Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not Aaron Rodgers?

jvan1973

This crop of qbs in the draft aren't highly regarded?  I'm not sure what the Packers want for Rodgers.   How about the 4th for Rodgers?  Seems steep,  but jets fans are stoked to get him.   Why is there no buzz for him coming here?  I know he will be expensive,  plus the draft compensation.    I think Aaron has several years left.   Trade for Aaron, draft hooker and keep our future years first rounders.  

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This crop of qbs in the draft aren't highly regarded?  I'm not sure what the Packers want for Rodgers.   How about the 4th for Rodgers?  Seems steep,  but jets fans are stoked to get him.   Why is there no buzz for him coming here?  I know he will be expensive,  plus the draft compensation.    I think Aaron has several years left.   Trade for Aaron, draft hooker and keep our future years first rounders.  

:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

:troll:

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don’t think you’re trolling, so I’m happy to give you an answer.  

1.   Aaron’s contract is GIGANTIC.   Don’t know how the team would even come close.  

2.    Your idea assumes Green Bay would accept the Colts offer of the 4th overall pick.   They’d likely want more.  

3.    Your idea assumes Rodgers would be willing to play in Indianapolis?   Personally, I think that’s highly doubtfully.   If he’s leaving GB, I think he’d want a more glamorous city.   NY,  LV, even Nashville with their Country Music scene.   So I don’t see him as a good fit.  

4.    Say the Colts and Packers and Rodgers still manage to pull this off, and make a deal.   And they even do a contract restructure for a 2-3 year deal.   What would stop Rodgers each off-season from talking about retirement, or talk about getting traded somewhere else.  I just think there’s way too much potential for drama.  

As Daniel Jeremiah put it over the weekend…. The Colts have been dating since Luck retired.  They need to find someone and get married.   

For those reasons, I don’t see Rodgers as the right fit.   

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

troll trolling GIF

43 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Peanut Butter Order GIF by Jif

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How am I trolling ?  Rodgers is one of the best qbs of all time. 

Was

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

How am I trolling ?  Rodgers is one of the best qbs of all time. 

Rivers was one of the best of his time, heck Matt Ryan was also. Man if we learned anything we need to draft our own guy. We are not a QB away from winning a championship so Rodgers wouldn’t do anything for us tbh. Rodgers for as good as he has been and all the MVPs hasn’t really done much in playoff and had good supporting case. He has one foot out the door already been flirting with retirement for years. Rodgers has been in an abusive relationship with Green Bay for years we don’t need all his baggage here. Tried that we Carson and got burnt.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

The dude is on the verge of retiring every year. We need to start a new chapter….a new book…. With a young qb. Frankly I’m tired of hearing about Rodgers in the media. 

Yea , Rodgers had a great career for sure , so did Matt Ryan and rivers but Father Time is undefeated even the undertaker Brady was defeated finally lol 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Unlike the opinions here, it's a valid opinion. I think the 4th rounder compensation you mentioned has thrown off people here, GB will laugh at that. 

If he's willing to move on, as Jets have got permission to talk to him, GB also seems to be okay but only if they got a great offer. 

However, GB would ask for a first round draft pick at least in compensation. They're not going to let him go for peanuts. If they are high on Jordan Love, they'd have already been shopping Rodgers actively. They are just looking to move on from him at the right time or for a huge compensation. 

Colts will have to give a huge contract too. 

I guess, so no one thinks it's gonna happen. 

43 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Rivers was one of the best of his time, heck Matt Ryan was also. Man if we learned anything we need to draft our own guy. We are not a QB away from winning a championship so Rodgers wouldn’t do anything for us tbh. Rodgers for as good as he has been and all the MVPs hasn’t really done much in playoff and had good supporting case. He has one foot out the door already been flirting with retirement for years. Rodgers has been in an abusive relationship with Green Bay for years we don’t need all his baggage here. Tried that we Carson and got burnt.

yeah, Rodgers doesn't have that drive to win it all anymore, and GB has sensed that in recent years. 

if he goes to SF like an immediate contender, he may try to play great. Otherwise, he will just play until he wants and retire soon. 

What exactly would that accomplish?

First of all, he didn’t look like there was much left in the tank last year, and he’s a guy who has a retirement brouhaha every February. And there aren’t many of those left. 

Second, they want accountability and all chips in. When has that ever described Rodgers? 

But most of all, to what end? We’ve already established that he’s not gonna be here for very long at all, and here we are giving up a top 5 pick for him. He plays 1 or 2 years and then rides off into insanity and we’re right back here in need of a QB likely picking 15th or worse. 

Nah.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Jskinnz i got this.

Dear God!!!

So you wanna continue this thread of old QBs and mediocrity. Why are some posters failing to understand the unlikely position the colts find themselves in. Bryce Young and C.J Stroud are franchise altering QBs and the Colts should count themselves lucky to be in a position to potentially get one of them.

Because this team has a lot of holes and trading for Rodgers and paying him $50 million a year makes the Colts a worse football team since they wouldn't be able to pay any of their own free agents or anyone else who hits the market in 2023. Plus Aaron Rodgers is 38 years old and this team isn't one solid veteran QB away from winning a championship. Having a rookie QB on a rookie contract for 4-5 years gives you a chance to keep a lot of your own players while having the opportunity to extend or sign other free agents.

Colts have the worst oline in the NFL. Why would Rogers ever want to come to Indy and spend the twilight years of his career on his back? Colts need to draft a young qb that can ride out 2-3 years of rebuilding the offense line.

I think Rodgers still has some football left in him. But I'm going to look at this through Ballard's eyes. 

Choosing Rodgers means instant Super Bowl expectations. He's only got a year or so left... So that would be the expectation. Pretty much anything less than a championship would be seen as a failure if Aaron Rodgers is the QB. Completely missing the playoffs with Rodgers at QB could possibly get Ballard fired. 

On the flip side, drafting a rookie QB affords more time and lowered expectations. I doubt Ballard goes after Rodgers now. If we were going to do it, 2-3 years ago would've been the time. Not now.

Rodgers to Indy: how about no?  He would be too expensive, and , if he did sign with Indy,  the Colts would have to wait every season while Rodgers decided to stay or retire.  They would be in QB limbo once again while Rodgers took time to make up his mind about his future. 

I don’t know who needs to hear this:  A long time poster making a legit point or asking something you don’t happen to agree with does not make them a troll.  That’s called a difference of opinion and that’s supposed to be what this forum is for, to discuss those types of things in a civil and adult manner.  

Archived