grabs him.  But I doubt it

7 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

- that’s what has done him in, his reluctance to spend money in FA.  We always target the right people and then get outbidded.  You can build through the draft but you have to sign free agents to compensate for those misses and when you don’t, those misses hit harder.  But yes, compared to other GMs Ballard is in the elite tier of drafting.  Probably the best when it comes to the later rounds and UDFAs

- I’d say the Richardson pick bought him 2 years.  1 depending on bad we are lol

- he does draft well, but as said above, him drafting well gets nullified by his failures in FA.  And it better change because he’ll be gone.

- and meh, it’s worth a try.  Especially if we let him go and no one grabs him.  But I doubt it

I think we agree on most. However, the cliche or whatever about Ballard drafting well and is elite, IMO should show up in the win column, playoff column and division title column after 6 years.   

4 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

I think we agree on most. However, the cliche or whatever about Ballard drafting well and is elite, IMO should show up in the win column, playoff column and division title column after 6 years.   

Yet it doesn’t, because the win, playoff, and division column are all dependent on the QB column. 

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Yet it doesn’t, because the win, playoff, and division column are all dependent on the QB column. 

So, you saying you need an elite QB to win games, make the playoffs and win a division title with a strong roster??

You might want to look at some teams who have accomplished that without an elite QB. There are a couple in the Colts division the last decade. I get it! You like Ballard. All good!

11 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

So, you saying you need an elite QB to win games, make the playoffs and win a division title with a strong roster??

You might want to look at some teams who have accomplished that without an elite QB. There are a couple in the Colts division the last decade. I get it! You like Ballard. All good!

Actually, I was saying the opposite. That without good QB play (Luck, Rivers), Ballards teams have been average to poor. 

Also, I never said “you need an elite QB to win.” Those were your words. 

9 hours ago, coltsva said:

Actually, I was saying the opposite. That without good QB play (Luck, Rivers), Ballards teams have been average to poor. 

With or without Luck and Rivers! It makes no difference.

9 hours ago, coltsva said:

Also, I never said “you need an elite QB to win.” Those were your words. 

Teams with solid rosters can win with a "good" but not "elite" QB! Better??  

On 6/22/2023 at 2:03 AM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i am sure i will as we dominate the afc south

Good luck with your new team. What if the Jags don't have a winning season due to injuries or other problems.  Would you stay with them in that scenario? Not saying it will happen, just wondering in case. 

4 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Good luck with your new team. What if the Jags don't have a winning season due to injuries or other problems.  Would you stay with them in that scenario? Not saying it will happen, just wondering in case. 

They will do what all bandwagon fans do.  Abandon “their team” and find a new one who is winning.  Anyone can be a fan like that, there is nothing stopping them, but other fans tend to laugh at them because they know they aren’t truly invested in the team.  

On 6/23/2023 at 12:16 PM, Peter Nova said:

I compare ballards drafting to a test.

see on a test, you can get all the questions that aren’t worth much correct, but if you get  the big ones wrong, then you can possibly fail the test.  That is Ballard to a T right now.

he’s pretty much hit on all of the “non-impactful” positions, whether through FA or the draft.  But when it comes to the “impactful” positions (like DE, QB, LT) he’s pretty much skated or flat out missed.

• Thanks 1