Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s talk about the 2nd and 3rd round who do we get?

Boss7894

Paye and Dayo need more playing time. Both are our team's DEs of the present and future. And that's not even taking into account Yannick.

Paye in 10 games last season = 6 sacks.

Dayo playing off the bench majority of the year = 5 sacks.

Any ERs taken in early rounds (1-3) will just be depth players, not immediate starters. And this team needs immediate starters in rounds 2-3; i.e. players like Stephon Tuitt, JuJu Smith-Schuester...not Ben Banogu, Kemoko Turay, or Tyquan Lewis.

Have thought all along picks #35 and #80 will be very important if not given away by trading up. At 35 there will be a few day one starting guards Avilia, Voorhes, or one that just falls from the first round.  Decent chance Nolan Smith could be there at edge too. At 80 Edge, CB, WR, OL, there will still be good options depends on FA, and what #35 brings.

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Paye and Dayo need more playing time. Both are our team's DEs of the present and future. And that's not even taking into account Yannick.

Any ERs taken in early rounds (1-3) will just be depth players, not immediate starters. And this team needs immediate starters in rounds 2-3; i.e. players like Stephon Tuitt, JuJu Smith-Schuester...not Ben Banogu, Kemoko Turay, or Tyquan Lewis.

So... You think Anderson and Wilson would just be depth? That's... a take if I've ever heard one.

7 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

All this talk about the first round how about the  upper 2nd and third round?

I think it’s impossible to get a good feel for what the Colts might do for several reasons.   

First:  which picks do the Colts trade to move up in the first?   

Second:   Ballard stresses the lines.  Steichen may be ok with that, but he might also prefer a play making WR or TE at pick 35.    

Personally, I think the Colts should go DE at 35.   I think the difference makers will be gone by pick 79.    Then, RG or C at pick 79.   I think the Colts can find one that can step in and play.  

So…. I’d stay on the lines, DE then OL. 

I know this won’t be popular, but this is what I’d do.   Play makers can come next year in a better draft.  

It depends on if they give up any picks on Day 2 for a move up in the draft.

Interior of DL is an area I’d target on Day 2, thin with Buckner and Stewart. One injury and we’re in a world of hurt. If Bradley plans to play Dayo like Tyquan Lewis inside at under tackle, absolutely an edge rusher will be entertained with this deep DE class. Ngakoue can’t go on forever. 

More than WR, I like the stellar TE class for Day 2 but we got TE and WR last year.

I don’t anticipate any skill positions drafted in Day 2 IF we have both picks.

I’m leaning DL, OL, CB, that’s it for Day 2

I would personally like to get two of the three of O-Line, EDGE, and WR. CB is incredibly deep this year, and we can get someone like a Julius Brents in the 3rd round, but those other three positions are a lot more top-heavy. I'd prefer to draft someone like a Darnell Wright or Jaelan Duncan at 35, with a WR like a Nathaniel Dell, or an EDGE like an Andre Carter II at 79. 

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes there’s a good chance to manufacture a 2nd and 3rd from that high 2nd rounder. It’s been typical Ballard history 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Without knowing what his draft board will look like maybe it's time to look closer at talent? One potential impact player is better than 2 lower round picks imo.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

More than WR, I like the stellar TE class for Day 2 but we got TE and WR last year.

I don’t anticipate any skill positions drafted in Day 2 IF we have both picks.

I’m leaning DL, OL, CB, that’s it for Day 2

I think a sleeper could be LBer, probably more third round than second, especially if they lose both Bobby O and speed to free agency and they don’t know about Leonard’s health.

The positions of need are Edge, WR, oline, CB. I think CB is very deep so I see them most likely waiting until Rd 3 or 4 unless there’s someone sitting there they have a 1st Rd grade on. We know they’re stingy with their first rd grades. Some players I like

WR-Downs, Flowers, Dell, Hyatt, Reed, Palmer

Edge-Harrison, Smith, McDonald, Diaby, 

IOL-Schmitz, Avila, Curtis, Wypler, Oluawatimi

CB-Rush, Brents, Ringo, Kelly, Moss

OT-Jones

It would be great if they could trade Moore for a 4th rd pick and then use all the picks they have to walk away with three of these players. 

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would agree those are huge areas of need. I would love DE Lukas Van Ness, RT Darnell Wright, or CB Cam Smith if he were to last to the early 2nd. 

Van Ness is a stud and will excel. I see him playing both at DE and DT like Dayo. I would love for him to be a Colt but I see them going with a guy who can just pin his ears back and go after the QB on passing downs.   I think Van Ness will be gone by #35. 

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

WWAAAAAAAAAYY too early for this question.

Pro Days - Free Agency - Trades - etc could all happen before the draft.

I just hope that each and every pick brings high character - and - an obsession for the game.

It's not WWAAAAAAAAAYY too early to discuss who fans want in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It's no different than who fans want at our first pick.

55 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Tackle/WR in rd 2 and center/guard in 3rd

Why tackle in the 2nd?

I feel confident Ballard wants to roll with Raimann at LT. We need depth, but you don’t spend 2nd rounders on depth players. 

On 3/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s impossible to get a good feel for what the Colts might do for several reasons.   

First:  which picks do the Colts trade to move up in the first?   

Second:   Ballard stresses the lines.  Steichen may be ok with that, but he might also prefer a play making WR or TE at pick 35.    

Personally, I think the Colts should go DE at 35.   I think the difference makers will be gone by pick 79.    Then, RG or C at pick 79.   I think the Colts can find one that can step in and play.  

So…. I’d stay on the lines, DE then OL. 

I know this won’t be popular, but this is what I’d do.   Play makers can come next year in a better draft.  

I doubt Ballard does this, but since this is a passing league, I think he needs to take another shot at CB.  Gilmore won’t be around much longer, and I don’t think Moore will be either.  He sucked last year.  

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I doubt Ballard does this, but since this is a passing league, I think he needs to take another shot at CB.  Gilmore won’t be around much longer, and I don’t think Moore will be either.  He sucked last year.  

Hey….  I love corners.   I thought the 3rd round pick the Colts traded for and used on Cross at safety was going to be used on a corner.   

But Ballard has often said his zone defense can be run with Day 3 corners.  So, I’d personally use picks in the 4th and 5th round to acquire more help at that position.   It’s such a deep class if corners this year I think there will be tall and talented corners available when the Colts pick.   

On 3/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, Boss7894 said:

All this talk about the first round how about the  upper 2nd and third round?

I think CB needs to be the pick in round 2. With the uncertainty of Kenny Moore playing in Indy and With how Awful Fayscon played. That position needs to be addressed. Round 3 I think needs to be an Interior Offensive lineman. We need a solid guard to sure up the line.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:54 AM, rock8591 said:

Yannick is not coming back we should hope.

After your two we have nothing.

So I can't imagine that we are not desperate to draft an edge. 

And sign a veteran also. Knowing Ballard he will hire Tyquan for another half season.

Archived