Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gilmore traded to Cowboys

CR91

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The point was made that both of you missed.    The best corner in the game, Jalen Ramsey, only got a 3.    He’s better and younger than Gilmore.   This was the best deal on the market.   

didnt miss anything

bad trade

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

There are some solid CBs available. I hope they make a play to get Murphy or Griffin .

As though Bargain Bin Ballard would ever sign someone like those 2.

More likely he'll stockpile the cb room with udfa's this season.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The point was made that both of you missed.    The best corner in the game, Jalen Ramsey, only got a 3.    He’s better and younger than Gilmore.   This was the best deal on the market.   

Or, don't trade him at all and don't create yet another hole on the team.

Looks like the rebuild is on. This makes sense though.

Gilmore came in a did a fantastic job on a crappy team (after doing the same thing in CAR the year before).

Now he gets to go a playoff contender next season, Colts save some money and get a 5th round comp pick, which is another pick to use this upcoming draft.

I love it. But CB is a huge need now.

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This is why I cant be apart of the off-season talk. I just don't understand lol.. we lose key guys, save money and get younger guys every year? lol. We barely sign folks in free agency.. I dont get the plan for us to be great!

HELP ME!!! lol

Each year get further away from a division title , I just don’t get what the plan is right now 

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This is why I cant be apart of the off-season talk. I just don't understand lol.. we lose key guys, save money and get younger guys every year? lol. We barely sign folks in free agency.. I dont get the plan for us to be great!

HELP ME!!! lol

Without knowing the full plan, you can only guess what's going on. The colts are in no position to compete. We're about to go into a new era with a rookie QB. Gilmore needs to go to a team that's in win now mode. That's not us right now.

13 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

He did sign someone like those two.   His name is Stephen Gilmore.   It happened a year ago.   

5 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Each year get further away from a division title , I just don’t get what the plan is right now 

Tear it down. Then build it back up. 

that’s the plan. This isn’t a “re-tool”. This team isn’t “close”. 

the “we had 7 pro bowlers a year ago” argument goes out the window when those pro bowlers are some of the aging or declining people we are trying to trade like Kelly and Kenny. 

the titans are doing the same thing. 

tore down their second best wr and 3 of 5 olinemen and some of their best defenders. 

if you know you aren’t winning it all w what you got, you need to rebuild it and have a 2-3 year plan to get back in the mix. 

in my opinion that’s the plan

Remember during this coaching hiring cycle we heard how “refreshing” it was to hear outsiders perspective on our team and roster. 

my guess is some of those takes were sobering 

20 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Yipee!  Let's create another hole on the team.  That leaves Rodgers and a disgruntled underperforming Moore as our only 2 proven cbs.

Well done Ballard.  Now we need use even more of our resources to address cb.

Why bother hiring a bright young offensive mind if your just gonna saddle him with lousy personnel yet again?  I'm sure his plan is to resign Campbell Dulin and Patmon, run back the same mediocre WR unit we alwasy have, and fill our OL needs with his next brilliant Danny Pinter round 5 selection.

Cannot wait until this clown GM is gone after this season.

If you would have told me Gilmore would be gone before  Moore , kelly I would bet everything on it 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He did sign someone like those two.   His name is Stephen Gilmore.   It happened a year ago.   

Only because Bargain Bin Ballard got him on the cheap due to Gilmore being injured.  

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

the “we had 7 pro bowlers a year ago” argument goes out the window when those pro bowlers are some of the aging or declining people we are trying to trade like Kelly and Kenny. 

tore down their second best wr and 3 of 5 olinemen and some of their best defenders. 

if you know you aren’t winning it all w what you got, you need to rebuild it and have a 2-3 year plan to get back in the mix. 

Remember during this coaching hiring cycle we heard how “refreshing” it was to hear outsiders perspective on our team and roster. 

Yep.  Stockpiling 5th round picks are a surefire sign of a rebuild.

21 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

I mean he went out and got Gilmore last season. I don’t think Griffin will cost that much. Murphy at 24 coming off his rookie deal will likely be looking to cash in on a big deal so he might not be in play for us.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Without knowing the full plan, you can only guess what's going on. The colts are in no position to compete. We're about to go into a new era with a rookie QB. Gilmore needs to go to a team that's in win now mode. That's not us right now.

At least they are aware of it and properly resetting expectations. And I think Irsay has given Ballard the green light to reset as well.

Unless we hear that Gilmore requested this trade, we could see more trades or cuts of vets.

18 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Or, don't trade him at all and don't create yet another hole on the team.

For what?   Gilmore had one year left on his contract.   There’s going to be a new QB.  Maybe two.   And they might win 5-7 games next year while the team tries to rebuild quickly.   It can be done.  Just last year, both Seattle and J’Ville improved enough to make the playoffs.  It can be done.  

4 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Yes, that is not a bad thing. I would love to rebuild my team. 

5 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Only because Bargain Bin Ballard got him on the cheap due to Gilmore being injured.  

Discarding veterans that won’t be here when you are ready to compete for whatever you can get for them is a surefire sign. If all you can get is a 5 that’s what you get. 

4 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Excellent point. The team that swept the Colts in b2b years and probably should have won 3-straight AFCS titles is doing the same thing. And TEN did the contending part so much better than IND. It's the smart play right now.

I sad long ago Dallas Flowers could start at Corner in 2023 and think this makes it even more likely. Guy is a player lead NFL in Kick Off return yards as a rookie,needed a bit more time to evolve into a CB starter but coaching at NFL night and day from where he came from.

Also keep an eye on what may be done with Blackmon,Thomas played great as a rookie and Cross was so young but upside so high that both may be starting at Safety especially if Rodney Mc goes elsewhere which would allow Blackmon to shift back to Corner where he was in college for quite some time.

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

At least they are aware of it and properly resetting expectations. And I think Irsay has given Ballard the green light to reset as well.

Unless we hear that Gilmore requested this trade, we could see more trades or cuts of vets.

Very possible, but I doubt we'll hear about Gilmore requesting the trade. Everyone is gonna is it was a mutual decision 

14 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

No, but he could use one of them in a package for Sutton or Juedy

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

We won four games, with Gilmore having a pretty strong season. It's not like he was holding us back from getting a high draft pick.

Well without him they probably lose to the Raiders and Broncos soooo…

In all seriousness I get your point.

I'm going to allow for the possibility that Gilmore, at 32 with 1 year left on his deal, wanted to spend his final year in the league with a contender.  Which we certainly are not.

Good luck to you, Mister Gilmore!  Too bad the radio guys won't be able to play that Jim Irsay sound bite anymore.

(Did I mention that I'm pulling for us to pick Emmanuel Forbes in the 2nd round?  I'm sure I did, somewhere.)

28 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Yea , might as well rebuild the whole thing from the ground up , just waiting on Moore and Ryan kelly news to drop would take a next year 7th at this point

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

We won four games, with Gilmore having a pretty strong season. It's not like he was holding us back from getting a high draft pick.

He is Gilmore was the reason we won 2-3 of them games or we would have #1 pick lol 

52 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

didnt miss anything

bad trade

I would have liked a 4th rounder, to be honest. There are Day 2 guys that fall to Day 3 and the value in Round 4 tends to be better than late Round 5 with a compensatory pick. 

Just means that we want another Top 5-10 pick to get Marvin Harrison Jr. :)

29 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Yeah, I can just hear the conversation now between Ballard and Irsay:

CB: Mr Irsay? We’re going to tear this thing down and build it back up again. We’ll draft a guard (a freaking great guard) at 4, grab some young corners and get our QB next year.

JI: If it will get us back to being in the upper quartile of the upper quartile, I’m ALL IN!!!

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would have liked a 4th rounder, to be honest. There are Day 2 guys that fall to Day 3 and the value in Round 4 tends to be better than late Round 5 with a compensatory pick. 

Just means that we want another Top 5-10 pick to get Marvin Harrison Jr. :)

I am sure if a fourth rounder was on the table Ballard would have traded him for that.  He got what he could.  32 year old corners with one year left on their deal isn’t going to get you much even if he had a good year last year.

9 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Yeah, I can just hear the conversation now between Ballard and Irsay:

CB: Mr Irsay? We’re going to tear this thing down and build it back up again. We’ll draft a guard (a freaking great guard) at 4, grab some young corners and get our QB next year.

JI: If it will get us back to being in the upper quartile of the upper quartile, I’m ALL IN!!!

I sure feel like Joshua outside Jericho on the seventh day before the walls came tumbling down. :) 

Archived