Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ashton Dulin coming back

TomDiggs

Sweet...I was afraid he was going to get snatched up as a priority FA before we could get to him....we are signing non-producing receivers that were previously cut by our team? Going to have a killer special-teams unit though! Ballard overpaid for the kicker so he figured he would do some bargain-bin shopping early this year. Oh wait...my bad up to $9.2 million for 2 years????????.....now he is just messing with us

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Ashton Dulin makes $4.6 million per year on his new deal; Matt Gay makes $5.63 million on his new deal. Jonathan Taylor currently  only makes $5.1 million....makes perfect sense?????

JT is on a rookie deal....

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Good signing for the Colts. Dulin’s WR skills have been getting progressively better and his Special Teams value is off the charts. Now, do they re-sign Campbell or go fishing in the FA pond?

Thielen would be my pick although that's definitely a long shot

DJ Chark, Mecole Hardman, Mack Hollins are all interesting names

4 minutes ago, tvturner said:

JT is on a rookie deal....

I understand that. Why are we paying a guy $9 million dollars who was previously cut from our team? No, offense to Ashton Dulin, but I am guessing that another two year's of development with the Colts is not going to make him a star WR, no matter how good he is on ST.

22 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Ashton Dulin makes $4.6 million per year on his new deal; Matt Gay makes $5.63 million on his new deal. Jonathan Taylor currently  only makes $5.1 million....makes perfect sense?????

NFL contracts never make sense because they go up dramatically from rookie deals if you get a second one and they go up everytime a new player signs a new contract.  That’s why Daniel Jones is getting paid more than Patrick Mahomes.

47 minutes ago, philba101 said:

One is a special teams ace and decent depth WR

One is top 5 FG kicker who was a FA so got paid.

One is on rookie deal.

Yes, it makes perfect sense.

13 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

One is on rookie deal.

Again, nothing against the guys being signed, but over-paying a ST player and a kicker should not be our top priority for free agency. Dulin provides absolutely no depth at WR. This is evidenced by the fact that he has played four seasons and never caught more than 15 passes in a year. These maneuvers by our FO is why we stayed mired in mediocrity or worse each season.

20 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Again, nothing against the guys being signed, but over-paying a ST player and a kicker should not be our top priority for free agency. Dulin provides absolutely no depth at WR. This is evidenced by the fact that he has played four seasons and never caught more than 15 passes in a year. These maneuvers by our FO is why we stayed mired in mediocrity or worse each season.

Are they the top priority or are they just quicker to agree to a deal?  (Conveniently leaving out the DE)

Bigger targets may have more options and may take longer with their decision.  Plus, we generally aren't active at the beginning of FA anyway.  No one should be shocked.

More sexy positions may be getting filled in the draft.

It is premature to be getting all riled up but be my guest if you're determined to do so.

29 minutes ago, philba101 said:

They're priorities, you're the one putting the arbitrary "top priority" label on it just because they were signed.

And, no, these types of maneuvers are typical of every single team right now. Not every signing can be sexy. I don't know why people freak out every time there's just a typical re-signing/signing. It does not mean they ignoring everything else.

24 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

They're priorities, you're the one putting the arbitrary "top priority" label on it just because they were signed.

And, no, these maneuvers by the FO are typical of every single team right now.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. Our FO has been trying to convince us for 6 years that these types of small moves is what will help us eventually put a competitive masterpiece on the field. So far that has not been the case. Maybe all these deals come together this year and make our GM finally look like a genius. If that happens I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

Dulin's deal puts him at approx. 2% of the cap. This isn't 2010. Adjust your expectations for player salaries. The cap goes up, so do the deals. This isn't some deal done in a vacuum. If Dulin got re-signed you'd have to think that Steichen feels he can contribute to his offense.

14 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Dulin's deal puts him at approx. 2% of the cap. This isn't 2010. Adjust your expectations for player salaries. The cap goes up, so do the deals. This isn't some deal done in a vacuum. If Dulin got re-signed you'd have to think that Steichen feels he can contribute to his offense.

Yep. He was good for some post routes and deep shots, sometimes as a decoy to draw away safeties when Carson Wentz was here. He even caught a TD if I remember right. Limited snaps, he could be useful though his primary usage is on ST.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

I wonder why YOU, who hasn't a CLUE in the world what the market is, would want to make a joke of yourself by calling a signing "over payed"?

The head coach has looked at our roster and has a plan for what he needs.

Dulin is very capable of of running the jet plays to identify coverages, and blocks those better than Campbell. Steichen runs this a lot.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. Our FO has been trying to convince us for 6 years that these types of small moves is what will help us eventually put a competitive masterpiece on the field. So far that has not been the case. Maybe all these deals come together this year and make our GM finally look like a genius. If that happens I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

You think it could come together this year?

Yes we hopefully will be building some good basics this year.

But I see us as starting over with the next attempt to build a contender.

So that is 2025 and beyond IF our QB hits Big!

2 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

One is on rookie deal.

Have to wonder how old this person is not to understand these very basic ideas on value.

numbers out

2023: $3.0M ($2.5M base and up to $3.0M with active games bonus)

2024: $4.2M ($3.68M base and up to $4.2M with active games bonus)

- $500K  each year in playing time bonuses possible (up to $1M)

- $1M escalator based on catches for offensive production

So really a 2 year and $7.2M contract at it's root. Very much in line with the going rate for elite ST-only contributors

Every team in the NFL needs players like Dulin. Sorry you don't know this.  

43 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I wonder why YOU, who hasn't a CLUE in the world what the market is, would want to make a joke of yourself by calling a signing "over payed"?

The head coach has looked at our roster and has a plan for what he needs.

Dulin is very capable of of running the jet plays to identify coverages, and blocks those better than Campbell. Steichen runs this a lot.

Dude, I never said one word to you. If you don't like my posts then move on, There is no need to get personal by calling someone a joke because you disagree with them. You won't see me doing that.

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every team in the NFL needs players like Dulin. Sorry you don't know this.  

I do know this. I never said that teams don't need players like Dulin. I actually like Dulin as a special teamer. All I said is that this signing is very typical from our GM and hasn't yielded results over six years. 

16 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I do know this. I never said that teams don't need players like Dulin. I actually like Dulin as a special teamer. All I said is that this signing is very typical from our GM and hasn't yielded results over six years. 

So you are just taking every opportunity to rag on Ballard?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I happen to disagree with his approach on FA. It is just an opinion, which I believe are still allowed on fan forums. I don't hate the man or think he is a bad person. It is just football, it is really not that deep.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I happen to disagree with his approach on FA. It is just an opinion, which I believe are still allowed on fan forums. I don't hate the man or think he is a bad person. It is just football, it is really not that deep.

You exaggerated with the 6 year comment.  I guess you want to omit 2020 like it didn't happen? 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You exaggerated with the 6 year comment.  I guess you want to omit 2020 like it didn't happen? 

The body of work after 6 years landed us at 4-12-1 at the end of last season. I never said there were no successes along the way or that there weren't other factors that contributed to our decline, but I am definitely not happy with where the Colts sit as a franchise. It is not any more complicated than that.

59 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Dude, I never said one word to you. If you don't like my posts then move on, There is no need to get personal by calling someone a joke because you disagree with them. You won't see me doing that.

Dude has anger righteous anger issues lol.

the addams family dark GIF

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chris does a good job of creating opportunities just fine on his own. 

Jeeeezush folks - you guys whine like 3 year old little girls!

Dulin is a depth piece that plays excellent ST's..........if our ST's sucked every year then you would be clamoring for more ST's help. They have not sucked because of key depth pieces like Dulin! 

For %$#@ sake get a grip people!

5 hours ago, philba101 said:

No!   He does NOT make $4.6m per year in this new deal.    This is factually wrong. 

He only makes that kind of money IF he hits several incentive and escalator clauses.   Otherwise, it appears to be worth $7.2 mill total or $3.6 per year.   

This was predicted here hours ago before the figures were made public.

And you care way WAY too much about the order in which players are signed.   Signing player A before player X does not necessarily mean A is more important than X.     That appears to be your argument, that we’re signing the less important players before the more important players.   
The order doesn’t matter.  There are all sorts of reasons why one player might sign sooner and another might sign later. 

You make a budget and a priority list, but everything is fluid because many things are out of a GMs control.   Any GM, not just Chris Ballard.  

PS — who CARES that JT makes only $5.1 mill?   He’s on his rookie contract!  

Archived