Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Steelers at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

Ryan didn't play bad and there is no excuse why our offense is so inept. We may not have a #1 super star playmaker like Chase but Pittman along.with Pierce, Paris, Woods, Mo Allie Cox are not that bad and Ryan still.capable of delivering the ball to them like he did in the 2nd half tonight. And when you.factor in our best player, JT, who is a.Top.2 RB in the league, our O should be better. It's the coaching, scheme, gameplan, play calling that's the bigger problem.....or maybe it's the Football.Gods? haha

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can because I understand Sam had barely played so he gets some grace. Taylor didn’t even play against NE. 

the line was not a issue tonight.

Taylor’s fall off has been all year until the last three weeks.  That has nothing to do with the QB.  Again saying Ryan was the cause of the lines problems was flat out wrong.  The line has been bad rather Ryan was in there or not and in areas beyond pass protection.  Yes the line did play better tonight and frankly has played better since Saturday came in, particularly in run blocking.  That doesn’t change the fact that your statement that Ryan caused the lines problems was incorrect.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor’s fall off has been all year until the last three weeks.  That has nothing to do with the QB.  Again saying Ryan was the cause of the lines problems was flat out wrong.  The line has been bad rather Ryan was in there or not and in areas beyond pass protection.  Yes the line did play better tonight and frankly has played better since Saturday came in, particularly in run blocking.  That doesn’t change the fact that your statement that Ryan caused the lines problems was incorrect.  

If Wentz or Sam was playing it wouldn't be there fault at alll but because it is Matt, she just blames Matt. Boooooo.

24 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yannick > Odenibo

Dayo is our best depth piece at the moment. He was not going to be the slated starter, it was supposed to be a rotation with Lewis. 

If you look at the pass rush position we only really have Yannick and Kwity. 

Odenibo behind Yannick,

Dayo/Lewis behind Kwity

Dayo - young, learning

Lewis - Often injured (should not have been relied on that heavily to begin with)

Odenibo (walk on, nothing special, and the fact you like  him over yannick is more a testament of how meh yannick has been)

Ben Banagou - Trash

To me, that's not enough. Even with the injury to Kwity Paye and Lewis (lewis injury isnt a shocker) there's no one else to lean on. Basically counting on a one dimensional pass rusher, and a young Dayo to set the edges of our defense.

It's a very poor plan, and the DT position is even worse for depth. 

The Oline follows a very similar trend. 

You're making assumptions, and/or putting words in my mouth. 

Never said Ifeadi was better than Yannick. Never.... 

I said Yannick sucks vs the run... and shouldn't play early downs (run downs) or on short yardage downs. 

So let's look at basic data before this week... 

snaps   sacks   sacks/snap%  pressures  press/snap%  tackles   tackle/snap    missed tackle %

Yannick    517       6.5          1.3%           19                  3.7%            21           4.0%                8.7%

Ifeadi       196       2.5          1.3%            6                   3.1%            10           5.1%                 0%

So... you'll see above... not a huge difference in sack or pressure %... But Ifeadi is noticeably better vs the run and better in missed tackles...

So the point it.....

Ifeadi should be playing more early downs, when the chance is greater to see runs... 

If you want to see Dayo's comps, let me know. He's been used differently, but his stats obviously show he's better than the run... 

Injury (Paye and Lewis) have hurt. We'd look different with Paye, and very different with both. 

Didn’t get to watch the game live (started 1:30 am in Denmark), but watched it this morning. 

Blow it up and start over….

The only consistent thing on this offense is bad OL play, bad QB play and fumbling all over the place. 

Some players show up occasionally (Pitt, PC, JT, Woods…) and then disappear for GAMES at a time. 

Defense is usually good for the first 3 Qs and then folds in the the 4th. 

We have a severe lack of star power at key positions and it’s showing game after game. 

Not expecting anything but losses the rest of the year. Hope to see improvement from our rookies and young players. On to the offseason. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Words of wisdom I wish I knew when it came to my relationships.. :funny:

Yeah it is over brother, I really felt like that after last week. Last week was devastating but because of mathematics I was holding on to this game tonight. We are just a team that finds stupid ways to lose. Give up 3rd and longs, 4th and shorts, Fumble down by the goalline, we don't get any favorable call from the REFS either as in PI's or facemasks. I am over it.

I had my time as a sports fan, 2006 Colts, 2016 Cubs, and 2000 Pacers is my glory moments The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I did like the Lakers in the 80's as well, so Magic was my main man in the 80's. Everyone around here loved Bird, I took the Magic man and I won more. 

To me the 1988 Lakers would beat any team of all-time period. They had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and 2 guys that were 3 point snipers in Scott and Coop. They were all tall and athletic and would run teams out of the building. That is the best team in sports history and they would take care of the 96 Bulls or 2017 Warriors.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is over brother, I really felt like that after last week. Last week was devastating but because of mathematics I was holding on to this game tonight. We are just a team that finds stupid ways to lose. Give up 3rd and longs, 4th and shorts, Fumble down by the goalline, we don't get any favorable call from the REFS either as in PI's or facemasks. I am over it.

I had my time as a sports fan, 2006 Colts, 2016 Cubs, and 2000 Pacers is my glory moments The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I did like the Lakers in the 80's as well, so Magic was my main man in the 80's. Everyone around here loved Bird, I took the Magic man and I won more. 

To me the 1988 Lakers would beat any team of all-time period. They had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and 2 guys that were 3 point snipers in Scott and Coop. They were all tall and athletic and would run teams out of the building. That is the best team in sports history and they would take care of the 96 Bulls or 2017 Warriors.

Nice obituary for the sports fandom. :scoregood:

Bad: 

IS FRANK REICH STILL SECRETLY CALLING GAMES?? Why does every single run have to be up the middle still!??! 

Matt Ryan is cooked. I hate typing that, but he's done. These WR's are sitting there waiting for passes and he has zero zip. Even on the few slants, the ball is behind the WR's. 

Glad they remembered we have TE's....too bad we won't see them for the rest of the year. 

Moore is so inconsistent

Why in the wide world of sports does Facyson keep stealing Rodgers snaps!?! 

How can they not run block against a crappy O-line all the sudden? 

The Steelers are trash, and we made them look good (which is this team's M.O.) 

Good: 

Buckner, Stewart, Gilmore and JT (minus the fumble) are the only ones that show up 

Flowers - leave him on kick returns for the rest of the year! Excellent job

Raimann didn't have a bunch of penalites ......yay? 

Smith did great against Watt 

Good job Woods. Dude gets hit and almost never goes down on first contact. 

Yannick: I'm not sure where to put him. He flashes on the sacks, but gets washed out by TE's on the regular. He can't defend the run at all either. 

Frustrating how bad this team really is. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

With a few more losses we can move into the top 10 for our draft pick.   Remember, it is a better draft position in each round.  A good draft could fill allot of holes. 

There are positives to losing games for this team.  

Not Necessarily 

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

As you can see, our draft position didn’t change after the Steelers loss. There is a ridiculous log jam of 4-7 and 4-8 teams. The Colts actually need other teams to win to move up.  Right now they are probably trying to battle for the 3rd QB who most talking heads have as Will Levis. Probably need to get into the top 10 to get him if that’s the target, but it’s not a guarantee even if we lose out.

Thats the worst part of all of this. The Colts are awful and might not end up with nothing to show for it. This is what happens when you kick the QB can down the road and just assume you can go after the top guys next year.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

They folded in the last 2 minutes of the 2Q too, at the playoff game in BUF, from about their own 6 yard line after Frank went for it on 4th down with much criticism.

The offensive scheme is exacerbated by a QB that cannot throw deep very well and receivers that seem uninspired.

This team is an absolute mess at the skill positions. The group that Ballard values so much, the D and Oline, just aren't doing it. Irsay said Ballard is safe but he will be gone. With Frank gone, it is becoming obvious this is a talent issue. I doubt Sarurday is back. I think he will b burnt out by the end of the season. I would love Harbaugh. Now comes the question. What coach is going to want to come to this dumpster fire? It looks really bad when u evaluate this team and it's needs going forth.  

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

IS FRANK REICH STILL SECRETLY CALLING GAMES?? Why does every single run have to be up the middle still!??!

Narrative writers will be saying that you can't adjust a playbook in the middle of the season.  Nonsense. 

These guys have been playing football their entire lives and have blocked outside run plays at some point in their careers.  Whether or not track star JT has actually run any is another issue.

There is no reason the team can't install and practice even just two outside run plays from RPO formation, or practice the quick toss play from Ryan under center.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not Necessarily 

As you can see, our draft position didn’t change after the Steelers loss. There is a ridiculous log jam of 4-7 and 4-8 teams. The Colts actually need other teams to win to move up.  Right now they are probably trying to battle for the 3rd QB who most talking heads have as Will Levis. Probably need to get into the top 10 to get him if that’s the target, but it’s not a guarantee even if we lose out.

Thats the worst part of all of this. The Colts are awful and might not end up with nothing to show for it. This is what happens when you kick the QB can down the road and just assume you can go after the top guys next year.

The next 4 games vs Cowboys, Vikings, Chargers and Giants are against teams vying for their division or a wild card, unlike us. Those will determine our fate and draft position. If I had to take a stab at it, we end the season with a win vs the Texans but that is the ONLY game I see us winning the rest of the way, based on what I am seeing now. Teams get more desperate and play a little notch better if there is something on the line. We can play hard but there is not much for us on the line when it is all said and done.

After the bye week is when I would like to see Sam E as an audition whether to keep him next year at all. A final second chance for him because after a Cowboys loss, we would pretty much be close to elimination from the playoffs.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep, when he saw Campbell streaking against man coverage at the back of the end zone, and several other times I did notice that. Aikman knows a thing or two about QB play, I would figure. :) 

You would think.. by todays standards His career stats are very average though and spent his career riding Smith to victory. Really low standards for hall of fame when it comes to him 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

Just now, skerfalcon8710 said:

You would think.. by todays standards His career stats are very average though and spent his career riding Smith to victory. Really low standards for hall of fame when it comes to him 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AikmTr00.htm

The league was different, no doubt. Plus he didn't have to worry about his team dealing with the salary cap. It was the same old same old teams at the top of the league. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The league was different, no doubt. Plus he didn't have to worry about his team dealing with the salary cap. It was the same old same old teams at the top of the league. 

O I know, I’d take Romos opinion over his though. Aikman could do nothing but talk about Ryan’s SB loss and the falcons half the game. The bias was there.

Matt played poorly the first half and picked it up 2nd half. LT is killing this team though. Everyone else held up decently well. JT has to stop fumbling in critical moments. 

4 minutes ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

O I know, I’d take Romos opinion over his though. Aikman could do nothing but talk about Ryan’s SB loss and the falcons half the game. The bias was there.

Matt played poorly the first half and picked it up 2nd half. LT is killing this team though. Everyone else held up decently well. JT has to stop fumbling in critical moments. 

He is not that far off. We have seen it with the Colts, we saw it in that last few drives vs the Patriots too in that SB. If everything is perfect, Ryan makes great decisions. He doesn't handle contact well to not fumble when sacked, goes backwards while taking a sack (last drive vs Patriots in SB costing a FG), all these have been weaknesses for long. When he has gotten slower and his arm gotten weaker, they are all magnified with the Colts.

That is the thing. The Colts are getting 3 to 4 good drives from Matt Ryan every game. He doesn't give us the good floor we wanted for 60 minutes. He was getting the ball out faster and better releases for the SAME time the OL was giving him. It is not like the OL played that much better in the second half, Ryan played much better with faster decision making which was expected from a vet like him for 60 minutes. He just can't deliver that at this stage in his life and unlike you, we are not tied emotionally to Ryan whatsoever.

This team is just depressing. We need to just lose out and draft the next QB for this team. If we get a real QB we could turn this team around fairly quickly, there is a lot of talent on this roster, but none of it matters if you can't move the ball. I'm not happy with Ballard, but Irsay seems set on him, so we need to utilize the guys we have now by getting someone in this draft who can actually play QB.

The Offense had zero......ZERO yards for an entire quarter (and almost a half of the 2nd!). Matt Ryan had negative yards.

It's painfully obvious that Matt is gone after this year, but why is Nick Foles on this team?

If Sam isn't the answer either, why has Foles not seen the field at all?

Being in QB Purgatory sure does suck.  

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Narrative writers will be saying that you can't adjust a playbook in the middle of the season.  Nonsense. 

These guys have been playing football their entire lives and have blocked outside run plays at some point in their careers.  Whether or not track star JT has actually run any is another issue.

There is no reason the team can't install and practice even just two outside run plays from RPO formation, or practice the quick toss play from Ryan under center.

Bullshit Youre Wrong GIF by HannahWitton

I am still chuckling at the August pronouncement of 2006coltsbestyearever that Ryan is a HOF QB.  I remember ripping him big time. Try this on for size:  According to ESPN Stats & Info, the Colts’ failure to complete a pass until there was 7:05 left in the second quarter was the longest drought to start a game since the 2020 Broncos— on a day when wide receiver Kendall Hinton was pressed into service during the COVID season.

Nice HOF performance.  

LOL

10 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Is there any left to say?  Just going to watch the rest of this year play out and see what happens next.

Exactly my thoughts.  Everybody finally sees what we are.  Now just sit back and hope Raimann develops so we get some clarity on where to go this offseason.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Exactly my thoughts.  Everybody finally sees what we are.  Now just sit back and hope Raimann develops so we get some clarity on where to go this offseason.

It will be interesting who the new gm/coach decide to retain in terms of players. I think we maybe looking at a total rebuild. Wow, Irsay proclamation of all chips in sure looks completely silly. What a year!!!

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan has been far from great but he gave us the lead the last 2 weeks, our D folded when it mattered most. We don't create Turnovers and give up big plays on 3rd and longs of all things. If it is 4th and short I would go for it every time if I was the opposing the team playing our D. Hurts in shotgun, just runs it easily on 4th and 2 and get an easy 3 yards. The hole he had to run through last week was mind boggling. We get that stop we win. Tonight we let a rookie QB look like Joe Montana in the 4th Qtr. 

Look 2006, you need to stop defending Ryan. He's done! Age has caught up to him. He's slow in the pocket, imo not seeing the field, reluctant to throw long to back off the defense because of his arm strengh consistently and starting to look like a deer in headlights. Understandingly but he's a nfl qb. He has to ball up are get out. I know your as big a Colt fan as anybody but you have to face reality. It's tough man!!

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not Necessarily 

I think the Colts lose their next 3 games and then it's a toss up against the Giants and Texans.  So they could end up 5-11-1 which I think might get us the 5th - 8th pick in the draft.   I'm not worried about Cleveland being in front of us.   With Watson they will win a couple more games.  

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

No I am using it as a point that being able to run isn’t going to off set poor oline play and really I am comparing Ryan and Sam’s performances behind the same oline.  Being able to move only helps if the line gives you protection, it doesn’t make up for it.

You really can't imo. Not playing the same teams.

Archived